Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest big hits in Razorback history.

Started by bigpigpimpin, August 30, 2016, 09:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SamBuckhart

Remember that time our fullback pancaked that Aggie linebacker down on the goal line. That was great. I bet that guy got extra kidding from his team mates.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Tejano Jawg

There are a couple that quickly came to mind, both very different.

–One was our RB Michael Smith (yes, the guy who weighed about 170) hitting a safety right after he picked off a Ryan Mallett pass. I remember thinking at the time, it was worth the interception just to see that hit. MS absolutely leveled him.
–The other is more stylistic than violent. This was during our pounding of #8 Ole Miss in Fayetteville in 2014...in the rain. Trey Flowers sacked QB Bo Wallace, spinning him and throwing him down like a rodeo cowboy ropes and upends a calf. This was late in the game, so it was like a beautiful punctuation mark.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hawgtusky22

In late 80s we played Miami.  I remember Atwater punishing them from strong safety.

PonderinHog

Billy Ray Smith, Jr. had the uncanny ability to separate a quarterback from the football, as well as his senses.

HognitiveDissonance

Greatest hit in my memory was not from a Hog---it was Ryan Mallett to Cobi Hamilton for 80 yards to close the first half against LSU in 2010 in LR, to make it 21-14.

The LSU safety made a play for the INT and missed, brutalizing the LSU cornerback---his own teammate.

Hamilton scooted untouched to the end zone. Touchdown Arkansas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfWI79RnVk

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

razorbackkid

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 31, 2016, 02:15:16 am
Maybe I misunderstood the context.  For me it is impossible to talk about the Razorbacks without talking about Arkansas and equally so......for me to talk about Arkansas without talking about the Razorbacks.  I'm helplessly devoted because for me it is socks and shoes.

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rlamb

Please remember McFadden when he became a defensive back after after an interception. He knocked an LSU DB out of bounds and
over their bench about 5 yards away. He put a Florida DB out of the game with a tackle about midfield.

Their were also numerous times he KO'd defensive backs and LB's on his runs. I remember helmets flying of DB's plastered in
games by McFadden, An SMU reporter wrote that with Wayne Harris' lick on Meredith, Meredith's helmet went upwards, the
ball went forward, and he went backwards, knocked out.

Bacons Rebellion

Casey Dick should get a mention that time he cleaned up an LSU chaser on McFadden's TD run.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 30, 2016, 11:47:37 am

I remember Bobby Joe Edmonds being lit up on a mini-wheel out of the backfield by an SMU LB.

He was still in bad shape in class the next week (probably would be hospitalized these days).

I remember him (a few years younger than me and other sport).  He was frosh (82?) and a contestant in one of the "Dating Game" segments at the beginning of year in the Student Union. I remember his dad played a short time in the ABA.  He had some wheels back then.

Tigerloather

Quote from: woodhog14 on August 30, 2016, 11:41:49 am
1998 Kennoy Kennedy. He nailed that dude! I was at the game and remember that one well. The WR helmet was almost sideways when he was trying to get up.
Boom!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrecwwIoNj8

That's one I'll never forget!
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: earshot on August 30, 2016, 10:26:49 am
Bad quality but great hit.  USC in Fayetteville

My choice too. Dude got ROCKED.

I'll bet Atwater had some NASTY tackles back in the day that we're just all forgetting as well.

Oklahawg

I believe it was Junior Soli who sacked Taneyhill, the USC-E QB, and came up with a pony tail of hair.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hog.goblin

Quote from: gchamblee on August 30, 2016, 12:19:06 pm
I don't think the hit was dirty, the way he celebrated it was obvious he didn't think there was a fair catch signal. However, his actions after the ejection just screamed "thug" in my opinion and I was ashamed for him to be on the team afterwards.

It appeared to be a mistake more than dirty.  Though the celebration was dirty, but innocently, only because I think Wade thought he had caught the ball.  His attitude to the locker room was inexcusable and effectively ended his career.

The flag was not because he ignored the fair catch.  There was no fair catch signal.  The flag was because he tagged a guy trying to catch a ball a full second before the ball landed 5 yards away.

The ejection was helped by his celebration.

lahawg1

Hogeration

In 2010, I think Nelson hit USCe Shaw on the sideline.  It was a pretty good shot.

bythelake

whosiskid

It wasn't a huge hit, but the best tackle I've ever seen by a Razorback was in the 1977 Orange Bowl. Arkansas was beating Oklahoma pretty good, but the Sooners were fighting back. They had a great run by Elvis Peacock, who got around end and was running down the sideline, with All American and Outland Trophy Winner Greg Roberts in front of him. It looked like a definite TD for Oklahoma. The only person between Roberts and Peacock was Vaughan Lusby, listed very generously at 5'10, 178. For those who don't remember, Peacock was a big running back, about 6'2, 220. Lusby met Roberts, somehow completely slipped his tackle, and arm tackled Peacock, taking him out of bound. Best. Tackle. Ever. He made the Outland Trophy winner look bad. Literally robbed Oklahoma of a TD and shut down their momentum.

