Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCU position by position

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 23, 2016, 10:55:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TCU is ranked higher than us, do you think we can beat them?

Yes
190 (80.9%)
No
23 (9.8%)
Frito Pie
22 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 235

gchamblee

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 09:47:12 am
TOP for Hogs in 2014 (in reverse chronological order):

41:10 W
27:17 L
34:01 W
31:54 W
38:56 L
34:58 W
34:54 L
34:13 L
37:00 L
34:38 W
40:39 W
25:50 W
27:17 L

I see no correlation between TOP and winning & losing.

Max 41:10 (WIN)
Min  25:50 (WIN)

I see 2-2 at somewhere between 34 and 35 minutes. A win and a loss with around 38 minutes. If you try to draw conclusions about whether a team wins or loses from TOP, then you are basically flipping a coin.

TOP is a meaningless stat. You wear people down by running lots of plays, not holding on to the football while standing in the huddle for 15-20 seconds between plays.

In 2014 we were not very good at finishing drives with points. It is well known in football that TOP is very important. The primary reason is if you are keeping their offense off of the field, you are able to keep the score close. If you are in the game in the 4th quarter you can find a way to win. However, if you cant finish drives, like in 2014, the TOP doesn't help you win, it just keeps you from getting blown out. To dismiss the importance of TOP in football seems like a bad play when trying to win an argument.

a0ashle

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 09:57:30 am
Surface metric? Really? I am looking for correlation between winning (or losing) and TOP. There isn't one. To boil it down to the most basic, if you had to look at a stat to determine who won a football game without knowing the score, you would not choose TOP.

Why? - Because there is no correlation between winning and TOP.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/09/time-of-possession.html

Deciding that a metric's usefulness is only tied to its ability to predict a winner... also only looking at the surface. Using a single season of games (12) as a sample size for determining that predictive capability, also only looking at the surface.

I don't know if TOP has predictive capability on W's and L's, but a defense that gets to sit on the sideline for a long drive, is much better off when they get back on the field. If one team holds the ball longer... the other team has less possessions. If you get up ahead by 2 touchdowns... and you can guarantee your opponent will only have 1 more possession... the game is in the bag.

TOP is not the whole story, its a fragment, a glimpse, into the whole story. When people are talking about TOP they aren't saying "hey we need to get to 40:00 minutes and we win", but you can look at TOP and it can give you within reasonable threshold an idea of whether we, as a ball control built offense, did what we wanted to do.

razorsharptusk

Seem's the verdict in the media is split.  Can our secondary shut down the pass?  Yet to be seen.  I think this first game will help to shed some light as our secondary will be tested often.
GO HOGS!!

Russ22

Quote from: gchamblee on August 30, 2016, 10:07:16 am
In 2014 we were not very good at finishing drives with points. It is well known in football that TOP is very important. The primary reason is if you are keeping their offense off of the field, you are able to keep the score close. If you are in the game in the 4th quarter you can find a way to win. However, if you cant finish drives, like in 2014, the TOP doesn't help you win, it just keeps you from getting blown out. To dismiss the importance of TOP in football seems like a bad play when trying to win an argument.

You make my point very explicitly - something else determines wins/losses. Maybe it's red zone efficiency, 3rd down conversion rate, 3rd & short efficiency, or turnover margin. Your argument is that not finishing drives is what caused the variation in TOP to not tell us anything. I say TOP doesn't tell us anything because it is a by-product stat. If you are "good at TOP", it is because you do something more fundamental well (e.g., 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down efficiency).
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

gchamblee

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 10:18:32 am
You make my point very explicitly - something else determines wins/losses. Maybe it's red zone efficiency, 3rd down conversion rate, 3rd & short efficiency, or turnover margin. Your argument is that not finishing drives is what caused the variation in TOP to not tell us anything. I say TOP doesn't tell us anything because it is a by-product stat. If you are "good at TOP", it is because you do something more fundamental well (e.g., 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down efficiency).

