Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lesson Learned on Mike

Started by WilsonHog, February 19, 2017, 08:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

A man whose opinion I respect a great deal, who knows Mike personally, said a few weeks ago, "I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody pronounce Mike Anderson dead and buried." May be some truth to that.

Fair is fair. If I'm going to give him hell for losing to Mizzou in Columbia, I've also got to acknowledge the great win at Carolina. I can't bitch about the Vandy game at BWA without giving equal kudos for the Ole Miss win.

Truth be told, hanging on the outcome of every game is exhausting. Sucks all the fun and enjoyment out of Razorback basketball.

We're sitting at 20-7 and 9-5, and right now that is good enough. I'll leave all the argument pro-and anti-Mike to y'all. You're much better at it than I am, and for reasons I don't begin to understand, you actually enjoy it.

Get after the Aggies' ass Wednesday night.

OnTheHillHogFan

Better watch yourself if you say that around an Aggie  ;)
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

DeltaBoy

It is fine . Nolan said Mike would make some changes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

I want Mike to succeed. I want to make the NCAA Tournament consistently. I am pleased with the coaching adjustments I have seen from Mike these last two games, particularly defensively. Without those changes, I believe we would have been out of the tournament picture.

If Mike closes out this season strong and makes the ncaa tournament, he has my full support going forward.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2017, 09:00:27 pm
I want Mike to succeed. I want to make the NCAA Tournament consistently. I am pleased with the coaching adjustments I have seen from Mike these last two games, particularly defensively. Without those changes, I believe we would have been out of the tournament picture.

If Mike closes out this season strong and makes the ncaa tournament, he has my full support going forward.

Thats where i am as well. Its been tournament or bust all season for me. That game yesterday was just fun. Felt like old times.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

McKdaddy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2017, 09:05:54 pm
Thats where i am as well. Its been tournament or bust all season for me. That game yesterday was just fun. Felt like old times.

^^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2017, 09:00:27 pm

I think we are on the verge of doing just that...Consistently. Having buy in is premium, trusting the system, not being quitters like some of the recent transfers.

What I do think CMA  can improve upon is doing a better job of selling his system to his players.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Letsroll1200

He's as tough as they come. The guy will not quit and I'm thrilled my favorite coach is leading my favorite team.

HoopS

I'm with you on "just wanting to enjoy" being a fan. I read arguments that run on for hundreds of posts and there's no meeting in the middle. Exhausting to read. I simply cannot stand it. I hope we do enough to make being a fan enjoyable on these boards.

lutherheggs

The problem for me is that the extreme inconsistency (same in football) has reduced my faith in MA's ability to coach us where we all think we should be...NCAAT every year. Am i wrong in thinking this?

Rooster Hogburn

Mike is way better than pork and beans.

Book it! WPS
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

daprospecta

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 19, 2017, 09:25:51 pm
The problem for me is that the extreme inconsistency (same in football) has reduced my faith in MA's ability to coach us where we all think we should be...NCAAT every year. Am i wrong in thinking this?
If you follow college basketball, you would know it happens to teams better than us.  Duke got beat at home to 14-14 NC State. It happens. What is important is what happens the majority of the time. 20-7 says we do the right things the majority of time.

ChicoHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 19, 2017, 10:06:08 pm
Until a Mike Anderson coached team makes a deep run in the NCAA tournament, I won't be sold on him.  Beating SEC teams isn't exactly a Herculean feat these days.
Let me say it differently. Until an Anderson coached team is competitive for conference titles and consistently is in the NCAA tournament I won't be sold.  Anyone can get lucky and make a deep run once or twice.  Heck, Heath and even Anderson did it.  But neither one has consistently competed for conference championships and consistently been in the NCAA tournament. 

Great job the last couple of games.  Keep it going.

biglewhog77

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 19, 2017, 08:39:11 pm
A man whose opinion I respect a great deal, who knows Mike personally, said a few weeks ago, "I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody pronounce Mike Anderson dead and buried." May be some truth to that.

