Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Hannahs transferring from Texas Tech

Started by Hawg Red, March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Theoretically, don't you figure his 3 point % would go up with juniors Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley on the court? I would have to think so. Who's the main guy at Tech and is he better than Portis and/or Kingsley figure to be by their junior seasons (assuming both are still here) [rhetorical question -- I know who their main guy is]? It's worth asking yourself if you're worried about this %s.

If someone currently on the team with eligibility remaining leaves, we need to go after this kid. Yes, we're in on some really good guards in the class of 2015, but how many of those guys do you realistically think we're going to get? More than 2? We have two seniors coming up. Boom. Problem solved. Don't worry about 2016. We have 5 spots opening up (assuming one leaves after this season, if not -- we have 6 spots open). The numbers work themselves out. This kid can shoot the ball and his shooting will only get better when/if he's surrounded by better talent like he would be at Arkansas.

The Boar War

We need a true shooter in the worst way.  If this is the guy go get him.

Danny J

Quote from: The Boar War on March 25, 2014, 09:12:11 pm
We need a true shooter in the worst way.  If this is the guy go get him.
No doubt.

Ugly Uncle

You would have to think that IF he chose to come here we would apply for the waver since he is moving home.  MAYBE he could play next year.

My personal opinion is that we have 3 guards and one big man in this current class.  Trey is a bit of a project they tell me.  I would really like to see us get another big man.  Keaton Miles will be playing next year and that will help a little bit.  I would still like to see us get another 6'9 - 6'11 space filler. 

However, if you can get Dusty we should.  Either way I'd be surprised if Wagner were still here next year.
Retired Radio Host

According to his twitter he visited Fayetteville recently.  Of course he has a lot of friends there too.  He would probably be a good fit at UALR too.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I think he has proven himself at this level. I would take him.

Danny J

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 25, 2014, 09:29:18 pm
You would have to think that IF he chose to come here we would apply for the waver since he is moving home.  MAYBE he could play next year.

My personal opinion is that we have 3 guards and one big man in this current class.  Trey is a bit of a project they tell me.  I would really like to see us get another big man.  Keaton Miles will be playing next year and that will help a little bit.  I would still like to see us get another 6'9 - 6'11 space filler. 

However, if you can get Dusty we should.  Either way I'd be surprised if Wagner were still here next year.
Do you see any special circumstances in his specific case in which the NCAA would consider a waiver?

HouseOfHam

He would be a good get if he does not have to sit out a year, if he does I would rather get a juco guard like Purcell that can play immediately.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 10:10:28 pm
Do you see any special circumstances in his specific case in which the NCAA would consider a waiver?

I don't know the situation or him to have any answer to that.  I do know that the NCAA is fickle when it comes to that.  For the strangest reasons they will grant a waver and then for some crazy reason not grant one that should be granted.  The NCAA is just crazy and you never know what they will do.
Retired Radio Host

kingofdequeen

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 25, 2014, 10:32:53 pm
70% of hogville

I don't care what color Hannahs is, the fact is there is 0 chance he is worse than Wagner. Nate Rakestraw was white and was dismissed accordingly b/c he couldn't cut it.

RazorAg

I'm just not sure on Dusty as a prospect.  As info, I've seen him in 8-9 full games over the past two years. Similar to Anthlon. Can really catch fire and score in bunches, but hasn't been consistent and he's limited everywhere else. I wouldn't complain if we landed him, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down either.

Gut says UALR would be a more appropriate place.

RazorAg

Also, with us signing Durham, it would be very, very surprising to me if Dee Wagner remains on this team.

Temprees

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 04:01:57 pm
He'll have to sit out a year.
Maybe not, since the coach that he signed to play for, left.  I believe that the NCAA will start granting more waivers that will result in immediate eligibility for players who seek to transfer, due to the lawsuit that has been filed.  The lawsuit is not about player transfer, but it is an issue on the horizon. 

The problem is that the players are guaranteed one year scholarships, but if they transfer after one year, NCAA rules require the player to sit out one year at his/her new school.  This is akin to the old baseball reserve clause, which bound players to a team beyond the term of the player contract. 

Head Coaches, assistant coaches, ADs, etc are able to break their multi-year contracts and go work at another school immediately.  Totally unfair to the players. 

If players had 4 year guaranteed scholarships, then the "one year sit out rule" for players who transfer would make better sense, since the player would be backing out on a commitment that he made to the school. 