If you want to be stubborn and ignore the importance of TOP I will step aside and let you do it in peace brother.

a0ashle

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 10:18:32 am

Do you think the time it takes our offense to execute their possession is valuable time for our defense on the sideline? Its the answer to the problem why are up tempo teams defense so terrible...because their defense is on the field all the time. If you can conceded that it helps our defense, could you then concede that anything that helps our defense helps our team? I think helping our defense is critical, therefore us eating up clock is buying our defense time to recover and game plan.

Russ22

The number of snaps an offense has is going to determine how tired a defense gets. If your defense allows the offense to run play after play, then it will get tired. The real issue is 3rd down. If you stay on the field after 3rd down, your defense will wear out.

For all you TOP is everything guys, please tell me:

- Should defenders fall down after an INT or fumble recovery?
- Should you fair catch every punt?
- Should you never try to block a punt?
- Should you try to get a touchback on every kickoff?
- Should you call timeout when the other team has the ball in the middle of a quarter for no reason other than to stop the clock after a running play?
- Should your RBs and WRs fall down every time they gain sufficient yards for a 1st down?
- Should you snap the ball with 1 second left on the play clock every time?

This list will go a long way to winning the TOP battle in every game, and we KNOW that is very important, right?  I am sure that we can agree that doing all those things would be silly. If TOP is what really mattered, that would be what they put on the scoreboard instead of the actual score of the game.

Do I think sustaining a drive by an offense is better for a defense than punting after 3 or so plays? OF COURSE!

However, efficiency on offense (points per possession) tells you much more about who wins/loses than TOP.

What is better?
- 12 play, 7:00 drive with 0 points
- 6 play, 2:00 drive with 7 points

With the former, you will likely win the TOP battle for at least the half. With the latter, you are in a better position to win the game.

Are TOP and offensive efficiency mutually exclusive? No, actually the better running teams do both very well. If I were made to choose one or the other, I would prefer to be an efficient offense compared to just hanging on to the ball.

DeltaBoy

Hogs gig the Frogs. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

a0ashle

I think it will be a great game that will be won in the trenches. Hogs win 24-17.

thefisher

TOP just has to many unknown variables to be a reliable metric.  It does tell you something. However,  that information has so many caveats and contingencies that its consistency for evaluation does not really exist.

In my mind these are far more important -

If the Hogs can -

1. KEEP KEY PLAYERS HEALTHY!

2. TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL

3. NOT COMMIT COSTLY PENALTIES.
(Penalties stop drives, bring back scores, or give first downs to an opponent that was going to have to punt and give the ball back!).

If the Hogs do these three things they should beat TCU and potentially every opponent on the schedule.

Think about it.  If the team has its best players stay healthy this year, wins the turnover battle decisively each and every game, and does not stop themselves by committing costly penalties then it will be very difficult for any team to beat them.  True of any team they face.

An example scenario to make the point-

Let's say that the Hogs get three turnovers from Bama while commiting none. Arkansas has all its key players healthy and at full speed. On this day the Hogs play mistake/penalty free football while Bama has two drive killing penalties and commits another facemask that gives the Hogs an automatic first down when it was fourth.In this scenario it would be HIGHLY probable the Hogs win by 10-14 points. All big IFS ... but much more important stats than other issues.

The Hogs outcome on the season rests heavily on how they do in these three areas.  A lot of the rest of the stats will  be good information but have negligible effect on actual game outcomes.

Oh yeah. Key for the day A MUCH improved pass rush that forces hurried throws resulting in two pics plus a sack/fumble/recovery in the 4th quarter on TCU's last drive to ice the game.

Hogs in the upset 24-16.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 30, 2016, 09:17:27 am
Don't get your hopes up.  Hogs always lose a game or two they shouldn't and win one or two they shouldn't. 

And why look past ANY opponent and we have one before playing them. Usually only a few go undefeated and most lose to someone that on paper they probably should have beaten. That is why you play the game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on August 30, 2016, 09:41:35 am
Considering we will be the underdogs in this game, I guess that means we will either lose one we should, or win one we shouldnt. Enjoy your lemon.

