Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What about LB and DB?

Started by Oklahawg, November 16, 2015, 09:46:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Anyone care to make some predictions on additional commits at LB and DB?

Are we done? Who is on your wishlist?

(Lots of RB chatter...thought I'd get us thinking on the other side of the ball.)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawghiggs

I also wouldn't mind flipping this young man to us. https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Eric-Kendzior-169611   I get that we normally recruit better, but take a look at that GPA. Talk about helping the APR out.

jackflash

Have been wondering about DB myself. I was hoping we would a couple from Texas this year

hawginbigd1

Fulton at DB and Donta Evans at LB

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 17, 2015, 09:15:10 am
Fulton at DB and Donta Evans at LB

I like that. Evans would be a flip from OM, right? Fulton is thought to be an LSU lean?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

IronHog

Arkansas always needs either needs middle guys/LBers or DBs that can slide down to WLB/nickel.

Really a big Achilles heel of recruiting.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 17, 2015, 12:03:43 pm
I like that. Evans would be a flip from OM, right? Fulton is thought to be an LSU lean?
Yeah I think Evans is on the fence and our winning ways might just be enough to push him over, Fulton I think is wide open, but we are on the short list. I don't think it can hurt to have a team mate tugging on his sleeve.

Wildhog

We recently offered this LB, so it looks like they're trying to bring in one more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-A.J.-Hotchkins-170299
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2015, 03:43:49 pm
We recently offered this LB, so it looks like they're trying to bring in one more.

I don't hold out much hope, he'll have to stay an extra semester to qualify for a SEC school.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2015, 03:43:49 pm

I feel better about White than this guy, i believe he is all Duck.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 17, 2015, 03:47:13 pm
I feel better about White than this guy, i believe he is all Duck.

That's what's been said.  I'm just saying, it sounds like they're not done at LB.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2015, 03:49:33 pm
That's what's been said.  I'm just saying, it sounds like they're not done at LB.

No doubt, something doesn't add up in their math according to my math, haha. Of course, they actually know what the numbers are, compared to me.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2015, 03:49:33 pm

I'm ok with that though.  In our system a LB can play many different ways.  They are great bodies to have for special teams, full backs, and then the obvious the LB'er position.  We also will probably see a lb'er here and there brought in simply to be a 4th and 5th year player, it's Bielema's style. 

bigdaddyhawg

I don't know who we're on or who we have a chance with, but after watching last night's demolition of our defense, I'm asking, no BEGGING, that our coaching staff do whatever they have to do to get us an influx of talent on our defense, especially at LB and S.

If we don't get some talent at those positions and quickly, we're going to have lots more nights where our D gives up 50 points and a gillion yards passing.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

presidenthog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 05:04:34 pm
I don't know who we're on or who we have a chance with, but after watching last night's demolition of our defense, I'm asking, no BEGGING, that our coaching staff do whatever they have to do to get us an influx of talent on our defense, especially at LB and S.

If we don't get some talent at those positions and quickly, we're going to have lots more nights where our D gives up 50 points and a gillion yards passing.
bret definitely said they are looking to add more on the defensive side of the ball. we still need OL and RB.  I know we are running out of spots in this class. I wish we would process some non contributors but we wont.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: presidenthog on November 22, 2015, 05:10:27 pm
bret definitely said they are looking to add more on the defensive side of the ball. we still need OL and RB.  I know we are running out of spots in this class. I wish we would process some non contributors but we wont.

Yep, that's a tough one.  I respect CBB so much for that position, but it puts so much pressure to hit with the few guys we're going to sign.

I hate myself for even thinking this, but I'd love to see us find a JC kid, like Spaight, who could come in with maturity and be a difference maker, even though it took MS until the second year to produce.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

deedster84

IMO, there are going to be some big names we haven't heard about yet after the season. Especially, with a lot of these coaching changes. Minds are going to change.

ldfergu

Quote from: deedster84 on November 22, 2015, 05:41:08 pm
IMO, there are going to be some big names we haven't heard about yet after the season. Especially, with a lot of these coaching changes. Minds are going to change.

I hope so but a lot of times the new coach sells himself and makes the kid believe in the mission. We definitely need some studs defensively

ldfergu

Seems like we play Bijhon more against running teams. Can he develop more into an every down and pass rush guy? Just too big?

What about Froholdt next year?

PorkRinds

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 22, 2015, 05:44:34 pm
Seems like we play Bijhon more against running teams. Can he develop more into an every down and pass rush guy? Just too big?

