Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth chart?

Started by neilj17, August 29, 2016, 08:54:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Adam Stokes on August 29, 2016, 01:03:31 pm
Something that jumped out to me was that Froholdt was already first team on the line, which is impressive considering it is his first year playing on the offensive side of the ball, (if memory serves me correctly). Probably a bit of both, but does this lean more to how good Hjalte has adjusted or how thin we are at O-line?

The answer to your question is yes.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

Something that jumped out to me was that Froholdt was already first team on the line, which is impressive considering it is his first year playing on the offensive side of the ball, (if memory serves me correctly). Probably a bit of both, but does this lean more to how good Hjalte has adjusted or how thin we are at O-line?

Froholdt moved over to Oline and took the guard spot and hasn't moved since.... every other position has been switched and flipped all around. I think its a sign that Froholdt is 1) consistent, 2) coachable, 3) physically gifted... I bet we see him make a few assignment issues early in the year, but that is about as good of a sign as you could hope from a sophmore playing Oline for the first time.

swinesation

Just poking a little fun at you Adam, but you been busy doing something else the last couple of weeks?  ;D

woodhog14

Quote from: swinesation on August 29, 2016, 12:22:17 pm
Pretty sure I've heard BB make some comments about Reed needing to improve his approach on and off the field.

It's more because of Reed's ankle injury. He has missed a week and a half of practice. BB said he should be good to go in practice this week.

Biggus Piggus

Here we are at another moment of truth.

Let me remind you of something.

2, 8, 4, 0, 5, 2, -5, 26, 5, 3, 1, 2, -2, 7, 70

7, 3, 6, -1, 4, 8, 3, 4, 3, 1, 1, 0, 4, 2, 6, -2, 1, 0, 1

Those are Arkansas's first- and second-half rushing gains/losses against UTEP in last season's opener.

The passing game was so deadly (Brandon Allen 14-18 for 308 yards and four touchdowns) that the running game hardly mattered. And the Razorbacks started the second half grabbing an interception and fumble within a few yards of the goal line, resulting in easy TD runs.

But stat-geeks like me were concerned that, out of 34 rushing attempts, only two plays went for more than 10 yards. Sixteen gained 2 yards or fewer.

Alex Collins had only 12 carries, and he was rested after getting enough yardage to keep him on track for a good season total. He got there, though, only because of a weird broken play that allowed Collins to gain 70 useless yards at the end of the first half.

UTEP played into the Hogs' hands by keeping with its run-first game plan and getting stuffed. But the Miners' QBs completed 14 of 19 (74%), which helped them convert 7 of 14 third downs. The only sack came with third-string, running QB Kavika Johnson in the game, very late in the fourth quarter.

The Miners coughed up two TOs deep on their end to begin the second half, enabling Arkansas to coast to the end.

Under the covers of a 48-13 win were signs of trouble, and they only got worse in week two. Toledo.

What were the season-beginning concerns last season?

Who was the pass rusher, with the two best from 2014 gone?

How would the defense fare with Brooks Ellis at WLB, Josh Williams at MLB, and Khalia Hackett at SLB?

Are the safeties good enough?

Could Denver Kirkland play left tackle well?

What would the running game be like without Jonathan Williams?

How long would it take for Dan Enos's offense to get to speed?

And the ever-present questions about the kicking game.

This season:

We have former walk-on Karl Roesler starting at rush end, and is that good? But the defense appears to have much more of a chance to get inside pressure, while Deatrich Wise is a force vs. being fairly invisible early in 2015.

The linebacker situation looks better, with sophomore Dre Greenlaw drawing copious praise from coaches + the depth chart looking more than usable.

Arkansas appears to have three starting-quality safeties, but we'll see if they are up to SEC standards.

Dan Skipper is now the left tackle, and his coaches swear he's up to the challenge.

We don't know whether Arkansas has lost something it can't replace with the departure of Alex Collins, but the running back depth chart features more speed (at least until people start getting beaten up). And we still do not know how many games Kody Walker will play.

With a "new" fourth-year starting quarterback and plenty of skilled talent, Enos expects his offense to be good right away.

And the ever-present questions about the kicking game.
[CENSORED]!