I love lemon.

hoghiker

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 09:19:01 am
Please explain why controlling the clock matters. Is it because 10 possessions versus 14 possessions allows for more variance in the outcome or because it makes an butt whooping look closer on the scoreboard?
You serious Clark?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 30, 2016, 09:48:25 am
Can beat them? Yes
Will win? No

So who will win the third race on the second day of the fifth week at Oaklawn this coming season omnipotent one?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 30, 2016, 09:48:25 am
Can beat them? Yes
Will win? No

I think along these lines.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 30, 2016, 09:28:38 am
I agree with you. 

We have to light it up and shut them down.
Controlling the clock *IS* shutting them down. BP is gone. And you have no life, troll

hogcard1964

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Russ22 on August 30, 2016, 09:19:01 am
Please explain why controlling the clock matters. Is it because 10 possessions versus 14 possessions allows for more variance in the outcome or because it makes an butt whooping look closer on the scoreboard?

It provides for more variance as you put it.
Think of it this way although it is overly simplistic.
If you had a 60% chance to beat me on dice rolls, my best opportunity is to keep the roll down to one.
If we instead did a best of ten, the averages wold probably catch up with me, and I'd probably win 3 or 4 dice rolls and lose the best of ten.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Russ22

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 30, 2016, 04:42:01 pm
It provides for more variance as you put it.
Think of it this way although it is overly simplistic.
If you had a 60% chance to beat me on dice rolls, my best opportunity is to keep the roll down to one.
If we instead did a best of ten, the averages wold probably catch up with me, and I'd probably win 3 or 4 dice rolls and lose the best of ten.
I actually think that this is a legitimate view. Reducing the number of possessions introduces more randomness and allows for greater likelihood of upset. I think Brian Burke of Advanced NFL Stats looked at this prior to the Giants upset of the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

I have read a couple of coaches out there that promote the idea that anytime you are ahead, you should shorten the game and anytime you are behind, you lengthen it.

Here is my view: If you believe that you have the better team, then you should favor a longer game (more plays). The theory is that the better team (players) will win over the long term. Shorter games allow for more variation.

Basically, you are following this logic: If you get up at a blackjack table by a significant amount, pick up your chips and walk away (shorten the game) because over the long term the house will win.

swineology

The year we start fast, i'll pick us early

Frogs 42
Hogs 28

Biggus Piggus

In 2014:

Arkansas ran 68 times at Texas Tech, got 24 rushing first downs, punted once. Scored seven TDs, had five possessions with more than 10 plays. Controlled the football for 40:39. That's 30 secs per play (80 total plays).

Arkansas allowed Texas Tech 11 possessions. Kept Tech's average starting position to its own 27. Red Raiders scored four TDs, one after a Hog fumble. They punted four times and lost three turnovers.

In 2015:

Arkansas ran 43 times against Texas Tech, got 12 rushing first downs, punted once. Scored three TDs, two by air. Had three possessions with more than 10 plays. Controlled the football for 36:43. That's 34 seconds per play (64 total plays).

Arkansas allowed Texas Tech eight meaningful possessions + two kneel-downs that were more than borderline erotic for Kliffy. Tech's average starting position = own 24. Red Raiders scored five TDs. They never punted, threw two picks, missed a field goal.

What was the difference? Tech got one more touchdown. Arkansas failed to push some drives into the end zone. Went three and out on game-opening possession. Crossed midfield and threw a pick. Reached the Red Raiders' 5 and settled for a field goal. Reached their 5 again, got a flag, and missed a field goal. Ended the game with a fumble.

Run or pass, the Hogs failed on too many drives, couldn't run at will, went to RWIII on a critical third and goal at the TT 4 because Collins had run seven times on the drive (with a long gain of 6) and was gassed. Kody Walker was out again. Got a pass interference call on Hunter Henry when we thought he had scored a touchdown.

