Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm going on record

Started by Porked Tongue, February 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 07:55:48 am
Let's say this all comes to pass as Porked has gone on record.

The logical conclusion is that Jeff Long (and/or influential boosters) are not happy. Some change must be made. Mike is too entrenched after a likely 20-win season, so the next best course of action to demonstrate that unhappiness is to cut some assistants loose.

Bet Mike will love that.

When has that "plan" ever worked out?  A head coach should stay employed through his own decision-making. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 12:43:31 am

Man all these basketball geniuses act like get rid of Mike and were just going to get Mike K or Bill Self to walk right in. DELUSIONAL.

Exaggerate much??? No one has said that or even hinted at it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Sivad

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2017, 07:13:26 am
Would Corliss joining the staff to replace Watkins be a good move.
No. Enough of this regenerating Nolan at every turn. That strain has us in the ditch now.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2017, 08:49:34 am
Exaggerate much??? No one has said that or even hinted at it.

Oh please a lot of you expect to replace Mike with a Legend or future Legend when point of fact more than likely to get another John Pelphrey.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 09:12:23 am
Oh please a lot of you expect to replace Mike with a Legend or future Legend when point of fact more than likely to get another John Pelphrey.

This is false. Stop embarrassing yourself.

WilsonHog

I loved what Corliss did here as a player.

I don't want him within 100 yards of our bench.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 09:12:23 am

The funny thing is no one is even really talking about legends or top 10 coaches. Most people want Buzz Williams or Archie Miller. There's also a pocket of posters who would welcome Kevin Keatts (myself included). If "another John Pelphrey" is just a lazy term for a mid-major up-and-comer, then, yes, plenty of us would take that. Pelphrey was a Plan Z hire after Altman left due to administrative neglect that isn't present now. Many are willing to take a chance on someone else because we know what we've got with Mike and we know where it isn't leading to. "Having to" hire "another John Pelphrey" should not be a reason to keep Mike Anderson.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 09:17:36 am
The funny thing is no one is even really talking about legends or top 10 coaches. Most people want Buzz Williams or Archie Miller. There's also a pocket of posters who would welcome Kevin Keatts (myself included). If "another John Pelphrey" is just a lazy term for a mid-major up-and-comer, then, yes, plenty of us would take that. Pelphrey was a Plan Z hire after Altman left due to administrative neglect that isn't present now. Many are willing to take a chance on someone else because we know what we've got with Mike and we know where it isn't leading to. "Having to" hire "another John Pelphrey" should not be a reason to keep Mike Anderson.

What is the most amazing thing to me about the Pelphrey hire is that he was recommended by a search firm!

lutherheggs

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm
Anderson gets another year barring some real collapse.

Some staff changes will occur.  One is already completed.

For awhile, I was of the opinion this was his swansong without a NCAA berth.   Now I think that's not a line in the sand.

I do think missing it this year puts an "all or nothing" on him the following year.
I will alert the media.

Athog

seasonhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 07:55:48 am
Let's say this all comes to pass as Porked has gone on record.

The logical conclusion is that Jeff Long (and/or influential boosters) are not happy. Some change must be made. Mike is too entrenched after a likely 20-win season, so the next best course of action to demonstrate that unhappiness is to cut some assistants loose.

Bet Mike will love that.

Mike need to get asst. who can teach the basic of BB........& let them coach....I don't think that will happen......hiring friends as asst. is a recipe for failure .....our team looks lost at times......

We started going down hill when Hannah stop starting......when we start missing our shots....we stop playing.

Razorod

If the above scenario is accurate, we need a coach who can recruit and develop bigs. We don't really have a coach whose forte is teaching posts.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 09:17:15 am

I don't necessarily either, but Mike isn't going to bring in someone he isn't really close to.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 09:17:15 am

Corliss was hired as an NBA assistant coach after leaving UCA and has since been coveted enough to be plucked from Sacramento to a job for a new coach in Orlando. Sounds like Corliss has value as a coach and is proving it at the highest level of the game.

I want him back here in some capacity.

Razorod

Also, Alabama A & M may be looking for a coach after this season. A spot for TJ?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Atlhogfan1

Corliss seems to be building a nice reputation for himself in the NBA.  Could be heading to being a HC at some point as respected as he is including from his playing days.  Can't hold that UCA stint against him too much.

This would just make it that much harder to remove Anderson from an emotional standpoint.  Not specifically Anderson.  But if he goes, so do our former players.  We already have Scotty and Lee working in the program.  Lets throw Corliss in there too.  Oh well, it is their fault we are in this position. 

