Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1190 The Fan

Started by GrantMerrill, April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrantMerrill

I've just taken over as sales manager (among some other things) for 1190 The Fan in NWA...  We are looking at rapidly expanding our programming to align more with the Razorback Nation, and to cover more high school sports.

I know the signal is an issue for many. We're making the best of what we have right now, but are working toward making some major improvements in the near future. With that said, what would you like to see out of your sports station in NWA?

Outside of our advertisers, Hogville is the first place I turn to get opinions... it is one of the most powerful sports outlets in Arkansas these days!

Also, feel free to call me at (479) 582-3776 during the week if you would like to visit by phone.

Thanks for your input...

moondog

Grant, thought you were calling Gurdon games for a station in Arkadelphia. Thought the G-Devils might do something in the playoffs last year, but like usually didn't. Play their super bowl every year against Prescott.

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: GrantMerrill on April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm
I've just taken over as sales manager (among some other things) for 1190 The Fan in NWA...  We are looking at rapidly expanding our programming to align more with the Razorback Nation, and to cover more high school sports.

I know the signal is an issue for many. We're making the best of what we have right now, but are working toward making some major improvements in the near future. With that said, what would you like to see out of your sports station in NWA?

Outside of our advertisers, Hogville is the first place I turn to get opinions... it is one of the most powerful sports outlets in Arkansas these days!

Also, feel free to call me at (479) 582-3776 during the week if you would like to visit by phone.

Thanks for your input...

I've quit listening to 1190 due to the signal problems. What programming do they have now? Do they carry Wally and Shawn's show? If not, I'd like that one.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

GrantMerrill

April 19, 2008, 03:57:17 pm #3 Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:01:45 pm by GrantMerrill
Quote from: moondog on April 19, 2008, 03:52:46 pm
Grant, thought you were calling Gurdon games for a station in Arkadelphia. Thought the G-Devils might do something in the playoffs last year, but like usually didn't. Play their super bowl every year against Prescott.

I was general manager of the stations in Arkadelphia for the past year, but my wife is about to enter law school so we have moved to Fayetteville. Had a lot of fun with those Go-Devils...

Quote from: ArkieRebel on April 19, 2008, 03:55:25 pm
I've quit listening to 1190 due to the signal problems. What programming do they have now? Do they carry Wally and Shawn's show? If not, I'd like that one.

We have:

7:00 AM - 9:00 AM      Press Row (Grant Hall, Vernon Tarver)
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM      ESPN Radio (Other changes coming very soon if all holds together)
4:00 PM - 7:00 PM      Drive Time Sports

ESPN Radio the rest of the time.

Shawn and Wally have a great show. I would like to have it in NWA as well. We'll see what happens!

farmhawg

Welcome to NWA!

See if you can get Vernon to quit interrupting when Grant or others are talking. That is very annoying. Sounds like you already know about the signal but thanks for asking.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: farmhawg on April 19, 2008, 04:11:59 pm
Welcome to NWA!

See if you can get Vernon to quit interrupting when Grant or others are talking. That is very annoying. Sounds like you already know about the signal but thanks for asking.

Man, did you call that play, Chuck brotha!  Vernon doesn't know dookie but he will interrupt every single time.  Weak signal and the internet stream stinks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Russ22

I have tried to find the internet stream, but have been unsuccessful.  Could you point me to it?

TIA
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Russ22 on April 19, 2008, 04:46:27 pm
I have tried to find the internet stream, but have been unsuccessful.  Could you point me to it?

TIA

Upper left corner of this page.  Sports Hog.
We don't rent pigs

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: farmhawg on April 19, 2008, 04:11:59 pm
Welcome to NWA!

I agree.. If the fletch wants to run his yap, Put him on a Landers commerical, They never shut up like him.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Buck Ocean

I've been listening to Press Row since 2001.  The hosts have personalities.  If Vernon interupts Grant then its his business.  Its their show.  I think its great.  I dont like the StLouis Cardinal bias, but the show is what it is.

Drive Time blows.

