Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Greatest College Football Player From Every State

Started by hogcard1964, April 18, 2017, 07:40:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrove68

Quote from: mizzouman on April 19, 2017, 10:54:14 am
Played at Mizzou but from ESTL, Illinois.  May have been born Missouri, not sure.  I know he played high school ball at ESTL. 

Anyway, depends on the question.  Sims was a Heisman winner and born in STL but moved to Texas in the 9th grade.

Hard to say Winslow, as great as he was in college, was better than a Heisman winner.

I guess I was looking at it as a total career....Winlsow was a lot better NFL guy than Sims
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

mizzouman

Quote from: TheGrove68 on April 20, 2017, 02:53:42 am
I guess I was looking at it as a total career....Winlsow was a lot better NFL guy than Sims
True but the OP was asking about College players not NFL.  Winslow was great but Simms won the Heisman.

Hardcore Hoggy

mizzouman

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 20, 2017, 09:57:19 am
no votes for Steve Atwater from MO?

Hell of a player but did not win the Heisman.  Gary Anderson, another great player from MO that played at UA.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: mizzouman on April 20, 2017, 10:17:54 am
Hell of a player but did not win the Heisman.  Gary Anderson, another great player from MO that played at UA.

No he didn't win the Heisman , but he was a 2 time AA and had a fantastic college career.

Not to mention the NFL.

That's pretty legit.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 20, 2017, 10:57:46 am
No he didn't win the Heisman , but he was a 2 time AA and had a fantastic college career.

Not to mention the NFL.

That's pretty legit.

Yea, I loved his running style.  He had blazing speed. He's one of the greats from Arkansas that's really under appreciated.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 20, 2017, 10:57:46 am

Not to mention the NFL.

That's pretty legit.

This is true.  Winslow was one hell of a player.  But, what Billy Sims did in college is hard to beat.

mizzouman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 20, 2017, 11:27:55 am
Yea, I loved his running style.  He had blazing speed. He's one of the greats from Arkansas that's really under appreciated.
I think he was referring to Winslow not Anderson.  I remember Anderson at Hickman High.  Man, dude can run.

hogcard1964

Quote from: mizzouman on April 20, 2017, 12:12:54 pm
I think he was referring to Winslow not Anderson.  I remember Anderson at Hickman High.  Man, dude can run.

Ooop...sorry.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: mizzouman on April 20, 2017, 12:12:54 pm

No , I was talking about Atwater. He's at least in the running at best college football player from MO IMHO.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 20, 2017, 12:48:15 pm
No , I was talking about Atwater. He's at least in the running at best college football player from MO IMHO.
Gotcha.  Atwater was a beast. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on April 19, 2017, 03:17:03 pm
Yeah, I won't let it drive me crazy.

Don't listen to the sound of your own wheels................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

str8volfan

as far as Texas, I cant believe Vince Young hasnt been mentioned. Love him or hate him, he was one of the best college players ever.

jvanhorn

I have no idea what state you would count him from, but Barry Sanders was the best running back I have ever seen, and really, its not even close.  And he was smart enough to quit while he was still young enough to probably avoid physical and mental problems, and this was years before the realization that the damage could be serious.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: jvanhorn on April 21, 2017, 03:33:42 am
I have no idea what state you would count him from, but Barry Sanders was the best running back I have ever seen, and really, its not even close.  And he was smart enough to quit while he was still young enough to probably avoid physical and mental problems, and this was years before the realization that the damage could be serious.

He only quit because the lions wouldn't trade him.  It is why I hate the lions.  In my opinion Barry Sanders was the greatest RB ever.  I loved watching him play.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: str8volfan on April 20, 2017, 09:37:45 pm
as far as Texas, I cant believe Vince Young hasnt been mentioned. Love him or hate him, he was one of the best college players ever.

Heck he's not even the best to play for the sippers. My vote for that is Earl Campbell......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lwillin

Walter Payton should be in the conversation for Mississippi's best.

lwillin

rlreev01

Pudgepork

Sonny Liston was born east of Crowley Ridge about a mile in the flatlands.  Between Forrest City and Wynne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rlreev01 on April 22, 2017, 07:22:51 pm
Earl Campbell is hands down the best in Texas

I've watched in person and on TV a LOT of games between us and them and a lot of games of them against others for over 50 years. I agree. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pudgepork on April 22, 2017, 07:28:05 pm
Sonny Liston was born east of Crowley Ridge about a mile in the flatlands.  Between Forrest City and Wynne

Where'd he play football?