That was a game where you could point to the absence of Jonathan Williams as a deciding factor. But Arkansas was too bent on trying to run, settled for too many feeble gains and neglected its passing game.

Last season the Hogs should have scored 60+ on Texas Tech like Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State did. Or 40+ like Sam Houston State, TCU, Kansas State and Texas did. Or 30+ like Iowa State and West Virginia did.

The only team that scored less than Arkansas did was UTEP. Isn't that ridiculous? Maybe that is what you get when your head coach does not know how to delegate well enough. Bielema dictated the offensive game plan, and it was not smart. It caused defeat. I hope he has learned how to delegate responsibility for the offense. If the Hogs try the '15 Tech game plan at TCU, they will run too often, throw only when it's obvious, and lose.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbackramsfan

Can this entire thread be deleted?  All we need to be thinking about is Louisiana Tech. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 30, 2016, 06:06:13 pm
Can this entire thread be deleted?  All we need to be thinking about is Louisiana Tech. 

Sorry. Fortunately, I'm not playing this week. Have the freedom to look ahead all I wanna.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 30, 2016, 05:52:41 pm
In 2014:

Arkansas ran 68 times at Texas Tech, got 24 rushing first downs, punted once. Scored seven TDs, had five possessions with more than 10 plays. Controlled the football for 40:39. That's 30 secs per play (80 total plays).

Arkansas allowed Texas Tech 11 possessions. Kept Tech's average starting position to its own 27. Red Raiders scored four TDs, one after a Hog fumble. They punted four times and lost three turnovers.

In 2015:

Arkansas ran 43 times against Texas Tech, got 12 rushing first downs, punted once. Scored three TDs, two by air. Had three possessions with more than 10 plays. Controlled the football for 36:43. That's 34 seconds per play (64 total plays).

Arkansas allowed Texas Tech eight meaningful possessions + two kneel-downs that were more than borderline erotic for Kliffy. Tech's average starting position = own 24. Red Raiders scored five TDs. They never punted, threw two picks, missed a field goal.

What was the difference? Tech got one more touchdown. Arkansas failed to push some drives into the end zone. Went three and out on game-opening possession. Crossed midfield and threw a pick. Reached the Red Raiders' 5 and settled for a field goal. Reached their 5 again, got a flag, and missed a field goal. Ended the game with a fumble.

Run or pass, the Hogs failed on too many drives, couldn't run at will, went to RWIII on a critical third and goal at the TT 4 because Collins had run seven times on the drive (with a long gain of 6) and was gassed. Kody Walker was out again. Got a pass interference call on Hunter Henry when we thought he had scored a touchdown.

That was a game where you could point to the absence of Jonathan Williams as a deciding factor. But Arkansas was too bent on trying to run, settled for too many feeble gains and neglected its passing game.

Last season the Hogs should have scored 60+ on Texas Tech like Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State did. Or 40+ like Sam Houston State, TCU, Kansas State and Texas did. Or 30+ like Iowa State and West Virginia did.

The only team that scored less than Arkansas did was UTEP. Isn't that ridiculous? Maybe that is what you get when your head coach does not know how to delegate well enough. Bielema dictated the offensive game plan, and it was not smart. It caused defeat. I hope he has learned how to delegate responsibility for the offense. If the Hogs try the '15 Tech game plan at TCU, they will run too often, throw only when it's obvious, and lose.

The offense really became more dynamic last year when Bielema told Enos to stop being so conservative and go ahead make calls when he saw the opportunity present itself...or words to that effect. Was that pre or post Texas Tech? I think it was post-Texas Tech, but I have slept since then.
Go Hogs Go!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 30, 2016, 06:07:15 pm
Sorry. Fortunately, I'm not playing this week. Have the freedom to look ahead all I wanna.

I think it sends bad karma, the players can sense the vibes and feelings of the fans and they can sense if we're locked and ready to see us put a thrashing on La Tech or if we're looking ahead to TCU. 

Biggus Piggus

Crazy that our offense was slower paced -- wasted more time between snaps -- than it was in 2014, and in last year's game we were behind most of the game.