ESPN Programming all together blows.  I dont find one show interesting.  Every opinion is the same.  Every show the procedes throughout the day just duplicates the prior show's theme.

I turn on the dial at 7 and turn it off at 9.  AM. 

Think like a Jedi

hawgfan80

I enjoy Press Row. There are times it is slightly unprofessional, but all in all, I like it.

I might be the only one that likes to listen to Colin Cowherd, but I hope that show doesn't go anywhere.

I agree that Drive Time sucks.

Can we get some new commercials? If I'm driving, I change the channel every time there is a break b/c most of those ads are annoying.

MJ4H

I used to work for 1190 AM when it was a different format.  Was my weekend/college job.  Office was in Bentonville and was the same studio as 93.3 at the time.  Both stations are now different formats, of course.

ballhog™

Please tell the guys on Press Row to talk about something other than golf or women's basketball...I have gotten to the point that I just turn it when those subjects come up because they don't just mention it, they drag it on...I don't care if it's a weak signal or not, why must I be punished for getting the signal at 7:00 and have to listen to those noninteresting subjects

I used to really enjoy Press Row...I would drive slower to work so I could listen to it longer...but it has really gone downhill.

It's nothing personal, but if you want my opinion of the station and the show, that's it.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Wayne Watson

It's sad when I get to the office I go to www.theticket.com out of Dallas because Arkansas sports radio sucks .
We don't rent pigs

intoxhog

You guys need to get The Hogville cafe on as well for a mid-day program. Jay Jones is the man.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Rockhawg

Put Mike Irwin back on Press Row ! I quit listening about 4 months ago. I think Grant could use a different sidekick.
DTS could be decent again now that TCTWF is gone. Rick is really wearing thin on most folks that i talk to.
A show about Arkansas High School Sports would be a great idea.

Franchise Hawgs

Press Row is horrible now. I can't even stand to turn it in. I've never been a big fan of Grant Hall and Vernon isn't very good either. Mike back would be good or find some new blood. The Hogville Cafe would be a nice addition and if it gets rid of Stephen A Smith's show then I'm all for it. I do like Cowherd's show very much.

Bo's show is so far ahead of DTS now, so I believe you would need something to compete in that time slot. Bo has interesting guests on and not the same old every single time.

woodhog14

Quote from: GrantMerrill on April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm

Thanks for your input...

I'm sure you've heard this many times, but the best improvement is AN FM STATION!

101st Hogborne

Quote from: Rockhawg on April 19, 2008, 06:48:38 pm
Put Mike Irwin back on Press Row ! I quit listening about 4 months ago. I think Grant could use a different sidekick.
DTS could be decent again now that TCTWF is gone. Rick is really wearing thin on most folks that i talk to.

I agree 100%; do whatever it takes to get Mike back on the program. Now, that HDN is gone, KFSM should let him return. Also......
> Have guests every now and then. The few days with Tony Bua was awesome! In fact, add Tony Bua as the other host with Mike Irwin! That would be a show, people would listen too.
> Either replace Miguel or spend the money to have someone there everyday. Is he part time?
> Buy new control equipment. There's nothing more embarassing than having Vern on the board and not able to take calls. Two days out of every week, the Mike and Mike show has to play cuz someone can't figure out how to get the show transmitting. Sometimes, it honestly sounds like two Joe's are producing the show from their garage! I think about all the people in NWA visiting on business and looking for morning sports talk and this is the best we have.
> Kill the obsession with women's basketball and golf. Nobody gives two cents about either.
> Buy KURM or some dwindling FM station and put the format on FM so we can get it on the dial at all hours.
> Finally ditch Drivetime Sports!!!!!! Let Central Arkansas have'em!