I believe Hjalte will be a force on the inside next year after a year of experience and another with Herbert. 

presidenthog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 22, 2015, 05:44:34 pm

I think bijon and Froholdt are both just run stop guys. right now we are putting our DE'S on the inside against spread teams and on 3rd down.

ldfergu

Also- is Anthony Brown still on the team?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 22, 2015, 06:14:04 pm
Also- is Anthony Brown still on the team?

Excellent question!!  I thought about him several times last night as I was watching our sluggish looking DE's get no pass rush down after down.

Oklahawg

Brown is redshirting, the last I heard.

whosiskid

Froholdt will be an excellent pass rusher. His biggest attribute is his athleticism and agility. That is why he could have played DE. But they decided they were a little thinner at DT than DE. I think he'll be an every down DT as early as next year.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

presidenthog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 22, 2015, 07:28:45 pm
Excellent question!!  I thought about him several times last night as I was watching our sluggish looking DE's get no pass rush down after down.
I believe that we have one defensive end that was injured and hasn't really been able to come back from it fully. CBB said he told him he might want to start considering other options.  it may have been brown. CBB said in a press conference that he and that individual will discuss where he is after the season and he will do something where he is still on scholarship but it frees up a spot.

hogman78

Quote from: presidenthog on November 22, 2015, 09:04:53 pm
I believe that we have one defensive end that was injured and hasn't really been able to come back from it fully. CBB said he told him he might want to start considering other options.  it may have been brown. CBB said in a press conference that he and that individual will discuss where he is after the season and he will do something where he is still on scholarship but it frees up a spot.

I think that is Brandon Lewis

presidenthog

yes B Lew is what he called him. yes that is who it was.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2015, 08:13:54 pm
Brown is redshirting, the last I heard.

Hopefully he comes back strong, because I've seen some serious flashes from that kid.

He could be that speed rusher IMO.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

One of the most discouraging things about the way our pass defense keeps getting shredded is that so few DBs are committed.

Agim will hopefully improve the rush along with development from some of the holdovers and that will help a lot, but we need some fast twitch CBs and safeties.

Speed alone will not cure all the ills due to bad angles and bad tackling, but it would help a lot.

Fulton would be #1 on my list of wants. I think Greenlaw will continue to get better and better at LB and hopefully Graham and another redshirt or two can improve the athleticism at the LB spot and maybe Carmouche or another freshman.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

onebadrubi

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on November 22, 2015, 10:07:46 pm
One of the most discouraging things about the way our pass defense keeps getting shredded is that so few DBs are committed.

Agim will hopefully improve the rush along with development from some of the holdovers and that will help a lot, but we need some fast twitch CBs and safeties.

Speed alone will not cure all the ills due to bad angles and bad tackling, but it would help a lot.

Fulton would be #1 on my list of wants. I think Greenlaw will continue to get better and better at LB and hopefully Graham and another redshirt or two can improve the athleticism at the LB spot and maybe Carmouche or another freshman.

We have good solid numbers at DB so long as we continue to recruit them the next two years we will have a nice setup there each year adding younger talent as older players graduate. We are seeing Richardson really step up, saw pulley a little bit early in the year, get dean and Collins back next year and there is a few others sitting on the bench just waiting.

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 22, 2015, 10:58:01 pm
We have good solid numbers at DB so long as we continue to recruit them the next two years we will have a nice setup there each year adding younger talent as older players graduate. We are seeing Richardson really step up, saw pulley a little bit early in the year, get dean and Collins back next year and there is a few others sitting on the bench just waiting.

Forgot this but it was mentioned somewhere - DJ Dean has been fighting turf toe all year.

Styflin

We have around 6-7 slots left in this class if I'm not mistaken. We need two RBs and 3 OL at a minimum. Numbers are tight.

Coach commented that he hasn't recruited well enough numbers wise at LB the last couple classes. This begs the question...

Why do we have 4 WRs, a 2 star TE, and a QB currently committed? One would think that 4 of those players aren't really needed in this class.

We have major holes and it appears IMO that we have some committed that we don't really need.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2015, 11:02:24 pm
Forgot this but it was mentioned somewhere - DJ Dean has been fighting turf toe all year.

Yup and its giving all the practice reps to younger guys as well as a little game time. If you notice are CB's aren't getting beat on the outside that much.  Our middle is open obviously but we do have 2 pretty good corners. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Styflin on November 22, 2015, 11:03:47 pm
We have around 6-7 slots left in this class if I'm not mistaken. We need two RBs and 3 OL at a minimum. Numbers are tight.

