Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

According to ESPN, Arkansas has never won a nat'l championship

Started by STLhawg, August 26, 2016, 12:33:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

STLhawg

From http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods:

"25. Arkansas Razorbacks | 6.42

Arkansas is without a Heisman Trophy or a national championship. The Razorbacks have never won an SEC conference title and won 13 conference crowns while a member of the Southwest Conference."

:puke: ESPN

KlubhouseKonnected

Well ESPN kind of sees things their own way, especially from the time before ESPN existed.

Of course we got our 64 title the way BAMA got a lot of theirs... we claimed it.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hogman64

we were  given a version of the NC just like Alabama was given a version in 1964

we were undefeated they were not.

We beat the team that beat them.

we beat two teams ranked higher than any team Alabama beat.

sounds like a NC team to me.

my guess is the espn person doesn't know any of that but that doesn't stop him/her from saying
we haven't won a NC, don't let the facts get in the way....

factchecker

Back then the AP and UPI crowned it's champion before the bowl games.  Both Arkansas and Bama were undefeated prior to the bowl games so of course the AP and UPI bent over for the Bear and give the Tide a title.  Arkansas went on to beat Nebraska and Bama lost to Texas, a team whom Arkansas beat earlier in the season.  The Football Writers Association of America voted us as champions so that gives us at least a share of the title.

Funny/sad/maddening enough... the system of choosing the champion was changed a year later. 

I really wouldn't expect any different today.  I hope the SEC prestige would protect us but it wouldn't surprise me that if we went undefeated and won the SEC that the playoff committee would say the conference was down and would pull some bullchit like putting a one loss Texass in over us.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogwild

The NCAA does not officially recognized any FBS national champions. That website just lists teams that have claimed a national title, USC is on there in '03 & '04 for 'titles' that were stripped because of Bush.

QuoteThe NCAA has nothing to do with crowning major college football champions. FCS has its own playoff administered by the association. But since 1936, things have been largely subjective at the highest level.

The NCAA's web page listing national champions is just that -- a web page. It is the regurgitation of a list gleaned from somewhere else.
It's also something different than what is listed in the association's football records book.
If you're confused, don't even look at 2004. That year the NCAA website lists a title vacated by the BCS and ignored by the coaches' poll.
In fact, the NCAA had every reason to snub USC.

But in that records book, Auburn was one of four "champions" from 1993. That despite being ineligible for the SEC championship and a bowl because of NCAA improprieties.
Yes, much of this discussion is selective recall. Given the long, sordid infractions history of Auburn, it's strange to see some Tigers referencing the NCAA for championship credibility.

There are 39 polls/indexes on that NCAA website naming champions all the way back to 1869. It's silly enough to believe that Princeton is recognized as a "champion" for beating Rutgers in that first game 144 years ago (so says the National Championship Foundation).

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm pretty sure that in the 100 or so seasons that college football has been played and champions have been crowned, there have been 436 national champions.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 26, 2016, 07:11:31 am
I'm pretty sure that in the 100 or so seasons that college football has been played and champions have been crowned, there have been 436 national champions.
This. Right. Here.

oldbear

The list was compiled by 10 people from espn. If ten others were chosen, the list would look different. Good fodder for discussion but nothing to sweat. WPS!

rljjr

We also were declared the National Champs in the 77 season, beating OU in the 78 Orange Bowl. Who made that declaration?

Me -- and it's still more legit than the Bama title they claimed in 1941.

Hogwild

QuoteAlabama actually claims an MNC for this season, despite the fact that they were 9-2, ranked #20 in the AP poll, and they finished tied for 5th in the SEC with 8-2 Vanderbilt, who beat them.

This has to be the worst MNC claim of all time, utterly senseless. The claim is based on Alabama finishing #1 in the relatively obscure Houlgate math formula, and it is the only MNC claim a school has made based on Houlgate (Sagarin is far more respected, and no school claims an MNC based on Sagarin).

No school has ever rescinded an MNC claim, so I suppose Alabama is stuck with this one, but it seems to me that it would be much less embarrassing for Alabama to rescind the claim than to continue with their ridiculous "1941 national champions" charade.