Other than that, everything's great!

hawgwilde

Quote from: 101st Hogborne on April 19, 2008, 07:15:42 pm
I agree 100%; do whatever it takes to get Mike back on the program. Now, that HDN is gone, KFSM should let him return. Also......
> Have guests every now and then. The few days with Tony Bua was awesome! In fact, add Tony Bua as the other host with Mike Irwin! That would be a show, people would listen too.
> Either replace Miguel or spend the money to have someone there everyday. Is he part time?
> Buy new control equipment. There's nothing more embarassing than having Vern on the board and not able to take calls. Two days out of every week, the Mike and Mike show has to play cuz someone can't figure out how to get the show transmitting. Sometimes, it honestly sounds like two Joe's are producing the show from their garage! I think about all the people in NWA visiting on business and looking for morning sports talk and this is the best we have.
> Kill the obsession with women's basketball and golf. Nobody gives two cents about either.
> Buy KURM or some dwindling FM station and put the format on FM so we can get it on the dial at all hours.
> Finally ditch Drivetime Sports!!!!!! Let Central Arkansas have'em!

Other than that, everything's great!

I agree.  And what about adding a chance for fans to guest host 2 or 3 days a week?
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

opineonswine

Quote from: GrantMerrill on April 19, 2008, 03:57:17 pm

I was general manager of the stations in Arkadelphia for the past year, but my wife is about to enter law school so we have moved to Fayetteville. Had a lot of fun with those Go-Devils...

We have:

7:00 AM - 9:00 AM      Press Row (Grant Hall, Vernon Tarver)
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM      ESPN Radio (Other changes coming very soon if all holds together)
4:00 PM - 7:00 PM      Drive Time Sports

ESPN Radio the rest of the time.

Shawn and Wally have a great show. I would like to have it in NWA as well. We'll see what happens!

If you want to impress the audiences from day one...get Shawn and Wally!  We DESPERATELY need an afternoon talk show we can stomach.

opineonswine

Quote from: Rockhawg on April 19, 2008, 06:48:38 pm

DTS is primarily a central Arkansas show.  Drop it for Shawn and Wally...NOW.  Please.

opineonswine

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on April 19, 2008, 07:02:15 pm
Press Row is horrible now. I can't even stand to turn it in. I've never been a big fan of Grant Hall and Vernon isn't very good either. Mike back would be good or find some new blood. The Hogville Cafe would be a nice addition and if it gets rid of Stephen A Smith's show then I'm all for it. I do like Cowherd's show very much.

Bo's show is so far ahead of DTS now, so I believe you would need something to compete in that time slot. Bo has interesting guests on and not the same old every single time.

I tried to stick with Press Row after Mike left but just can't listen.  It's awful.

intoxhog

Quote from: opineonswine on April 19, 2008, 09:36:27 pm
DTS is primarily a central Arkansas show.  Drop it for Shawn and Wally...NOW.  Please.
Ditto

And press row (the audio golf channel) sucks without Mike!!!!!
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

WordToYourLlama

Can you get Steven A Smith off of ESPN?

lol

ComeonHogs!!!

1. people want to hear about the hogs!. local high school not so much.

2. the host don't seem to realize they have a new audience about every 20 min. I can't tell you how many times i would tune in on monday morning at 7:40 or so and they would say, well we talked about footbal what else is happening(insert women whatever or golf)

3. bring mike back

4. Afternoon sucks but to me bo is worse.

5. Did i say talk about hogs.. football, basketball, This is spring football show should be full of it now..

Good luck
State Pride!!!

Quite Frankly

If you lose Cowherd, you lose me.

linze82

cowherd rocks. Everything else is iffy
smite me bishes

FaytownHog

i listen to press row, and collin cowherd. we DEFINANTLY need an afternoon hogs sports show. listening to the mike terrico show makes me want to jam a fork into my retna! and then you have one hour of steve and one hour of sports nation, so they repeat the same info back to back to back to back to back. i listen to it at work, so i'm there all day, but come afternoons i turn it off till drive time, or actually here lately it's been bo, bc he's been quite abit more relevant. just sayin. my 2 cents!

FaytownHog

agreed! dudes hillarious, and he doesn't sit around talking about box scores all day, it's great, whether right or wrong, he's always entertaining!
Quote from: Quite Frankly on April 19, 2008, 10:52:40 pm
If you lose Cowherd, you lose me.

Kilgor

Quote from: opineonswine on April 19, 2008, 09:37:32 pm
I tried to stick with Press Row after Mike left but just can't listen.  It's awful.

