Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's happened with Bhijon

Started by HogPhilosophy, August 29, 2016, 10:50:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogPhilosophy

He came in as a freshman and all the coaches were really impressed. His production hasn't been where we thought it would be, but wasn't expecting him to drop out of the 2-deep

Bacon_Bitz

He's a heckuva run stopper. But we need more pressure up the middle getting into the backfield more quickly, a la Philon.  Hence Taiwan and Ledbest.

factchecker

Louisiana Tech is a spread, up-tempo team.  Bijhon will get playing time and reps when we play run heavy teams.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Piggfoot

Don't know but I think Bhijon likes his pancakes too much.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: factchecker on August 29, 2016, 10:58:32 am
Louisiana Tech is a spread, up-tempo team.  Bijhon will get playing time and reps when we play run heavy teams.
Correct.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Probably a reward for capps' hard work more than anything. The did the same with Bijhon in 2014 when he jumped demarcus hodge on the depth chart
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

When you can rotate in and out with Taiwan Johnson, Bijohn Jackson, and Austin Capps, that doesn't mean that someone is underachieving, it means you had SEC level depth at a position for the first time in program history. 

We as fans need to learn to understand that a player splitting time doesn't always mean that someone is down, it can mean the program is up.  Thank you  Bret Bielema.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

woodhog14

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 29, 2016, 12:02:14 pm
When you can rotate in and out with Taiwan Johnson, Bijohn Jackson, and Austin Capps, that doesn't mean that someone is underachieving, it means you had SEC level depth at a position for the first time in program history. 

We as fans need to learn to understand that a player splitting time doesn't always mean that someone is down, it can mean the program is up.  Thank you  Bret Bielema.

Exactly. I wish our fans would understand this more.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Depth chart issues or not, im glad he decided to play on the hill. His counter part took his talents to bama and he hasn't seen meaningful minutes yet
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

swinesation

May be true, but putting a true freshman ahead of a junior on the two deep is not the norm. It means they think the freshman is better than the junior, who by the way was the highest rated player signed by Arkansas in his recruiting class.

ballinhog

I bet Jackson would make a heck of an offensive lineman

hogsfan31

Exactly this

KlubhouseKonnected

He is a very good run stopper. He's going to get lots of reps against Bama and LSU among others.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hawgwash

Fanonthehill, as the father of an O Lineman I'm guessing you would be a good person to ask this question.  Why do teams play so many DL players in a game, but the 5 starting OL seems to get nearly all the snaps?  At least that's the way it is at Arkansas, and I don't think we're unique in that.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawgwash on August 29, 2016, 01:03:41 pm
Fanonthehill, as the father of an O Lineman I'm guessing you would be a good person to ask this question.  Why do teams play so many DL players in a game, but the 5 starting OL seems to get nearly all the snaps?  At least that's the way it is at Arkansas, and I don't think we're unique in that.

Offensive line requires more teamwork so consistency in personelle becomes more important (whereas the dlinemen have more individual assignments). That would be my guess.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hawgwash

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 29, 2016, 01:12:18 pm
Offensive line requires more teamwork so consistency in personelle becomes more important (whereas the dlinemen have more individual assignments). That would be my guess.
That makes some sense, thinking about double teams in particular.  I'd be interested to hear other angles as well if anyone has any.

FANONTHEHILL

I totally agree with Klubhouse.  An offensive line must act as a cohesive unit.  Five working as one. You hear the call, go to the line, get the adjustment call, and carry out your assignment.  There is a need for consistency. 

Defensive line also has assignments, but is more situational and reactive.  There are certain packages for particular down and distances.  It helps keep everyone fresh. Players will rotate in and out constantly.   It has always amazed me how a long drive causes fatigue for the defensive line, but actually makes an OLine stronger.  There's a psychology to it that I can't figure out, but it's there.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hawgwash on August 29, 2016, 01:23:02 pm
That makes some sense, thinking about double teams in particular.  I'd be interested to hear other angles as well if anyone has any.
Defensive linemen are asked to do more, athletically, than offensive linemen. An OL may have to go up field to block on certain plays, but DL are trying to get into the backfield and chase a QB/RB most plays. So, aside from the need for the OL to play as one unit, the position is much more stationary, which means less energy exerted per play and being able to stay on the field longer.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

JaketheSnake

Quote from: swinesation on August 29, 2016, 12:26:32 pm
May be true, but putting a true freshman ahead of a junior on the two deep is not the norm. It means they think the freshman is better than the junior, who by the way was the highest rated player signed by Arkansas in his recruiting class.
Not necessarily.  They could also be trying to get a point across to Bhijon because of some other issue.  Most likely what was previously stated about the opponent though.

