Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Merrick

Started by 100%Razorback, October 27, 2014, 10:06:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

100%Razorback

I just got a follow on Twitter from Jalen Merrick. I am an obvious Hog fan on my Twitter account.  Apparently he is a 6'3 330lb offensive lineman from Florida. Is he someone the coaches are going after? This guy is huge if you look at his pictures. He has pics of him with Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher etc. Anyone have any info?

PorkRinds

Quote from: 100%Razorback on October 27, 2014, 10:06:43 pm
I just got a follow on Twitter from Jalen Merrick. I am an obvious Hog fan on my Twitter account.  Apparently he is a 6'3 330lb offensive lineman from Florida. Is he someone the coaches are going after? This guy is huge if you look at his pictures. He has pics of him with Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher etc. Anyone have any info?

He's one of our biggest targets this year.  He and Barnett are the two oline guys we really want iirc.

ZERO

Landing either one of those guys would be awesome. If we somehow beat all odds and landed both, it would basically seal this class as the greatest ever signed in the BCS era.

Of course, it's an uphill battle for either of them, but Sam Pittman is never to be counted out.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

jackflash

With coach Pittman recruiting them. I don't think its a uphill battle. Actually think we get both. Looking at this class the uphill battle seems to be with Linebackers and defensive backs.

jjdlc

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 28, 2014, 09:04:46 am
Exactly. Can we trade some of these big, slow linemen that are unable to execute a screen pass and instead get us more defensive help? We don't have the offensive system to come from far behind, so we need the best defense possible to keep us at a deficit of 10 pts or less.

Do you have any idea how many offensive linemen we stand to lose over the next 2 years to graduation and possible early jumps to the NFL?

ricepig

Quote from: jjdlc on October 28, 2014, 09:22:36 am
Do you have any idea how many offensive linemen we stand to lose over the next 2 years to graduation and possible early jumps to the NFL?

Nah, he's just spewing his negativity in the recruiting forum now.

secneahog

If you look at our oline depth right now, we are thin. When need more Sec oline men.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2014, 09:26:30 am
Nah, he's just spewing his negativity in the recruiting forum now.

Wish he would get the hammer. He has never posted one positive thing.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

The_Iceman

I just followed Derrick Graham on Twitter, and 10 minutes later Jalen Merrick followed me. Interesting....

lumphog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2014, 09:36:16 am
I just followed Derrick Graham on Twitter, and 10 minutes later Jalen Merrick followed me. Interesting....
Jalen has Hog Fever........He's wants to play for Pittman. We'll get him.

ldfergu

Quote from: lumphog on November 04, 2014, 09:40:13 am
Jalen has Hog Fever........He's wants to play for Pittman. We'll get him.

We need both Jalen and Jalin

alwaysnextyear

Merrick will be a Hog barring some disaster. Merrick, Howell/Barnett, one RB, Reed, English, one more LB, one CB, one S will be your finish.

online-with-swine

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on November 04, 2014, 09:46:32 am
Merrick will be a Hog barring some disaster. Merrick, Howell/Barnett, one RB, Reed, English, one more LB, one CB, one S will be your finish.

That would be great finish.

JackJohnson

Quote from: secneahog on October 28, 2014, 09:48:13 am
If you look at our oline depth right now, we are thin. When need more Sec oline men.

When CBB was hired and then Pittman following suit I NEVER thought this would be a true statement...but it is. ESP for OT.  We NEED Merrick...

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: JackJohnson on November 04, 2014, 09:52:41 am
When CBB was hired and then Pittman following suit I NEVER thought this would be a true statement...but it is. ESP for OT.  We NEED Merrick...
That's what happens when Petrino only recruits two washout interior OL in one season or the OT's get kicked out of school.

The_Iceman

I count Ragnow as someone who could play OT. If Zack Rogers takes over the Center position in a few years, which is what he is tailor-made for, Ragnow has the skill to be a Tackle at 6'5" 300lb.

Actually, I would kinda like to see our O-line become a little more athletic to give us more options in the screen game.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on November 04, 2014, 09:54:46 am
That's what happens when Petrino only recruits two washout interior OL in one season or the OT's get kicked out of school.

Yup.  I get the impression that some people think these players appear and develop out of thin air. 

Think about our line right now.  Brey Cook- started most of his time here... but at about 3 positions.  Mitch Smothers- first year to start- first year to play center.  Tretola: first year starter.  Kirkland and Skipper- just sophomores. 

Next year:  Skipper, Kirkland, Ragnow, Tretola, and ... Wallace/Smothers?  Don't know.  Then who are the backups?  Koehler, Danenhauer, Beck, Deacon, Wallace/Smothers.

Ehh, ya.  We need some players. 

Hawgndaaz

He just followed me as well. I didn't know who he was either. he must be following a lot of bielema's followers.

IBleedRazorbackRed

One too many

hawgwatcher

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 04, 2014, 10:11:22 am
He just followed me as well. I didn't know who he was either. he must be following a lot of bielema's followers.
Same here. Followed me out of the blue.
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

CDBHawg

When CBB arrived he moved Jeremy Ward to DT. Then this year he moved Boyd and Ollison to DT as well.