Fair is fair. If I'm going to give him hell for losing to Mizzou in Columbia, I've also got to acknowledge the great win at Carolina. I can't bitch about the Vandy game at BWA without giving equal kudos for the Ole Miss win.

Truth be told, hanging on the outcome of every game is exhausting. Sucks all the fun and enjoyment out of Razorback basketball.

We're sitting at 20-7 and 9-5, and right now that is good enough. I'll leave all the argument pro-and anti-Mike to y'all. You're much better at it than I am, and for reasons I don't begin to understand, you actually enjoy it.

Thanks for that cause I think he's doing a great job

AugustaHog

The team has looked outstanding the last couple games.  Kudos to MA for staying his course with these guys and keeping them together.  I've been pessimistic about our chances and get annoyed about dropping games like Vandy and Mizzou, as much as anybody.  The frustrating thing has been that there is a ton of talent on this team and they weren't living up to it.  If they get locked in for this last stretch run like they were vs. Bama, USC-e, and OM then the sky's the limit.  We have solid post play and outstanding guard play.  That is the recipe for a deep tourney run.  I just hope they keep playing together and the shooters stay hot.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 19, 2017, 08:39:11 pm

Not sure when he would have been even "close to death" in his head coaching career for someone to say he was dead and buried.  Halftime LSU may be the closest he has ever come.  What he has been is just good enough which makes it maddening for some. 

The rest of your post I agree with.  In past seasons, it took till mid to late January and some SEC losses for him to figure out his team.  Just took a little longer this season.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2017, 09:05:54 pm

Yep. If he makes the tournament, we have to keep him. That's been a mantra for a lot of people this year.

Would I prefer a new coach? Yeah, I think so. But if we're dancing, I'm not going to complain.

JayBell

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 20, 2017, 08:05:10 amThe rest of your post I agree with.  In past seasons, it took till mid to late January and some SEC losses for him to figure out his team.  Just took a little longer this season.

Um.....what?  In four of five seasons, Arkansas has been terrible down the stretch.  They straight out collapsed at the end of the regular season in his first three years.  He's been one and done four out of five years in the SEC Tournament.

The good thing is this team is bucking a lot of trends Arkansas has had under Anderson, but do not act like he's working some consistent formula where the team gets hot two-thirds of the way through the season and finishes strong.  This would be a first.

hobhog

Glad everyone is happy again, but nothing has really changed yet. We haven't made the dance yet and have still only been once under MA. He loses at least 3 key players this year and next year could be down again.

It appears MA has saved his job this year and thats great for him and his staff. But this program is still not where I want it to be. Loved the OM win and REALLY want to make the tourney and will be happy for Mike, but am still a little skeptical.

lynbug

My opinion is that no one would waste their time and energy expressing their frustrations on this board unless they were deeply invested (emotionally, financially, whatever) in the Hogs.  That frustration really shows up when we see bad trends, bad playing, bad coaching.  We just have to vent.  However, I don't think ANYONE would rather see our team fail so that they could POSSIBLY get another coach they MIGHT like better.  Coaching changes are rough.....rebuilds are rough......we all just want to win, play up to our potential and be a perennial top 25 team (most of the years).  And it would be nice if that happened with a  throwback coach from our glory days.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on February 20, 2017, 08:39:15 am
Um.....what?  In four of five seasons, Arkansas has been terrible down the stretch.  They straight out collapsed at the end of the regular season in his first three years.  He's been one and done four out of five years in the SEC Tournament.

The good thing is this team is bucking a lot of trends Arkansas has had under Anderson, but do not act like he's working some consistent formula where the team gets hot two-thirds of the way through the season and finishes strong.  This would be a first.

For Frank sake.   ::)   Didn't see this one coming.  Exhausting forum.  Try to be a little positive and get this.  Now will respond and will get it from the other side because I might say something which will get interpreted as negative. 

