Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seriously Jimmy Garapollo?

Started by 311Hog, May 09, 2014, 10:55:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pillowhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 13, 2014, 12:26:10 pm
I certainly did watch him as a true freshman in the SEC, playing in a conservative offense where he shared equal snaps in practice with Dick while working among clashing offensive coaches.

I can see your distaste for the kid began well before he enrolled @ Arkansas, but he was far more talented than you give him credit for. Pete Carroll & Steve Sarkisian should agree, as they are the ones who brought him in with the other elite QBs at USC.
LOL ok and you probably thought Mallett would be better than Newton in the NFL also

pillowhog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 13, 2014, 01:23:37 pm
Umm both McCarron and Murray were 4/5 star rated recruits going into College.  And both of them performed well enough in College that i would say they justified their rankings wouldn't you?

Now if you want to argue whether or not their "game" or "athletic abilities", health concerns what have you is why other NFL teams passed on them over say a probably unranked recruit in HS QB in Garrappollo i can follow that logic, but i really do not think so at least not for there to be 4 rounds difference in their draft positions.

And honestly if you are trying to "sell" that NFL GM's etc. know what they are doing when it comes to drafting QB's and you are pointing to Tom Brady.  Let me ask you all weren't there something like 8 other QBs taken BEFORE someone took Brady? and that story plays out more often then not.  The story of NFL execs usually from bad teams get caught up in "combine numbers" and take people that do not pan out in the pros?

I dunno i still stand by my line of thought that there isn't much else a kid like McCarron can do to gain some of you people's respect.  Highly rated HS kid, he won about as much as you can win in College at the highest level, his stats are insane, he isn't small he isn't unathletic same for Murray and Mettenburger etc.

/shrug
Because I have watched him play.  He manages a game well with the best line and talent there is.  No talent gaps in the NFL.  Plus have you seen how many tats the guy has?  Im not drafting a white QB with tats all over him period.  Not to mention his 8ft 3 broad jump, 4.95 40, 28 inch vert.  You better have the best mental game ever with those stats and he doesnt

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pillowhog on May 13, 2014, 01:39:29 pm
LOL ok and you probably thought Mallett would be better than Newton in the NFL also

Let's see, a lanky QB with known substance issues along with other (unknown to the general public) issues playing in a college system that never put him under center? That's an NFL GM's wet dream, right?

Yeah, I certainly felt he would be a better NFL QB than than a big-bodied Heisman Winner that won a NC and willed clutch play after clutch play in the SEC nearly all by himself.

One beat Bama, the other never could.

Your assumption skills are lacking.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogarusa

Quote from: 311Hog on May 13, 2014, 01:23:37 pm
Umm both McCarron and Murray were 4/5 star rated recruits going into College.  And both of them performed well enough in College that i would say they justified their rankings wouldn't you?

Its possible i am misunderstanding what your argument is.  They performed like 4/5 star players in college, no doubt anout that.

Does that mean they should both be high draft picks and it will transition to the next level- not one bit.  If NFL did stars for rookies, AJ and Murray would no longer have those 4 and 5 stars.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

311Hog

Quote from: lowberh on May 13, 2014, 02:38:54 pm
Its possible i am misunderstanding what your argument is.  They performed like 4/5 star players in college, no doubt anout that.

Does that mean they should both be high draft picks and it will transition to the next level- not one bit.  If NFL did stars for rookies, AJ and Murray would no longer have those 4 and 5 stars.

But that doesn't make sense to me. Football is football

yes your situation, will, and  heart etc. even can dictate alot about "future success and transition to the next level" but still the draft is nothing more than the "recruiting" process all over again except this time the team is doing the picking rather than the other way around.

If in HS Murray was considered a better prospect by "talent evaluators" then a guy like Garrappollo, so Murray goes to UGA big time college football performs well, some injuries, some failures, but by and large has a successful college career.  Garrapollo goes to a small D1 school also has a good career.  He is probably more "mobile" as i said but all the athletic "measurables" are likely similar why would one be chosen 4 rounds ahead of the other, when one has undoubtedly played against much tougher opposition.

You down grade them because they are playing "with" better players, but they are also playing "against" better players as well. 

i mean what else can a player do to prove their game transitions to the next level?  besides start and succeed at the highest level possible on the field.