Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post Season Play

Started by Seminole Indian, November 23, 2015, 12:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

From reading  post on various websites it appears A-State's most likely destination is the New Orleans Bowl on December 19th. Most likely against La Tech or Southern Mississippi.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

pigture perfect

I wish the Indy Bowl would match the tribe and Hogs for us.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 23, 2015, 10:49:42 pm
I wish the Indy Bowl would match the tribe and Hogs for us.

Won't happen. Ironically though, the chairman of the selection committee for the Indy bowl is a bigtime Redwolves fan.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

November 24, 2015, 06:36:06 am #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:06:47 am by Seminole Indian
Of course if A-State wins the SBC Championship, technically they will  be one of the five candidates for the G5 playoff spot.

The committee must take the highest ranked G5 Conference Champion.

It is expected that they will be in a position after this weekend to release a couple of those schools to accept other bowl invitations, but could make them wait until December 6.

If they had not lost their QB, or had a capable backup ready to step in for him for all those games they would be a stronger candidate to be that team this year.

If they can pick up the right 4-5 mid-term transfers, to go along with all the talent they have returning,  next year they should  be in a better position to claim that spot.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Totally missed that Henderson State won last week and faced Emporia State today. Tough to lose for their fans but congratulations on a great year.

GolfNut57

Well......ULL lost today for their seventh loss on the season and thus became bowl ineligible. So ASU is about as close to a lock for the NOLA bowl as there is. Something strange would have to happen at this point to keep the Red Wolves out of New Orleans.

Oh and ASU mauled the NMSU Aggies 52-28 tonight in Las Cruces to go to 7-0 in the Sunbelt.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

November 29, 2015, 10:34:57 am #6 Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:57:18 am by Seminole Indian
They can score points in so many ways it's scary. If they could ever get their offense clicking on all cylinders they would be something special.

Still impressive what they have done.

"There might not be a more impressive Group of Five football program than Arkansas State right now."

"Coach Anderson and his program won't get the credit they deserve nationally, but they should be applauded for building upon and sustaining the foundation they've been given by their predecessors."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/28/arkansas-state-claims-fourth-sbc-title-in-five-years/

While they may not get the credit they deserve nationally, people across the country have noticed that they continue to win. I've seen several references to their program on message boards by fans of schools undergoing coaching changes. Their success has changed the conventional wisdom of what to expect following a coaching change, and these fans want their program to be like Arkansas State.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 28, 2015, 11:21:13 pm
Well......ULL lost today for their seventh loss on the season and thus became bowl ineligible. So ASU is about as close to a lock for the NOLA bowl as there is. Something strange would have to happen at this point to keep the Red Wolves out of New Orleans.

Oh and ASU mauled the NMSU Aggies 52-28 tonight in Las Cruces to go to 7-0 in the Sunbelt.
Seems like all the projections agree with you that they will end up in New Orleans against either La Tech or USM, and not sure what happens against TxSt really matters at this point.

Playing either of those two, but especially La Tech, anywhere should fire up the ASU Fan base,and getting to do so in New Orleans is just icing on the cake.

GolfNut57

I am pretty sure ASU needs to win Sat vs TxSt to lock up the NOLA bowl. If they end up in a 3 way tie with App St and GaSo at 7-1 it is hard to say what would happen then. They may still go but the NOLA bowl has been known to do some odd things over the years.

Seminole Indian

New Orleans Bowl for A-State per Brett McMurphy:

"More bowls set: Arkansas State to New Orleans, Georgia Southern to GoDaddy & Appalachian State to Camellia, sources told @ESPN"

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Only ESPN was allowed to release this so it is probably legit.

GolfNut57

ASU ends the regular season with the Wolves ripping up the Bobcats of Texas St 55-17 to finish undefeated in the Sunbelt with the 8-0 league record and 9-3 overall. Going into the final weekend they were one game ahead of GaSo and App St but GaSo was upset by Ga St today 34-7 to finish with a 6-2 league record. Tonight App is currently leading So. Bama 14-7 in the first quarter. If App wins they finish in second place alone with a 7-1 conference record. By virtue of Ga St upsetting the Eagles of Ga So they became bowl eligible and are likely headed to the Cure Bowl in Orlando.

asuato

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 24, 2015, 06:36:06 am

If they can pick up the right 4-5 mid-term transfers, to go along with all the talent they have returning,  next year they should  be in a better position to claim that spot.

Pretty much have done that. Cameron Echols Luper requested to play receiver only, and Texas Longhorns WR Kendall Sanders coming in January and will be immediately eligible. If we can sign Riley Ferguson at QB, we are set. Offense will be explosive next year.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2015, 07:00:02 pm
ASU ends the regular season with the Wolves ripping up the Bobcats of Texas St 55-17 to finish undefeated in the Sunbelt with the 8-0 league record and 9-3 overall. Going into the final weekend they were one game ahead of GaSo and App St but GaSo was upset by Ga St today 34-7 to finish with a 6-2 league record. Tonight App is currently leading So. Bama 14-7 in the first quarter. If App wins they finish in second place alone with a 7-1 conference record. By virtue of Ga St upsetting the Eagles of Ga So they became bowl eligible and are likely headed to the Cure Bowl in Orlando.
Good that SBC met their 'quota', and got four teams eligible. Thought USA was going to make it for a while.

Reading the various bowl rankings it appears everyone has the NO Bowl ranked as one of the better match ups.

Does look like everyone finally  agrees that A-State was without a doubt the best team in the SBC. 

Seminole Indian

December 08, 2015, 07:50:36 am #13 Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:01:39 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: asuato on December 05, 2015, 11:07:01 pm
Pretty much have done that. Cameron Echols Luper requested to play receiver only, and Texas Longhorns WR Kendall Sanders coming in January and will be immediately eligible. If we can sign Riley Ferguson at QB, we are set. Offense will be explosive next year.
They are explosive on both sides of the ball. Very fast and getting faster.

That they think they can do without Luper at QB is probably a good sign.

A-States OC is still high on the Tabary kid ( went 2-1 with him starting) , and the young man that is red-shirting, D.J. Pearson, was their highest rated recruit last year according to 247.

People forget that their current 3rd team QB, Cameron Birse, turned down PAC 12 schools to sign with them, but the question is will he stay around as a backup.

Their one QB commit this year, Logan Bonner, started 4 years at the highest level of HS ball in Texas, and at last report most of  the G5's in Texas have offered him, and according to sources in Texas that follow recruiting,  if has was a couple of inches taller all the P5's in Texas would offer. They have done very well with QB's that are a couple of inches shorter than the norm when it comes to height, but not short on talent.

They probably still need to to add some maturity to the mix, by signing an "impact" JC player, preferably a mid-term. If not I look for them to go after a graduate transfer.