I was only referring to player rotation and figuring out what his team could effectively do.  We have had these conversations many times including earlier this season.  The biggest examples in the past was in his guard rotation.  Not acting like he has had some consistent formula to carry the teams deep into March.  We have discussed this too as recently as this month.  And not seeing the trend bucked either.  At least not yet.  We've had some good February wins.  The offensive explosions in BWA only to finish with horrible losses to teams shorthanded. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

raz1965

Arkansas does not have elite talent, as the best teams do, Mike  done a great job last year to go 16/16 with the guys he had. I would say that over half the teams in the sec has as good of talent as Arkansas has, several have better talent. When Mike starts getting his first choice players his teams will win at a high level. Recruiting is truly the difference in being a elite team and a good team. Mike is building toward elite status, it takes time and it appears that the time is nearing. There is no doubt that Mike can lead the Razorbacks to compete with all other teams when he begins to get his choice of players, to this point he has had to settle for players as we all know, and we can all see now with his next two recruiting classes that a change is taking place. I'm starting to think this team can make noise in the NCAA tourney as it is.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on February 20, 2017, 08:46:00 am
My opinion is that no one would waste their time and energy expressing their frustrations on this board unless they were deeply invested (emotionally, financially, whatever) in the Hogs.  That frustration really shows up when we see bad trends, bad playing, bad coaching.  We just have to vent.  However, I don't think ANYONE would rather see our team fail so that they could POSSIBLY get another coach they MIGHT like better.  Coaching changes are rough.....rebuilds are rough......we all just want to win, play up to our potential and be a perennial top 25 team (most of the years).  And it would be nice if that happened with a  throwback coach from our glory days.

Nailed it.

People want to see better coaching and sustained periods of acceptable success. There's always going to be doubt with Anderson because he has not provided enough of either of those things. Perfectly acceptable for a fan to expect that from a coach. That stretch starting with Oklahoma State was rough on fans because we're six years in here with just a single NCAA tournament appearance and the near-universal consensus at least on this board was that the Hogs should be back in the NCAAs this year. We've all been following the RPI and bracket projections. We knew it would be tough to absorb a loss to a team like Missouri. Then we lost to them and followed it up with a 20-point loss to a team without its leading scorer. The team looked like it had quit on the coach. When I see the players giving up, it's hard for me to have trust in the coach if his players aren't going to fight. To his and their credit, everything turned around out of the half in Baton Rouge and they're rocked out ever since.

Show me that I can trust the coaching. Show me that you can get the players to buy in to what you are preaching. Show me that you can get us to a level of sustained success where we're making the NCAA tournament most years and advancing regularly. Is it too much to expect the level of success Baylor has seen under Scott Drew? It took him four seasons before he got them in the NCAAs his fifth season. Anderson's run at Arkansas hasn't gone exactly the same, but let's start putting some consistency together here. Making the tournament and advancing in two of three seasons is a good start. We looked dialed-in. I think we can get to the 23 regular season wins I projected before the season. What a ride. We need the matchup Gods to be favorable to us on Selection Sunday if we're selected.

JayBell

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 20, 2017, 08:50:57 amFor Frank sake.   ::)   Didn't see this one coming.  Exhausting forum.  Try to be a little positive and get this.  Now will respond and will get it from the other side because I might say something which will get interpreted as negative.

I was only referring to player rotation and figuring out what his team could effectively do.  We have had these conversations many times including earlier this season.  The biggest examples in the past was in his guard rotation.  Not acting like he has had some consistent formula to carry the teams deep into March.  We have discussed this too as recently as this month.  And not seeing the trend bucked either.  At least not yet.  We've had some good February wins.  The offensive explosions in BWA only to finish with horrible losses to teams shorthanded.

It's not a reaction to positivity.  The forum can be exhausting, but please don't take it that way.  I said the team is bucking bad trends, namely the poor road performances.

Other than the 2014-15 season when he finally put Beard into the starting lineup, I just don't see where he "figured out" the lineup or the rotation.  If he did, I would hope they could have finished much stronger each year instead of floundering so often.

