Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trumain Carroll video press conference

Started by MrKnowItAll, January 10, 2018, 01:15:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

Does anyone have any hypotheses about why Herb just became one of the top 3 paid SC coaches in the country? We were all ready to see him go and Harbaugh is generally a smart guy.

Just wondering if CBB was making him do things poorly or what? Will be interesting to see if UMich has a string of broken feet over the next couple years.

Danimal

Quote from: hogmolar on January 10, 2018, 08:05:31 pm
I also love the fact about having a Yoga instructor on staff. Flexibility is huge in sports but often overlooked. Also talking about lateral quickness needed in football versus vertical quickness saying that is needed in track was awesome.
I fully agree about the yoga. Great for flexibility, and most people would be surprised at the improved "off-balance" leverage one can achieve due to the core strength/bending that yoga requires. I've experienced this firsthand -- and I'm fairly old!..  ;)

WaltonCollege

Quote from: TebowHater on January 11, 2018, 05:21:38 pm
Does anyone have any hypotheses about why Herb just became one of the top 3 paid SC coaches in the country? We were all ready to see him go and Harbaugh is generally a smart guy.

Just wondering if CBB was making him do things poorly or what? Will be interesting to see if UMich has a string of broken feet over the next couple years.

don't know don't care gotta move on, Herb was so good that for 5 years we could never convert a third or fourth and short.  So he wasn't that good.

Results folks.  I don't care if the puts the players on a whisky diet, Just win, Baby.

Actually, whatever we were doing didn't work.  Would not surprise me if Herb turns out to be a really good coach at Michigan.  I expect he can develop toward any intent the HC has.  You want big strong powerful men, You got it.  You want lean faster men, you got it. 

#1 STUNNA

Big and slow can win in the big 10? maybe?

ChicoHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 12, 2018, 09:09:15 am
Big and slow can win in the big 10? maybe?
No they can't.  Penn st, Ohio st, Michigan, nebraska with scott frost and others are just as fast as many SEC teams.  Teams are different in each conference. 

I hope this guy is the real deal.  to me a major improvement is needed on tackling which strength is a big component.  Opponents break tackles against us constantly (especially LBs and DBs) while teams like Bama hardly ever miss tackles and I think it's because their players are stronger.  a lot of that is natural strength I realize but maybe we can determine what body parts need developing in order to tackle better. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Meh, I think CBB worshiped the ground Herb walked on. I would venture to guess that People in Madison and CBB both gave Herb a glowing recommendation. I'm glad for Him and us that he landed well. The foot injury thing will be something to watch. If they don't have the issues we may need to look into getting rid of our field turf.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

FraggleHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 12, 2018, 11:00:37 am
Meh, I think CBB worshiped the ground Herb walked on. I would venture to guess that People in Madison and CBB both gave Herb a glowing recommendation. I'm glad for Him and us that he landed well. The foot injury thing will be something to watch.If they don't have the issues we may need to look into getting rid of our field turf.

This is quite a controversial topic on the internet. There are a lot of articles with Strength and Conditioning claiming that quality artificial turf is actually more averse to injury than natural turf since the surface is uniform and the filler (recycled rubber) adds cushion. (I played on both surfaces in HS and College. I preferred the artificial turf.) Others state that natural turf is safer due to the fact that grass/soil is more forgiving. I don't have the time to do additional research, but conclusions seem to be mixed.

In the end, I don't foresee DWRRS ever going to natural grass. They went all in on artificial turf when they built the elevated practice fields. Typically teams have a natural grass practice field if the stadium has natural grass. Due to the fact that they are are elevated, I can't imagine a way for them to transition to natural grass. Of course, I'm not an engineer so I don't know for fact if natural grass on an elevated surface isn't possible. Just using common sense.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Flrazrback

Something wierd was going on to have these foot injuries. Coach Tru said he will look into it, he seemed a little perplexed by it which suggest it isn't a common issue.

jst01

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 12, 2018, 11:35:23 am
Due to the fact that they are are elevated, I can't imagine a way for them to transition to natural grass. Of course, I'm not an engineer so I don't know for fact if natural grass on an elevated surface isn't possible. Just using common sense.

