Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Football: Good but still coming up short of goals

Started by Seminole Indian, November 24, 2015, 07:58:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

November 24, 2015, 07:58:51 am Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:00:27 am by Seminole Indian
Think most A-State fans agree with with this article:

"With two games remaining on the schedule, Arkansas State is poised to collect a fourth title in five seasons. And that's all good. But the program's primary goals have yet to be reached."

"....the immediate future of the program looks strong – perhaps even strong enough to make good Terry Mohajir's goal to become elite (G5 Program)."

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/11/21/9768964/on-the-cusp-of-another-title-Arkansas-State-red-wolves

If they can retain their coaches, pickup 4-5 quality mid-term transfers, I look for them to finally have the team they want next year.

Even though they must replace some 'star' players, play four quality teams in their OC schedule ( Toledo, Utah State, UCA and Auburn), plus the SBC should be better, they have the talent already on campus to be special next year.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

November 24, 2015, 09:27:56 am #1 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:42:34 am by Seminole Indian
Who replaces Knighten appears to be the biggest question mark, but  those that are discounting the TCU transfer as the starter next year need to watch his HS film( which is included in this article).

http://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2013/1/10/3861590/cameron-echols-luper-receives-texas-longhorns-offer-recruiting-tcu-texas-tech

This offense was set up to take advantage of Knighten's unique skills( he was not recruited to be a QB except in a wildcat formation), and Echols-Luper posses the same skill set as Knighten,  is bigger, faster, and appears to be better throwing the ball. He is also a world class athlete.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

asuato

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 24, 2015, 09:27:56 am
Who replaces Knighten appears to be the biggest question mark, but  those that are discounting the TCU transfer as the starter next year need to watch his HS film( which is included in this article).

http://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2013/1/10/3861590/cameron-echols-luper-receives-texas-longhorns-offer-recruiting-tcu-texas-tech

This offense was set up to take advantage of Knighten's unique skills( he was not recruited to be a QB except in a wildcat formation), and Echols-Luper posses the same skill set as Knighten,  is bigger, faster, and appears to be better throwing the ball. He is also a world class athlete.
Luper has requested to be a receiver only.  No longer in the QB race.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 10, 2015, 02:53:39 pm
State had some tough breaks this year.
and it continued into the bowl game, but in hindsight it will be viewed as a successful season, and another step toward their stated goal, which is better than a step back.

Of course the good news is they return the bulk of their roster, and 2-deep next year, and have some quality players already in place to join them.

2016 could be a special year for them.

asuato

Justice Hansen signed with ASU, so that settles the QB issue. Very nice pickup.

Seminole Indian

January 10, 2016, 07:05:53 am #6 Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:03:54 pm by Seminole Indian
This staff may still bring in another transfer at the position, but his signing is a big plus because 2016 will be the most talented team they have had. Probably the most talented of the last few teams that have got them going in the right direction.

The ability to address specific depth/talent issues with high quality transfers, especially  mid-term transfers, is something that sets this  staff apart from previous staffs.

That ability is a big reason they went from 7 wins to 9 wins from year one to year two.

Seminole Indian

Rather long but interesting interview with A-States HC about 2015 and his expectations (and not meeting them in 2015) for their program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wCyhNSZ2U

This guy is one cool operator, and what ever "it" is he has it. It will take a lot to keep him if 2016 goes as expected.

Seminole Indian

USA Today gave A-State a final grade of A- for 2016 along with Akron , Bowling Green, Florida, Georgia State, Mississippi, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State , Oklahoma State, TCU, Utah, Washington State.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/12/final-grades-all-128-teams-fbs-college-football/78670874/?AID=10709313&PID=6146927&SID=ije7rpfke1001vmn00dth

Not bad, and reflects how the national media views their 2015 season, and program. 

2016 has a chance to be an even better one, despite the fact they are again paying the price for success by losing coaches.

DeltaBoy

A State doing a solid job of building a program and I expect big things from them in 2016.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Seminole Indian

IMO the only piece of the puzzle missing for 2016 is a physical, durable, running back with an emphasis on "durable", and a Punter.

They have a lot of talent in their RB corps but they are small by FBS standards, and durability is the only real issue at that position, but it is a big one.

Their new RB Coach is well connected, and they are in on a couple of outstanding prospects, so I would not be surprised if they don't have the answer by fall.

Not sure about the punter.

DeltaBoy