Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I missing something...?

Started by Michael_E_Davis, August 30, 2016, 06:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

Why is Arkansas being dismissed this year?  The razorbacks don't 'seem' to be taken seriously in the west at all.  On Finebaum just a few minutes ago, there were two callers that that brought up Arkansas. One was regarding the Arkansas and Tennessee programs. All Finebaum could talk about was Tennessee. He gloated about it.  All he said about Arkansas was that Jenny would be on tomorrow.  I thought we beat Tennessee last year. The other caller predicted it would be Arkansas and Florida in the SEC championship game.  It was all Finebaum could do to keep from laughing on air. This is a sharp contrast to last year where we got at least a little consideration for making waves in the west.  I am flummoxed by this. Are we not in a better position to make a run this year?
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

PonderinHog

hogfan870

We lost Collins, Henry, Allen, Tretola and we have a brutal schedule.

King Kong

Finebaum is a UT grad that is part of his UT love.

Arkansas vs FL probably not a likely situation. But hey it's already happened twice

Boarmonger

I think we are in better shape his year but we have to prove it on the field.   What happened last year is why we're not getting any respect this year.  Let them laugh.  When we turn the corner we'll be the ones laughing.  Tennessee will be a sacrificial lamb for the West.    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:  11 days.    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

31to6

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 30, 2016, 06:36:33 pm
Why is Arkansas being dismissed this year? 
Three reasons:

1) Head-scratching losses to teams we should beat (Toledo) or need to beat to be SECCG-caliber (A&M, Tech).
2) TN is in an extremely weak division. GA has a new coach and either a bad QB or a true freshman QB. MIZ is in turmoil. FL can't score. Vandy and KY are the most stable and they are Vandy and KY. TN would not even be in the conversation if they were in the West.
3) We do not return the foundation of our successes last year. Untested/unproven running backs, a rebuilding OL and a new QB. In a division with two of the best defenses in college FB and the a top-5 QB.

Anyone saying we will win the SEC-W is being extremely optimistic at this point.

We have a good schedule. If we are much improved our schedule will be a big asset. But nobody can tell you whether we will be better this year or take a step back. Either is about equally likely.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogfan870 on August 30, 2016, 06:40:20 pm

But we return great senior leadership and play the toughest games at home. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I have pretty much accepted the fact that we will most likely never get any real respect until we win the SEC.
And even then you will hear "well the SEC was down" if we did ever win it.

hobhog

I understand everyone looking past us (but with respect at least). I'm still trying to figure out all of the TCU and Black Bear love. Frogs lost everything offensively and have a D made for defending the spread, yet no one gives us a chance. And Bears return a top QB but lost several key players, yet they are almost top 10? With bad losses to Memphis last year, and choked against Hogs. Tough early schedule too this year.

Don t get the high rankings. Guess we shal see.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hobhog on August 30, 2016, 06:55:55 pm
I understand everyone looking past us (but with respect at least). I'm still trying to figure out all of the TCU and Black Bear love. Frogs lost everything offensively and have a D made for defending the spread, yet no one gives us a chance. And Bears return a top QB but lost several key players, yet they are almost top 10? With bad losses to Memphis last year, and choked against Hogs. Tough early schedule too this year.

I agree about all the TCU love. When did they all the sudden become a program that just reloads every time they lose somebody? Their first two years in the big 12 were 7-6 and 4-8. People were saying they were in over their heads.

They may beat us but they are getting some ridiculous love and tons of predictions to make the playoffs.

Biggus Piggus

Last year Arkansas got a lot of preseason love and opened the season 1-3. Mmmkay?
[CENSORED]!

longpig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 30, 2016, 07:06:29 pm
Last year Arkansas got a lot of preseason love and opened the season 1-3. Mmmkay?