I believe Enos when he says he's found the right balance now. That Tech game wasn't it.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 30, 2016, 06:19:47 pm
I think it sends bad karma, the players can sense the vibes and feelings of the fans and they can sense if we're locked and ready to see us put a thrashing on La Tech or if we're looking ahead to TCU. 

Has not been much LaTech discussion. Why don't you start one.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

In 2014:

In 2015:

My, My, MY!

daBoar

In 2014:

The only team that scored less than Arkansas did was UTEP. Isn't that ridiculous?
As noted in ESPN today; the Hogs hung half a hundred on Ole Miss on the road.  Those early season losses last year were sure head-scratchers.

PonderinHog

Quote from: daBoar on August 30, 2016, 06:27:45 pm
As noted in ESPN today; the Hogs hung half a hundred on Ole Miss on the road.  Those early season losses last year were sure head-scratchers.
When did Dominique Reed become a factor?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 30, 2016, 06:21:11 pm
Crazy that our offense was slower paced -- wasted more time between snaps -- than it was in 2014, and in last year's game we were behind most of the game.

I believe Enos when he says he's found the right balance now. That Tech game wasn't it.

I really like CBB but that first month last year was not good. REALLY not good. Could have been a ten win season if we had been prepared and had a better game plan.

I trust he has learned his lesson from last year.

hamstring

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 30, 2016, 06:30:16 pm

The tenner game acually was his breakout game IMO.

rzrbackramsfan

I would say Tennessee and no earlier.  They were trying out jojo Robinson and Kendrick Edwards before reed.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 30, 2016, 06:58:55 pm
I really like CBB but that first month last year was not good. REALLY not good. Could have been a ten win season if we had been prepared and had a better game plan.

I trust he has learned his lesson from last year.
and not had half our starting skill players injured.

people forget that the majority of fall practice reps went to guys that were ended up not playing.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Rzback

August 31, 2016, 06:48:38 am #134 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:05:18 pm by Rzback
NM
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

MuskogeeHogFan

Reed's production last year by game:

Receptions      Yards      TD's          Rushes     Yards       TD's
A&M                       2               9          0                0            0            0
Tenn                      1               33         1                0            0            0
Ala                         3              77         1                0            0            0
Aub                        4              47         0                3            25           1
UT-Mar                   1              71          1                0            0            0
Ol Miss                   7              105         2               0             0            0
LSU                        3               83         1               0             0            0
MSU                       2               58          0              1            -1            0
Miz                         4               37         0               0             0            0
K-St                        1               15         0               0             0            0
                             28             535         6               4            24           1               
Go Hogs Go!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 30, 2016, 03:36:04 pm
Is that right?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-analysis-hogs-worst-enemy-loss-texas/

Turnovers trump all else when it comes to winning football games.  You can execute perfectly the first half, but if you cough it up several times in the second half you are going to have a difficult time. 

Overall, TOP has proven to be a factor in success. 

DeltaBoy

My only concern is that Patterson has those Frogs playing Tough in Fort Worth.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 31, 2016, 10:01:00 am
My only concern is that Patterson has those Frogs playing Tough in Fort Worth.

I have no doubt they'll give us their best, I just hope it's not enough.

Biggus Piggus

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Why-TCU-Will-Win-the-Big-12-This-Season-391685291.html

Read the article and tell me - does the author predict that TCU will lose to South Dakota State?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 24, 2016, 06:45:06 am
And when you are smaller(lighter) and perhaps quicker, what do you do when you face an offensive line that outweighs you by at least 25 lbs. per man? I think you try to take advantage of your quickness and run various stunts all night in an attempt to create confusion in a rebuilt offensive line. Whether on obvious pass or rush downs, you keep bringing all kinds games at them to clog up the line and break someone free to make a play.

Now the downside to that is that playing at such an elevated pace all game expends a lot of energy and I am not sure that TCU has enough quality depth among their front 7 (or 6 as the case may be), to maintain an effective pace the entire game.