This is the truth.  Mike made that show worth listening to.  Grant is a snooze. 

Golf = low ratings.  Razorbacks = high ratings.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Tferm24

I listen to 1190 almost everyday for the past two or three years.  I really enjoy you NWA coverage but I wish there was much more of it. Press Row is a always great, but Im time and time again unimpressed with drive time and the R mafia, I think it would be nice If you could get Bo to come over with his show during the day time, preferably after Colin Cowherd.  Glad to hear that you have a lot of initiative, thankyou for reaching out to the actual listners of your station.i

mesteve323

Not Arkansas high school sports... NWA high school sports but limited... Razorbacks will sell, Some Naturals, your selling ads for NWA market  make it NWA station. I used to love Dan Patrick, Herd is OK, Doesn't Patrick do something now? And Finally We all hope you can bring in more advertisers so we don't have to listen to those same annoying commercials over and over and over!! I'm with dude, I'll turn it down or change the channel.

Seconds

PR was 3x better with Irwin, even if I don't like the guy. At least he talked about football and basketball. As far as DTS..........er...........The Rib Crib Show-that thing is shite in your shorts turrribllle! As for Arnell and Hall, I really have no opinion as I have not listened to them on a regular basis. You do need to be on FM. AM just sucks. And keep Cowherd-dude rocks.
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

IronMountainHog

First have a advertising expert review the ad's that either 1190 produces or allows their clients to record. I turn the station everytime I hear the following 20 times a day.

I'm Tim Stanley. I eat 3 eggs every day at the Bowling Pin. I've never heard Travis say "Tim, why don't you go buy yourself a chicken".

Or "Rent a apartmentment from Sweetser Properties" "Gosh"

Or "This here is Junior Clantin, I'll give you a shiner that will land 747's"    "I'm coming down there and gonna tear you up
like a old mans stomach at a chilli cookoff."

Just my 2 cents as a consumer. I know ad's are the lifeblood of any station, you might want to have veto power or let professionals record them. Before anyone smites me. I have recorded radio ad's twice and no it is not that difficult.

rcowen

Hey grant.

Drop DTS and keep cowherd.

bobbybouchet

Grant, you are probably sorry you asked now.  You get some pretty blunt responses here.  To keep things on a positive note, I am glad we have a Sports station here.  I appreciate Vernon and Grant for doing the morning show...at least I have an alternative to Mike and Mike who get on my nerves.  I love Cowherd, best show of the day.  I would say you could easily increase ratings by putting on a local show in the place of Mike Tirico or definitely in the place of Stephen A. Smith.  Although I would prefer one of the other shows besides DTS, I am glad we have it as opposed to nationwide programming.  Good luck with your decisions Grant.

Hog_One_Stop

Grant get a signal that you can pick up.  Talk hogs not golf

Jim

I've commented numerous times about 1190.

Scroll down and I've offered my opinion 2x in this thread.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=166272.msg2593642#msg2593642

Here's another one:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=169286.msg2627709#msg2627709

I don't even try to listen anymore though.  Too many bad signal days, way too many poorly produced ads (ie: TDS), tired and worn out shows (ie: Tirico although I know that's not your call) and an afternoon lineup that has little to no relevancy and receivership for NWA.

I don't know when he's going to be back on the air but I'd love to be able to hear Tony Bruno in some way.  I know he just left XM a few months ago and perhaps he's waiting out his "no compete" but I always liked his "delivery" and wit.  I'm not nearly as big of a Tony Kornheiser fan as I used to be.  For once, I do believe his show really does stink.  He's stint on XM has really worn thin on me.

Dan Patrick would be great but he's only doing 2 measly hours on XM.  Too bad someone like Fox Sports doesn't hire him away for a good 4 hour show.

As I've mentioned, there's so many suggestions but I'm not sure how much pull you have as sales manager.  I'd probably do better to just give you a ring sometime but you probably don't want some slack-jawed yokel ringing you with nothing better to do.  :)

Good luck with the new endeavors.