;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Why is Arkansas being dismissed this year?  The razorbacks don't 'seem' to be taken seriously in the west at all.  On Finebaum just a few minutes ago, there were two callers that that brought up Arkansas. One was regarding the Arkansas and Tennessee programs. All Finebaum could talk about was Tennessee. He gloated about it.  All he said about Arkansas was that Jenny would be on tomorrow.  I thought we beat Tennessee last year. The other caller predicted it would be Arkansas and Florida in the SEC championship game.  It was all Finebaum could do to keep from laughing on air. This is a sharp contrast to last year where we got at least a little consideration for making waves in the west.  I am flummoxed by this. Are we not in a better position to make a run this year?

We have to realize that not everyone is as close to, or pays as much attention to, our program as we do.

Some of us are overly zealous in our predictions of success and some are less so because they have a tough time dealing with reality on a personal level when it occurs.

The way that everyone else sees us is, we have a lot of unknowns and we lost a lot of productive players from our O-Line, two really big time RB's and a QB that led the SEC in QBR last year. They see that we return a lot of experienced players on defense, but it wasn't exactly a defense that impressed last year. Naturally, they see no reason to be overly optimistic about our chances for 2016.

I can understand where they are coming from and the only thing that is going to change their collective minds is the Hogs coming out and putting together complete performances on both sides of the ball. Performances that are dominating and efficient compared to the level of our opponents and their preconceived notion of how strong those opponents may be.

Even if we come out and beat La Tech like a drum and have the reserves starting the 3rd quarter (probably won't see the reserves until middle of the 3rd even if we do dominate), I wouldn't expect the media to embrace us to a great degree. "La Tech lost a lot, they aren't on the sam level as a SEC team, etc., etc. They will make excuses for the performance even if La Tech is ground into the turf of RRS. But let us go to TCU and dominate them and we will get some respect, though many will continue to say, "TCU lost their offense, lost a lot of talent, maybe this isn't as big of a win a it seems...TCU is worse than we thought". I can hear it already.

Bottom line we will get respect if we are 5-0 going into the Alabama game but Alabama will still be the overwhelming favorite.

Only if we beat Alabama (and they will say that Alabama is in a rebuilding mode and we were wrong to vote them pre-season #1) will we finally begin to get some real respect and even then, it will be diminished respect.

Go through the season undefeated leading up to the LSU game (if they are still undefeated) and suddenly, there will be talk about the SECCG running through either LSU or Arkansas. We will always be a team that no one wants to play but we are going to have to earn respect based on multiple wins and not just what some pre-season prognosticator may say. Do it every year for a few years in a row and you begin to get Alabama level respect.

Until then, I'm pulling for the Hogs and I don't give a rip if we get a lot of respect prior to the season. All I care about is how it all ends in December.
Go Hogs Go!

TNRazorbacker

Yes, and it's pretty obvious to all but homers. We lost virtually all our offensive production off a team that was carried by the offense. Perhaps the best tight end ever to play for the Hogs, a three year 1000 yard rusher, and a senior playmaking QB that rarely made mistakes. All of them in the NFL. You don't lose this without it making an impact. We are replacing all of this with complete question marks.

We return some experience on D, but that is really only worth something when your D was good. Ours wasn't. We were good against the run but had no pass rush and our pass defense was literally horrible. Not just worst in the SEC horrible but among the worst in the country horrible. Realistically we could get a lot better and still be bad at pass defense. This has been the case for most seasons in recent memory so I'm not optimistic about fielding a D that can carry a young struggling Offense which I think may be necessary for a strong season- particularly early on.

So betting for a breakout year is probably betting against the odds this year.  It's not what a hopeful fan with Cardinal colored glasses wants to admit before the season starts but it's the truth.

That doesn't mean it's impossible. If some of our question marks turn out we could make waves. I do expect us to be disciplined and competitive in all games though, and fully expect to be in a bowl game. I don't think that's unreasonable at all even in down years.

