True freshmen scheduled to play

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 30, 2016, 07:26:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

5* DT McTelvin Agim - second team
4* RB Devwah Whaley - second team
4* NG Austin Capps - second team
4* RB T.J. Hammonds - will play if recovered from meniscus injury
3* WR Jordan Jones - in receiver rotation, especially if Dominique Reed isn't 100%
3* LB De'jon Harris - second team
3* QB Cole Kelley - backup
3* FB Hayden Johnson - starter
3* TE Grayson Gunter - in the rotation
3* LB Dee Walker - special teams
WR D'Vone McClure - unrated ex-baseballer, in the rotation

That's a lot of true freshmen to see action in game one. Surely, players like Jones and Harris were underrated, if they are that good already. People who complain that Arkansas has to step up its recruiting to compete on a higher level -- has it already happened?
[CENSORED]!

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 30, 2016, 07:26:17 pm
3* WR Jordan Jones - in receiver rotation, especially if Dominique Reed isn't 100%

That's a lot of true freshmen to see action in game one. Surely, players like Jones and Harris were underrated, if they are that good already. People who complain that Arkansas has to step up its recruiting to compete on a higher level -- has it already happened?

Is it not more of an indictment of previous classes?

Will have to see how the season goes, I guess.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SultanofSwine

The surprises there to me if you look at the class at signing day is Kelley Gunter and Capps. Agim is a stud and the others are mostly at positions where freshmen can break in or the linebackers where depth has been an issue.

HogHomer

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2016, 07:28:20 pm

I agree that we will have to see how the season goes.

But the only positions I would agree with it being an indictment of previous classes would be LB and maybe RB.

We have seen that our WR's are a pretty good unit and Pettway would be on the depth chart if not for a underclassman mistake. Deon Stewart is on the cusp of getting PT. It leads me to believe that McClure and Jones aren't just the best of a bad bunch.

At TE I believe they see Henry-like ability from Gunter and that's hard to keep off the field no matter who you have on the roster.

MultipleScoreGasms

I was hoping Cole Kelley would be a redshirt.

Hawgzinbowlz

CBB is dialing it in. Filling needs with an outstanding recruiting class.

3* FB Hayden Johnson - starter.

" GO HOGS "

DiamondHogFan

Cole Kelley is not the back up and is not scheduled to play...

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogHomer

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2016, 08:26:33 pm
So Agim is officially a DT?

Yes, Coach Smith said they wanted to get more speed on the field because that is what they lacked last year on the defensive front. They are hoping he can create pressure up the middle, similar to what Philon did two years ago. Also when we go 4 DE's on passing downs I assume he will be out there as well.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2016, 07:28:20 pm

I would say it shows more the talent and hard work of these young guys.  Just because a freshman beats out the other guys at his position doesn't mean the other guys are terrible.  They just need to step it up.

yraciv

I don't think Gunter, Kelley, or Hammonds will play this year. Barring injuries.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogHomer on August 30, 2016, 08:28:54 pm
Yes, Coach Smith said they wanted to get more speed on the field because that is what they lacked last year on the defensive front. They are hoping he can create pressure up the middle, similar to what Philon did two years ago. Also when we go 4 DE's on passing downs I assume he will be out there as well.

Yeah, he appears to be quite versatile. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: yraciv on August 30, 2016, 08:47:28 pm
I don't think Gunter, Kelley, or Hammonds will play this year. Barring injuries.

Would be great if they RS.

HogHomer

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2016, 08:53:45 pm
Yeah, he appears to be quite versatile.

I don't know if we've ever had a player as fast as him at DT. Philon was more quick than fast. And boy was Philon quick. It will be fun watching him work there this season.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogHomer on August 30, 2016, 08:55:56 pm
I don't know if we've ever had a player as fast as him at DT. Philon was more quick than fast. And boy was Philon quick. It will be fun watching him work there this season.

It just seems out DE position is getting sparse with talent.  I believe we've moved Graham and Ramsey to DE.  Not sure if that's because it's their better position or if we just need more bodies there.  And isn't Bell a TE?