I'm sure it could be done. They are putting green spaces and grass fields on the rooftops of skyscrapers.

ricepig

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 12, 2018, 11:35:23 am
This is quite a controversial topic on the internet. There are a lot of articles with Strength and Conditioning claiming that quality artificial turf is actually more averse to injury than natural turf since the surface is uniform and the filler (recycled rubber) adds cushion. (I played on both surfaces in HS and College. I preferred the artificial turf.) Others state that natural turf is safer due to the fact that grass/soil is more forgiving. I don't have the time to do additional research, but conclusions seem to be mixed.

In the end, I don't foresee DWRRS ever going to natural grass. They went all in on artificial turf when they built the elevated practice fields. Typically teams have a natural grass practice field if the stadium has natural grass. Due to the fact that they are are elevated, I can't imagine a way for them to transition to natural grass. Of course, I'm not an engineer so I don't know for fact if natural grass on an elevated surface isn't possible. Just using common sense.

One practice field is grass, the other is turf.

http://www.collegiatestadiums.com/2012/06/16/new-sod-and-turf-for-arkansas-practice-fields/

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 11, 2018, 05:13:19 pm
It bothered me that he didn't mention the need for the players to squat 600-700 pounds. What happens in a game when an Arkansas O-lineman needs to hold a 300 pound defensive tackle and a 300 pound noseguard over his head with each arm and he can't do it?

Unacceptable.
Now this is one of your shots at the previous regime that I can get behind.  The game has moved far beyond raw strength.

elviscat

We've hired a winner. This guy knows what he is talking about, very impressed.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 11, 2018, 02:39:39 pm
Michigan just made Ben Herbert the highest paid S&C coach in college football.  Texas A & M just doubled Jerry Schmidt's (OU) salary.

This may become the latest arms race in college football.  A lot of guys can take players and get them in the 450 lb bench press club.  It's another thing to make players (especially defensive players) strong AND fast.

It is the most important hire other than the HC. IMO they are the key to get kids to be better athletes.

Loved what he said about he's who he needs to be. The weight room is a tough place when you are hitting it hard day after day.

FANONTHEHILL

January 14, 2018, 06:01:23 am #66 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:21:47 am by FANONTHEHILL
Interesting that after he met Coach Carroll I asked my son how excited I was that everything will be done differently in the weight room.  He laughed and told be that I must have been on HOGVILLE again.  There are a couple lifts Coach Carroll is a fan of that Herbert didn't use for certain muscle groups and they will run more because of the up tempo, but their philosophies and programs are virtually identical.  I realize that everyone will continue to bash the previous staff in any way that they can, but Herbert's job was to build the pieces of the puzzle.  He did an excellent job of that.  The people above him didn't put the puzzle pieces together and often, they weren't even putting the same puzzle together. That is why they're gone. 

Prehab, condition, lift/train, rehab.  Those were already in place.  Games weren't lost in the weight room.  They were lost on the sideline and on the field.  I like everything I've heard from Coach Carroll.  He will do an excellent job here.  But we had a great S&C coach in the previous staff.  The most exciting thing about the program currently, is the fact that all of the coaches  seem to be on he same page.  That wasn't the case before.  These next few weeks are critical.  The team meets tomorrow night.  It's imperative that everyone in the building, from the top to the bottom be on the same page from day 1. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Silent

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 06:01:23 am
Interesting that after he met Coach Carroll I asked my son how excited I was that everything will be done differently in the weight room.  He laughed and told be that I must have been on HOGVILLE again.  There are a couple lifts Coach Carroll is a fan of that Herbert didn't use for certain muscle groups and they will run more because of the up tempo, but their philosophies and programs are virtually identical.  I realize that everyone will continue to bash the previous staff in any way that they can, but Herbert's job was to build the pieces of the puzzle.  He did an excellent job of that.  The people above him didn't put the puzzle pieces together and often, they weren't even putting the same puzzle together. That is why they're gone. 

Prehab, condition, lift/train, rehab.  Those were already in place.  Games weren't lost in the weight room.  They were lost on the sideline and on the field.  I like everything I've heard from Coach Carroll.  He will do an excellent job here.  But we had a great S&C coach in the previous staff.  The most exciting thing about the program currently, is the fact that all of the coaches  seem to be on he same page.  That wasn't the case before.  These next few weeks are critical.  The team meets tomorrow night.  It's imperative that everyone in the building, from the top to the bottom be on the same page from day 1.

