Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Arkansas the Michigan State of the SEC?

Started by Bacon_Bitz, July 25, 2016, 11:16:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: 010HogFan on July 26, 2016, 10:23:21 am
That's fine, but you're ignoring the main point of my post. When is the last time you have seen Illinois or Minnesota in a big game with something actually on the line. Primetime can't miss TV? on any network? When's the last time you have seen Sportscenter run a segment on either one of these teams? They aren't relevant.

In 2014 Minnesota was 8-3 overall, 5-2 in the Big Ten, and ranked #18 when they played Wisconsin in late November.  Wisconsin was 9-2 and 5-1 so if Minnesota had come out on top they would have won the tiebreaker and played in the Big Ten Championship Game.  That's the last time they played a big game with something on the line.

When was the last time we played a big game with something on the line?  LSU in 2011, or the Cotton Bowl a month later?

lumphog

HogBreath

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 25, 2016, 11:30:07 am
No

Michigan St. is upper tier.

We're middle of the pack.

We're closer to an "Illinois" or "Minnesota" type of program.  Really, really good 1 or 2 years out of every 10-15 years, and then hovering somewhere around 5-8 wins the others.

Should be a goal of ours but we're not anywhere near Mich St.
You didn't know about games against Bama did you?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogcard1964

Quote from: lumphog on July 26, 2016, 02:50:14 pm
NO....he's NOT!!!

I think I am.  I should have probably used Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois or Iowa, as opposed to just Minnesota and Illinois, but there's still virtually no difference in all of those programs.  At best we're a middle of the pack SEC team and those teams are also middle of the pack Big 10 teams.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 27, 2016, 08:05:43 am
I think I am.  I should have probably used Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois or Iowa, as opposed to just Minnesota and Illinois, but there's still virtually no difference in all of those programs.  At best we're a middle of the pack SEC team and those teams are also middle of the pack Big 10 teams.

Ok, yeah, as of now.  Just like Michigan St was a middle of the pack Big 10 team before Dantonio built the program.  My point was that Arkansas could become like Michigan St in the Big 10 and build a championship caliber team through a slow rebuild that relies on player development rather than over-the-top recruiting. 

It's sad that this thread can't move beyond basic us v. them comparisons with other Big 10 teams.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 27, 2016, 08:36:45 am
Ok, yeah, as of now.  Just like Michigan St was a middle of the pack Big 10 team before Dantonio built the program.  My point was that Arkansas could become like Michigan St in the Big 10 and build a championship caliber team through a slow rebuild that relies on player development rather than over-the-top recruiting. 

What exactly is over the top recruiting?  Are you saying that it's a negative to sign much coveted and highly rated recruits?

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 27, 2016, 09:25:09 am
What exactly is over the top recruiting?  Are you saying that it's a negative to sign much coveted and highly rated recruits?

No, of course it's a positive to sign highly rated recruits.  But Arkansas is never going to do that at a top 10 level w/o the well-established boosters of Bama, access to in-state talent of LSU or A&M, or sketchy tactics of Ole Miss & Auburn.  Arkansas recruiting is what it is and has been for years - about the same as Michigan State recruiting.  Sparty has had a very slight bump in recent years but that really came after their first few really successful seasons.  CBB is trying to pull off a similar blueprint here.  I think he'll do it.  Maybe he will or maybe he won't.  But Arkansas, like Sparty, is never going to be enough of a destination for enough elite recruits to bring in top 10 recruiting classes.  That's just the facts.

scorekeeper

It could happen. The luster of Bama will likely go down some once Saban calls it a career and LSU is just one really bad coaching hire away from being very average. I believe we are trending up if we have some longevity among the key players of our coaching staff we will be okay.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: scorekeeper on July 27, 2016, 09:36:57 am
It could happen. The luster of Bama will likely go down some once Saban calls it a career and LSU is just one really bad coaching hire away from being very average. I believe we are trending up if we have some longevity among the key players of our coaching staff we will be okay.

Yes, it's worth noting that while Ohio State has been consistently good (except for the Fickel year) during Michigan State's rise, Dantonio no doubt benefited from the Rich Rod-Brady Hoke era at Michigan and Penn St's lean years since the scandal.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 27, 2016, 08:36:45 am

It's sad that this thread can't move beyond basic us v. them comparisons with other Big 10 teams.

Agreed