RebelW

Quote from: hogfan870 on August 30, 2016, 06:40:20 pm
We're in the SEC West. Every year is a "brutal" schedule. We have a good schedule actually being that we play the majority at home.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 30, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
But we return great senior leadership and play the toughest games at home. 
which will be a waste if we don't win them.

every time the media jumps on the arkansas bandwagon, they get burned. 

with what we are losing, and our history of not getting over the hump, its easy to see why they would relegate us to cellar dweller until we prove other wise.

that said, I think we will prove otherwise this year.  no matter how much the realist in me says 6-7 wins, I can't help but think this team is going to be greater than the sum of its parts.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on August 30, 2016, 08:30:28 pm
Yes, and it's pretty obvious to all but homers. We lost virtually all our offensive production off a team that was carried by the offense. Perhaps the best tight end ever to play for the Hogs, a three year 1000 yard rusher, and a senior playmaking QB that rarely made mistakes. All of them in the NFL. You don't lose this without it making an impact. We are replacing all of this with complete question marks.

We return some experience on D, but that is really only worth something when your D was good. Ours wasn't. We were good against the run but had no pass rush and our pass defense was literally horrible. Not just worst in the SEC horrible but among the worst in the country horrible. Realistically we could get a lot better and still be bad at pass defense. This has been the case for most seasons in recent memory so I'm not optimistic about fielding a D that can carry a young struggling Offense which I think may be necessary for a strong season- particularly early on.

So betting for a breakout year is probably betting against the odds this year.  It's not what a hopeful fan with Cardinal colored glasses wants to admit before the season starts but it's the truth.

That doesn't mean it's impossible. If some of our question marks turn out we could make waves. I do expect us to be disciplined and competitive in all games though, and fully expect to be in a bowl game. I don't think that's unreasonable at all even in down years.

AND, I am not saying that we can't achieve at high levels, I'm just saying that I can understand why those in the media may not embrace us as being more of a challenger to the SEC West than what they have predicted. That said, we may wind up better than what many may predict, or we may still be a year away.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

The SEC Network's Arkansas Preview has us going 9-3 and beating Alabama and Florida.

I have been surprised we have been getting so much love with 3 new o-line starters, a new quarterback and tailbacks, and a last place defense returning.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 30, 2016, 08:42:27 pm
The SEC Network's Arkansas Preview has us going 9-3 and beating Alabama and Florida.

I have been surprised we have been getting so much love with 3 new o-line starters, a new quarterback and tailbacks, and a last place defense returning.
it wouldn't surprise me if the bama and florida previews had them beating us.  they tend to hype up whoever they are talking about at the time.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

You should visit the TCU threads on here.  This is the universal reason why we will beat them...because they lost too much on offense.  Our offensive losses, of course, aren't that relevant. 

Regardless, I think this team has much potential. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 30, 2016, 08:42:27 pm

I think that if we are capable of beating Alabama and Florida we may go undefeated or 11-1. Personally, I'll be surprised if it works out this way. Not impossible by any means, but improbable in the SEC West with our losses in talent.
Go Hogs Go!

Greyhands

How about we just play football and dont worry about all that other crap

Michael_E_Davis

August 30, 2016, 09:09:54 pm #22 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:27:47 pm by Michael_E_Davis
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 30, 2016, 07:21:15 pm
We have to realize that not everyone is as close to, or pays as much attention to, our program as we do.

Some of us are overly zealous in our predictions of success and some are less so because they have a tough time dealing with reality on a personal level when it occurs.

The way that everyone else sees us is, we have a lot of unknowns and we lost a lot of productive players from our O-Line, two really big time RB's and a QB that led the SEC in QBR last year. They see that we return a lot of experienced players on defense, but it wasn't exactly a defense that impressed last year. Naturally, they see no reason to be overly optimistic about our chances for 2016.

I can understand where they are coming from and the only thing that is going to change their collective minds is the Hogs coming out and putting together complete performances on both sides of the ball. Performances that are dominating and efficient compared to the level of our opponents and their preconceived notion of how strong those opponents may be.

Even if we come out and beat La Tech like a drum and have the reserves starting the 3rd quarter (probably won't see the reserves until middle of the 3rd even if we do dominate), I wouldn't expect the media to embrace us to a great degree. "La Tech lost a lot, they aren't on the sam level as a SEC team, etc., etc. They will make excuses for the performance even if La Tech is ground into the turf of RRS. But let us go to TCU and dominate them and we will get some respect, though many will continue to say, "TCU lost their offense, lost a lot of talent, maybe this isn't as big of a win a it seems...TCU is worse than we thought". I can hear it already.

