Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock

Started by lynbug, March 13, 2016, 01:35:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

Yes, I would NEVER put any other team ahead of the Hogs, as far as loyalty and emotion.  But, you gotta admit it will be nice to have an Arkansas team in the dance.  I just hope they avoid the infamous play-in game.

WilsonHog

I've watched most of their game today, and enjoyed it. First time I've seen them play.

Congratulations to Little Rock, and good luck to the Trojans in the NCAA Tournament.

BigNasty

these SBC refs seem to be better than the SEC refs

Sue E NoNutts

Great job UALR!  Congrats to them!
Your/You're.....the difference between knowing your shite and knowing you're shite.

Lose/Loose.  When you lose weight, your pants feel loose.

hogcam

I'll take Coach Beard right now. Heck of a coach

PonderinHog

razCzar

Man, what a game!  Made my day and got me more pumped for the Big Dance than anything other than the Hogs being in.

GO TROJANS!

yraciv

They've got some Arkansas boys that could play in a major conference.  Jalen Jackson from West Memphis is a very efficient  scorer, and I thought we should have given him a look coming out of JUCO last year.  Dayshawn Watkins out of NLR is redshirting this year, after transferring from FL State, but should step in and take over for Hagins at the point next year.

Uncommon

UALR now has the most NCAA Tournament appearances this decade among Arkansas's Division I programs.  Excuse me while I go chug Fireball.

hoglady

Well - I was sick all night after watching the Lady Trojans lose the tourney last night 61-60.

Little Rock just took control after the half, holding Monroe to 17 in the second half.
Stellar play by Scott inside.
Hagins (the point guard) is from my high school in LA. and he's a really good point guard.
Hope they get a decent draw - Lunardi has them as a 12 seed playing Indiana.
Hope Beard stays another year or 2.
(If I was the LSU AD I'd be looking at Beard, you would never see one of his teams play like LSU did yesterday)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The_Bionic_Pig

Congratulations Trojans!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jgphillips3

Congratulations Trojans!  Happy to have two consecutive years where I can cheer for an Arkansas team in the dance...just wish I could cheer having two Arkansas teams in the dance.

hogman99

Quote from: hoglady on March 13, 2016, 02:22:28 pm
Well - I was sick all night after watching the Lady Trojans lose the tourney last night 61-60.

Little Rock just took control after the half, holding Monroe to 17 in the second half.
Stellar play by Scott inside.
Hagins (the point guard) is from my high school in LA. and he's a really good point guard.
Hope they get a decent draw - Lunardi has them as a 12 seed playing Indiana.
Hope Beard stays another year or 2.
(If I was the LSU AD I'd be looking at Beard, you would never see one of his teams play like LSU did yesterday)

If I was the Arkansas AD I'd be looking at Beard and trying to figure out how to hire him!

HOGINTENNESSEE

I like their offense.

lynbug

Quote from: hogman99 on March 13, 2016, 03:12:34 pm
If I was the Arkansas AD I'd be looking at Beard and trying to figure out how to hire him!

This is the down side to this situation.  I have no idea what Beard makes at L.R. but............I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of more lucrative offers after this year, especially if they win a game or two.

hoglady

I just don't see something like that ever happening. Both schools are part of the UA system.
It would be a bad look for Fayetteville to raid UALR coaches.
If they were going to do that they would have made a run at Foley before hiring Dykes.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 13, 2016, 02:28:11 pm
Congratulations Trojans!!
Yes, and good for them.
Sad for Arkansas - thanks Mike.

lynbug

Quote from: hoglady on March 13, 2016, 03:36:50 pm
I just don't see something like that ever happening. Both schools are part of the UA system.
It would be a bad look for Fayetteville to raid UALR coaches.
If they were going to do that they would have made a run at Foley before hiring Dykes.

I obviously copied the wrong post.  I meant to  copy , "If I was the LSU A.D..  I have no clue whether LSU will come calling, but I believe there will be a few offers----not ARKANSAS

maggiesue

Amazing what coaching can do for a program.  If Long is not taking notice of how coaches like Beard get players to play smart, with emotion and intensity, he is not fit to be our AD.  Absolutely ridiculous for Hog fans to have to go through March Madness year in and year out with nothing to be excited about.  Aggies lost but they and Kentucky played a great and inspired game and are well coached.