-Blu

I'd actually prefer he sit out a year and learn the system and have an entire season to continue working on his shooting and getting in shape with coach Deets.  It would also put him in a different classification than all these future juniors we currently already have (Bell, Qualls, Durham, Williams, Miles, Wagner).  It would give him an opportunity to play spot minutes his junior year, and if he pans out compete for major minutes and possibly even a starting spot his senior year. 

rude1

We need to upgrade the roster, this would not be an upgrade. We don't need another one dimensional guard, unless he is exceptional at his one dimension. Hannah is not. Would be a good walk on candidate only IMO.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: rude1 on March 25, 2014, 11:04:49 pm
We need to upgrade the roster, this would not be an upgrade. We don't need another one dimensional guard, unless he is exceptional at his one dimension. Hannah is not. Would be a good walk on candidate only IMO.
I'm in favor of adding Hannahs, but still yet this is a good point. We have too many players with one serviceable skill only.

Smithian

Texas Tech fans are shrugging off his transfer. He's a less athletic Bell in my opinion. If he comes here it'll be as decent depth, not much more.

No clue why you all want to run off Wagner. We have Madden, Beard, and Wagner alone coming back at guard and we're adding only two guys. If Beard takes some time to develop (like Madden) and/or Durham has a learning curve like many JUCOs then the Hogs backcourt next season is looking pretty rough. We need to be cheering for Wagner to come back noticeably improved and ready to play a role.

-Blu

Quote from: Smithian on March 25, 2014, 11:15:49 pm
Texas Tech fans are shrugging off his transfer. He's a less athletic Bell in my opinion. If he comes here it'll be as decent depth, not much more.

Don't think anybody saying he's more than that.  Like I said at best he redshirts, plays spot minutes his red-shirt junior year, then with all the guys leaving ahead of him, maybe he pans out to be great shooter by then and becomes a major contributor his senior year.  And that's best case scenario.  Worst case he plays spot minutes and comes in to specializes in helping get teams out of a zone on us, and he's the 11th or 12th man.  You still need guys like that on your team.  Everybody's not going to be a major contributor and play a lot of minutes, doesn't hurt if your 11th or 12man is a shooter.

Nipsey Mussle

No clue why you all want to run off Wagner. We have Madden, Beard, and Wagner alone coming back at guard and we're adding only two guys. If Beard takes some time to develop (like Madden) and/or Durham has a learning curve like many JUCOs then the Hogs backcourt next season is looking pretty rough. We need to be cheering for Wagner to come back noticeably improved and ready to play a role.
I argued with folks last year when they blamed MA for Madden being a bust and I told them to not give up on him yet. However, I can't say I'm willing to do the same for Wagner. There's not just a ton Wagner can control at this point as far as improving. He could improve his jumper but that's about it. He just simply isn't good enough. Kids like Trey Thompson have eons of rooms to improve, not 5'8 guys.

You may be right about Hannahs but I'm not so quick to overlook the fact he shot 37% from 3 compared to Bell's 31%. Those who believe Bell is a terrific outside shooter must be looking to a Magic 8 ball for answers b/c he hasn't consistently showed it to me just yet.

Cresthog

He's got a sick NASCAR name.

I'll take him.

I don't think he's a less athletic Bell, in fact he's better at getting to the rim than is Bell. But I agree they fill the same role on the team.

three hog night

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 25, 2014, 04:17:58 pm
Yeah, Wagner hasn't played much over his first two seasons, but he's also had six guards ahead of him during his time here. Now, only two of those guys remain.

Now that he's among just three guards with any experience playing this style, I'd be surprised if, moving forward, the staff didn't value him far more than they previously have simply for his experience with how this team operates and helping the 5+ new guys coming in.

A good point that we tend to forget.   Wagner is capable of a break out season too.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

CDBHawg

Absolutely no substitute for shooting in basketball. He shoots it well. Sign him up.

Hawg Red

Pretty clear from the onset, by my mention of Spike Albrecht, that this was suggested as nothing more than a depth addition.

The_Iceman

JayBell

If everyone stayed over the next few years, Hannahs would be a senior the year after the next big class graduates.  Qualls, Bell, Miles, Williams, Wagner and Durham will all be juniors next year.  Hannahs would have two years to work his way into the team.

Experienced, smart players and good shooters are very valuable in March.

