Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Irons vs wedges distances

Started by GolfNut57, February 21, 2018, 10:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

After losing a substantial amount of weight over the last year or so I have picked up around 15-20 yards more distance on full swings with each of the wedges, minus the PW, in my bag. (examples: GW went from 95 up to 110, SW went from 80 yards up to 100 yards, LW went from 60 up to 80 etc.) But that increase in distance did not happen with the rest of the irons in my bag as in the 6I through the PW. I still hit those clubs the same distance as before the weight loss. I still hit my #'s 3,4, and 5 Hybrids the same distance as before also. The driver, I have picked up another 15-25 yards but I think that is only because I went from hitting a regular flex 65g weight shaft to a Sr flex shaft that is 45g.

Question here is...........would anyone here have any idea why I picked up the extra yardage with my wedges and not through the set as a whole?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

kingofdequeen

I can pick up like 50 yds with my lob wedge when I least expect it. 

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on February 24, 2018, 05:57:35 am
I can pick up like 50 yds with my lob wedge when I least expect it. 

I've got that shot, there's usually OB or water involved afterwards.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 21, 2018, 10:59:44 pm
After losing a substantial amount of weight over the last year or so I have picked up around 15-20 yards more distance on full swings with each of the wedges, minus the PW, in my bag. (examples: GW went from 95 up to 110, SW went from 80 yards up to 100 yards, LW went from 60 up to 80 etc.) But that increase in distance did not happen with the rest of the irons in my bag as in the 6I through the PW. I still hit those clubs the same distance as before the weight loss. I still hit my #'s 3,4, and 5 Hybrids the same distance as before also. The driver, I have picked up another 15-25 yards but I think that is only because I went from hitting a regular flex 65g weight shaft to a Sr flex shaft that is 45g.

Question here is...........would anyone here have any idea why I picked up the extra yardage with my wedges and not through the set as a whole?

That's kind of interesting. Maybe, subconsciously, you're swing is slightly different with your wedges than irons?

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 24, 2018, 08:38:57 am
That's kind of interesting. Maybe, subconsciously, you're swing is slightly different with your wedges than irons?

Beats the heck out of me. Obviously the swing would be more upright with the wedges vs the irons since the shafts are shorter. But that is why I am asking for opinions here. The only thing I can think of is that with the shorter clubs I am able to make more solid contact by hitting the ball with the center of the clubface (the sweet spot) as opposed to swinging with the other irons from the PW on up. Maybe I need to pull a Chambeau, or whatever his name is, and have all my irons shafted the same length as my wedges. lol
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

majestic

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 24, 2018, 03:51:35 pm
Beats the heck out of me. Obviously the swing would be more upright with the wedges vs the irons since the shafts are shorter. But that is why I am asking for opinions here. The only thing I can think of is that with the shorter clubs I am able to make more solid contact by hitting the ball with the center of the clubface (the sweet spot) as opposed to swinging with the other irons from the PW on up. Maybe I need to pull a Chambeau, or whatever his name is, and have all my irons shafted the same length as my wedges. lol
Because you are farther away from the ball and the sweet spot becomes smaller. I've never been able to hit any iron longer than a 5. I might as well get rid of 3 and 4. If I'm more than 180 or so out, I'll use a hybrid/wood.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on February 24, 2018, 04:01:45 pm
Because you are farther away from the ball and the sweet spot becomes smaller. I've never been able to hit any iron longer than a 5. I might as well get rid of 3 and 4. If I'm more than 180 or so out, I'll use a hybrid/wood.

I've got the 4 and 5 irons in my set of Pings but they stay in the closet. I've replaced them and the 5 wood with the 3, 4, and 5 numbered hybrids. 20, 23, and 26 degree respectively. Been thinking of replacing the six iron lately with a hybrid as it's become harder to hit also.

root_hawg

Ball placement change, lower ball flight?