ZERO

Quote from: rljjr on August 26, 2016, 08:28:39 am
We also were declared the National Champs in the 77 season, beating OU in the 78 Orange Bowl. Who made that declaration?

Me -- and it's still more legit than the Bama title they claimed in 1941.

We Arkansas fans generally never claim the '77 championship, but it IS a legitimate claim from at least one source. It's just we, unlike Bama, realize we weren't truly the champions in 1977, but were in 1964. It's funny how we never claim it even though we could use it more than Bama, but only when we're trying to prove a point.

And they call us a delusional fan base.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

31to6

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 26, 2016, 12:37:46 am
Well ESPN kind of sees things their own way, especially from the time before ESPN existed.

Of course we got our 64 title the way BAMA got a lot of theirs... we claimed it.
If we used Alabama math we'd have at least 3.

bphi11ips

There has been widespread agreement for 50 years that Arkansas was the NC in 1964.  For a major news source to claim otherwise is silly.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

Quote from: ZERO on August 26, 2016, 09:22:25 am
We Arkansas fans generally never claim the '77 championship, but it IS a legitimate claim from at least one source. It's just we, unlike Bama, realize we weren't truly the champions in 1977, but were in 1964. It's funny how we never claim it even though we could use it more than Bama, but only when we're trying to prove a point.

And they call us a delusional fan base.

I agree with you.

Hogwild

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 26, 2016, 10:26:54 am
There has been widespread agreement for 50 years that Arkansas was the NC in 1964.  For a major news source to claim otherwise is silly.

That's the most frustrating thing about all of this.  Now because of these schools claiming every podunk  title they can, sometimes 50 years after the fact, the major outlets are going with "consensus national titles". Since our title wasn't awarded by the AP, Coaches(UPI), BCS, or Playoff, it isn't considered a consensus title.

Just look at our conference, Kentucky just won the 1950 national title in July.  A&M won their first title (AP) in 1939, now they claim three title, the most recent being 1939.  Auburn which recognized their two consensus titles ('57 &'10) attempted to add three more including 1983 & 1993, but the backlash was too great so the AD abandoned the idea. Ole Miss has trophies that they didn't even win. So now the media is lumping our title in with-

QuoteCongratulations on winning three AFCA Coaches trophies (sponsored by ADT), Coach Freeze.

A remarkable achievement, considering ADT only sponsored the AFCA Coaches Trophy (awarded to the winner of the Coaches' Poll, which is by contract the winner of the BCS National Championship) from 2003 until 2005, meaning the Rebels put together a national title threepeat. Many had believed the national champions of those seasons to be LSU, USC, and Texas, but this tweet has demonstrated the SEC's title streak is already a decade strong.

HillBillyHogfan

According to ESPN Kaitlin Jenner has "courage" and is worthy of an award named after Jimmy V... According to ESPN Chris Berman is a good sportscaster... According to ESPN Mantai Te'o's girlfriend's death inspired him to play harder.
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

razorbackmarine

Just google, "1964 national champions"

That satisfies me

RedSkiesAtNightHog

We need Wizard of Hogs to send the ESPN writer his famous post explaining all the parameters of the 1964 National Championship and the reasoning as to why Arkansas has the most legitimate claim for the title that year! 

My gosh, when you get a national poll to change their system the very next year (post Bowls), what more proof do you need?

Bubba's Bruisers

Don't care what supposedly happened 52 years ago.  52 years.  More than 5 decades. 

Time to win one now.  Way overdue.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

code red

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 26, 2016, 01:37:35 pm
Don't care what supposedly happened 52 years ago.  52 years.  More than 5 decades. 

Time to win one now.  Way overdue.
So true
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

shortend

What did you expect?  According to Ryan McGee Arkansas will never win the SEC Championship.
"Egotism is the anesthetic that deadens the pain of stupidity." - Knute Rockne

TNRazorbacker

It's 1964. The fact that anyone gives a shrit speaks volumes to our mediocrity over the last few decades.

plumbhog

Then in 65 they changed the rules and did not name a national champion till after the bowl games. We ended the regular season undefeated again but lost our bowl game to LSU.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

HamIAm

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on August 27, 2016, 02:27:21 am
It's 1964. The fact that anyone gives a shrit speaks volumes to our mediocrity over the last few decades.