Lanny

Pure Shooter, I've seen Dusty play and would like to see Dusty in a Razorback uniform
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

YouCrawl_IQuall

Quote from: mclyte on March 26, 2014, 09:08:49 am
Although he's a great shooter, unfortunately he's a liability on defense.

Can't be anymore of a liability then Haydar

Hawg Red

Quote from: mclyte on March 26, 2014, 09:08:49 am
Although he's a great shooter, unfortunately he's a liability on defense.

So was Kikko most of the time. He'd be playing minutes similar to Kikko, I'd imagine.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 06:18:12 pm
And FWIW on another board, it's a guy saying he's close to the Hannah family and Arkansas is his first choice.  So, we'll see if that's true and if there is mutual interest.

I hope not. Too many blue chips out there to settle. The practice facility could be ready in 2015. This is a big development for the basketball program and we need to leverage that advantage into getting our top targets to sign on the dotted line. This is no time to go for role players. Its not like we're a Kansas who can afford to wait on a guy like Mickelson to develop. We aren't there yet.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2014, 09:24:09 am
I hope not. Too many blue chips out there to settle. The practice facility could be ready in 2015. This is a big development for the basketball program and we need to leverage that advantage into getting our top targets to sign on the dotted line. This is no time to go for role players. Its not like we're a Kansas who can afford to wait on a guy like Mickelson to develop. We aren't there yet.

Someone would have to leave for Dusty to come aboard. If no one leaves and we don't get Dusty, the scholarship situation is still the same. Swapping Dusty for someone on the team doesn't keep us from losing out on any blue-chippers.

We always aren't in the position to demand only blue-chippers. Like I asked earlier in the thread, how many elite guards do you think we'll realistically get for the 2015 class having only gone to the 2nd round of NIT this season? Honestly.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2014, 09:35:06 am
We always aren't in the position to demand only blue-chippers. Like I asked earlier in the thread, how many elite guards do you think we'll realistically get for the 2015 class having only gone to the 2nd round of NIT this season? Honestly.

Let's swing for the fences. No guts, no glory. Dusty can walk-on. If we miss on our top targets, Dusty gets the scholly.
Hogs up! Covid down!

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2014, 09:35:06 am
Someone would have to leave for Dusty to come aboard. If no one leaves and we don't get Dusty, the scholarship situation is still the same. Swapping Dusty for someone on the team doesn't keep us from losing out on any blue-chippers.

I think we get 2 out of 3 between Whitt, McClure, and Allen.  I think we currently have the best shot at Whitt, and I've heard so many different things on McClure and Allen, but I ultimately think we'll probably get Allen. 

But to get back on subject, your right, getting Hannahs doesn't hurt anything at all.  If a guy like Wagner leaves, he takes his scholarship.  And people need to remember you can only have so many key players.  While Anderson does play 11 or 12 guys, you don't need 11 or 12 guys that are 4 and 5 star recruits.  Nothing wrong with that 11th man to be blue chipper that specializes in shooting.

The_Bionic_Pig

Your not going to lose a opportunity to sign any 2015 recruits in order to add him so I see no reason why not.  His value will be utilized when 99% of our opponents are playing zone and Anton or Jabril are having a heck of a time penetrating the zone to dish the ball.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2014, 09:46:44 am
Let's swing for the fences. No guts, no glory. Dusty can walk-on. If we miss on our top targets, Dusty gets the scholly.

I'm confused who do you guys think we are missing out on if Dusty gets a scholarship?  You realize we have 13 scholarships right?  And usually only 11, 12 at the most are going to play.  You think Hannah getting a guy like Wagner's scholarship is going to some how affect us getting a guard in 2015?  I highly doubt King McClure says "Welp, can't sign with Arkansas they signed Dusty Hannahs".

If you guys are somehow thinking we are going to bring in 3 or 4 guys that are 4 and 5 star recruits in the 2015 class, you might as well get disappointed now and get it out your system.  I can almost assure you we will only get 2 at the most of the "elite" level guards we are recruiting.  We don't even have room/playing time for more than that.  We'll still have Beard, Bell, Durham, and Babb all still on scholarship.  That's why a guy like Hannahs make sense, because he can be that 11th or 12th guy that provides a need of shooting, we don't need a superstar to be that guy.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 09:58:15 am
I'm confused who do you guys think we are missing out on if Dusty gets a scholarship?  You realize we have 13 scholarships right?  And usually only 11, 12 at the most are going to play.  You think Hannah getting a guy like Wagner's scholarship is going to some how affect us getting a guard in 2015?  I highly doubt King McClure says "Welp, can't sign with Arkansas they signed Dusty Hannahs".