Bottom line we will get respect if we are 5-0 going into the Alabama game but Alabama will still be the overwhelming favorite.

Only if we beat Alabama (and they will say that Alabama is in a rebuilding mode and we were wrong to vote them pre-season #1) will we finally begin to get some real respect and even then, it will be diminished respect.

Go through the season undefeated leading up to the LSU game (if they are still undefeated) and suddenly, there will be talk about the SECCG running through either LSU or Arkansas. We will always be a team that no one wants to play but we are going to have to earn respect based on multiple wins and not just what some pre-season prognosticator may say. Do it every year for a few years in a row and you begin to get Alabama level respect.

Until then, I'm pulling for the Hogs and I don't give a rip if we get a lot of respect prior to the season. All I care about is how it all ends in December.

I understand your position.  Bielema, Enos, and Smith are very optimistic about this group of players though, and they have said as much.  It is just a bit disheartening to be almost laughed at in the west like Vandy.  We are better than that.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

razorbackkid

Paul Finebaum also said, "No one wants to play Arkansas in November", when talking to a Florida fan.

What needs to change is the perception that it takes Arkansas a while to get "tuned in". 

I want to hear in September that nobody wants to play the Hogs.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hoglady

Quote from: hobhog on August 30, 2016, 06:55:55 pm

Black Bears have the best QB in the SEC in Kelly - if they didn't have him they wouldn't be getting all that love.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 30, 2016, 11:12:06 pm
Paul Finebaum also said, "No one wants to play Arkansas in November", when talking to a Florida fan.

What needs to change is the perception that it takes Arkansas a while to get "tuned in". 

Hopefully we change that this year.
If not, then I will be concerned about ever starting out the season good.
Bo was interviewing someone this week (some National guy, forgot who) - his take was our style of play needs the other team to be beat up a little bit so we can wear them down. That we have problems with fresh teams. That's why we are so much better in November and pretty unimpressive in Sept.
That was his take anyway.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

razorbackkid

Quote from: hoglady on August 30, 2016, 11:27:26 pm
Hopefully we change that this year.
If not, then I will be concerned about ever starting out the season good.
Bo was interviewing someone this week (some National guy, forgot who) - his take was our style of play needs the other team to be beat up a little bit so we can wear them down. That we have problems with fresh teams. That's why we are so much better in November and pretty unimpressive in Sept.
That was his take anyway.

If my memory serves me well, it was self inflicted penalties and some poor play both offensively and defensively that killed us vs. Toledo and T. Tech.  I don't even want to remember the A&M game breakdowns.

In my opinion, we shot ourselves in both feet in all three early games.  When we ran out of bullets our feet quit bleedin'.

:)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hoglady

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 30, 2016, 11:46:45 pm
If my memory serves me well, it was self inflicted penalties and some poor play both offensively and defensively that killed us vs. Toledo and T. Tech.  I don't even want to remember the A&M game breakdowns.

In my opinion, we shot ourselves in both feet in all three early games.  When we ran out of bullets our feet quit bleedin'.

:)

Yep - whatever has been causing it, I hope it's corrected this year.
La Tech is not an ordinary cupcake and if we aren't ready to play TCU could be embarrassing.

razorbackkid

Quote from: hoglady on August 31, 2016, 12:03:09 am
Yep - whatever has been causing it, I hope it's corrected this year.
La Tech is not an ordinary cupcake and if we aren't ready to play TCU could be embarrassing.

:)  Every Arkansas Razorback fan should have stock in highly productive pharmaceutical companies.

Swinesong1

This

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2016, 08:45:19 pm
it wouldn't surprise me if the bama and florida previews had them beating us.  they tend to hype up whoever they are talking about at the time.