I figure that all 4 incoming freshman DL are all DT's.  Probably not a DE in the bunch. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rhames on August 30, 2016, 09:01:13 pm
Hammonds will play in my opinion

Would be nice if we could RS one of the freshman RB's, but I agree, I suspect Hammonds will play some. 

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2016, 09:03:56 pm
Would be nice if we could RS one of the freshman RB's, but I agree, I suspect Hammonds will play some. 

If KW can't play, then Hammonds will probably see some action. I don't think we see him the first two games, but will against Tx St if Kody is limited in his playing.

younghog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 30, 2016, 08:21:47 pm

bout to type the same thing.. Not even listed on Depth Chart.. but I get the reference..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Oklahawg

Semantics, and don't bet against it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RaisinHog

I don't think it's set in stone agim will be on the interior forever coach said he will play all up and down the line this year in diff packages ... also I think it depends on how much work he wants to do at keeping himself lighter and Lean if he wants to play end in the future

Hogdomer

Quote from: yraciv on August 30, 2016, 08:47:28 pm

Coach B has said a few times Gunter will play and Hammonds will play when healthy.

If Allen gets hurt for an extended period, say he is out for several games, I think they go with Cole Kelley.  I get the sense they think Storey can be a caretaker for a few quarters or maybe one game, but if the need a playmaker, they are going with Kelley.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogdomer on August 30, 2016, 09:46:49 pm
Coach B has said a few times Gunter will play and Hammonds will play when healthy.

If Allen gets hurt for an extended period, say he is out for several games, I think they go with Cole Kelley.  I get the sense they think Storey can be a caretaker for a few quarters or maybe one game, but if the need a playmaker, they are going with Kelley.

You guys don't give up do you?  Cole Kelly will not play this year unless we lose Allen, Storey, Town and probably some walkon I can't even name.

Hogdomer

August 30, 2016, 10:15:37 pm #23 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:59:52 am by Hogdomer
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 30, 2016, 09:54:43 pm
You guys don't give up do you?  Cole Kelly will not play this year unless we lose Allen, Storey, Town and probably some walkon I can't even name.

It seems clear the staff thinks he is the second best QB.  If Allen is out for a long while and the season still has promise, I fully expect to see him play.

Elvis P Hogg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 30, 2016, 09:54:43 pm

Coach B is the one saying Kelly will play per his presser this week

Hognspace

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on August 30, 2016, 10:23:02 pm
Coach B is the one saying Kelly will play per his presser this week

I heard it too.  It was surprising give CK is a true freshman and the other talent up there are rated well in the recruiting rankings.  The kid must have that it factor.  Some players have the ability to demand respect from the first time they step onto the field.  This kid must have that all eyes on me type charisma, which is extremely important at the QB position. 

Oklahawg

I believe so. The more bodies that can contribute in key games = the better we have recruited (and developed) talent.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

presidenthog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2016, 09:01:54 pm
It just seems out DE position is getting sparse with talent.  I believe we've moved Graham and Ramsey to DE.  Not sure if that's because it's their better position or if we just need more bodies there.  And isn't Bell a TE?

I figure that all 4 incoming freshman DL are all DT's.  Probably not a DE in the bunch.
ding ding ding. I made a post about this in the recruiting forum a while back. I got hammered for it. after this year I'll be concerned with our D line as far as DE'S go.

Arthur pigby sellers.

This is a really good group of players. Jones and Harris while only 3* both turned down Bama to play here. 

Arthur pigby sellers.

I got the sense from CBB interviews that Sosa can play DE or DT much like Ledbetter last year. He thinks this situational use of SOSA will get him on the field more this year. Using him on the inside will take advantage of his speed on obvious passing downs. It seems like CBB is comfortable with our DE depth this year. It is possible we see Sosa as a starter at DE next year.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Coaches seem excited about Ramsey as a speed rusher at DE.  He will get PT there, and it seems to be his best position fit.  I think Graham is gone.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on August 31, 2016, 06:51:09 am
I got the sense from CBB interviews that Sosa can play DE or DT much like Ledbetter last year. He thinks this situational use of SOSA will get him on the field more this year. Using him on the inside will take advantage of his speed on obvious passing downs. It seems like CBB is comfortable with our DE depth this year. It is possible we see Sosa as a starter at DE next year.