GrantMerrill

I'm not sorry I asked, I really do appreciate the feedback. I knew I would get honest opinions on this forum especially!

razorgary

Reception problems in Rogers some times is terrible. Something for sure needs to be upgraded.

Sao Ming

Grant, here is your homework.   www.theticket.com

Now go out and dominate.

SiriusHog™

everyone just get Sirius and be done with old fashioned radio!  ;)

George S. Pigton

I like Press Row, wouldn't mind to have Mike back on.
Keep Cowherd, he talks college football and I think he brings a good
perspective to sports.

Go with more local programing from noon to four, the ESPN guys in those
slots suck.  If you can find some interesting personalities, people will listen
and you could send it down to LRK for folks down there to purchase.

I do not listen to DTS, would like to have the Wally Show on in that time.
DTS on Friday's is impossible to listen to.  There it is the friday before an
SEC game and those dolts are talking about Fordyce playing Ashdown,
nobody cares and they change the station.

I would not focus more on high school sports around here.  I think if you just
kept it to sports in general with some occasional high school talk that is fine,
just don't focus on it.

Lastly, the signal has to be improved, otherwise, no need to spend any time
and money changing the format.  You can't hear it half the time so I switch
to my sat. radio.

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

SwinedMelon

I TURN THE CHANNEL EVERY TIME I HEAR A STOOPID COMMERCIAL.

I mean really- why run a commercial if its going to make me turn the channel? If you are going to make a commercial, make one that is not annoying. Don't say the advertiser's name 100 times... thats called SPAMMING! Also, don't run the AME AD for more than 3 months... I keep hearing the SAME ADS I heard 3 years ago, and what do I do? I change the channel! PEOPLE HATE STOOPID ADS... I will listen all the way through a commercial break if the ads are at least entertaining- NOT annoying.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

The Nerdery

I agree with the awful ads.

I'm a fan of Colin, but also a fan of Tirico.  They have great guests.  Stephen A. Smith is off the air already.  Just do what most ESPN radio stations do.  Have Cowherd and Tirico on, then at 2pm, have something local.

ESPNRadio is the only thing that gets me through the day, but I wouldn't be able to handle having all local sports.  I need some national variety.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Sao Ming on April 20, 2008, 06:55:29 pm
Grant, here is your homework.   www.theticket.com

Now go out and dominate.

With some practice, Vernon could be as good as the Great Gordo!   :D
We don't rent pigs

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

When I lived up there last it was Irwin and Arnell.  They did a good show.  Crazy dave was also in the studio a lot.  I was a frequent caller and occasional visitor to the studio.  I called myself the voice of reason..lol   Before I moved to TX Crazy Dave just vanished.  I couldn't reach him by cell anymore either.  I always liked Shawn and Mike.  Wally I can take or leave.
Let's make some waves.

retired-rambler

Wow you talk about comments.  I am with mostof them, Cowheard is the best on ESPN and Smith is the worst.  Since Mike left I listen very little to Press Row, Grant would do as a 2nd but VT just doesn't have the radio personality to make the show interesting.  When Mike & Bo was on did not get anything done between 7 and 9 cause I didn't want to miss anything.

Jim

Here's another bit of feedback I have.

I know that local stations have little to no control over the nat'l syndicated shows but how/why in the world do we have to suffer through 6 minute stopsets?  I agree that we need advertisers to help pay our bills (the station's) and to generate some sort of revenue but if your aim/goal is to attract listeners (ie: customers) to an advertiser's business, you're not going to do anyone much good if you are forced to hear their "message" at the 4:30 mark of a 6 min break.

Compounded with this are the national spots that you are forced to run.  I don't know all the loopholes you may have at your disposal to "dump" some of these irrelevant spots like all these mortgage companies and Evercleanse.com but even on XM they have grown bothersome and become a MAJOR tune-out factor.  In fact, I'm less willing to sit through XM's long spot breaks even if I know Dan Patrick is having Reggie Miller up next.  They've got great chemistry together and I really enjoy hearing them banter at each other but the amount of spots that are played, the quality of those spots and the sheer repetition of those spots ad naseum does more harm for the advertiser than good.

