Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quinn Grovey to replace Keith Jackson after this season

Started by ricepig, August 29, 2016, 11:47:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

As much as I want to begrudge him for leaving for Oklahoma, he was really good at describing the action. Plus he would have played offense for ken hatfield.

010HogFan

HogMantheIntruder

Anyone think this will hurt our chances with Koilan if some other big time programs start coming after him?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 29, 2016, 12:03:04 pm
Anyone think this will hurt our chances with Koilan if some other big time programs start coming after him?

I doubt it.  Dad can be more directly involved with him if he isn't in the booth.

younghog

I commend him for wanting to watch his kids play.. ~big ups

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

phadedhawg

I can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his son.  I respect him for it.  He slowly grew into his role and I'm going to miss hearing him. 

Quinn Grovey was my boyhood hero so I'm glad he's moving up. 

Pigsknuckles

Wonder who they will tap to cover the sidelines? Quinn was very good at digging up the story from that perspective.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

phadedhawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 29, 2016, 12:58:35 pm
Wonder who they will tap to cover the sidelines? Quinn was very good at digging up the story from that perspective.

Aye, and it is an important job.  It needs to be someone the Razorback sideline trusts to know what should and shouldn't be reported.

ricepig

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 29, 2016, 12:59:32 pm
Aye, and it is an important job.  It needs to be someone the Razorback sideline trusts to know what should and shouldn't be reported.

According to Quinn, it'll be somebody who can acclimate to the weather, haha. He said he was ready for the climate controlled booth.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 29, 2016, 12:59:32 pm

So true...a reporter walks a tightrope on the sidelines.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

RyanLR

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 29, 2016, 12:03:04 pm
Robinson is Razorback country, this ain't PA. Coach Eskola is a Hog fan I wouldn't worry about that.

GuvHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 29, 2016, 12:54:25 pm
I can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his son.  I respect him for it.  He slowly grew into his role and I'm going to miss hearing him. 

Quinn Grovey was my boyhood hero so I'm glad he's moving up. 

Yep, It's a class move by Keith and I don't blame him either. Maybe when he's in Fayetteville to watch his son Koilan play, he'll occasionally appear as a special guest on the radio Pre-game show.

Quinn is a good choice to take over because he knows Hog football.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

3kgthog

It would seem that DJ Williams would be a natural fit for the sideline spot. I wouldn't mind Clint, either. He did well enough on ESPN with our season preview.

Quote from: RyanLR on August 29, 2016, 02:10:51 pm
Robinson is Razorback country, this ain't PA. Coach Eskola is a Hog fan I wouldn't worry about that.
PA sends about 3X the number of players to Arkansas as Robinson, so I'd slow down on the day drinking there bub.

PonderinHog

DJ would be a great addition to the crew, in any role.

tasteslikechicken

DeltaBoy

Good Move by Keith. And Quinn will do just fine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

26.2Hog

Good move by Keith.

Surprised he didn't do it Sooner.

I vote for Clint on the sideline.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 29, 2016, 02:18:56 pm
It would seem that DJ Williams would be a natural fit for the sideline spot. I wouldn't mind Clint, either. He did well enough on ESPN with our season preview.

I think DJ would do a great job as well!
Hogville member since 2005.

Hogberry Snortcake

hoglady

Hate to see Keith leave, but if he didn't make the move he'd never get to see his other son play a down of college football. Don't blame him at all.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Don't see Clint being a sideline reporter - he's still doing the SEC Network stuff.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

26.2Hog

Quote from: hoglady on August 29, 2016, 04:41:14 pm
Don't see Clint being a sideline reporter - he's still doing the SEC Network stuff.

Yeah, you're right.  Probably will be DJ.

Dr. Starcs

Please not matt jones.

And Chuck needs to go next.

hoglady

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 29, 2016, 05:49:54 pm
Please not matt jones.

I agree about Matt Jones.
Would love DJ, though.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hobhog

Please not matt jones.

Chuck is good. He will be around for long time. Move on.

