Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many Freshmen Reshirted this year.

Started by FATHAWG08, November 16, 2015, 10:48:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

Just wondering how many were able to redshirt this year.
I love off season Football!!

whosiskid

I've wondered about this myself. I was looking at the commit list and noticed that a lot of really good prospects like Jamario Bell hadn't played. We know that Ty Storey and Robert Town both redshirted at QB (who are, I think, our two best long-term prospects at the position). These were the ones I was wondering about. Some I thought I saw early in the season, but not since:

Jamario Bell
Ty Storey
Will Gragg
Jalen Merrick
Colton Jackson
C. J. O'Grady
Austin Cantrell
Daytrieon Dean
Deon Stewart
LaMichael Pettway
Nate Dalton
Kendrick Jackson
Derrick Graham
Willie Sykes
Tyler Phillips

The members of the class of 2015 I know that have played a lot are Zach Rogers, Hjalte Froholdt, Dre Greenlaw, Jeremiah Ledbetter, Rawleigh Williams III, Dominique Reed, and Ryan Pulley. I know I've left someone off one list or the other, or put someone on the wrong list, but it is 3:21 am and I need to go to bed.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

deedster84

Quote from: whosiskid on November 17, 2015, 03:21:51 am
I've wondered about this myself. I was looking at the commit list and noticed that a lot of really good prospects like Jamario Bell hadn't played. We know that Ty Storey and Robert Town both redshirted at QB (who are, I think, our two best long-term prospects at the position). These were the ones I was wondering about. Some I thought I saw early in the season, but not since:

Jamario Bell
Ty Storey
Will Gragg
Jalen Merrick
Colton Jackson
C. J. O'Grady
Austin Cantrell
Daytrieon Dean
Deon Stewart
LaMichael Pettway
Nate Dalton
Kendrick Jackson
Derrick Graham
Willie Sykes
Tyler Phillips

The members of the class of 2015 I know that have played a lot are Zach Rogers, Hjalte Froholdt, Dre Greenlaw, Jeremiah Ledbetter, Rawleigh Williams III, Dominique Reed, and Ryan Pulley. I know I've left someone off one list or the other, or put someone on the wrong list, but it is 3:21 am and I need to go to bed.

Sykes has been playing. Seen him on special teams. Kendrick Jackson has been our fullback.

PorkRinds

Jamario Bell
Ty Storey
Will Gragg
Jalen Merrick
Colton Jackson
C. J. O'Grady
Austin Cantrell
Daytrieon Dean
Deon Stewart
LaMichael Pettway
Nate Dalton
Kendrick Jackson
Derrick Graham
Willie Sykes
Tyler Phillips

Ricky Town

Wildhog

I really like how many they were able to redshirt.  Just wish Rogers and Allen wouldn't have played.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ArKan5a5 KiD

Add QB Ricky Town to that list as well. Nm....lol Beat me to it.

jjdlc

KlubhouseKonnected

Jamario Bell
Ty Storey
Will Gragg
Jalen Merrick
Colton Jackson
C. J. O'Grady
Austin Cantrell
Daytrieon Dean
Deon Stewart
LaMichael Pettway
Nate Dalton
Kendrick Jackson
Derrick Graham
Willie Sykes
Tyler Phillips

Hasn't Jackson been taking some snaps at fullback?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

onebadrubi

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

The_Iceman

onebadrubi

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RebelW

whosiskid

We are really going to have a talented team next year, especially on defense. We lose only a couple of key people defensively, and I don't think anyone is going to turn pro this year. I suppose pretty much all of this year's class will be redshirted, except for Agim, who might even start by the end of his freshman year (someone I read said that they thought the defense would be schemed around Agim by his sophomore year; he is supposed to be that good).

The offensive line could be scary next fall. We have some back, but the heart of the line will most likely be gone. Ragnow might be the only starter back. We could see some freshmen starters. Wallace hasn't play as big a role as I had thought he would.

In fact, it seems that the entire offense has flip-flopped. We entered the year with the offense all set, but with lots of questions at WR. Next fall would could be thick at WR, with lots of excellent players, but with QB, running back, TE, and the offensive line as question marks. We'll be fine by the end of the season, but I hope we can win our games while waiting for the offense to gel.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

The_Iceman

For the 2016 Class, I think Agim will play. One of the LB's will probably get into the rotation and play on special teams too. All of the WR's will redshirt, as well as Capps and Guidry. If we get any JUCO O-linemen, they will of course play right away. Other than that, I expect most to redshirt.

Hogdomer

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2015, 02:19:33 pm
For the 2016 Class, I think Agim will play. One of the LB's will probably get into the rotation and play on special teams too. All of the WR's will redshirt, as well as Capps and Guidry. If we get any JUCO O-linemen, they will of course play right away. Other than that, I expect most to redshirt.

Whoever we sign at RB will definitely play and play a lot.  Collins will likely go pro and RWIII will not be back until Fall at the earliest.  In Spring, we will have Kody Walker, Denzell Evans and Juan Day.  Ouch.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 17, 2015, 02:31:32 pm
Whoever we sign at RB will definitely play and play a lot.  Collins will likely go pro and RWIII will not be back until Fall at the earliest.  In Spring, we will have Kody Walker, Denzell Evans and Juan Day.  Ouch.

I was only referring to the ones committed right now, but yes.... any RB signed will need to play in 2016.

scruf

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 17, 2015, 02:19:33 pm
I agree that all of the WRs will redshirt unless one of them is Tyrie Cleveland.