Youngsta71701

He'll play mostly against the Alabama's and LSU's. Teams that run a pro-style offense and like to run the ball up the middle.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: HogPhilosophy on August 29, 2016, 10:50:55 am
He came in as a freshman and all the coaches were really impressed. His production hasn't been where we thought it would be, but wasn't expecting him to drop out of the 2-deep
I remember all the hype and expectations put on Bhijon coming in as a freshman are the same being put on Sosa now. People expect these kids to impact the SEC like Clowney did a few years ago. I just think a guy like Clowney is a once in a generation type player. I think both Bhijon and Sosa will be very good and maybe even great players before they leave Arkansas but at their position, it's very rare to be great the first or even second year. Just my opinion.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: ballinhog on August 29, 2016, 12:50:53 pm
I bet Jackson would make a heck of an offensive lineman
Too short...

BigSexyHog

Love it... our fans at it again.  Certain player isn't living up to their expectations and I am gonna start questioning that player for being overhyped.  Pretty typical Arkansas fans.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Maximus Tusk on August 29, 2016, 02:38:52 pm
I remember all the hype and expectations put on Bhijon coming in as a freshman are the same being put on Sosa now. People expect these kids to impact the SEC like Clowney did a few years ago. I just think a guy like Clowney is a once in a generation type player. I think both Bhijon and Sosa will be very good and maybe even great players before they leave Arkansas but at their position, it's very rare to be great the first or even second year. Just my opinion.
IMO different cases, I saw BJ on the field first time and thought maybe. Saw Sosa and thought there is no doubt

JRHoward

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL link=topic=616046.msg10406794#msg10406794 Thank You for a voice of Reason....date=1472495992
I totally agree with Klubhouse.  An offensive line must act as a cohesive unit.  Five working as one. You hear the call, go to the line, get the adjustment call, and carry out your assignment.  There is a need for consistency. 

Defensive line also has assignments, but is more situational and reactive.  There are certain packages for particular down and distances.  It helps keep everyone fresh. Players will rotate in and out constantly.   It has always amazed me how a long drive causes fatigue for the defensive line, but actually makes an OLine stronger.  There's a psychology to it that I can't figure out, but it's there.
Woooo Pig!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 29, 2016, 03:28:30 pm
Love it... our fans at it again.  Certain player isn't living up to their expectations and I am gonna start questioning that player for being overhyped.  Pretty typical Arkansas fans.

We're pretty typical about a lot of things, doesn't have a thing to do with "Arkansas" though.  Even you are typical in you on way. 

As for the o-line question it's the difference in being the brick wall and moving the brick wall.  The difference in moving something and guiding something.  The difference in knowing and guessing, etc etc... 

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 29, 2016, 05:19:03 pm
IMO different cases, I saw BJ on the field first time and thought maybe. Saw Sosa and thought there is no doubt

Barring injury Sosa is destined to dominate before his college career is over.

tophawg19

BJ has cross trained for both DT spots but is better for the traditional teams . Against pass first teams we will work to get extreme speed on D LINE . You may even see Ramsey- de , Sosa-DT , Ledbetter -dt  and Wise - DE to get awesome pressure
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bennyl08

Seems like he is facing the same problems Hodge faced. He still has one of the quickest first steps I've seen for a player his size. However, Hodge faced trouble staying conditioned enough to be anything but a rotational player until his final year. I believe though I've slept many times since then, that coach has mentioned a similar issue with Jackson.

That being said, he could be the best NG in the world right now and able to run 10 miles without losing breath and he wouldn't be starting this year for us due to us going for a faster, lighter scheme on the DL. He'll still get situational and rotational playing time.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Boarhog63

Spot on.

al_pigcino

I watched multiple games when BJ was at El Dorado and Agim at Hope.....I thought BJ had one of the most explosive, initial power moves I've seen in a true big man.  His 10 yard bursts were amazing for someone at his size.  Agim was roughly 75lbs lighter playing.  They are totally different athletes.  It would be like comparing Clowney to Julio Jones. 

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 30, 2016, 07:55:02 am
I watched multiple games when BJ was at El Dorado and Agim at Hope.....I thought BJ had one of the most explosive, initial power moves I've seen in a true big man.  His 10 yard bursts were amazing for someone at his size.  Agim was roughly 75lbs lighter playing.  They are totally different athletes.  It would be like comparing Clowney to Julio Jones.

Or like comparing a D-tackle and a Rush End

hoglady

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 29, 2016, 01:12:18 pm

Back when Michael Smith was on the air - I remember him discussing exactly this.
He did not like to see subbing in at all on the Oline. Said it just messed up the chemistry needed to be a really good unit.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FineAsSwine

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 29, 2016, 09:22:36 pm
That being said, he could be the best NG in the world right now and able to run 10 miles without losing breath and he wouldn't be starting this year for us due to us going for a faster, lighter scheme on the DL. He'll still get situational and rotational playing time.

If this is true and had he known that during recruiting, I doubt he would have come here. And if so, would be hard to blame him.

hei5manhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 29, 2016, 12:18:01 pm
Depth chart issues or not, im glad he decided to play on the hill. His counter part took his talents to bama and he hasn't seen meaningful minutes yet

JF is a true junior, and has largely wasted two years of eligibility. Could have been contributing and growing with real reps here. He's the backup nose guard this season. He'll probably be a contributor finally. I doubt Bijohn would have been on the field there either, but he's at least seen real battle in the trenches.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/breaking_down_alabamas_new_dep.html
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22