Quote from: Razorod on February 14, 2017, 10:43:44 am
Also, Alabama A & M may be looking for a coach after this season. A spot for TJ?

Is that a hole a coach can get himself promoted up out of?  Stoglin went into the SWAC, won a few conf tourneys to make NCAAs and never made it out as a head coach. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorod on February 14, 2017, 10:43:44 am

If TJ wants to be a head coach, he just needs to go and get a job somewhere. JUCO, DII, whatever. He might not ever get a chance waiting for a D1 job. But I'd like to see him take a job like AAM.

Hog Fan...DOH!

What's Dan Hipsher up to these days? 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2017, 08:42:05 am
I strongly disagree. Mike needs to totally separate himself from the Nolan era and release every staff member that has any connection at all to Nolan.

That's a bad idea!! Nolan Richardson is the Arkansas Razorbacks basketball program.

Jonteviosk

You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2017, 07:13:26 am
Would Corliss joining the staff to replace Watkins be a good move. Brings nba coaching experience, some head coach experience, another personable recruiter like Scotty. Might not be a bad move.

Why does everyone want former players and people tied to Nolan. Just because a good player dont mean he can coach, i.e., UCA.

RID ALL THINGS TIED TO NOLAN

Wild Bill Hog

For awhile, I was of the opinion this was his swansong without a NCAA berth.   Now I think that's not a line in the sand.

I do think missing it this year puts an "all or nothing" on him the following year.

But he needs 2 more years.    ;)

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2017, 11:01:55 am
That's a bad idea!! Nolan Richardson is the Arkansas Razorbacks basketball program.
That is the problem. Time to move on...

Atlhogfan1

At least you will say it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 10:10:02 pm
I can confirm that scenario will not occur.
Watkins retires and Corliss gets hired???
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 14, 2017, 11:07:23 am
Why does everyone want former players and people tied to Nolan. Just because a good player dont mean he can coach, i.e., UCA.

Because they are stuck on one of nolans understudies to bring that era and type of ball, it aint happening though, but you are seeing a few around here stuck on it.  Of course then you have the few that make it about race too. 

The OTR

This goes hand in hand with what I've been reporting

My Sources are never a disappointment

WilsonHog

About like Frank Broyles is the Arkansas Razorbacks' football program.

In other words, not at all.

ARKWILD678

[/quote]

So you want to be rid of the National Championship that he brought to us.

riccoar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 14, 2017, 08:27:34 am
No they wouldn't. 
When Long has to drop the axe, he doesn't want to have to be in a Heath 2.0 scenario.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 11:47:12 am
About like Frank Broyles is the Arkansas Razorbacks' football program.

In other words, not at all.

Well Wilson, Frank did act like it after his retirement with his meddling. 

Was thinking about this comparison earlier.  We have some Nolan supporters, including ex-players, who apparently believe this to be true.  It is his program and had to be given back and now held onto. 

We aren't the first university who has dealt with this.  Sometimes it works out in the long run - Carolina with Dean and now Roy although you had a couple of weak branches from that tree fail first.  Georgetown not so much although lil Thompson does have that one F4 run. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ARKWILD678 on February 14, 2017, 11:51:04 am

So you want to be rid of the National Championship that he brought to us.

Dumb.  That wouldn't go away. 

DLUXHOG

February 14, 2017, 11:57:24 am #82 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:42:24 pm by DLUXHOG

Sutton put a stake in the ground and turned the program around....  all of a sudden, for 20+ years the Hogs were a force and very significant nationally.     why can't others?

