Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAM signed 58 kids yesterday

Started by Karma, February 04, 2016, 11:34:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Or at least that's how many was listed in the ADG today.  Henderson signed 53.

Are there no scholarship limits in Division II? Can you have unlimited numbers of players on the roster? Does all 58 actually get some scholarship, and if so, how does UAM afford that?

Maybe something else explains it, but this is the info in today's ADG.

Atlhogfan1

They have fewer scholarships but they can give partial scholarship money and spread it out. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 11:34:38 am
They have fewer scholarships but they can give partial scholarship money and spread it out. 
Are there 150 players on a team, or is there huge attrition?  So each player is probably only getting a 1/4 scholarship.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Karma on February 04, 2016, 11:51:27 am
Are there 150 players on a team, or is there huge attrition?  So each player is probably only getting a 1/4 scholarship.

Each program has the equivalent of 36 scholarships. 

http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-partial-scholarship-model

I'm guessing DII has a lot of movement between programs and attrition. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2016, 11:53:38 am
Each program has the equivalent of 36 scholarships. 

http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-partial-scholarship-model

I'm guessing DII has a lot of movement between programs and attrition. 
Thanks for the info.

East TN HAWG

My nephew will be singing with Bluefield College in WV.  A local HS coach here told me that these lower level schools bring in lots of numbers because its not all about football, but enrollment as well.  Its not uncommon for them to have 100+ on their team.  He told me to be careful when helping my nephew decide.     

jjdlc

A lot of D1 kids who are borderline on qualifying will often sign with a D2 as well, in case they can't get in to the D1 they sign with.  If they end up qualifying, they go to the D1.  So a portion of those signed will never show up.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Karma on February 04, 2016, 11:51:27 am
They give their "studs" a full scholarship or a partial if they can make up the difference in some other type of aid. Then they spread it around to  the rest of the team in tiers based on who they really want.

Henderson State who I had never talked to sent me a hand written offer for a partial, only offer I ever received, UCA asked me to walk-on, regret somewhat not doing it, but I had mouths to feed.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 04, 2016, 12:10:48 pm
My nephew will be singing with Bluefield College in WV.  A local HS coach here told me that these lower level schools bring in lots of numbers because its not all about football, but enrollment as well.  Its not uncommon for them to have 100+ on their team.  He told me to be careful when helping my nephew decide.     
Tenor or Bass? Couldn't resist.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 04, 2016, 12:10:48 pm

What does that mean? Don't encourage him to play?

Greg ManChilds

I was at the UAM press conference yesterday and this what I gathered from the coach. 17 of the guys were mid-year transfers and 41 high school signees. They reward some with full scholarships, but most of them are given partial scholarships and encouraged to procure funding from government assistance if they qualify and private/public scholarships. Also, the cost of books, boarding, and tuition at UAM is "cheap" in comparison to other schools in their conference.

Also, there is a higher rate of attrition than what you see at a DI school. All this combined allows for 58 kids. UAM'S coach also mentioned that a DII school they play signed over 70 kids!

Quote from: Greg ManChilds on February 04, 2016, 03:41:43 pm
I was at the UAM press conference yesterday and this what I gathered from the coach. 17 of the guys were mid-year transfers and 41 high school signees. They reward some with full scholarships, but most of them are given partial scholarships and encouraged to procure funding from government assistance if they qualify and private/public scholarships. Also, the cost of books, boarding, and tuition at UAM is "cheap" in comparison to other schools in their conference.

Also, there is a higher rate of attrition than what you see at a DI school. All this combined allows for 58 kids. UAM'S coach also mentioned that a DII school they play signed over 70 kids!
Seems like that would make it tough to get much attention from the coaches, and the roster turnover would make coaching a challenge.

footballmom

A DII will look first at what you qualify for academically...or from a pell grant...and then athletics can cover they rest if they really want you.

East TN HAWG

February 06, 2016, 01:02:06 pm #13 Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:34:26 pm by East TN HAWG
Quote from: Karma on February 04, 2016, 03:31:09 pm
What does that mean? Don't encourage him to play?

No, not at all.  Just make sure the school truly wants him and he is not part of the numbers game.  He's had about 5 or 6 schools recruiting him, but Bluefield seems to want him the most. 

Nafunu32

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2016, 12:16:44 pm
They give their "studs" a full scholarship or a partial if they can make up the difference in some other type of aid. Then they spread it around to  the rest of the team in tiers based on who they really want.

Henderson State who I had never talked to sent me a hand written offer for a partial, only offer I ever received, UCA asked me to walk-on, regret somewhat not doing it, but I had mouths to feed.

I was a mediocre tailback / linebacker in high school. I was offered a partial scholarship through Henderson State which covered tuition. I chose an academic elsewhere, knowing my chance of the "big times" were not happening. lol

HogWild7886

Isn't the 25 limit an SEC rule and not even a national rule?

Razorhogs

FYI - They have walk-ons sign LOI. That is the reason they have so many. 

buldozer

Wow this is great! This is the kind of thing that builds football programs in AR

MrKlem10

Quote from: Razorhogs on February 06, 2016, 09:49:03 pm
FYI - They have walk-ons sign LOI. That is the reason they have so many.

Can only sign an LOI if you are getting athletic money.   It may only be a couple hundred,  but you can't just sign a LOI if walking on only.   

mhsbc59

Not an uncommon practice there will be lot of kids that only go one semester.  There will be alot that hit the midnight train com 2-a-day's
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011