Thank you for the insight. Maybe some of these yahoo's will listen to you.  I was acused if being The herb man himself posting on here because I said this exact same thing. Lol 😂

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 01:23:12 pm
Now this is one of your shots at the previous regime that I can get behind.  The game has moved far beyond raw strength.
This is interesting. I can recall only one other "shot." That was when it took a player to provide the motivational speech that got Arkansas off dead center against Coastal Carolina. I found myself asking where the coaches were for the first 3 1/2 quarters of that game.

Still some guy who identifies himself Tim from LR accused me of trying to save Bret Bielema's job the last two weeks of the season.

You can't both be right. Either I was taking shots at the previous staff or I was trying to save their jobs.

hoglady

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2018, 06:34:50 pm
This is interesting. I can recall only one other "shot." That was when it took a player to provide the motivational speech that got Arkansas off dead center against Coastal Carolina. I found myself asking where the coaches were for the first 3 1/2 quarters of that game.

Still some guy who identifies himself Tim from LR accused me of trying to save Bret Bielema's job the last two weeks of the season.

You can't both be right. Either I was taking shots at the previous staff or I was trying to save their jobs.

Tim always sounds a little on the crazy side if you ask me.
Guy must have a great memory - he's always telling you and Bo exactly what ya'll said on air 6 months ago.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Interesting that after he met Coach Carroll I asked my son how excited I was that everything will be done differently in the weight room.  He laughed and told be that I must have been on HOGVILLE again.  There are a couple lifts Coach Carroll is a fan of that Herbert didn’t use for certain muscle groups and they will run more because of the up tempo, but their philosophies and programs are virtually identical.  I realize that everyone will continue to bash the previous staff in any way that they can, but Herbert’s job was to build the pieces of the puzzle.  He did an excellent job of that.  The people above him didn’t put the puzzle pieces together and often, they weren’t even putting the same puzzle together. That is why they’re gone. 

Prehab, condition, lift/train, rehab.  Those were already in place.  Games weren’t lost in the weight room.  They were lost on the sideline and on the field.  I like everything I’ve heard from Coach Carroll.  He will do an excellent job here.  But we had a great S&C coach in the previous staff.  The most exciting thing about the program currently, is the fact that all of the coaches  seem to be on he same page.  That wasn’t the case before.  These next few weeks are critical.  The team meets tomorrow night.  It’s imperative that everyone in the building, from the top to the bottom be on the same page from day 1. 

Thanks - great post!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Peter Porker

And just like that Hogville experts are shut down.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Flrazrback

Lol, thanks for the inside knowledge. Coach Tru knows what is expected of the players and I have little doubt he will have them ready.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 14, 2018, 10:08:08 pm
Lol, thanks for the inside knowledge. Coach Tru knows what is expected of the players and I have little doubt he will have them ready.

To be clear, they have rearranged the weight room.  Moved equipment, changed stations, etc.  There will be minor changes, but nothing as extreme as many think.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

LawyerHog50

So you don't blame herb for all those 4th quarter meltdowns? Don't seem to remember having those with veltkamp.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on January 14, 2018, 10:29:36 pm
So you don't blame herb for all those 4th quarter meltdowns? Don't seem to remember having those with veltkamp.

No I don't. The failures in games were not from fatigue.  They were consistently being out schemed the entire second half of games.  Not the fourth quarter, the entire second half. That is not physical fatigue, that is failure to adjust at halftime and that's on the coaching staff.

liljo

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 10:59:10 pm
No I don't. The failures in games were not from fatigue.  They were consistently being out schemed the entire second half of games.  Not the fourth quarter, the entire second half. That is not physical fatigue, that is failure to adjust at halftime and that's on the coaching staff.

100% agreed.

On another note, please extend to your son thanks from an old Hog fan that is always very proud of our hard working players.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

greenie

Way too early for me to get excited about this guy.  I like some of the things I heard in the PC, but I doubt S&C will be better than it was under Herb.  It will be interesting to see if our overall team speed improves.

rtr

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2018, 10:59:10 pm
This is correct, CBB was the worst game coach I've seen at Arkansas.  That is saying a lot.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Kevin

I hope coach tru can figure out the broken foot problem. Something is not right for that to be happening so often.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22