Lusby had a great open field tackle against Texas. Earl Campbell found a seam up the middle and there was no one between him and the goal line except Lusby. But Vaughan just stood his ground, got his shoulder pads under Campbell's, and dropped him. Campbell got a massive hit on Lusby, but he also got tackled.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Dominicanhog

A play or two after Auburn had nutted Bobby Joe Edmonds on a dump pass play.. Mike Massey responded with the biggest hit I ever saw.. put the guys lights out.... absolutely turned the game around, fired up the entire bench.. we fell short but great way to step up by a teammate.

Though the biggest hit I've ever seen by a Razorback was Steve Atwater against Christian Okoye... BAAAMMM...

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 31, 2016, 08:08:30 pm
Though the biggest hit I've ever seen by a Razorback was Steve Atwater against Christian Okoye... BAAAMMM...

also the biggest hit I've ever HEARD

snoblind

Quote from: whosiskid on August 31, 2016, 07:49:56 pm
It wasn't a huge hit, but the best tackle I've ever seen by a Razorback was in the 1977 Orange Bowl. Arkansas was beating Oklahoma pretty good, but the Sooners were fighting back. They had a great run by Elvis Peacock, who got around end and was running down the sideline, with All American and Outland Trophy Winner Greg Roberts in front of him. It looked like a definite TD for Oklahoma. The only person between Roberts and Peacock was Vaughan Lusby, listed very generously at 5'10, 178. For those who don't remember, Peacock was a big running back, about 6'2, 220. Lusby met Roberts, somehow completely slipped his tackle, and arm tackled Peacock, taking him out of bound. Best. Tackle. Ever. He made the Outland Trophy winner look bad. Literally robbed Oklahoma of a TD and shut down their momentum.

Lusby had a great open field tackle against Texas. Earl Campbell found a seam up the middle and there was no one between him and the goal line except Lusby. But Vaughan just stood his ground, got his shoulder pads under Campbell's, and dropped him. Campbell got a massive hit on Lusby, but he also got tackled.

I knew Vaughn back in the day.  His name doesn't always get brought up when we have one of those best DB threads, but he is one of my corners if we are picking an all time best team.

code red

This by far...was the best I ever witnessed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MTBrookHog

<<<<< This. Larry Jackson vs Earl Campbell

Boles Hog

Pigsknuckles

Can't believe This one hasn't posted yet.

Oops...it has...sorrry.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jahog2020

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 31, 2016, 06:15:14 am
Casey Dick should get a mention that time he cleaned up an LSU chaser on McFadden's TD run.

I was gonna say that is my favorite!!  I've watched it over and over

zerose

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 30, 2016, 03:17:36 pm
Love that Bua block on special teams play.  My goodness...that's some football.

Bua was one of my all time favorites. Hard nosed tough guy. He could lay a lick.
Peering inside the magic crystal 8-ball in the dark confines of a spider hole.

hawaiianhogster

The best ever. I think there was 2 or 3 USC players hurt on that return.
I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.
I will be a father to you and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.
2 Corinthians 6

pigzwillrise

Neee to compile a list.  To me the USC body slam was the best. But Jerico Nelson against auburn was great. Kennedy, Franklin on  Dyer, Marquel at Vandy, Dennis Johnson truck, Butu against Bama... I think mike smith laid someone out pretty good once after a pick was thrown.  Bequette against GA is up there. I'm sure Bua had some good ones too.

LZH

Lots to think about, but DJ knocking MSU's DB totally on his butt was epic.

Add:  Speaking of RB's, I know it wasn't a slobberknocker, but DMac's stiff arm against LSU's LB in 2010 was something to see.  DMac ran around the left end and when the LB came up to tackle him, he shoved him not only off his feet but three yards backward.  When I got home and re-watched the game, I noticed Verne and Gary had quite a bit to say about that one.

Pulled(PP)pork

the hit on OM qb to knock the ball loose, ensuring our victory.....those were the days.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 30, 2016, 11:00:09 am
Atwater on Hatfield's Hog Teams was famous in College and in the NFL for lighting up folks!

Atwater at Denver vs. Christian Okoye of Kansas City = one of the NFL's greatest hits ever.
[CENSORED]!

Razor1997

Hawgboy64

Didn't LaSalle Harper knock out Troy Aikman in the 1989 Cotton Bowl?
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 30, 2016, 11:32:13 am
hit was dirty, no place for going in head down like that, it is almost as dangerous to the guy making the hit as the one being hit. Then of course his actions afterward showed his true "character".

