Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson on Bo Mattingly today

Started by Rbill, February 17, 2017, 06:32:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

I was very encouraged by Mike's interview today. He mentioned certain guys are figuring it out. He basically confirmed that he is shortening the rotation with the year winding down. He continually mentioned Dusty, Barford, Manny, and Moses -and Thompson too. I'm encouraged based on what I saw against SC, my interpretation of why we were successful, and Mike basically confirming that today.
Did anyone else hear it and come away with the same impression I did?

FineAsSwine

Didn't hear it but interested in listening if there is a link.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rbill on February 17, 2017, 06:32:49 pm
I was very encouraged by Mike's interview today. He mentioned certain guys are figuring it out. He basically confirmed that he is shortening the rotation with the year winding down. He continually mentioned Dusty, Barford, Manny, and Moses -and Thompson too. I'm encouraged based on what I saw against SC, my interpretation of why we were successful, and Mike basically confirming that today.
those five and macon are the keys. less beard and less bailey and less thomas is a good thing. but those guys have played enough to be decent for us if and when we need them.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Rbill

He was also very high on Thomas. It was definitely very interesting comments on defensive focus and shortening the rotation. He was surprisingly open with it and certainly deviated from the standard "we have a lot of legs and sing everyone's praises." I think he's basically right on the money with the players he praised based on recent output and I'm encouraged because it feels like we really learned a bit of who we are in that game. I hope we try a little consistency with it tomorrow.

Rbill

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rbill on February 17, 2017, 10:37:59 pm
He was also very high on Thomas. It was definitely very interesting comments on defensive focus and shortening the rotation. He was surprisingly open with it and certainly deviated from the standard "we have a lot of legs and sing everyone's praises." I think he's basically right on the money with the players he praised based on recent output and I'm encouraged because it feels like we really learned a bit of who we are in that game. I hope we try a little consistency with it tomorrow.

Nolan was high on Thomas as well. Said it's only a matter of time before he breaks out.

RagingHawgOn

As a vocal MA critic, I will GLADLY eat crow if he figures this mess out. Bothers me that it's taken 90% of the season for him to adjust but, nonetheless, hope he gets it done. Still don't believe he gets us where we should be.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 18, 2017, 12:44:22 am
As a vocal MA critic, I will GLADLY eat crow if he figures this mess out. Bothers me that it's taken 90% of the season for him to adjust but, nonetheless, hope he gets it done. Still don't believe he gets us where we should be.
77%
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2017, 10:46:11 pm
Nolan was high on Thomas as well. Said it's only a matter of time before he breaks out.

Now, if only someone can teach him how to make free throws.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Broadway Rob

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

k.c.hawg

Unfortunately this could have easily been foreseen. When you are starting a season coming off of 16-16 and 3 JUCO's and a transfer that have not played in a game situation for CMA are going to be relied upon to make for a great comeback season it was expecting a lot. As success starved basketball fans it is easy to be blinded by individual talent but history says teams infusing and relying on several JUCO's are not going to come together early if at all. Moses didn't look as comfortable, Cook and Thomas are both inconsistent, Barford shows great flashes but is inconsistent. I'm traveling down for the game and a weekend in Fayetteville, hope our guys can get their 3rd W in a row and play their 2nd good game, back to back.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hobhog

Play more zone and Thompson Moses combo and I'll be happy. Because we will win.

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

lynbug

In referencing MA's comments on Bo's show and thoughts about today's game.......Wednesday night's V was made possible by Moses actually playing the game we all have been waiting for ALL SEASON LONG (IMO). Yeah, the zone defense didn't hurt either.  However, when they saw what Moses  was doing in the paint.....that opened the gate for the guards.  Can he do it two games in a row?  Don't know but if he does I will be pleasantly shocked.  All I know is that Ole Miss can't cover up all our players and if we have at least one doing his job inside and one doing his job outside.....I say we win double digits :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

lynbug

Quote from: hobhog on February 18, 2017, 08:36:29 am
Play more zone and Thompson Moses combo and I'll be happy. Because we will win.
Got to agree.  If MA decides "tonight's the night we get AB going again.....we're in trouble. (Sorry wrong click....this was in reference to TNhawsgfan's post.

swinesation

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 17, 2017, 08:19:26 pm
those five and macon are the keys. less beard and less bailey and less thomas is a good thing. but those guys have played enough to be decent for us if and when we need them.

Thomas is solid on defense, especially when we're trapping effectively (which I'll admit isn't often). He's decent on rebounds and doesn't hurt us on the offensive end. Beard, on the other hand, does too many of those wild drives into the paint. Reminds me of Kareem Reid - not sure what it is about left-handers.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: swinesation on February 18, 2017, 03:26:37 pm
Thomas is solid on defense, especially when we're trapping effectively (which I'll admit isn't often). He's decent on rebounds and doesn't hurt us on the offensive end. Beard, on the other hand, does too many of those wild drives into the paint. Reminds me of Kareem Reid - not sure what it is about left-handers.
yeah, i like that we have depth there with some role players. we'll need them at some point. but efforts should be made to keep Moses', Macon's, Barford's, and Dusty's minutes up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Rbill

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 18, 2017, 03:29:54 pm
yeah, i like that we have depth there with some role players. we'll need them at some point. but efforts should be made to keep Moses', Macon's, Barford's, and Dusty's minutes up.

It honestly didn't sound like Mike agreed about Macon right now. Particularly when talking about coming together on the defensive end. He noticeably didn't mention his name several times until asked about him specifically.

hogfanny

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rbill on February 17, 2017, 06:32:49 pm

Your claim was an 8 man rotation as I remembered. That is absolutely not even close to what is actually happening. There are still 10 guys playing every game.

Rbill

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 18, 2017, 07:38:55 pm
Your claim was an 8 man rotation as I remembered. That is absolutely not even close to what is actually happening. There are still 10 guys playing every game.

All I said is exactly what coach said and also which names he didn't say. He was asked if he's shortening the rotation with the year winding down and he said yeah that's what you do with the year winding down. Sorry if you don't like what coach said in his interview.

I think the biggest difference is actually just changing the rotation. Which forwards are getting minutes now and which guards are getting more minutes and which are coming off the bench. Looks great.