Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock

Started by lynbug, March 13, 2016, 01:35:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razCzar

March Madness Bracket: Ranking the 2016 NCAA Tournament field 1-68
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25515820/march-madness-bracket-ranking-the-2016-ncaa-tournament-field-1-68

43. Little Rock: Chris Beard's coaching job might be the best in all of college basketball. We're talking about a team from the Sun Belt that went 29-4 and had a totally rebuilt roster coming into this season. True Cinderella potential.

SEC:
9. Kentucky
14. Texas A&M
36. Vanderbilt

root_hawg

if they win a game, it will be interesting to see if anyone comes after him as a coach.

moses_007

This isn't the first time Arkansas was horrible and Little Rock made the NCAA field.  It's happened at least two times prior to this year.  All of us should pull for them.

lynbug

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2016, 07:44:39 pm
Guards will have to shoot well, UALR bigs will have to bring Purdue out from under the basket.
Scott is strong as anything but short - Barkley type player.
Shoshi can shoot from the outside but he's weak and this is just his 3rd year of playing basketball.

It'll be interesting to see how both teams react to the altitude.

I picked Little Rock on my bracket but just because of the state connection.  However, I really feel Purdue will win because of Big Ten vs. Sunbelt. Hope I'm wrong.  Go Trojans. 

mjsphd

Quote from: Sivad on March 13, 2016, 05:37:55 pm
UALR with a low paid and first year coach is in the NCAA Tourney.
Arkansas with a highly paid and fifth year coach didn't come close.
The world is upside down.
Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 13, 2016, 05:04:18 pm
Nobody that knows the situation would argue that. Beard brought in like 10 new players. He completely overhauled the roster. This is all him.

To be fair, 2 of the 3 players that made the Sun Belt All-Conference team (Josh Hagins and Roger Woods) were recruited by the previous coach.  Kemi Osse, Mariek Isom, and Marius Hill, all returning players, have started and played key roles at various points during the season.  Coach Beard has done an unbelievable job in his first year, but he was left some talent.

TrueBlue

Quote from: mjsphd on March 16, 2016, 03:38:37 pm
To be fair, 2 of the 3 players that made the Sun Belt All-Conference team (Josh Hagins and Roger Woods) were recruited by the previous coach.  Kemi Osse, Mariek Isom, and Marius Hill, all returning players, have started and played key roles at various points during the season.  Coach Beard has done an unbelievable job in his first year, but he was left some talent.

Shields couldn't coach his way out of a box.

phadedhawg

Go Trojans! 

In my company bracket we draft teams.  I got Little Rock way down the line but hope they can get me one win or at least beat the spread. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: lynbug on March 13, 2016, 01:35:46 pm
Yes, I would NEVER put any other team ahead of the Hogs, as far as loyalty and emotion.  But, you gotta admit it will be nice to have an Arkansas team in the dance.  I just hope they avoid the infamous play-in game.

If you had been around Little Rock when Nolan was hired and it was also the last time they didn't suck, you wouldn't pull for them. Anytime A State or UALR does anything if the Hogs are not on a power swing they lift their little local school up like they are on the verge of taking over the state.

They can have their garbage program. I only wish they would stick with it while it sucks too and leave the Hogs to the fans who care.

HoopS

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 16, 2016, 03:41:56 pm
too bad they wouldn't let him out of the box. He was pretty decent outside of it but whatever now.

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2016, 06:50:03 pm
If you had been around Little Rock when Nolan was hired and it was also the last time they didn't suck, you wouldn't pull for them. Anytime A State or UALR does anything if the Hogs are not on a power swing they lift their little local school up like they are on the verge of taking over the state.

They can have their garbage program. I only wish they would stick with it while it sucks too and leave the Hogs to the fans who care.

Some of us can root for both teams.
I've supported both programs for over 30 years through good times and bad times.
They are not in competition with each other - one is a Power 5 program and the other is a mid major.
A mid major that is 15 minutes from my house.
So for me it's Go Trojans!! and Go Hogs!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TrueBlue

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2016, 06:50:03 pm

You mad bro?