If you guys are somehow thinking we are going to bring in 3 or 4 guys that are 4 and 5 star recruits in the 2015 class, you might as well get disappointed now and get it out your system.  I can almost assure you we will only get 2 at the most of the "elite" level guards we are recruiting.  We don't even have room/playing time for more than that.  We'll still have Beard, Bell, Durham, and Babb all still on scholarship.  That's why a guy like Hannahs make sense, because he can be that 11th or 12th guy that provides a need of shooting, we don't need a superstar to be that guy.

We need to be looking at a replacement for Portis for next year or the year after. No need to wait until he gets high enough up the draft board to start scrambling. We also need a skilled swingman or two. Not just about getting strictly perimeter players.
Hogs up! Covid down!

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 04:18:40 pm
That would actually be a good pickup.  I would love to see the staff reach out and make this happen.  Especially if a guy transfers.

I like Hannah ; however, there is much better talent the next couple of years out there. Would love to have him as a walkon.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 09:49:59 am
But to get back on subject, your right, getting Hannahs doesn't hurt anything at all.  If a guy like Wagner leaves, he takes his scholarship.  And people need to remember you can only have so many key players.  While Anderson does play 11 or 12 guys, you don't need 11 or 12 guys that are 4 and 5 star recruits.  Nothing wrong with that 11th man to be blue chipper that specializes in shooting.

That's assuming that Hannahs wants to transfer to a program where he'd be the '11th or 12th guy.'

Considering that Arkansas essentially only goes nine deep, being the '11th or 12th guy' as a junior may not be all that exciting of a prospect.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mhuff

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2014, 10:05:52 am
We need to be looking at a replacement for Portis for next year or the year after. No need to wait until he gets high enough up the draft board to start scrambling. We also need a skilled swingman or two. Not just about getting strictly perimeter players.

+1

The Hogfather

Can basketball players split scholarships?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 10:11:36 am
Can basketball players split scholarships?

Since baseball can, I would think so. Although it's probably not a good recruiting tool.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 10:12:06 am
Since baseball can, I would think so. Although it's probably not a good recruiting tool.

I was just curious.  It would be better than cutting Wagner completely or offering Hannahs a walk-on spot.  We could give each of them 1/2 of a scholly.  :)

urkillnmesmalls

In MA's system, I don't care who you are, if you can't hack it on defense, you are going to be a "spot" player.  I could see Hannahs coming in if a team zones us, or if we're in need of someone who can extend the defense and force them to defend the 3 pt. line.  But...I would have to see him in action to see if he can play defense for MA. 

As someone else suggested, I don't know all of his reasons for transferring, but if one of them is to contribute more, then there's a small likelihood that he would come here and be anymore than a spot role player.  But...maybe that's what he's looking for. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 10:16:23 am
I was just curious.  It would be better than cutting Wagner completely or offering Hannahs a walk-on spot.  We could give each of them 1/2 of a scholly.  :)

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:14:35 am
i don't think they can

I looked it up, and Kevin is right. The NCAA mandates that three division I sports must provide full scholarships for a specific number of roster spots in order to maintain their D-I classification: football (85), men's basketball (13) and women's basketball (15). No other sports have such requirements.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 10:21:44 am
I looked it up, and Kevin is right. The NCAA mandates that three division I sports must provide full scholarships for a specific number of roster spots in order to maintain their D-I classification: football (85), men’s basketball (13) and women’s basketball (15). No other sports have such requirements.

Well, darn.  There goes my idea.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 10:31:51 am
Well, darn.  There goes my idea.
Don't feel bad. I had an idea once.  It died of loneliness.  :'(

LA Football fan

The obvious thing everyone is overlooking is his 92% free throw percentage.  How many games did we lose because we didn't have a dependable free throw shooter at the end of the game?  If all we did was play him at the end of a close game and force teams to foul him, we would be light years ahead of who we have to depend on right now to make some free throws in crunch time.

The Hogfather

He shot 65 FTs all year.  He doesn't get to the line.

We aren't going to tie up a scholarship to put him in close games at the end.