Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Anderson

Started by hawginbigd1, December 02, 2015, 06:08:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

With what he has accomplished and all of the openings what are the odds he is at ASU next year? I know barely anything coming out of Jboro, but just seems somebody has to come calling! Is he the next Fuentes, or Harsin?

pigture perfect

I think he stays. Just my gut, but I think he's in building mode.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Seminole Indian

December 02, 2015, 06:31:37 pm #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:57:03 pm by Seminole Indian
Based on the jobs open now, and who is in the mix for them, I think they have a good chance at keeping him at least one more year, but I thought the same thing about Malzahn until the wrong job opened up.

In some ways A-State got lucky this year when their star QB went out for 3 1/2 games. That probably cost them one, maybe two more wins. He does not get hurt Anderson might be gone this year. Instead they get 8 or 9 wins, a bowl, a few votes in the polls, and a little continuity.

If next year goes as i expect it will, it may be hard to hang on to him.

Their biggest concern this year is keeping their assistants.

At couple turned down Big 12, and SEC jobs last year for a lot more money, and one turned down a top tier AAC program to take the same position at A-State to start with.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Buyout will keep him there, unless Fedora goes somewhere. UNC might pay it.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2015, 07:05:46 pm
Know it is 3 million this year but drops next year, but even 3 million is chump change to the big boys.

They, and Anderson knew that it would not deter  a deep pocked P5 from coming after  him if they wanted him, but it would probably deter a richer G5 (Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. ) or poorer P5( and there are a lot of them out there).
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 02, 2015, 07:12:47 pm
Know it is 3 million this year but drops next year, but even 3 million is chump change to the big boys.

They, and Anderson knew that it would not deter  a deep pocked P5 from coming after  him if they wanted him, but it would probably deter a richer G5 (Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. ) or poorer P5( and there are a lot of them out there).

Next years buyout is $2M as is the year after. The only ones that will likely pay the $3M buyout this year are the BIG boys of P5 football and those same schools aren't going to be looking at a Sunbelt coach who at best, went 9-3 regular season for their opening. Next year it depends on what schools will have openings but you won't be seeing the same schools as this year since none of them will fill their HC positions with one year deals.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2015, 07:05:46 pm

Depends........is UNC a place that Anderson will call his "dream" job like Ole Miss was for Freeze? Or Harsin and Boise St? Or even Malzahn and Auburn? If so he hasn't said it. I think Anderson has his eyes on a bigger prize down the road than the Tarheels because he knows he will never be able to beat out FSU or Clemson or some of the other more consistent football winners in the ACC.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

yraciv

The way Arkansas State coaches leave, I'd be surprised if he doesn't jump at Houston when Herman gets hired away.

GolfNut57

Quote from: yraciv on December 02, 2015, 08:10:24 pm
The way Arkansas State coaches leave, I'd be surprised if he doesn't jump at Houston when Herman gets hired away.

Why would he do that? It would only be a lateral move at best, and would Houston even want to pay the $3M buyout PLUS the money for his new contract? Besides, Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin all left for their so-called dream jobs. Why would Anderson dream of Houston?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 02, 2015, 08:15:31 pm
Why would he do that? It would only be a lateral move at best, and would Houston even want to pay the $3M buyout PLUS the money for his new contract? Besides, Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin all left for their so-called dream jobs. Why would Anderson dream of Houston?
I think most view AAC, USA, and MAC a cut above the Sunbelt! With Houston and Memphis some of the more attractive schools! So I wouldn't consider that to be a lateral move.

yraciv

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 02, 2015, 08:15:31 pm

IDK buyouts for ASU coaches. Houston is a step above ASU no doubt, but it was my way of jokingly saying that ASU coaches leave Jonesboro so fast he'd jump for another midmajor and not even wait around for a power 5 offer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: yraciv on December 02, 2015, 09:02:05 pm
IDK buyouts for ASU coaches. Houston is a step above ASU no doubt, but it was my way of jokingly saying that ASU coaches leave Jonesboro so fast he'd jump for another midmajor and not even wait around for a power 5 offer.