You clicked on a thread titled "Little Rock" - what did you expect?

I guess you are part of the "Hate WMS" and leave center AR crowd for football also, huh?

It will be ok. Have a drink or something.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 16, 2016, 07:01:18 pm
You mad bro?

You clicked on a thread titled "Little Rock" - what did you expect?

I guess you are part of the "Hate WMS" and leave center AR crowd for football also, huh?

It will be ok. Have a drink or something.

You darn right I hate that area, but it's because I actually lived there. I love it that they are going to get out of War Memorial since it no longer makes sense to play there with good roads that allow lots of people access to games. Unlike the days of going up the Pig Trail or old 71.

Central Arkansas does have many devoted Hog fans, but they are not anywhere near as die hard as the other areas of the state I have lived in. Areas that border other states tend to be your most die hard fans.

But Central Arkansas is full of BS'rs with a bloated sense of themselves and how much they matter to the rest of the world.

Like I said, keep your little team in the hard times too, bro.

hobhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2016, 07:11:25 pm
You darn right I hate that area, but it's because I actually lived there. I love it that they are going to get out of War Memorial since it no longer makes sense to play there with good roads that allow lots of people access to games. Unlike the days of going up the Pig Trail or old 71.

Central Arkansas does have many devoted Hog fans, but they are not anywhere near as die hard as the other areas of the state I have lived in. Areas that border other states tend to be your most die hard fans.

But Central Arkansas is full of BS'rs with a bloated sense of themselves and how much they matter to the rest of the world.

Wow. Some LR chick must have really done a number on you....

TrueBlue

Yet you still keep coming back to the "little rock" thread. You have some serious issues Bro.

Hate will kill ya.

choppedporkextrasauce

Go Purdue.

It's a Hog message board trueblue anyone can post including us non UALR fans.

MICHAELSPAPPY

4.) No. 12 Arkansas-Little Rock vs. No. 5 Purdue (4:30 p.m. on TBS)

Purdue looked strong in the Big Ten tournament, narrowly falling to a superior Michigan State team. Yet the NCAA tournament is all about matchups and the Boilermakers drew a ridiculously dangerous Cinderella candidate in Little Rock, winner of the Sun Belt. While most mid-majors slay down giants with superb shooting, which is difficult to forecast, the Trojans could take down Purdue with their defense that ranks second nationally by allowing 59.6 points a game. Considering Purdue's losses have come from sloppy play and turning the ball over, this has upset written all over it.

► Why Purdue will win: Purdue has one of the most physically imposing lineups in the country, with a massive front court that could overwhelm a smaller Little Rock team. The Boilermakers have three starters that are at least 6-foot-8, including 7-foot center A.J. Hammons, and hope to capitalize on that size advantage on both offense and defense, as long as they get a chance to run their half-court offense and don't get caught running too much in transition defense. "We've been working out, making sure everybody is prepared, hydrating. Doing everything we do, everything to make sure the altitude is not a factor in the game. I feel like we should be ready," Hammons said.

► Why Little Rock will win: Little Rock might come from a mid-major conference, but the Trojans feel like they are tested against bigger teams, thanks to a non-conference schedule with games against Texas Tech and San Diego State. Those games won't fully prepare this team for the type of size they'll face against Purdue, but they won't be intimidated. Little Rock's upset hopes hinge on an experienced roster that includes a starting lineup of four seniors and one junior, and a stingy defense that held opponents to 59.6 points per game this year.

⇒ Major upset alert

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/03/16/rankings-thursday-ncaa-tournament-first-round-games-tv-schedule-march-madness/81835920/

RyeHogFan

Little Rock is gonna have to do something to counteract their size disadvantage.  If they let Purdue get in their comfortable little half-court sets then their big ol 7 footers are gonna have a field day out there.  They have to pressure, pressure, pressure!  I don't mean they need to do some crazy traps like CMA does sometimes.  I just mean they need to put those bigs in an uncomfortable position and not let them get the ball down around the low block.  I expect a lot of zone and some 3/4 to 1/2 court pressing, but I could be wrong.