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 09, 2017, 03:20:00 pm
<1976 - nothing much was cooking....
1976–77 Eddie Sutton 26–2 16–0 1st NCAA First Round
1977–78 Eddie Sutton 32–4 14–2 T-1st NCAA National Semifinal
1978–79 Eddie Sutton 25–5 13–3 T-1st NCAA Regional Final
1979–80 Eddie Sutton 21–8 13–3 2nd NCAA First Round
1980–81 Eddie Sutton 24–8 13–3 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1981–82 Eddie Sutton 23–6 12–4 1st NCAA First Round
1982–83 Eddie Sutton 26–4 14–2 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1983–84 Eddie Sutton 25–7 14–2 2nd NCAA First Round
1984–85 Eddie Sutton 22–13 10–6 2nd NCAA Second Round
1985–86 Nolan Richardson 12–16 4–12 7th N/A
1986–87 Nolan Richardson 19–14 8–8 5th NIT Second Round
1987–88 Nolan Richardson 21–9 11–5 T-2nd NCAA First Round
1988–89 Nolan Richardson 25–7 13–3 1st NCAA Second Round
1989–90 Nolan Richardson 30–5 14–2 1st NCAA National Semifinal
1990–91 Nolan Richardson 34–4 15–1 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1991–92 Nolan Richardson 26–8 13–3 1st NCAA Second Round
1992–93 Nolan Richardson 22–9 10–6 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1993–94 Nolan Richardson 31–3 14–2 1st NCAA National Champion
1994–95 Nolan Richardson 32–7 12–4 T-1st (West) NCAA National Final
1995–96 Nolan Richardson 20–13 9–7 T-2nd (West) NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1996–97 Nolan Richardson 18–14 8–8 2nd (West) NIT Semifinals
1997–98 Nolan Richardson 24–9 11–5 2nd (West) NCAA Second Round
1998–99 Nolan Richardson 23–11 9–7 2nd (West) NCAA Second Round
1999–00 Nolan Richardson 19–15 7–9 3rd (West) NCAA First Round
2000–01 Nolan Richardson 20–11 10–6 2nd (West) NCAA First Round
>2001 - nothing much has happened.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rude1

How often has a coach who was forced to make staff changes, turned the program around? Maybe if it is indeed being forced it is with the belief that Mike would stubbornly resist and look for a way out himself.

hobhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 14, 2017, 12:13:23 pm
How often has a coach who was forced to make staff changes, turned the program around? Maybe if it is indeed being forced it is with the belief that Mike would stubbornly resist and look for a way out himself.

This. And if he doesn't make changes the barbarians stay at the gate. Lose lose situation.

Only out: DANCE THIS YEAR.

Porked Tongue

Do not mistake my OP with agreeing that should be the path.

I thinking changing assistants is futile.  He won't change no matter who is in chairs beside him.

I've said it before, Mike is a bubble coach.  Not bad enough and not good enough.  I'm ready to risk his lower level of success for a greater one.  I don't think his accomplishments are enough insulation for the intense malaise that grips our program.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 14, 2017, 11:55:05 am
Dumb.  That wouldn't go away. 

True Atlhog. Some of these posters are so political. 

Awesome what Nolan did, but he stayed 5 years longer than should. Never bout race, but Nolan made it that way. There's enough of political correct going on in world today and I'll stand by my stance. Nolan gets credit for championship, but we don't owe his assistants or former players job on the bench. Fans dressevd the best coach and assistants on then bench.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 14, 2017, 01:19:24 pm
True Atlhog. Some of these posters are so political. 

Awesome what Nolan did, but he stayed 5 years longer than should. Never bout race, but Nolan made it that way. There's enough of political correct going on in world today and I'll stand by my stance. Nolan gets credit for championship, but we don't owe his assistants or former players job on the bench. Fans dressevd the best coach and assistants on then bench.

No the real hog fans that support the program no matter what the fair weather wannabees who keep griping about CMA and The players deserve is to go on down the road and cheer for someone else as the bandwagon hoppers they are.

phadedhawg

If they want Mike sitting in Bud Walton next year he will be sitting there (mostly) by himself. 

Sivad

Nolan Richardson is the Arkansas Razorbacks basketball program.
The same program he intentionally and repeatedly on a most public stage tried his best to destroy. And he did a pretty good job of it. We are still trying to arise from the destruction he left.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Sivad on February 14, 2017, 03:54:26 pm
The same program he intentionally and repeatedly tried his best to destroy. And he did a pretty good job of it. We are still trying to arise from the ashes he left.

Well it was his to destroy Sivad.  Please keep up   ;)

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Sivad on February 14, 2017, 03:54:26 pm
The same program he intentionally and repeatedly on a most public stage tried his best to destroy. And he did a pretty good job of it. We are still trying to arise from the destruction he left.

+1000

Potosihog

Watkins retires....Dr Fitz to the Hill???

GuvHog

No, the program ceased to be Nolan's 16 years ago. Mike needs to dismiss all of his assistants that have ties with Nolan and start fresh by hiring assistants with new modern ideas.

jm

I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins retires. His son graduates and he is getting a little older

root_hawg

Anderson's seat doesnt even get warm unless he isnt winning in 2018

The OTR

The OTR

batmanfan

In your opinion, what would qualify as a collapse? 2-4 and a first round SEC exit or would it have to be worse?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 10:10:02 pm
I can confirm that scenario will not occur.

Ok, being mostly serious this time. Can you confirm that Austin Peay's athletic department has nothing to do with the TBA staff change?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12