I'm not demeaning the moves, but that's why we're thin on the OL.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2014, 10:48:33 am

When CBB arrived he moved Jeremy Ward to DT. Then this year he moved Boyd and Ollison to DT as well.

I'm not demeaning the move, but that's why we're thin on the OL.
They were moved because they weren't any good. Ward has never even dressed out for a game here. Bodies don't equal depth.

CDBHawg

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on November 04, 2014, 10:50:13 am
They were moved because they weren't any good. Ward has never even dressed out for a game here. Bodies don't equal depth.

I understand that. On the flip side, depth does equal bodies. And we seem to be fixing the problem.

The Hogfather

This would be an OUTSTANDING finish.  Especially if we get Merrick, Barnett, Reed, English, and Haughton.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2014, 10:57:12 am
I understand that. On the flip side, depth does equal bodies. And we seem to be fixing the problem.
Depth for a WINNING program, or one headed that way, means QUALITY bodies. Just because you may have a kid on the team that happens to be in a particular position doesn't necessarily translate into (real) depth.

immahog

If a recruit follows you on twitter think about the things you tweet about our players an coaches before you do it
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

The_Iceman

Quote from: immahog on November 04, 2014, 11:45:20 am
If a recruit follows you on twitter think about the things you tweet about our players an coaches before you do it

I hope he reads my tweets. He will see that our fanbase supports its players. I sure hope he doesn't follow a few certain posters on here.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 04, 2014, 11:16:20 am
Depth for a WINNING program, or one headed that way, means QUALITY bodies. Just because you may have a kid on the team that happens to be in a particular position doesn't necessarily translate into (real) depth.

You quoted me and pretty much stated what I said.

BatesvilleHOG

Merrick followed me on Twitter this morning as well. Right after I followed Graham and his older brother. I like our chances for him

The_Iceman

t-money

W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

TeedupHigh

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2014, 10:48:33 am

I'm not demeaning the moves, but that's why we're thin on the OL.

Moved for a reason or do you think CBB is trying to screw things up?

greenie

Quote from: TeedupHigh on November 04, 2014, 01:32:44 pm

I don't think he was saying anything derogatory against CBB, just that this is a contributing factor.  I don't think those two guys had a real future with the current OL.

CDBHawg

I think they were moved for a reason.

Why would CBB be trying to screw things up?

redeye

Quote from: greenie on November 04, 2014, 01:46:31 pm
I don't think he was saying anything derogatory against CBB, just that this is a contributing factor.  I don't think those two guys had a real future with the current OL.

247 rated Ward a 4-star DT out of high school, so I can only assume that moving him to DT wasn't a bad idea.  Anyone know how he's coming along?

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: redeye on November 04, 2014, 02:13:05 pm
247 rated Ward a 4-star DT out of high school, so I can only assume that moving him to DT wasn't a bad idea.  Anyone know how he's coming along?
Currently doesn't dress out. 247 blanket rates tons of people 4 stars. Same as the old rivals system.

SemperFi

Your statement doesn't make any sense. If Ward cannot compete for a spot on the OL and the coaches believe that he is better suited on the DL, then what's your beef? Are you really accusing Coach Bielema of sabotaging his own team? For what purpose would he do that? Of all the stupid things to say.....
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HogWildBison2011

Jalen Merrick just gave me a follow on twitter as well.

Adam Stokes

Just watched the hudl video.  Anyone think Jalen worked at IHOP over the summer?  He sure is good at serving up pancakes.  I was hoping he'd push a guy over the fence like off the Blindside.

Hawk

Just followed me as well, after I responded to a tweet from Josh Williams.

SemperFi

With alll this twitter stuff going on one might actually believe that he's a hard lean towards the Hogs. Usually, it's the other way around where these kids just beg Razorback fans for a follow to add to their count, but this guy is doing it in reverse. Those of you tweeting better be careful what you say and how you say it now that he's following you guys. Let's remain positive and let him see how a loyal fanbase treats their team.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Hawk on November 04, 2014, 03:01:12 pm
Just followed me as well, after I responded to a tweet from Josh Williams.
I shot you a follow shotgunhawk. I have quite a bit of family down in LA.

tannerstahl

I also got a follow from this kid this morning....I hope he committs...I love athletes who take lots of pride in being a HOG!
i love the hogs....so very very much

lumphog

THIS GUY is INTERESTED!!!!

Hawk

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on November 04, 2014, 03:21:15 pm
I shot you a follow shotgunhawk. I have quite a bit of family down in LA.

Cool. Thanks!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: redeye on November 04, 2014, 02:13:05 pm
Had a severe back injury that he didn't tell the coaches about until it required what could end up being career ending back surgery.  He is rehabbing and trying to make it back.  Time will tell.

All these jackasses talking him down don't know what they are talking about.
All Gas, No Brakes!

redeye

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 06, 2014, 01:51:59 am
Had a severe back injury that he didn't tell the coaches about until it required what could end up being career ending back surgery.  He is rehabbing and trying to make it back.  Time will tell.

Thanks!

SemperFi

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 06, 2014, 01:51:59 am

There's always another side to the story. Hope that he makes it back and is able to play for the Hogs. Thanks for the heads up Deep Shoat!

Kevin

I thought ward was hurt, and could be headed to a medical scholarship
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22