I bet North Texas wouldn't be thinking about their cute little trick play after watching that. Dude didn't call a fair catch correctly and got hammered. I'll take that over the North Texas play any time.

oldfart

i remember a tackle jerico nelson made on the receiver of a screen pass about the time he caught thr ball. i literally thought he had taken his head off as his helmet flew off

bythelake

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 30, 2016, 10:19:43 am
The planting of the USC-e QB by Jake Bequette.  Dallas Washington nocking the socks off the USC-w KO Returner. 

Thinking the same thing.  Anybody got the YouTube?

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on August 30, 2016, 10:38:04 am
still pissed about that call... dude did not call fair catch, he was shielding his eyes from the sun

I think it was a good call. if that had happened to an Arkansas player this board would have melted. lol

I'll tell you what though, I'd take that call/ejection/FIRE- ANY DAY over what we saw last year with our guys watching the North Texas guy run by them after faking a air catch. Imo THATS the guy that should have got hit like this.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 31, 2016, 11:55:22 am
I believe it was Junior Soli who sacked Taneyhill, the USC-E QB, and came up with a pony tail of hair.

I remember that.

Bigfoot

Quote from: woodhog14 on August 30, 2016, 11:41:49 am
1998 Kennoy Kennedy. He nailed that dude! I was at the game and remember that one well. The WR helmet was almost sideways when he was trying to get up.
Boom!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrecwwIoNj8

Yep. Big hitter! One of my favorite defensive players in Razorback history. Not one of his hardest hits, but definitely a big play and well timed at 2:50 mark.

Zac Painter had a big hit in this same game at the 3:15 mark.

Hog75

Quote from: snoblind on August 30, 2016, 10:16:08 am
The hit I remember the most was an Iowa State, IIRC, linebacker hitting Dickey Morton and Morton's helmet popping up in the air.  Seemed like his helmet went 25 feet in the air and I thought oh no, he killed him.  But I think Dickey carried the ball on the very next play.

I know the opposite of what you asked, but it is the one that always come to mind.

Had straight on view of that one from student side - and from time to time over the last 45 years it just randomly comes to mind.  Your account is spot on.  Thought he got killed.  Hadn't recurred in a while.  Thanks for reminding me again! 

Sow Lancelot

From the other side, 1987 in WMS, Miami guy hit Juju Harshaw so hard I felt it in the 25th row.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jkstock04

Highlight of the game...lol it was over after that. But, you talk about biggest hits to remember this is the first that comes to my mind as well.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

greenEGnHAWGS

Who was the Arkansas boy who had his shoe knocked off? It wasn't too long ago. I just remember it was on a punt return and that shoe flew a mile away.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

(notOM)Rebel123

April 14, 2019, 09:58:40 am #94 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:09:26 am by (notOM)Rebel123
Was it Jessie Clark who got decleated vs. Baylor in 1981 at War Memorial?
I didn't see the play on this highlight video. But What a great game that was.

https://youtu.be/10Sh_6gNImA
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

LZH

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 14, 2019, 09:58:40 am
Was it Jessie Clark who got decleated vs. Baylor in 1981 at War Memorial?
I didn't see the play on this highlight video. But What a great game that was.

https://youtu.be/10Sh_6gNImA

Not too sure, but that was probably the Hogs' first game on ESPN....it was definitely the first time I remember seeing ESPN signs in WMS.  And yes, it was a great game - 41-39 I think.  Part of Baylor's band sat literally right across the isle from us.....Lord that was annoying.

MuskogeeHogFan

I know this was after he left the Hogs, but Steve Atwater vs. Christian Okoye (the Nigerian nightmare).

https://youtu.be/-mIOSFe_ttc
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2019, 10:34:50 am
I know this was after he left the Hogs, but Steve Atwater vs. Christian Okoye (the Nigerian nightmare).

https://youtu.be/-mIOSFe_ttc

Dude was a total tackling machine.  Even if he was out of position to make a big hit, you'd better outrun him because if he got his hands on you, you weren't getting away....he was stout.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 14, 2019, 10:47:53 am
Dude was a total tackling machine.  Even if he was out of position to make a big hit, you'd better outrun him because if he got his hands on you, you weren't getting away....he was stout.

He was from the era of college football when people would say, "he will put a hat on you". Can't be that aggressive these days, you will draw a penalty.
Go Hogs Go!

Danimal

Bruce Mitchell (R.I.P.) baptized a aTm receiver near the A&M sideline back in the early to mid 70's (can't remember exactly what year). I remember the guy being on the ground for quite awhile and when they finally got him up and over to the sideline he promptly tossed his cookies on several of his team-mates. LOL