Coach commented that he hasn't recruited well enough numbers wise at LB the last couple classes. This begs the question...

Why do we have 4 WRs, a 2 star TE, and a QB currently committed? One would think that 4 of those players aren't really needed in this class.

We have major holes and it appears IMO that we have some committed that we don't really need.

See what D reed has done for us this year with his spoed at WR and now kick off return?  We are desperately searching for more of that I believe. Also make it 3 WR's as I'm not sure ANYONE knows just where Hammonds will wind up just yet.

presidenthog

ok I can say with the WR that all of those WR will red shirt. after next year we will have a max exodus at the WR postion. Hatcher will redshirt and come back next year. So next year we lose hollister, reed, hatcher, and morgan. I may be missing one. I believe Cornelius is a JR next year. so that is basically all of our deep except 1. that is why we are taking all of the WR. also we just removed 2. the 2 star TE... idk I mean I figure Hunter is gone this year and after next year sprinkle will be gone. I can't see some random 2 star TE making the field with the 3 4 stars we got last year until they are gone. that is the one I will agree with. CBB says he will take a QB every year. expect some transfers so that will even itself out.

Styflin

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 12:22:38 am
ok I can say with the WR that all of those WR will red shirt. after next year we will have a max exodus at the WR postion. Hatcher will redshirt and come back next year. So next year we lose hollister, reed, hatcher, and morgan. I may be missing one. I believe Cornelius is a JR next year. so that is basically all of our deep except 1. that is why we are taking all of the WR. also we just removed 2. the 2 star TE... idk I mean I figure Hunter is gone this year and after next year sprinkle will be gone. I can't see some random 2 star TE making the field with the 3 4 stars we got last year until they are gone. that is the one I will agree with. CBB says he will take a QB every year. expect some transfers so that will even itself out.

I think we need 2 of the 4 WRs they have committed. A dynamic freshman WR can come in a make an impact, so we can refocus on that group in the next class if needed.

The QB is no longer a need with the Ricky Town transfer. Honestly didn't think we needed him that much before the transfer. Still have Austin, Rafe, Ty, and now Ricky. If Cole was a highly recruited and ranked QB I could see it, but I'm not sure that position is worth committing a spot to right now.

We certainly don't need a TE unless he is an elite player. Maybe the one we have committed is elite, but his ranking and offers says he isn't. We don't know about Hunter and we just redshirted 3 four star TEs. Still have Sprink and Krause.

We have major concerns on defense. Our depth problems are across the board. Our special teams need real scholoeship players.

I would prefer we use 3-4 of those slots on DB, DL, and LB.

presidenthog

Quote from: Styflin on November 23, 2015, 12:34:08 am
I think we need 2 of the 4 WRs they have committed. A dynamic freshman WR can come in a make an impact, so we can refocus on that group in the next class if needed.

The QB is no longer a need with the Ricky Town transfer. Honestly didn't think we needed him that much before the transfer. Still have Austin, Rafe, Ty, and now Ricky. If Cole was a highly recruited and ranked QB I could see it, but I'm not sure that position is worth committing a spot to right now.

We certainly don't need a TE unless he is an elite player. Maybe the one we have committed is elite, but his ranking and offers says he isn't. We don't know about Hunter and we just redshirted 3 four star TEs. Still have Sprink and Krause.

We have major concerns on defense. Our depth problems are across the board. Our special teams need real scholoeship players.

I would prefer we use 3-4 of those slots on DB, DL, and LB.

I'm sorry but you are incorrect a stud freshman WR will never come in and play immediately here. in our system you have to know the whole playbook, know where to line up, and we require our WR'S to be able to read coverages similar to a qb, because our routes have options depending on coverage.  I do not think in our system you will ever see a freshman start from day 1 no matter how gifted.

also on cole kelly, we are going to take a qb. this is the first qb that we have taken that had not been committed several years prior for this staff. I also have read LSU fans comments on him and I'll say that they are not flattering. they don't think highly of his ability(but what would they know about good QB play?) , even more troubling though they do not speak highly of his character. some of the descriptions of him were "he is a turd, let arky have him" "we have no interest in that trouble maker and that's fine by me". idk what they know that we don't but usually I feel this staff vets a player pretty well but you never know.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 17, 2015, 03:40:46 pm
Yeah I think Evans is on the fence and our winning ways might just be enough to push him over, Fulton I think is wide open, but we are on the short list. I don't think it can hurt to have a team mate tugging on his sleeve.

I hope we get Evans, but "our winning ways"?  We're 6-5. 