Let's go Trojans!

SpaCityHawg

After 1 good year?  That's how we got Stan Heath.

No1Hog27

You would think we would be through with the "hot commodity" coaches..

No1Hog27

Congratulations to the Trojans!!!!!!  Great Season and I can't wait to see them in the Tournament.

lynbug

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on March 13, 2016, 03:54:32 pm
After 1 good year?  That's how we got Stan Heath.

But his one successful year before Arkansas was with a team that someone else built.  Not slamming Heath--if fact it happened to him in reverse when Pel took over Heath's  senior laden team that went to round 2 of the NCAA.  Arkansas fans have witnessed this phenomenon twice (Heath and Pel).  It can be deceiving.  But, I get your point.....some might argue that Beard's success is because of someone else's groundwork.

phadedhawg

I'm very excited and happy for Little Rock. I hope they advance but they've already got a lot to be proud of. I missed today's game but I got to see the semifinals. They have a good style of play and their defense is sound.  If they go up against a powerhouse I'm sure size and speed will hurt them but here's hoping. If they get to the sweet 16 it will be epic

nwahogfan1

I have watched
Quote from: lynbug on March 13, 2016, 01:35:46 pm
Yes, I would NEVER put any other team ahead of the Hogs, as far as loyalty and emotion.  But, you gotta admit it will be nice to have an Arkansas team in the dance.  I just hope they avoid the infamous play-in game.
[/quote}
Quote from: lynbug on March 13, 2016, 01:35:46 pm

I have watched a couple of their games and I know their coach doesn't play as exciting as some of you folks want but he is a winner.  He teaches fundamentals of the game very well, great defense with toughness on the boards

fieldturf

Quote from: maggiesue on March 13, 2016, 03:51:19 pm
Amazing what coaching can do for a program.  If Long is not taking notice of how coaches like Beard get players to play smart, with emotion and intensity, he is not fit to be our AD.  Absolutely ridiculous for Hog fans to have to go through March Madness year in and year out with nothing to be excited about.  Aggies lost but they and Kentucky played a great and inspired game and are well coached.

Let's go Trojans!

Good post, and well said about out AD!!

hobhog

Quote from: Uncommon on March 13, 2016, 02:18:11 pm
UALR now has the most NCAA Tournament appearances this decade among Arkansas's Division I programs.  Excuse me while I go chug Fireball.

This

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: lynbug on March 13, 2016, 04:10:00 pm
But his one successful year before Arkansas was with a team that someone else built.  Not slamming Heath--if fact it happened to him in reverse when Pel took over Heath's  senior laden team that went to round 2 of the NCAA.  Arkansas fans have witnessed this phenomenon twice (Heath and Pel).  It can be deceiving.  But, I get your point.....some might argue that Beard's success is because of someone else's groundwork.
Nobody that knows the situation would argue that. Beard brought in like 10 new players. He completely overhauled the roster. This is all him.

Sivad

UALR with a low paid and first year coach is in the NCAA Tourney.
Arkansas with a highly paid and fifth year coach didn't come close.
The world is upside down.

razCzar

Little Rock playing Purdue in Denver.  Watched them both today / like the matchup.

hoglady

Little Rock vs. Purdue - Thurs. in Denver.

Dang tornados are making me miss the Selection Show.

12th seed to a sun belt team showing respect.

WooPig90

Quote from: razCzar on March 13, 2016, 05:46:54 pm
Little Rock playing Purdue in Denver.  Watched them both today / like the matchup.

Not sure about that, they played Mich st down to the wire and they have some serious size.

Hawg Red

Purdue is a nightmare matchup for LR due to their size. Purdue has 3 bigs that will likely play in the NBA. I don't see any way LR wins this game, honestly. They got about as bad of a draw as they could have.

hobhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 13, 2016, 05:55:14 pm
Purdue is a nightmare matchup for LR due to their size. Purdue has 3 bigs that will likely play in the NBA. I don't see any way LR wins this game, honestly. They got about as bad of a draw as they could have.

Trojans won with guard play all year so maybe that will help. But yes, a long shot.

Beard will have them playing hard- he stays on his players the whole game and is very intense.

razCzar

Quote from: WooPig90 on March 13, 2016, 05:53:36 pm
Not sure about that, they played Mich st down to the wire and they have some serious size.
Oh, I agree with you.  By "liking the matchup", I was thinking more about Purdue U as the opponent - not how tough they'll be.