What I was thinking too. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HamIAm

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 27, 2016, 09:43:58 am
What I was thinking too. 

The fact that you think this way tells me you are still relatively young.  Enjoy your time, but don't demean the accomplishments of the past.

AirWarren

I can agree with those. It's like high schools claiming state titles. In 1964, it was the same way. No legitimate way of determining a true "national champion".

So, I know all the older people will get mad and cry for a lynching. But as a younger hog fan, that "championship" isn't significant to me.

Hogwild

Quote from: plumbhog on August 27, 2016, 05:40:43 am
Then in 65 they changed the rules and did not name a national champion till after the bowl games. We ended the regular season undefeated again but lost our bowl game to LSU.

In 1965, top ranked Michigan State would lose to UCLA in the Rose Bowl while #2 Arkansas was upset by Louisiana State in the Cotton Bowl, #4 Alabama defeated #3 Nebraska and vaulted to consecutive national titles. 

Michigan State was named the national champions by the coaches, via the UPI poll, who still conducted their voting prior to the bowl games. This would lead to the first split national title since the 1957 season (Auburn and Ohio State). In an attempt to avoid disputed national titles the Associated Press, would revert to pre-bowl voting until both organization agreed to post bowl voting in 1968.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HamIAm on August 27, 2016, 10:00:03 am
The fact that you think this way tells me you are still relatively young.  Enjoy your time, but don't demean the accomplishments of the past.

Not demeaning anything.  I'd like some more recent accomplishments, though.  It's unfortunate that 1964 is still about the only thing we have to point to as being a meaningful accomplishment.  Other than beating OU in 1977 it seems.  That's not demeaning the accomplishment.  It's recognizing the following 5+ decades of overall mediocrity.

Quote from: AP85 on August 27, 2016, 10:02:16 am
I can agree with those. It's like high schools claiming state titles. In 1964, it was the same way. No legitimate way of determining a true "national champion".

So, I know all the older people will get mad and cry for a lynching. But as a younger hog fan, that "championship" isn't significant to me.

And if I recall, there were several organizations at the time who declared the champion.  I think we were only recognized as champs by one of those.  So, I assume when ESPN declares that we don't have a NC, they are probably siting a different source.  Sort of like recruiting services.  They all rank the recruits a little differently.  Fans generally gravitate to the service that ranks their recruits the highest.

Pig In The City

I'm pretty sure it doesn't really matter. It is all about what have you done lately.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on August 26, 2016, 11:48:21 am
According to ESPN Kaitlin Jenner has "courage" and is worthy of an award named after Jimmy V... According to ESPN Chris Berman is a good sportscaster... According to ESPN Mantai Te'o's girlfriend's death inspired him to play harder.
Homophobe ALERT!!!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on August 26, 2016, 01:24:00 pm
We need Wizard of Hogs to send the ESPN writer his famous post explaining all the parameters of the 1964 National Championship and the reasoning as to why Arkansas has the most legitimate claim for the title that year! 

My gosh, when you get a national poll to change their system the very next year (post Bowls), what more proof do you need?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=614800.msg10376046#msg10376046

Here's another good thread about this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=526777.0

That should give you all the ammunition you need.

arlhog

Gotta quit worrying about was espn says and go take care of our business.   We can't control what they say.  We can control what we do in the future.  We know what we have done and no one can take that away.

AirWarren

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 27, 2016, 10:11:59 am
Not demeaning anything.  I'd like some more recent accomplishments, though.  It's unfortunate that 1964 is still about the only thing we have to point to as being a meaningful accomplishment.  Other than beating OU in 1977 it seems.  That's not demeaning the accomplishment.  It's recognizing the following 5+ decades of overall mediocrity.

And if I recall, there were several organizations at the time who declared the champion.  I think we were only recognized as champs by one of those.  So, I assume when ESPN declares that we don't have a NC, they are probably siting a different source.  Sort of like recruiting services.  They all rank the recruits a little differently.  Fans generally gravitate to the service that ranks their recruits the highest.