EFBAB

Exit Pursued by a Boar

You get a QB every year. You have to.  The TE? They see something in him, and TEs sometimes become LBs or FBs. Some TEs even become OLs-- see Peters, Jason. 4 WRs?  We do have a lot, and that number seems high.  Are any of them possible CBs?

EFBAB

JoeyCapital

The state of our WR corp wasn't good at all when those offers were extended. Even before the injuries WR was a huge question mark. Nobody knew Morgan, Reed, and Jc were gonna turn out to be one of the best units in the SEC.

Can't get on the staff now for having outstanding offers to receivers. That's a classic mmqb.

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Oklahawg

You recruit a complete team each class, basically. That is 22 guys. Then, the last 3 slots flesh out specific needs or "best player available." When you deviate from that too far you get in trouble, and wind up like Nutt with 9 DBs in one class.

I still look for almost 25 and an almost complete starting 22.

Hawk

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 12:53:39 am
I'm sorry but you are incorrect a stud freshman WR will never come in and play immediately here. in our system you have to know the whole playbook, know where to line up, and we require our WR'S to be able to read coverages similar to a qb, because our routes have options depending on coverage.  I do not think in our system you will ever see a freshman start from day 1 no matter how gifted.

also on cole kelly, we are going to take a qb. this is the first qb that we have taken that had not been committed several years prior for this staff. I also have read LSU fans comments on him and I'll say that they are not flattering. they don't think highly of his ability(but what would they know about good QB play?) , even more troubling though they do not speak highly of his character. some of the descriptions of him were "he is a turd, let arky have him" "we have no interest in that trouble maker and that's fine by me". idk what they know that we don't but usually I feel this staff vets a player pretty well but you never know.

They don't know anything about him, other than he seems to have never been that interested in LSWho. The people I know that know him have all spoken to his enormous talent in football, basketball, and baseball. The kid can play them all.

Last week in the state play-off's, he rolled an ankle in the 1st quarter. He played the rest of the game, and pushed his team into another win. This Friday night, his team takes on their arch, crosstown rival for the right to play in the championship game in the Superdome. He has already beaten that team once this year, soundly. Hope he does it again. With all that said, Cole is all Hog and, personally, I like that in him. He wants to be a Razorback. Those kind of kids are always worth having.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 12:53:39 am

Cole was involved in a shooting where one of his friends died.  He and his friends had been drinking, and he (I think the story was that he had only had one beer or something) decided to drive his very intoxicated friend home.  As they pulled into his neighborhood, a neighbor came out and started shooting, thinking the kids were breaking into his car.  The neighbor was charged, and found guilty.  Kelley never had any charges, and testified against the shooter.  He still has a bullet lodged in his leg.  They can talk about his character all day long, but if it's that incident they are holding against him, it says more about them than it does him.  JMO of course.

Styflin

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2015, 07:27:17 am
You recruit a complete team each class, basically. That is 22 guys. Then, the last 3 slots flesh out specific needs or "best player available." When you deviate from that too far you get in trouble, and wind up like Nutt with 9 DBs in one class.

I agree on the complete class sentiment. The problem is IMO that previous classes have been imbalanced. Bret admitted as much after the game. We started the season looking at a class of around 18. Some players have moved on and some will go to the NFL. The latest number is 21-22. More things have to happen to get to the 25 mark and that may very well be the final number.

We are in desperate need in certain areas. We already know that the next 5-6 slots need to be OL and RB. That puts us at 21 commits. Where do the DB, LB, and DL numbers come from? I maintain that 4 WRs, a TE, and a QB aren't exactly top priorities in this class. I could be wrong.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2015, 07:27:17 am

If we are actually taking around 25, then that's significant.  We've generally been operating on the assumption that it's more like 22ish.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tim Harris

I'm not sure if we will take anymore LB but we definitely need some DBs

TNhawgfan

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 23, 2015, 06:07:55 am
I hope we get Evans, but "our winning ways"?  We're 6-5. 

I thought that was an odd quote too. Record wise, we've underachieved what just about everyone had for us before the season started
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

onebadrubi

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 10:07:29 am
I'm not sure if we will take anymore LB but we definitely need some DBs

Think it's that bad?

We lose two this year (Mckinney and Gaines). 
Lose two the following year being Dean and Collins (also Thurman).
We have three with two years of eligibilty left after this year. (Richardson, Liddell, Tolliver)
Three years of eligibility left (Floyd and Ramirez)
Freshman this year (Reid,Keaton,Sykes, Pulley, Dalton)

We have 1 committed now.  I think we will see 1 or 2 added max.