Yes I think agim will take over wise spot next year ...

Biggus Piggus

I guess you missed the ongoing discussion about this subject, and you also must have missed Bielema saying in a news conference that Kelley might play this season.
[CENSORED]!

HogMantheIntruder

We are loaded with upperclassmen at DE this year, so putting Sosa at tackle makes sense. We will likely only have him for three years, so we might as well get the most PT out of him that we can. I fully expect him to move back to DE next year.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pulled(PP)pork

anyone noticed that Bama and the likes use their star talent on special teams?  I haven't really noticed us doing that, at least not where it's glaringly obvious.

PP

carolinahogger

Quote from: HogHomer on August 30, 2016, 08:28:54 pm

It's funny, but a few years ago the conventional wisdom was that the hardest positions to fill were the "big run-plugger" interior defensive linemen.  Now that we have those guys we are moving in another direction.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 31, 2016, 08:00:06 am
anyone noticed that Bama and the likes use their star talent on special teams?  I haven't really noticed us doing that, at least not where it's glaringly obvious.

PP

Bama is deep enough to do that.  Their special teams seemed to always be true fr/rs fr lb's and db's & wr's. Hogs cant afford to get lbs or dbs hurt on special teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hogsanity on August 31, 2016, 08:22:09 am
Bama is deep enough to do that.  Their special teams seemed to always be true fr/rs fr lb's and db's & wr's. Hogs cant afford to get lbs or dbs hurt on special teams.
well, they have starting RB's as punt and kick returners

PP

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on August 30, 2016, 08:01:22 pm
I was hoping Cole Kelley would be a redshirt.
He will be unless Allen and Storey gets injured (badly).
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 31, 2016, 08:00:06 am

PP
That's all Bama has is star talent.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 31, 2016, 08:35:59 am
well, they have starting RB's as punt and kick returners

PP
Dominique Reed is the primary kick returner. And with the depth of our receiving core this year we can afford to do that. And Jared Cornelius is our primary punt returner. And once again with the depth of our receiving core we can afford to do that also.

Pulled(PP)pork

so we do do it to a degree

I said "do do"

PP

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 31, 2016, 08:53:19 am
That's all Bama has is star talent.

All Bama has is actual talent.  A whole bunch of it.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 07:33:44 am
I guess you missed the ongoing discussion about this subject, and you also must have missed Bielema saying in a news conference that Kelley might play this season.
Nope, saw the discussion.  Right now Storey is the back up.  Which means Kelley is not "scheduled" to play.  Scheduled to play to me means they are in a rotation to play regularly in the game plan.  I highly doubt Kelley is in that situation.

If Kelley plays in game one, I will be shocked...and I will give you props for calling that one.

Pork Twain

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 30, 2016, 07:34:54 pm
The surprises there to me if you look at the class at signing day is Kelley Gunter and Capps. Agim is a stud and the others are mostly at positions where freshmen can break in or the linebackers where depth has been an issue.
Agreed and I would expect to see about this much of a contribution every year from the incoming class.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 31, 2016, 09:33:11 am
Nope, saw the discussion.  Right now Storey is the back up.  Which means Kelley is not "scheduled" to play.  Scheduled to play to me means they are in a rotation to play regularly in the game plan.  I highly doubt Kelley is in that situation.

If Kelley plays in game one, I will be shocked...and I will give you props for calling that one.

This was not a discussion about who will play in game one. It was about true freshmen who are likely to play this season. I didn't explain that very well. A lot of the guys listed above will play in game one, others later.
[CENSORED]!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 09:37:48 am
This was not a discussion about who will play in game one. It was about true freshmen who are likely to play this season. I didn't explain that very well. A lot of the guys listed above will play in game one, others later.
Fair enough.  If we see Kelley this year, I think that makes Storey a career back up barring injuries.  I'm good with any of it as long as the best available players are on the field, and CBB knows who that is.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 31, 2016, 08:57:38 am
so we do do it to a degree

I said "do do"

PP
Yep, to a degree. The more top talent and depth we can get at certain positions the more we can afford to do it.