Uncommon

Quote from: Karma on March 13, 2016, 05:50:22 pm
12th seed to a sun belt team showing respect.
They got a correct seeding with the 12 seed.  The selection committee isn't UALR homers.  They earned that seed.

Westcoasthog

Congratulations to Arkansas Little Rock for making the NCAA Tourament!

lynbug

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 13, 2016, 05:04:18 pm
Nobody that knows the situation would argue that. Beard brought in like 10 new players. He completely overhauled the roster. This is all him.

Thanks for correcting me.  Obviously, I don't follow L.R. basketball--I was just ASSUMING----and we know what that leads to.  This makes his renovation even more impressive.

hoglady

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 13, 2016, 05:55:14 pm

Lunardi had them as a 12 seed playing Indiana - the announcers today were talking about what a great match up that would be.
UALR can't handle a team with a lot of size inside like Purdue. Just can't match up.
They'll have to shoot lights out to stay in the game.

Quote from: Uncommon on March 13, 2016, 06:03:54 pm
They got a correct seeding with the 12 seed.  The selection committee isn't UALR homers.  They earned that seed.
That's what I said.

razCzar

GAME TIME:  No. 5 Purdue vs. No. 12 Little Rock
Thur, April 17 @ approx. 3:20ct, TBS (Announcers: Catalon/Lappas/Erdahl)

March Madness Schedule
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25515940/march-madness-tv-schedule-how-to-watch-live-stream-tip-times

rzrbk4life

Congrats to the Trojans. Hope they represent AR well in the tourney
Let's call those hogs!!!!

FreshHog

Quote from: lynbug on March 13, 2016, 04:10:00 pm

As someone who went to UALR for 2 years before transferring to the U of A, and follows their basketball team. No. Just no.

UALR's team was in shambles. This years UALR team is the most improved in the country. They won 15 more games SO FAR this season than they did last year. Think about that. Not only was it good quick recruiting by beard, but it was excellent coaching. He got those boys to play for him, and play HARD. Kudos to Coach Beard, and congratulations to all the young men on that team for doing something that could be considered great by many here in Arkansas. Gladly buy any of the legal aged men a drink.

hoglady

Quote from: FreshHog on March 13, 2016, 09:19:45 pm
As someone who went to UALR for 2 years before transferring to the U of A, and follows their basketball team. No. Just no.

UALR's team was in shambles. This years UALR team is the most improved in the country. They won 15 more games SO FAR this season than they did last year. Think about that. Not only was it good quick recruiting by beard, but it was excellent coaching. He got those boys to play for him, and play HARD. Kudos to Coach Beard, and congratulations to all the young men on that team for doing something that could be considered great by many here in Arkansas. Gladly buy any of the legal aged men a drink.

Anyone who thinks Beard won off of Shields groundwork hasn't followed UALR basketball.
Those of us who have - KNOW what a phenomenal job Beard has done this year, by bringing in a ton of new players and getting the absolute best out of the hold over players recruited by Shields.
It's really been quite amazing how he's got those guys to buy in.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2016, 09:48:36 am
Anyone who thinks Beard won off of Shields groundwork hasn't followed UALR basketball.
Those of us who have - KNOW what a phenomenal job Beard has done this year, by bringing in a ton of new players and getting the absolute best out of the hold over players recruited by Shields.
It's really been quite amazing how he's got those guys to buy in.
Did he have ten spots to fill or did he "clean house?"  No agenda here, just asking.

Hawg Red

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 14, 2016, 09:50:54 am
Did he have ten spots to fill or did he "clean house?"  No agenda here, just asking.

Some players transferred out.

MICHAELSPAPPY

"They'll have to shoot lights out to stay in the game"

Well, the Trojans shot 38.8% as a team for the year, so the potential is there.

hoglady

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on March 14, 2016, 09:53:50 am
"They'll have to shoot lights out to stay in the game"

Well, the Trojans shot 38.8% as a team for the year, so the potential is there.

Guards will have to shoot well, UALR bigs will have to bring Purdue out from under the basket.
Scott is strong as anything but short - Barkley type player.
Shoshi can shoot from the outside but he's weak and this is just his 3rd year of playing basketball.

It'll be interesting to see how both teams react to the altitude.