The Hogfather

Jamario Bell
Ty Storey
Will Gragg
Jalen Merrick
Colton Jackson
C. J. O'Grady
Austin Cantrell
Daytrieon Dean
Deon Stewart
LaMichael Pettway
Nate Dalton
Kendrick Jackson
Derrick Graham
Willie Sykes
Tyler Phillips

That's one heck of a redshirt class!

Arthur pigby sellers.

Really wish Rogers, Pulley and Sykes had redshirted this year, but that is a good redshirt group.  I assume that's CBB's largest redshirt class since he's been here. 

whosiskid

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 17, 2015, 04:53:37 pm
I assume that's CBB's largest redshirt class since he's been here.

I think so, too. I think it is a reflection of two things. One is how many gaps Petrino left in the cupboard after he left. Petrino was especially bad with the offensive line, so all of Bielema/Pittman's guys had to play right away. The other is how well they have recruited since getting here. Though they almost made some mistakes. They were late in offering Dre Greenlaw. Can you imagine if he had gone to Arkansas State? A three star who will almost certainly be the SEC defensive freshman of the year. No one offered him except second tier schools and we almost didn't. Still, he is on campus and the surprise star of the class.

But I love that we have guys like Jamario Bell redshirted. However, I think Bell might not have been redshirted had he enrolled last spring. I don't think he was interested in doing that, partly because he hadn't planned things academically so he could and partly because he was a major force on his basketball team, and I can imagine that appealed to him.

If Agim is going to enroll for the Winter . . . is Arkansas on the semester or quarter system? I was on the semester system at OBU and in New Haven, and the quarter system at the U of Chicago (I hated the quarter system). The German and English universities are on the quarter system. Anyway, if Agim is part of spring training, I think he'll be a lock to play a lot in the fall. For one thing, except against LSU our pass rush has sucked. It is the one glaring weakness in the defense. And by all accounts Agim is a freakish pass rusher. He may be inserted for all passing downs regardless of how much he is playing otherwise.

I agree that any juco offensive linemen will pretty much instantly play. I think Jake Heinrich might also have a shot to play. I think they'll look at him when he arrives and then make a decision on whether they think he can contribute immediately. Also, while I think it unlikely that Springer turns pro, if he does I think one of the freshman TEs might get a shot, depending on how they feel about Gragg, Cantrell, and O'Grady.

tophawg19

I think Peavey comes out of the QB battle as the winner . especially with a revamped O-LINe.  Peavey has easily the best arm and mobility . he just needs to get the playbook and reads down.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ChicoHog

I believe Greenlaw was offered by UGA even before we did.  But there were not a lot of D1 offers.  UGA coaching staff was on top of it. 

secneahog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 17, 2015, 09:00:41 pm
I believe Greenlaw was offered by UGA even before we did.  But there were not a lot of D1 offers.  UGA coaching staff was on top of it.

Yes, UGA offered late.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Pork Twain

The CBB mode is finally taking effect and that is why this was a 4-5 year turnaround and not a 2-3.  It takes time to build a team through walk-ons and redshirting.  We will NEVER out-recruit the top schools but we can out-develop them.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Deep Shoat

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 17, 2015, 07:24:12 pm
I think Peavey comes out of the QB battle as the winner . especially with a revamped O-LINe.  Peavey has easily the best arm and mobility . he just needs to get the playbook and reads down.
You're joking, right?  Peavey will come out of the spring looking to transfer or change positions.  He will never play QB for the Hogs.
All Gas, No Brakes!

JaketheSnake

Good discussion... Don't ruin it with QB talk and transfers

gmarv

should be interesting who will be next years dre.if I were a betting man I would bet we can,t pick him out until after the fact. who excels early like dre.sure is fun to speculate thou.

onebadrubi

Quote from: gmarv on November 18, 2015, 08:46:30 am
should be interesting who will be next years dre.if I were a betting man I would bet we can,t pick him out until after the fact. who excels early like dre.sure is fun to speculate thou.

In the LB'ing core we may not see a freshman step up like that unless injury.  I am hoping someone already on campus can secure that spot in either the extra practices after season or in the spring.  On the Defensive side we only lose Gaines and Hodge, but if you are talking about just as a stud standout impact then I think you are spot on.  I'm hoping it's the entire DB rotation though.  We saw a lot of promise from them last year, but I think we are learning that Spaight and Mitchell made up for a lot in the back 7, but now that Toliver, liddel, Dean, and Collins have had a full year trying to lock it down, I hope they shine next year, I expect them too.

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

FATHAWG08

Looking at this list we have redshirted quite a few 4 star recruits. That's pretty impressive  that this staff was willing to redshirt some highly recruited players for the betterment of the program's future versus the present. In this day/age of win at all cost.
I love off season Football!!

wholehog92

Quote from: gmarv on November 18, 2015, 08:46:30 am

So far this class, I'm most excited about Agim, but he wouldn't be a real surprise since he's so highly rated.  I think a dark horse player is Carmouche.  He's at a position we're thin so he should at least get a long look.  He's a really under rated recruit in my estimation, so he fits the surprise category as well.  I think Capps will ultimately end up being a pleasant surprise as well, but I don't think it will be this coming season.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Beaverfever

I thought O'Grady played earlier in the year. 

ricepig

Beaverfever

Hoggish1