Well if he is willing to leave ASU for another mid major G5 school then he isn't half the coach we think he is. Another good, or even better year next year and he will be getting a couple P5 offers from some big time teams.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 02, 2015, 08:49:26 pm
I think most view AAC, USA, and MAC a cut above the Sunbelt! With Houston and Memphis some of the more attractive schools! So I wouldn't consider that to be a lateral move.

With the likes of MTSU, FAU, FIU, and WKU in the CUSA at most it is only a very slight cut above the Sunbelt. Keep in mind those four teams weren't asked to join the CUSA for their quality of programs. They were asked to join supposedly because of their TV markets and/or league footprint.

Seminole Indian

December 03, 2015, 07:32:09 am #13 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:24:41 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 02, 2015, 10:59:02 pm
With the likes of MTSU, FAU, FIU, and WKU in the CUSA at most it is only a very slight cut above the Sunbelt. Keep in mind those four teams weren't asked to join the CUSA for their quality of programs. They were asked to join supposedly because of their TV markets and/or league footprint.
Looking at all the rankings out there it is safe to say the opinions vary greatly on which of the G5's is the worse. Just as many have UCSA below the SBC as above and a few have the SBC above the MWC. All agree the AAC is the best Conference, which is why A-States AD said he would join the AAC is a heart beat, the others he would have to think about.

Look at the bottom of the Massey Composite rankings:
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

What many are not grasping, or trying to ignore, is that under the new post season  format it is about YOUR TEAM winning and not what conference you are in.

Many P5 fans seem to think we are under the old BCS system where your Conference affiliation really mattered. Those days have came and went and the only question is can your TEAM win enough for the Committee to select YOUR TEAM, for a playoff spot or one of the other bowls, and no school is guaranteed a spot because of their conference affiliation.

In fact the Committee must pick the highest ranked Conference champion from the G5 Conference for the G5 bowl spot so A-State was one of the 5 candidates for that spot this year, and may have had a shot if they had not lost their QB for 3 1/2 games.

So the questions that matter most to the upwardly mobile coaches, especially at the G5 level,  is whether or not a PROGRAM is in a conference where they can compete, and win Conference Championships, how do their salaries, facilities, attendance, and talent compare to their peers, and probably the most important question is did the  last coach get fired or did he land a better job.

Fact is A-State is one of the best G5's programs in ALL these  areas. Coaches  know for a fact that a coach can win SBC championships there, and can land a top tier P5 job from there. These factors, plus the by-out make it likely that only a handful of G5's , would  be willing to make the effort, and many, maybe most P5's would also pass.

yraciv

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2015, 07:32:09 am
Very looking at all the rankings out there it is safe to say the opinions vary greatly on which of the G5's is the worse. Just as many have UCSA below the SBC as above and a few have the SBC above the MWC. All agree the AAC is the best Conference, which is why A-States AD said he would join the AAC is a heart beat, the others he would have to think about.

Look at the bottom of the Massey Composite rankings:
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Many P5 fans seem to think we are under the old BCS system where your Conference affiliation really mattered. Those days have came and went and the only question is can your TEAM win enough for the Committee to select YOUR TEAM, for a playoff spot or one of the other bowls, and no school is guaranteed a spot because of their conference affiliation.

You are always going to be facing an uphill battle due to your conference though.  Is it possible ASU could run the table and get the automatic New Year 6 bid? Certainly! But due to SOS, it will always be next to impossible to beat out another midmajor with like records. They all but need to run the table and get help.  If not, you are likely heading to New Orleans.

GolfNut57

Quote from: yraciv on December 03, 2015, 11:17:45 am
You are always going to be facing an uphill battle due to your conference though.  Is it possible ASU could run the table and get the automatic New Year 6 bid? Certainly! But due to SOS, it will always be next to impossible to beat out another midmajor with like records. They all but need to run the table and get help.

I can agree with this.