I don't see it as demeaning. It's just the pitchfork crowd that comes a running if you have an opinion not of the popular one.

That is correct in how we acquired the "national championship".

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: AP85 on August 27, 2016, 12:53:35 pm
I don't see it as demeaning. It's just the pitchfork crowd that comes a running if you have an opinion not of the popular one.

That is correct in how we acquired the "national championship".

No, it is not correct; it's far too simplistic and factually incorrect in other ways (for example, in stating that Arkansas was named the mythical champion "by one of those"; in fact, we were designated Champion by more than any other team - we had seven such Championships in 1964.

whosiskid

One thing about 1964: while technically Alabama was national champs with some services, ALL of them changed because of the perceived unfairness to Arkansas. To me, that is like the couple of rating services who named the NC before the bowl games saying to Arkansas, "We are sorry. We got it wrong. We are changing it so that it won't happen again."

My first vivid memory of football was Arkansas beating Nebraska and then that night pulling hard for Texas to hold on the goal line against Joe Namath and Alabama (in retrospect, the least "Alabama" style player you can imagine). Absolutely no one that night had any doubts about what team nationally deserved the NC.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

holeinthewall

Quote from: hogman64 on August 26, 2016, 12:51:38 am
we were  given a version of the NC just like Alabama was given a version in 1964

we were undefeated they were not.

We beat the team that beat them.

we beat two teams ranked higher than any team Alabama beat.

sounds like a NC team to me.

my guess is the espn person doesn't know any of that but that doesn't stop him/her from saying
we haven't won a NC, don't let the facts get in the way....

AP & UPI were the two major polls at the time. The final poll was taken after the last regular season game and Bama was #1.  And was awarded the NC for 64. The changed the rules the next year making the final poll after the bowl game.   

98hogs

ESPN is too busy with the political correct culture to know football history.

AirWarren

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 28, 2016, 09:12:04 pm
No, it is not correct; it's far too simplistic and factually incorrect in other ways (for example, in stating that Arkansas was named the mythical champion "by one of those"; in fact, we were designated Champion by more than any other team - we had seven such Championships in 1964.

Ok.

cosmodrum

Alabama is the 1964 champ, based on the standard of the day. This isn't one they are "claiming." It was awarded to them. We "claim" it.

Sorry.
Go away, batin'

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 29, 2016, 12:35:50 pm
Alabama is the 1964 champ, based on the standard of the day. This isn't one they are "claiming." It was awarded to them. We "claim" it.

Sorry.

You, obviously, have not read my prior posts.  You may come back with some flip "too long didn't read" type comment, but until you DO read them, you are uninformed and your comment on this subject carries no weight.

One "teaser" . . . to say that Bama is the champ "based on the standard of the day" is NOT correct.  It would be correct to say they are the AP and UPI champs because of the "policy" those two polls had of not conducting a poll after the Bowls.  But the "standards of the day" mean much more than that.  Read the threads I have posted links to, and then come back and make an informed comment.  I'm sure you will learn - a lot - IF you go into the read with an open mind, seeking truth and not just trying to justify your (unfortunately, incorrect) position. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 29, 2016, 12:53:02 pm
You, obviously, have not read my prior posts.  You may come back with some flip "too long didn't read" type comment, but until you DO read them, you are uninformed and your comment on this subject carries no weight.

One "teaser" . . . to say that Bama is the champ "based on the standard of the day" is NOT correct.  It would be correct to say they are the AP and UPI champs because of the "policy" those two polls had of not conducting a poll after the Bowls.  But the "standards of the day" mean much more than that.  Read the threads I have posted links to, and then come back and make an informed comment.  I'm sure you will learn - a lot - IF you go into the read with an open mind, seeking truth and not just trying to justify your (unfortunately, incorrect) position. 

In which polls were we ranked #1 prior to the bowl games?
Go away, batin'

King Kong

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 29, 2016, 12:35:50 pm

Sorry.

Football Writers Association of America named us National Champions. Which by the standard of the day was a National Championship

cosmodrum

Quote from: King Kong on August 29, 2016, 01:15:19 pm

Football Writers Association of America named us National Champions. Which by the standard of the day was a National Championship

before or after the bowls
Go away, batin'