If TCU is successful in creating confusion in our blocking scheme and/or our Tackles can't handle their DE's rush, then we are going to have problems and this game could be put solely on the shoulders of our defense. Even though they may be a significantly improved unit, I don't care for that scenario, in any game, not just this one.
I saw the 2014 Mizzou D-line manhandle our O-line all day long like we had roller skates on.

So any blanket statements that smaller, quicker D lines are zero match for us don't hold water in my opinion. In fact, I would go as far to say I feel we match up better with the likes of a Bama or LSU in the trenches.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Biggus Piggus

From the Frogs of War preview, count the mistakes:

"One of the marquee matchups of week two and a strong contender for hosting College Gameday, Bret Bielema's Razorbacks visit The Carter in the first installment of this home-and-home. Arkansas will be using the same ground-and-pound formula on offense that has been Bielema's calling card throughout his head coaching career, and the defense will certainly have its hands full with backs Rawleigh Williams and Kody Walker- especially considering they'll be breaking in a new quarterback with Junior Austin Allen. Arkansas only returns two starters on the offensive line, but things aren't going to look radically different there. On defense, six of the team's ten leaders in tackles return to a unit that should be improved over last year. The linebackers are the strength of the unit, and the biggest question for the Hogs in this game is whether the defensive line can get enough of a push to let the secondary make plays- something that hasn't been a strength under Bielema as of late. TCU should be favored in this game, but it may be closer than the line would suggest."
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

One can only hope that's what they prepare for.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2016, 03:14:59 pm
One can only hope that's what they prepare for.

Yeah - I'm certain that Arkansas's defensive line is better than TCU's. Linebackers the strength of the defense? AYSM?

Love the "ground and pound" narrowmindedness after Brandon Allen led the nation in QBR last season. Didn't even use the word "wide receiver," and left out the tight end angle too.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 03:20:58 pm
Yeah - I'm certain that Arkansas's defensive line is better than TCU's. Linebackers the strength of the defense? AYSM?

Love the "ground and pound" narrowmindedness after Brandon Allen led the nation in QBR last season. Didn't even use the word "wide receiver," and left out the tight end angle too.
Do they not get SEC football in Fort Worth?

Biggus Piggus

A Big 12 writer sent me a message saying the TCU staff has been excited about Kenny Hill all year. They believe he is going to be better than Boykin was. Very mobile and great passing touch.

He also said TCU changed its defensive line rotation to get ready for the Arkansas game, going bigger. Will be interesting to see how the new blocking scheme works against them.
[CENSORED]!

thefisher

Here are the stats that will really matter ... imho.

1. Did the Hogs keep all key players healthy.
2. Did the Hogs win the turnover battle.
3. Did the Hogs avoid committing drive killing penalties ... or drive sustaining penalties for TCU when they are on defense.

If the Hogs keep all key players healthy, win the turnover battle, don't stop their own drives with penalties, and don't sustain TCU drives with penalties then the probability that the Hogs win is near certain. Nothing is ver total certain in football but if they do those things consistently then very, very few teams will beat Arkansas this year.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 03:27:52 pm
A Big 12 writer sent me a message saying the TCU staff has been excited about Kenny Hill all year. They believe he is going to be better than Boykin was. Very mobile and great passing touch.

He also said TCU changed its defensive line rotation to get ready for the Arkansas game, going bigger. Will be interesting to see how the new blocking scheme works against them.

I heard a member of the media from Ft. Worth (didn't get who or who he worked for) on the radio here in Tulsa today say that TCU was kinda ho-hum on Hill and that he barely won the starting job. I'm not sure what that really means or even if this guy knew what he was talking about, but he sounded as if he was connected to the TCU program. He also said that Patterson had Hill on a "short leash". Again, that could be interpreted in a number of ways I guess but what I heard didn't come anywhere close to what you were told. Of course your communication was in private (phone, email or text I assume) and what I heard was in the public, so you never know how accurate it really was.
Go Hogs Go!