I know you're aware of the disdain on here about the Total Document spots and the Sweetser Apartments w/Napoleon Dynamite.  I was a radio programmer for several years and we came to realize that if a client's message was bad OR a tune-out factor, we had the responsibility to let them know they could be doing more harm to their cause than good. 

I firmly believe it's time to tell Tim Stanley that he needs to become "laser beam focused" on his business and stay off the air.  He may be a good guy and all but his message and presentation do not cause people to look upon TDS in a favorable light.

Same thing with the Sweetser Properties spots.  How long until these ads get freshened up?  They are beyond being burnt.  They're just ashen whispers that not only clog the airwaves but make many listeners hit the "off/seek/scan" button.  The risk of said listener not coming back in lieu of a different, more appealing station just became a reality.

We used to program stations with the 3M's...music, mornings and marketing.  It was kind of like the holy trinity of broadcasting.  If any of the 3, however, were out of whack, the whole station became off balance.  How does 1190 stack up today in the mind of the listener when measured by the 3 M's?

Here's my take.

Music:  OK, there's no music on 1190 so let's substitute it with "main course".  The "main course" of 1190 is sports talk radio.  How does the content of STR sound?  Locally produced shows are awful.  I'm not trying to be mean but you've read the comments on here about Grant & Vernon's show and I've often said how it sounds unfocused, congested, tired and the same 3 callers are on nearly every day.  Oh yeah...it's also very irrelevant at times.  If your main demo is a male 25-54 or even 18-49, I'd guess a vast majority of them could care less about women's "gawf".  Someone really needs to be a "coach" to these guys and get them to sounding much better...and I'm not just talking about the same boring sweepers and top of the hour ID's either.

The afternoon shows are, as someone already stated, more central Arkansas focused (since they originate there from the Rock) and just plain dull.  I'm not trying to sound like Simon Cowell here but the tandem of Randy & Rick (when you can pick them up) just sounds like it's one big private conversation that we just happen to be able to hear.  It'd be much harder to coach these guys to be more NWA focused since they are in LR (well, except Rick) but perhaps the already suggested show with Wally & Shawn might be a better option.

The national segment of 1190 (10a-4p) isn't bad.  I know there are some Colin lovers and haters but overall, even when he comes down on Arkansas, he's usually got some valid points to back things up.  I'm not a big fan of Tirico and Van Pelt but I suppose as far as "safe" goes, they're OK.  I don't know if they are worthy of a big billboard off 540 but if it's all ESPN is offering right now and you're wanting to stick with Bristol U, that's all we've got.

Mornings:  See my above rant about Press Row.  I had an ops mgr once tell me that morning drive was your locomotive for the day.  If you don't get out of the terminal with the morning show you've got, the rest of your station lineup gets left behind as well.  There needs to be a VERY strong local morning product if you don't intend to just simulcast Mike & Mike.

Right now, Press Row is anything but strong.

Marketing:  Ummm, what marketing?  I am guessing that the promotional $$$ and budget aren't there so I understand if there aren't billboards and TV spots airing right now.  However, I don't know why a station van (or someone's personal SUV with station logo magnets on it) isn't parked out in front of Razorback and Naturals games/events.  That's one of the easiest, TOMA (top of mind awareness) things you could do...and there's very little cost in doing it.  It doesn't even have to be a full-blown live remote.  Just park the van in a high traffic area that makes sense (in front of the ladies' dept at Dillard's ain't gonna cut it) and at least let that "eye candy" begin to work it's way into the mind of the P2's and P3's.

I know the road ahead of you has got to be daunting and challenges abound.  I've been there before and hated it.  However, when these things start to fall in place and your luck begins to turn, you'll look back on these "tough times" and find some sort of solace in knowing it was worth the initial pain.

1190 has an ENORMOUS amount of potential.  Perhaps a move to the FM freq might be in the cards?  I would hope so as the signal issue seems to be a HUGE strike with most listeners.  Again, good luck with things and please stop in more often.  I know of lot of us would love to give you more positive feedback (and it will come) but right now we're just airing things out in hopes of a better station.