JayBell

Quote from: lynbug on February 20, 2017, 08:46:00 amMy opinion is that no one would waste their time and energy expressing their frustrations on this board unless they were deeply invested (emotionally, financially, whatever) in the Hogs.  That frustration really shows up when we see bad trends, bad playing, bad coaching.  We just have to vent.  However, I don't think ANYONE would rather see our team fail so that they could POSSIBLY get another coach they MIGHT like better.  Coaching changes are rough.....rebuilds are rough......we all just want to win, play up to our potential and be a perennial top 25 team (most of the years).  And it would be nice if that happened with a  throwback coach from our glory days.

I'm just going to quote this post any time I hear more accusations about "haters" from now on.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 19, 2017, 09:19:39 pm
He's as tough as they come. The guy will not quit and I'm thrilled my favorite coach is leading my favorite team.
+1000 to fans like you. like me you never lost faith in Mike.even in the bad times you never turned on the coach.never saw where you called for him to be fired.and +1000 to you again for that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: raz1965 on February 20, 2017, 09:04:53 am
Arkansas does not have elite talent, as the best teams do, Mike  done a great job last year to go 16/16 with the guys he had. I would say that over half the teams in the sec has as good of talent as Arkansas has, several have better talent. When Mike starts getting his first choice players his teams will win at a high level. Recruiting is truly the difference in being a elite team and a good team. Mike is building toward elite status, it takes time and it appears that the time is nearing. There is no doubt that Mike can lead the Razorbacks to compete with all other teams when he begins to get his choice of players, to this point he has had to settle for players as we all know, and we can all see now with his next two recruiting classes that a change is taking place. I'm starting to think this team can make noise in the NCAA tourney as it is.

"I would say that over half the teams in the sec has as good of talent as Arkansas has, several have better talent."

A top end talent perhaps but not the depth of offensive options. 

"When Mike starts getting his first choice players his teams will win at a high level.  Mike is building toward elite status, it takes time and it appears that the time is nearing. There is no doubt that Mike can lead the Razorbacks to compete with all other teams when he begins to get his choice of players, to this point he has had to settle for players as we all know, and we can all see now with his next two recruiting classes that a change is taking place."

I wouldn't say building as much as hanging on and bridging gaps till it comes together.  The only thing changed is the timing of when the state is producing help willing to play at Arkansas.  If these recruits came out a few years ago, perhaps we would be further along.  If they would have come out a few years from now, would be questionable how it would be bridged till they got here.  It isn't a situation unique to Mike though or basketball as far as needing the state's help.  Arkansans Portis and Hannahs have gone a long way in how well it has been bridged till something consistent and sustainable might happen.

I agree when he can get the recruits he wants to fit how he wants to play there will be more winning. 

ballz2thewall

MA is, to me, like a girlfriend.

ya never know......

i'm enjoying these last efforts, BUT.......
The rest of the frog.

JIHawg

I think the fan base as a whole has been more than fair with Mike.  While complaining, they have been patient and tolerant of some badly played games and genuinely want Mike to succeed.

phadedhawg

There were more fans in Bud Walton on Saturday than I ever thought I'd see again.  There were stretches of the Ole Miss game that looked just like the glory days.  Huge 3 after huge 3.  Macon feeding a no look pass inside with attitude and intent.  Every time the opponent lifted his head from the canvas another round of beat down was administered.   Here's hoping it's not a flash in the pan but the beginning of a new era.

hogsanity

Lesson learned on Mike? We have gotten EXACTLY what I thought we were getting when he took the job. Wildly inconsistent, on the bubble more years than not, a big year when he has a special talent, but otherwise doing just enough to stay employed. This looks to be yet another one of those years. Unless they collapse down the stretch, which look unlikely given the string of injuries to key players to 3 of the future opponents. Even if they lose to FLA AND another one, they still get in unless the go 0-1 in the sect. So they get in as a 9-11 seed, which will be enough to get him 2 more years, at least.