RyanLR

It's almost upon us. I think with the D-Line depth that we have; you're really looking at 10 guys that could start, and will rotate constantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 defensive ends on the field on third downs, which is basically what they're hinting at with Sosa-Ledbetter at tackle. Man it feels nice to actually have some linebacker depth finally (knock on wood).

Biggus Piggus

For funsies, here is what a good running game looks like - 2014, Arkansas at Texas Tech.

First half rushes: 1, 7, 7, 6, 11, 13, 7, 0, 9, 2, 0, 9, 2, 2, 21, 13, 8, 5, 5, 15, 6, 5, 10, 2, 1, -1, -16, 1

Second half rushes: 9, 6, -1, 9, 1, 21, 2, 5, 5, 1, 5, 10, 7, 10, 6, 6, 8, 4, 6, 4, 9, 9, 1, 7, 1, 84, 6, 4, 5, 4, 7, 8, 11, 4, 1, 2, 4

65 total carries
6.8 yards per carry
11 carries for 10+ yards
18 carries for 2 or fewer yards (28% of total attempts)
7 touchdowns

It is hard to imagine Dan Enos ever doing what Jim Chaney did in that game, calling rushing plays on every play of a drive even in the first half. Part of the reason why Arkansas won at Lubbock two years ago was the offensive strategy to not give the ball right back to Tech, ever.
[CENSORED]!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 29, 2016, 02:25:32 pm
For funsies, here is what a good running game looks like - 2014, Arkansas at Texas Tech.

First half rushes: 1, 7, 7, 6, 11, 13, 7, 0, 9, 2, 0, 9, 2, 2, 21, 13, 8, 5, 5, 15, 6, 5, 10, 2, 1, -1, -16, 1

Second half rushes: 9, 6, -1, 9, 1, 21, 2, 5, 5, 1, 5, 10, 7, 10, 6, 6, 8, 4, 6, 4, 9, 9, 1, 7, 1, 84, 6, 4, 5, 4, 7, 8, 11, 4, 1, 2, 4

65 total carries
6.8 yards per carry
11 carries for 10+ yards
18 carries for 2 or fewer yards (28% of total attempts)
7 touchdowns

It is hard to imagine Dan Enos ever doing what Jim Chaney did in that game, calling rushing plays on every play of a drive even in the first half. Part of the reason why Arkansas won at Lubbock two years ago was the offensive strategy to not give the ball right back to Tech, ever.
I also bet we don't see 50+ passing attempts anymore as we did during the Toledo game. 

bennyl08

Quote from: swinesation on August 29, 2016, 11:48:55 am
Kinda seems laughable for Hollister to be listed as starter equal with Cornelius and ahead of Reed. He's not in their hemisphere as a player. This is obviously one of those instances where coaches are rewarding the kid who has done everything thing and challenging those who haven't. Anybody that thinks Hollister will end the season with as many yards, catches, or TD's as Cornelius or Reed hasn't been paying attention.

Reed must really be slacking to not be listed first team. I guess they can afford to send a message to him because they've got plenty of talent to fill the void - Morgan, Hatcher, & Cornelius (& apparently Jordan Jones) are all SEC quality receivers.

Laughable, hemisphere, obvious, attention?

Lets look at the story here. Hollister comes in as a JUCO iirc with 3 to play 3 in 2014. In his first year here:

Hollister: 13 rec, 137 yards, 1 td. Morgan who was already on his second year here only had 10 receptions for 181 yards and 1 td. In one year, Hollister had more receptions in a season than Morgan could get in his second year and tied for td's. Not knocking Morgan, just showing what he was able to do his first year. Cornelius in his first year certainly wasn't showing other hemispherely talent racking up 18 receptions for 212 yards and 2 td's. Impressive sure, but not laughably superior by any stretch.

Fast forward to 2015: Hollister had been tearing it up in spring practices and summer camp, looking to be a major contributor as our third main receiver behind Hatcher and Cornelius. All 3 of those players went down with injury with only Cornelius being lucky enough to come back from his.

Fast forward to the present: Same story with Hollister tearing it up in camp. Barring injury, I doubt he outplays Hatcher or Cornelius, but he isn't that far behind. He offers us a big bodied receiver that nobody else does. Now Reed would probably be higher on the chart if it weren't for him coming off an injury, but "it is what it is". We have 5 receivers who could all be playing in the NFL next year if Cornelius declares early and Hollister shows on the field what he has in practice.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse