Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any chance we win the whole thing this year?

Started by checkraiser88, August 27, 2016, 11:21:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardcore Hoggy

I'll be happy if we start strong, and finally, finally beat Alabama.

j-mann

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 30, 2016, 12:20:12 am
I don't think there's a fan base more deserving of a national championship, seriously.
+1
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on August 30, 2016, 08:05:35 am
The problems with last year's defense were primarily in the secondary and talent wasn't the problem. There were coaching issues back there and they were solved when the DB coach was let go and Paul Rhoades was hired. As a result, this year defense will be greatly improved from what it was last year.

A lot of less talented Secondaries are coached up to be in better position from an alignment standpoint and perform quite well from a technical standpoint. The truly elite talent that is coached up can produce Secondaries that truly limit the competitions passing game and have the ability to respond quickly, come up and be run stoppers. Those are few and far between.

And the problem last year wasn't limited to the Secondary, it was the scheme that we played up front, being committed to stopping the run and at least in the case of Wise, being injured most of the year and only coming on late to be able to go all out in applying pressure in passing situations, which of course, helps the Secondary and LB's in pass coverage.

Add to that the fact that our LB's played too many snaps due to a lack of depth and in pass coverage, were not very effective, causing the Secondary to not only have to worry about their responsibilities, but having to try to cover for the LB's as well.

There were lots of issues, many of which I hope have been eliminated with another year of experience, better physical health and strength and an infusion of depth that may help the situation.

But I do agree that the quality of coaching in the Secondary was greatly improved over the off season.

Our DE's are healthy for the first time to begin a season in a while so they should be loaded for bear. We have gone to slimmed down and quicker DT's that appear to be dual-Philon's inside and for the first time in a long time it seems we may have found true (even if young) quality depth at LB.

Things are looking up and I am optimistic at this point. Of course we can all be optimistic at this point since a game has yet to be played. Time and game reps will tell the story but I do think that our Secondary play will be more aggressive and challenging this year than in recent years in the past.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: checkraiser88 on August 27, 2016, 11:21:27 pm
The home schedule we have this year is unbelievable!! Our defense will be better and the offense still has Enos! I say we lose 1 game this year and win the SEC championship and head to the playoffs baby!

Yes, there's definitely a chance as not one game has been played yet....   I'm definitely hopeful....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HawgQuest

I think if the hogs win their first four games then the answer is "yes" they can make it to Atlanta. I start out believing they can have a great season if they prove themselves early on.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 31, 2016, 08:14:20 pm
A lot of less talented Secondaries are coached up to be in better position from an alignment standpoint and perform quite well from a technical standpoint. The truly elite talent that is coached up can produce Secondaries that truly limit the competitions passing game and have the ability to respond quickly, come up and be run stoppers. Those are few and far between.

And the problem last year wasn't limited to the Secondary, it was the scheme that we played up front, being committed to stopping the run and at least in the case of Wise, being injured most of the year and only coming on late to be able to go all out in applying pressure in passing situations, which of course, helps the Secondary and LB's in pass coverage.

Add to that the fact that our LB's played too many snaps due to a lack of depth and in pass coverage, were not very effective, causing the Secondary to not only have to worry about their responsibilities, but having to try to cover for the LB's as well.

There were lots of issues, many of which I hope have been eliminated with another year of experience, better physical health and strength and an infusion of depth that may help the situation.

But I do agree that the quality of coaching in the Secondary was greatly improved over the off season.

Our DE's are healthy for the first time to begin a season in a while so they should be loaded for bear. We have gone to slimmed down and quicker DT's that appear to be dual-Philon's inside and for the first time in a long time it seems we may have found true (even if young) quality depth at LB.

Things are looking up and I am optimistic at this point. Of course we can all be optimistic at this point since a game has yet to be played. Time and game reps will tell the story but I do think that our Secondary play will be more aggressive and challenging this year than in recent years in the past.

I'll add this: Other than losing a Freshman Defensive back for the season (I really hate that for the young man), this Hog team is healthy and at full strength. That wasn't the case this time last year. Granted, Dean likely won't play this week but he seems possible to return to action very soon.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Augustus

Quote from: GuvHog on August 30, 2016, 08:05:35 am
The problems with last year's defense were primarily in the secondary and talent wasn't the problem. There were coaching issues back there and they were solved when the DB coach was let go and Paul Rhoades was hired. As a result, this year defense will be greatly improved from what it was last year.

Care to revisit this, today?

In fact, there's  a  lot  of statements in this thread, may need revisiting

HogMantheIntruder

1-0... Right???? No? Okay, ya we're not going to win it all this year.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ricepig

Quote from: Augustus on September 04, 2016, 03:01:42 pm
Care to revisit this, today?

In fact, there's  a  lot  of statements in this thread, may need revisiting

So, if we average giving up 20pts a game, you won't be happy?

Augustus

Quote from: ricepig on September 04, 2016, 03:46:40 pm
So, if we average giving up 20pts a game, you won't be happy?

Giving up 20 points/game to a C-USA team, is one thing to worry about.

I'm MORE worried about how a C-USA team MANHANDLED our offensive line... and just imagine what an SEC defense will do to us.

Our O-line better get it together, before Austin Allen gets murdered.

lutherheggs

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 30, 2016, 11:37:37 pm
Saban doesn't answer "what if" scenario questions.

If Arkansas does in fact start 5-0, which is, as of now, a what if scenario question, Saban will not have an answer.

Therefore the Hogs will start 6-0.  The remainder of your discussion is pointless after the Hogs beat Bama.  8)
Glad you placed a smiley face emoji after your comment about beating Alabama. That way, I know you are not serious.

Mike_e

We're still undebeated so there's still a chance.

If it ain't a no, ya know, it might be a yes.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!