I wondered that too, and watched both of those previews (same format). They picked Alabama to go 11-1 and lose to Arkansas. Florida to go 7-5 (or maybe 8-4, who cares) and lose to us, also.

Pig In The City

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 30, 2016, 06:38:37 pm
We'll know more in 11 days.
Yep. Time will tell. The offense has to gel and we haven't proven anything to anyone yet. That is why.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: King Kong on August 30, 2016, 06:40:30 pm
Finebaum is a UT grad that is part of his UT love.

Arkansas vs FL probably not a likely situation. But hey it's already happened twice
I thought he was a Bama homer?

oh,and ESPN hates us

PP

hawgbawb

College football is a multi-billion dollar business. According to Forbes, Tennessee is the nation's third most valuable brand in college football. The teams that consistently get overrated in the preseasons are typically the same ones that have high valuations.  As an example, Texas is rated the highest in value, followed by Notre Dame and Tennessee.  http://www.forbes.com/college-football/?utm_campaign=forbesfbsf&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 30, 2016, 11:12:06 pm

I want us to get to the point where no one wants to play the Hogs EVER!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 31, 2016, 06:17:38 am
I wondered that too, and watched both of those previews (same format). They picked Alabama to go 11-1 and lose to Arkansas. Florida to go 7-5 (or maybe 8-4, who cares) and lose to us, also.
It's high past time for us to finally get "over the hump" against three teams" T&AM (still burns me up that we've been in excellent position to have won any/all of the past three games against those clowns), 'Bama and Florida. I really want to beat the Gators 'cause we definitely owe them some MAJOR pay back given the "hosing" we had several years ago down there when "little Timmy T" was in major trouble against our defense.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 31, 2016, 07:52:08 am
I want us to get to the point where no one wants to play the Hogs EVER!!!!
Im not sure that would happen to an extent.....all teams want to be David slaying Goliath

PP

EastexHawg

Can you think of any other SEC teams that have gone 6-6 and 7-5 in the regular season the last two years...and lost their 5th year senior who was the best QB in the SEC, along with the best TE in the nation and both of the top two RBs going into last season (Jonathan Williams didn't play) along with some of the best linemen in the SEC...who you think are likely to compete for the SEC title this year?

There are huge, gaping holes in the offense this year and the defense couldn't make 50 points against Mississippi State hold up.

The rest of the SEC and the nation probably have differing views of our prospects than the typical Arkansas fan.

oldbear

I have no problem with everyone expecting us to have a down year as long as the coaches and players don't. As several have said above, it makes sense. It also makes perfect sense that Tennessee would be expected to have a good year. I would suggest that if they were in the west, with what they have returning, they would be the darling pick of several.

We still have to play all the games and I still expect that we will be better than projected.

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, ok, super scout. 9-3.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2016, 08:45:19 pm
nope. Said the same in florida and bama previews.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Biggus Piggus

We lost virtually all our offensive production off a team that was carried by the offense.

"Virtually all" makes sense only if you give no credit to wide receivers for passing yardage. Arkansas did not lose any wide receivers. Actually got more of 'em, in fact.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 09:07:14 am
"Virtually all" makes sense only if you give no credit to wide receivers for passing yardage. Arkansas did not lose any wide receivers. Actually got more of 'em, in fact.
So what it almost all boils down to is "Can Austin Allen pick up where Brandon Allen left off?"

Biggus Piggus

We return some experience on D, but that is really only worth something when your D was good.

This also is nonsense. Having freshmen, sophomores and juniors turn into sophomores, juniors and seniors is almost always a major upgrade. Maybe you intended to take an extreme position here, but it's wrong to proclaim that returning players are useless.

TCU's defense returns a lot of players. They were not good last season on defense. The consensus view in 2016 is that TCU will be good on defense this season. They had been good in the past.

Arkansas's defense returns a lot of players. They were not good last season on defense. They had been good in 2014. The consensus view remains skeptical about Arkansas's defense in 2016. That is what the OP was talking about.

We have every reason to expect a much-improved defense this season.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2016, 09:11:44 am
So what it almost all boils down to is "Can Austin Allen pick up where Brandon Allen left off?"

We lost Alex Collins, and much depends on how well he is replaced. Game one is not going to be an ideal situation, with Kody Walker and T.J. Hammonds recently not 100%. The running game will be primarily Rawleigh Williams III, Devwah Whaley and Damon Mitchell.

Last season, at times we had Collins and little else. With RWIII, Whaley and Mitchell, we have better speed. Question is how well they will operate, get through holes and pick up second-level blocking.

In 2015, the Hogs lost a lot of the second-level yards they gained in 2014 with two strong backs and a different offensive scheme. Kurt Anderson brought in different blocking methods, different running game concepts, things we haven't even seen yet in practice. We don't know what to expect, so jumping to any conclusions would be premature.

At the least, I see better running back depth even if Walker is never more than a bit player. We have enough backs to have a rotation + should not be pushing anybody beyond 25 carries like Collins had to do.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

I think we'll be able to run the ball, especially if we can pass the ball.  I feel good about this offense, Biggus.  Lots of weapons, all over the field.  Just not battle tested yet.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 31, 2016, 08:02:17 am
Can you think of any other SEC teams that have gone 6-6 and 7-5 in the regular season the last two years...and lost their 5th year senior who was the best QB in the SEC, along with the best TE in the nation and both of the top two RBs going into last season (Jonathan Williams didn't play) along with some of the best linemen in the SEC...who you think are likely to compete for the SEC title this year?

There are huge, gaping holes in the offense this year and the defense couldn't make 50 points against Mississippi State hold up.

The rest of the SEC and the nation probably have differing views of our prospects than the typical Arkansas fan.

agree that we have a lot to replace, as do others... it's easy to see how the common fan could perceive our rebuilding of a mediocre team, and not expect much.. you have to earn respect.. it takes time.. go 9-4 this year and we'll be ranked coming out next year.... go 10-3 and we'll be a media darling next year..

hawganatic

The Arkansas preview show on the SEC Network we were picked to go 9-3, with losses to TCU, LSU, and A&M.  We were picked to be the only team to beat Alabama and to go 6-2 in a hard division.

Every show I've watched where the Razorbacks were talked about, including Finebaum, they've said we are a program nobody wants to play, especially late in the season.

If Finebaum laughed off the thought of us in the SEC Championship game, it's because we are in the same division as Bama and LSU.  Most people think third place is the best any other team will do this year.

Has nothing to do with how good/bad they think Arkansas will be this year, it's how good they think are competition will be.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 09:11:59 am
This also is nonsense. Having freshmen, sophomores and juniors turn into sophomores, juniors and seniors is almost always a major upgrade. Maybe you intended to take an extreme position here, but it's wrong to proclaim that returning players are useless.

TCU's defense returns a lot of players. They were not good last season on defense. The consensus view in 2016 is that TCU will be good on defense this season. They had been good in the past.

Arkansas's defense returns a lot of players. They were not good last season on defense. They had been good in 2014. The consensus view remains skeptical about Arkansas's defense in 2016. That is what the OP was talking about.

IMO the major question mark for TCU, at least early in the season, is how well the can replace the load of talent they lost on the offensive side of the ball. They certainly return some talent on that side; however, it may take a few games for the offense to really hit its "groove".

On the defensive side I think, as usual, they'll be very tough. They return most of their key studs over there. I would expect them to try to put a lot of pressure on our line and try to go after Austin. My personal opinion is that we'd be wise to go after them head on with a physical running game. This is pretty much counter to the type of offenses they normally face in the Big 12 which we know is a primarily spread type offensive league. It would also negate some of the defensive speed that TCU seems to cherish. If we can wear them down in the first three or so quarters hopefully this opens up more of the passing attack that we'll certainly need to have as well. 

hawganatic

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 09:11:59 am

A lot of people don't understand the value of experience and coaching.  Every player returning from last year's defense will be better, to a certain degree, this year.

How many on this board were world beaters the first day at their jobs, compared to a year later?