RME

I'm gonna take a wild hack at a guess and say you live somewhere in NWA.

Actually, no, that can't be true. Because if you were up here, you'd know the "bloated sense" of those in Little Rock pales in comparison to the out of state transfers that make up corporate NWA.

Anyway, for the bettors in here, I've read many, many things believing UALR will not only cover today, but will win outright. Bet accordingly.

TomBigBeeHog

Trojans have some nice guards, hope they have a great game. Wouldn't be a huge upset if they won but the atmosphere on Hogville will get nastier with each Trojan advance.

I don't fear a win by the Trojans in relation to the Hogs. That would be stupid, like most of the convo about Trojans vs Hogs and Anderson vs Beard.

I just want UALR to out there and get a win for Arkansas today baby! Next year I hope we get three Arkansas teams in the tourney. Wouldn't that be something to crow about.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hoglady

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 17, 2016, 09:46:30 am
Trojans have some nice guards, hope they have a great game. Wouldn't be a huge upset if they won but the atmosphere on Hogville will get nastier with each Trojan advance.

I don't fear a win by the Trojans in relation to the Hogs. That would be stupid, like most of the convo about Trojans vs Hogs and Anderson vs Beard.

I just want UALR to out there and get a win for Arkansas today baby! Next year I hope we get three Arkansas teams in the tourney. Wouldn't that be something to crow about.

I just don't understand the hate by some.
We're a small state - I root for all of our teams.
The only true competition between in state schools in ASU vs. UALR. I still root for ASU when they play anyone but UALR.
I'm a sports fan - my love of sports doesn't begin and end with the Hogs.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2016, 10:10:46 am
The only true competition between in state schools in ASU vs. UALR. I still root for ASU when they play anyone but UALR.

I'm sorry, but this is far too rational a post to be in Jump Ball.  I'm going to have to report you to the mods.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Quote from: hobhog on March 16, 2016, 07:24:43 pm
Wow. Some LR chick must have really done a number on you....
It was probably a dude.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 17, 2016, 09:46:30 am

Like our boards did when UAB and Mizzou advanced.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

I'm a native Arkansan, not a NWA whatever. I live 60 miles from the U of A.  I support Arkansas teams at all times unless they are actually playing The Razorbacks and that just doesn't happen much.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 16, 2016, 03:41:56 pm

Can he write?

HamSammich

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 17, 2016, 02:50:28 pm
I'm a native Arkansan, not a NWA whatever. I live 60 miles from the U of A.  I support Arkansas teams at all times unless they are actually playing The Razorbacks and that just doesn't happen much.

I agree. I have not lived in my state for years but I support all the Arkansas teams. I guess I have enough cheer in me.

Trojans look scrappy so far but there is a HUGE size difference.

hoglady

Quote from: HamSammich on March 17, 2016, 03:57:46 pm
I agree. I have not lived in my state for years but I support all the Arkansas teams. I guess I have enough cheer in me.

Trojans look scrappy so far but there is a HUGE size difference.

HUGE - not just inside but guards are having to alter their shots to try to shoot over Purdue big guards.
LR got to make some shots to stay in this. But got to say so far they are rebounding with them.

HamSammich

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2016, 04:04:24 pm
HUGE - not just inside but guards are having to alter their shots to try to shoot over Purdue big guards.
LR got to make some shots to stay in this. But got to say so far they are rebounding with them.

Exactly! thats a big ole team!!

Love the energy that UALR has and its motion offense... LOVE IT. I hope they lock that coach up as best they can.

rljjr

LRs 3/4 trapping D looks good and at times has been a slightly watered down, yet eerily reminiscent of the Hogs from a different era. Pulling for LR.

RaisinHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2016, 04:04:24 pm

O.yeah??? Purdue has like 25 rebounds and little rock has like 14

hoglady

LR is not afraid - that's what I was looking for at the beginning of the game.
They are competing and playing just like every game I've watched this year.
Tied right now - LR should have the last shot of the half / they've played a nice game so far.

hoglady

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 17, 2016, 04:29:52 pm
O.yeah??? Purdue has like 25 rebounds and little rock has like 14

At the time of that post LR was actually outrebounding Purdue - a lot happens in 20 minutes.

Cinco de Hogo

Maybe some of the big money Razorback boosters need to lock him up for a couple years(on the side) just in case.

And I don't buy Jeff Long not raiding ULAR, it's the same system.  Moving up or getting promoted in the same company has always been acceptable.

RaisinHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2016, 04:30:57 pm
At the time of that post LR was actually outrebounding Purdue.

Gotcha .. Sorry I just can not root for little rock already sick of hearing how they are better than Arkansas ...

hoglady

Purdue hit a 3 at the buzzer for a 3 pt half time lead.
Little Rock still having problems getting off good shots.

HamSammich

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 17, 2016, 04:32:30 pm
Gotcha .. Sorry I just can not root for little rock already sick of hearing how they are better than Arkansas ...

Thats a sad way of looking at it. I don't think they are actually better than the Hogs. But their conference allowed them to get in.

I hope they rip a new hole in that big yankee team.

hoglady

Why would you let some posters make you root against an in state school.
UALR is a mid major program. They don't even recruit against Arkansas.
Anyone who wants to rub in their success is mad at Anderson and wants him gone.
I'm hoping next year we'll see them both in the NCAA tourney - that would be pretty cool.

panhandlepig

It really doesn't matter if you root for them or not in  the scheme of things. We don't have any influence one way or the other. I'm an Arkansan and a Hog fan but you betcha I'll be pulling for Little Rock.  I don't understand why anyone here wouldn't.

hoglady

For me - I don't like much of anything Big 10 or ACC.
The more they lose the happier I am.
I can tolerate Mich st, but that's about it.

RaisinHog

Quote from: HamSammich on March 17, 2016, 04:34:12 pm

Thats a sad way of looking at it. I don't think they are actually better than the Hogs. But their conference allowed them to get in.

I hope they rip a new hole in that big yankee team.

Well since u put if that way come on little rock !!!

Atlhogfan1

Trojans just can't hit perimeter shots.

End of half hurt. 

Lot of contact on that interior shot by LR and no call. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoglady

LR screwing up settling for bad shots.

HamSammich

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2016, 04:55:51 pm
Trojans just can't hit perimeter shots.

End of half hurt. 

Lot of contact on that interior shot by LR and no call.
Yep. Purdue using its size the second half. Trojans are not going to win unless they make this ugly and make the big guys run.

HogBreath

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2016, 10:10:46 am
Exactly...UALR is not a threat to the Hogs, same as A State.  I wish they'd play a lil' tourney every year around Christmas at Verizon, invite us three plus maybe a Tulsa or La tech or so.

A rising tide lifts all ships.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

dhizzle

I've never seen beard coach. He gets a little angry I like.

hoglady

Purdue plays good defense.
Hard for LR to get a clean shot - guard size of Purdue hurting them as bad as Purdue inside guys.
This game is fixing to get away from them real quick if they don't start making some shots.

HamSammich

Derek "Your wife and I are just friends" Fisher at the game!!!!

hoglady

Quote from: HamSammich on March 17, 2016, 05:01:07 pm
Derek "Your wife and I are just friends" Fisher at the game!!!!

Fisher has been good to UALR, not surprised to see him at the game.
Parkview coaches had to absolutely beg Jim Platt to offer Fisher a scholarship.
He sure exceeded most folks expectations coming out of high school - but the Parkview coaches believed in him.

HamSammich

Separated at birth??

Adrian Brody

Lis Shoshi

Atlhogfan1

Two possessions stand out in this game.  End of half and a block by Purdue earlier in the half when there was a lot of contact.  They are the difference right now although it feels like LR is just barely hanging around.