26.2Hog

Please not matt jones.

Still waiting on chuck to tell us how hootie leaving set the program back 10-20 years, like he said it would.

farmhawg

Quote from: hobhog on August 29, 2016, 08:05:55 pm
He should have moved on with hootie.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, all the "terrorists" should just shut up and accept him.

Lanny

Quote from: RyanLR on August 29, 2016, 02:10:51 pm
Yea that was a tough break when Hunter Henry left PA to attend Arkansas.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Quote from: Lanny on August 29, 2016, 10:01:13 pm
Yea that was a tough break when Hunter Henry left PA to attend Arkansas.
And Tyler colquitt, and Neal Barlow. And Cameron Colbert. And Jonathan Luigs.

The Hawg Marshal

Ugly Uncle

Michael Smith would do great on the sidelines.  Would love to see him get a shot.  He has experience in radio and knows what he is talking about.
Retired Radio Host

East Clintwood

Doesn't really matter who's doing the commentary or sideline reporting.

As long as Ckuckles is doing the broadcast, I can't listen to it.  Get rid of him, please.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: hobhog on August 29, 2016, 08:05:55 pm

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't believe people are still bitching and complaining over something that happened almost 10 years ago. Holding a grudge is bad but holding one for almost 10 years is absolutely ridiculous. These people need to get over it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Quote from: GuvHog on August 30, 2016, 08:12:15 am

I can't believe people are still bitching and complaining over something that happened almost 10 years ago. Holding a grudge is bad but holding one for almost 10 years is absolutely ridiculous. These people need to get over it.
I'm. Agreeing. With. GuvHog.

Can you imagine trying to make a hire to satisfy Hog fans.  Where any three are gathered, there are three different strongly held positions.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Karma on August 30, 2016, 09:15:36 am
Can you imagine trying to make a hire to satisfy Hog fans.  Where any three are gathered, there are three different strongly held positions.

Maybe, but it is a fact that not all former Razorbacks make great radio or TV personalities. I think DJ is a very unique and professional talent however. He has the "it" factor.

ricepig

Quote from: TrueBlue on August 30, 2016, 09:11:31 am
Uh, no. His radio show was atrocious. Just because you have experience, doesn't mean you are good at what you do. 

Next thing you are going to say is that Matt Jones should be doing play by play.

I never listened to his radio show, but he wasn't very good on the KTHV before/after game specials.

hei5manhog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 29, 2016, 10:41:22 pm
Michael Smith would do great on the sidelines.  Would love to see him get a shot.  He has experience in radio and knows what he is talking about.

I may be in the minority, but for some reason I didn't think Michael Smith was bland. He has an opinion and didn't struggle to communicate it. DJ has a bigger personality for sure; not sure if that's what that job requires. For all the excitement Matt Jones brought to the field he couldn't bring it to the radio. Just wasn't for him.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Karma on August 30, 2016, 09:15:36 am

Not true, I only surround myself with people that think exactly the same as I do, that way we avoid conflict.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

East Clintwood

August 30, 2016, 12:45:58 pm #46 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:36:35 pm by East Clintwood
Quote from: GuvHog on August 30, 2016, 08:12:15 am

I don't hold a grudge.  Everyone's entitled to an opinion.  I didn't like him before he uttered his famous line.

His voice is grating and he's not worth a damn with his play by play.  After about 3 or 4 minutes of listening to him, I want to start throwing things.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 29, 2016, 12:58:35 pm

Gary "Peanut" Adams.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Athog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 29, 2016, 11:54:06 am
As much as I want to begrudge him for leaving for Oklahoma, he was really good at describing the action. Plus he would have played offense for ken hatfield.

Hey he chose Oklahoma and the rest is history!! Let"s get an Okie who chose Arkansas!! Congrats to Q.G. When the "little man" sqats under center dial Quinn for the win!!

SamBuckhart

We appreciate the work Keith has done. Wish him the best after this season. His Sunset Tigers coach Ed Johnson, is one of my oldest buds.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!