And, if you just want a team that is around the ncaat conversation, then you are set.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JayBell

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 20, 2017, 09:23:48 am+1000 to fans like you. like me you never lost faith in Mike.even in the bad times you never turned on the coach.never saw where you called for him to be fired.and +1000 to you again for that.

95% of the fan base has never called for him to be fired.  They may have said, "If Arkansas does not make it to the NCAAT again this year, then Mike should be fired," but the vast majority of fans have never called for Mike's job based on what has transpired up to this point.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2017, 09:45:45 am
Lesson learned on Mike? We have gotten EXACTLY what I thought we were getting when he took the job. Wildly inconsistent, on the bubble more years than not, a big year when he has a special talent, but otherwise doing just enough to stay employed. This looks to be yet another one of those years. Unless they collapse down the stretch, which look unlikely given the string of injuries to key players to 3 of the future opponents. Even if they lose to FLA AND another one, they still get in unless the go 0-1 in the sect. So they get in as a 9-11 seed, which will be enough to get him 2 more years, at least.

And, if you just want a team that is around the ncaat conversation, then you are set.
Yea let's do like you want and fire a coach who will win over 20 games again.and make the NCAA if they do.stop,just stop.

forrest city joe

Quote from: JayBell on February 20, 2017, 09:46:31 am
95% of the fan base has never called for him to be fired.  They may have said, "If Arkansas does not make it to the NCAAT again this year, then Mike should be fired," but the vast majority of fans have never called for Mike's job based on what has transpired up to this point.
Have you read Hogville? and Mike should not be fired PERIOD!

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 20, 2017, 09:52:38 am
Yea let's do like you want and fire a coach who will win over 20 games again.and make the NCAA if they do.stop,just stop.

20 wins in college basketball means nothing, and you know it. You know success in ncaa basketball is measured by ncaat appearances. And remember, I said before the season this was a ncaat team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on February 20, 2017, 09:46:31 am

To piggy back on that, I'd say there is even a difference in calling for a coach to be fired and saying you personally would like to see a coaching change. There's a difference between "Anderson has to go" and "I think we'd be better off with another coach." Plenty of people are in marriages they aren't happy in but not all of them are filing for divorce. Kind of how the coach/fan relationship can be at times. Ups and downs, happy with/unhappy with. All of a matter of what amount of crap you can take and still want to continue the relationship.

If many fans did not call for his firing after the Vanderbilt game, they were right up on the line, though. Most fans have maintained the NCAAs or gone expectation.

Atlhogfan1

Enjoy the good times like now.  This program, team, coach discussion is exhausting.  Not that I've agreed with the situation since it was obvious we were going to get into it but Mike is going to be here till he doesn't want to be.  Hope for the best. 

Little Lady Back

February 20, 2017, 09:58:23 am #37 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:08:38 am by Little Lady Back

Here's hoping we make the tournament and do well!! Go Hogs  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Kevin

Make NCAA he will get an  extension and all talk can stop.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dirty

Bless Your Heart

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2017, 09:56:04 am
20 wins in college basketball means nothing, and you know it. You know success in ncaa basketball is measured by ncaat appearances. And remember, I said before the season this was a ncaat team.
You also said  this year you wanted Mike Fired.so don't tell me about what you said before the year.and winning 20 games does still count for something.and here at Arkansas i should mean a lot after what we have seen since the Nolan years.No to firing Mike Anderson.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 20, 2017, 09:56:59 am
To piggy back on that, I'd say there is even a difference in calling for a coach to be fired and saying you personally would like to see a coaching change. There's a difference between "Anderson has to go" and "I think we'd be better off with another coach." Plenty of people are in marriages they aren't happy in but not all of them are filing for divorce. Kind of how the coach/fan relationship can be at times. Ups and downs, happy with/unhappy with. All of a matter of what amount of crap you can take and still want to continue the relationship.

If many fans did not call for his firing after the Vanderbilt game, they were right up on the line, though. Most fans have maintained the NCAAs or gone expectation.

That is where I am. I think, if the goal is to again be a team that is a real threat to make the sweet 16 every year, Mike is NOT the guy. IF the goal is to just hopefully get in the mix for the NCAAT and make it now and then, he will do that ( but so would 50 other coaches ).

Dirty

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2017, 10:11:55 am
That is where I am. I think, if the goal is to again be a team that is a real threat to make the sweet 16 every year, Mike is NOT the guy. IF the goal is to just hopefully get in the mix for the NCAAT and make it now and then, he will do that ( but so would 50 other coaches ).

Stan Heath, Pel, we can go on!  Just go back last year and look at the one and dones and remove them from your list of 50.  I'm waiting.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dirty on February 20, 2017, 10:13:54 am
Stan Heath, Pel, we can go on!  Just go back last year and look at the one and dones and remove them from your list of 50.  I'm waiting.

Dumb.

jgphillips3

There are always inexplicable losses.  I remember MayDay losing a game to TCU in Fort Worth by a score of like 48-44.  It was absurd.  It happens to the best.  Year 6 in a terrible basketball conference with only one NCAA is the problem. If he will rattle off 2 or 3 straight appearances and win a game each time, people will buy back in.

pigture perfect

I like Mike. I do, really. I think we will make the tournament and that will get me off his back this year. I hate the idea that he has to feel this much pressure from the fan base to make the changes necessary to be a tourney team. He's proven he can do it, but only if he's pressured to. That does not bode well for the future in my opinion.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

raz1965

There is no facts to say that Mike can't do anything, a lot on Hogville said we would lose the last three games, how did that turn out? Recruiting and retaining players has been Arkansas's weakness since Mike took over, not coaching on the floor. Sure this team has had up and downs, just as all teams without great talent has, but the future looks bright for the Razorbacks. Reasonable people can see truth, no doubt some just don't like Mikes style of coaching, which they have that right but that does not mean Mike is a bad coach. Recruiting is picking up and so will the wins.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogsanity on February 20, 2017, 10:11:55 am

this is a pretty good and objective standard, i'd say.
The rest of the frog.

JayBell

Quote from: raz1965 on February 20, 2017, 10:30:05 amThere is no facts to say that Mike can't do anything, a lot on Hogville said we would lose the last three games, how did that turn out? Recruiting and retaining players has been Arkansas's weakness since Mike took over, not coaching on the floor. Sure this team has had up and downs, just as all teams without great talent has, but the future looks bright for the Razorbacks. Reasonable people can see truth, no doubt some just don't like Mikes style of coaching, which they have that right but that does not mean Mike is a bad coach. Recruiting is picking up and so will the wins.

Lol, wow.  Reasonable people know that wide open 3-pointers are actually a good thing, you guys!  Switching on screens is ALWAYS advisable.  Two post players are never necessary on the court at the same time under any circumstance.  Whatever you do, you should never ever change a system.  No matter what.

Come. On.  Be real.  I really, really like Mike, but his problems go way, way beyond recruiting and retention.  Most of it has to do with him being overly steadfastly dedicated to a system that thrived in a different era with different rules.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I'm happy with the team right now.

They seem to be very hungry to reach the end goal which is the NCAA.
That's the thing though, the END goal is making the NCAA.  Our backs are against the wall and we must win in order to get there.

My worry is we will get to the NCAA and lay an egg yet again.  Too many times (no matter who the coach is except pelphrey after year one) we would go on an improbable winning streak about this time of year.
Even in pelphrey's good season in year one we beat a great Tennessee in the final seconds in Atlanta to sew up an NCAA bid.

The issue is all these great wins would get the fans/players happy and fired up about streaking toward the NCAA and then just be happy about getting there.

The 99 team that beat a great auburn and Kentucky teams had ZERO business losing to Iowa in the 2nd round, bucknell (fresh legs), southern cal, Georgetown, North Carolina with pelphrey, Miami in 2000 after we won the sec tournament, etc etc.

I want our team playing at peak level WHEN we get to the show, not right before the show and then flaming out. This program needs a solid NCAA run in the worst way possible.