Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorbacks in the NFL

Started by bennyl08, July 31, 2016, 05:35:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 04, 2016, 12:35:14 pm
I think the bigger question for him this rookie season is what impact that tweaked hamstring will have. Those have a tendency to linger.

If all he had was stats to his name, I'd certainly be inclined to believe his success was primarily a function of the talent around him. However, the combine showed he has the raw talent himself. Further, you don't put up rushing numbers like he did against Bama just by having talent around you (for a refresher, 20 carries, 230 yards, 2 td's).

Attitude wise, I haven't seen anything negative. In the heat of the moment seconds after a game, he said he didn't feel like he was used enough and the coaches agreed with him. When it comes to work ethic, putting in the hours, staying out of trouble off the field, doing things right to keep his body healthy, he seems to have that down pat. NFL money can certainly change things, but I haven't seen anything to make him riskier than any other player going from college to NFL.

I'm one of those guys that puts less stock in combine numbers than most.  I know he's talented, but I guess I'm still waiting to be convinced of what he'll do at the pro level before I anoint him worthy of his high draft position.  As much as I love DMac, time has told us that he was drafted too high.  And while most agree now that Elliot's spouting off after the MSU game last year was nothing, it's a flag to me ... at least to indicate he may clash with coaches.  And that domestic assault allegation; may be nothing at all, but who knows?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 12:45:12 pm
I'm one of those guys that puts less stock in combine numbers than most.  I know he's talented, but I guess I'm still waiting to be convinced of what he'll do at the pro level before I anoint him worthy of his high draft position.  As much as I love DMac, time has told us that he was drafted too high.  And while most agree now that Elliot's spouting off after the MSU game last year was nothing, it's a flag to me ... at least to indicate he may clash with coaches.  And that domestic assault allegation; may be nothing at all, but who knows?

In a vacuum, they mean absolutely nothing. Look at the number of combine warriors who didn't amount to anything in the NFL. The list is high. Tape, by itself, means nothing because you aren't competing against mediocre college players in the NFL, you have to do it vs the best. Instead, you need the two in unison. I.e. The tape shows you whether or not the player is capable of translating his athletic potential to the field of play and how consistent he is when out there. Combine numbers are useful to then see if what they did on the field is possible to translate to the NFL. For example, if the player runs a 4.6 and is breaking long runs in college, you can be safe in assuming that will not be happening in the NFL. The third major thing, and IMO the most important, is the mind. This is something you can't really measure and is up to the interviewers and managers to decide. Does the person have the work ethic to succeed in the NFL and do they have the mental capacity to think fast enough at the NFL level? Plenty of people with the athleticism. Not a lot who can put it altogether into a complete package.

For example, a player with good tape and mentality will be a hard worker in the NFL, but without the combine numbers, will be too slow to do much. A player with numbers and tape but not mentality will be able to be an all pro, but isn't mature enough to work hard and will probably hand around a bit before fading off. A player with good mentality and numbers but not tape is very rare. Usually somebody like a Cassell who was buried on the depth chart or maybe a Knile who suffered with a lot of injuries.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Professor Psychosis

Jason Peters left Eagles practice with an injury today.  No word on how serious it is yet.

He's probably had the best Pro Hog career in recent memory, you just don't hear much about it because he's an offensive tackle.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 12:45:12 pm

DMac had a very productive year last year, injuries and all as he racked up 1000+ yards.    I think what hurt him is the team that surrounded him in Oakland for all those years.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

alohawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 11:37:18 am
Gurley's resume would have been better than Elliot's had it not been for his injuries in college.  And - save this for later if I turn out to be right - I'm not convinced that Elliot's college numbers weren't more the result of a dominant offensive line than his own once-in-a-generation talent.  The last few Ohio State running backs who made it to the league have been disappointments for the most part.  I think there's a chance that the same thing happens with Elliot.  Plus, I think he may turn out to have attitude issues.  Just a hunch.

I remember an OSU back in the 70's that was gonna tear the league up too. You can ask the Bengals about how that turned out.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Tevin Mitchel has missed a couple of practices with an undisclosed injury. I don't think he will play in tonight's game.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Herndon has also been absent from practice with an undisclosed injury making it harder for him to capitalize on Stevie Johnson's injury for playing time.

Brandon Allen has been looking good for a Rookie and is being talked about as a good chance of being on the active roster or at worst a lock for practice squad. Chris Smith, however, is still a bit of a man without a position and with Fowler back from injury, could be cut.

Flowers gets mentioned in most of the practice reports I've read in a positive manner. He could have a presence on the team this season. Derby has a harder chance, but not all is bad. Gronk and Bennett are obvious locks, but there isn't a ton of separation behind those two. I've read a lot of good stuff about Bryce Williams but CBB (the NFL's cbb...) mentioned Derby by name when talking about the TE's and how he has a better grasp on the expectations. Reports have shown that he has looked fluid catching the ball and has made some nice grabs, but also some bad drops as well.

JWill has been making the most of his opportunities, winning back favor after the dwi. With Carlos Williams suspended the first month, he has as good a chance as any to win the #2 spot behind shady, at least for the first month while the other williams is suspended.

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

bennyl08

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

RME

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2016, 01:25:02 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/former-arkansas-rb-alex-collins-has-big-day-during-seahawks-scrimmage

"Collins caught three passes out of the backfield, including a 50-yard touchdown reception against Seattle's No. 1 defensive unit."

If only he'd come back one more year to work on that.

Lol.

Professor Psychosis

Seahawks will play Chiefs Saturday at 3:30 Arkansas time.  It will be on the local Fox affiliate in NWA/Fort Smith, don't know about Little Rock area.  Good chance to see Collins in his first NFL action, even if it is preseason.

razorbackfan4life

Hopefully Alex has a long NFL career. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: factchecker on August 09, 2016, 01:35:04 am
http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/08/08/super-slow-mo-hunter-henry-skies-red-zone

Hunter Henry is going to be a great pro as long as he stays healthy.  You just can't get enough of watching this guy play.

bennyl08

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider-short/article-1/Prince-All-3-guys-responding-to-competition-at-center/ebe3f1eb-35dc-42be-b407-e79bdf44e0a0

Good article on the competition at center for the Lions which is the position Swanson currently holds.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-sign-WR-Cobi-Hamilton-on-Friday-46611354

Patriots worked out Cobi the other day, but it was the steelers looking to add depth who signed him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-ezekiel-elliott-wont-be-eased-into-offense-mcfadden-could-be-trade-bait/

Really, the title in the link above says it all

Brandon Allen continues to do well in practices. Truth will be in whether they keep Henne or if Allen goes to practice squad.

Greg ManChilds

Tonight's Preseason:

TB v. PHI -- Jason Peters

NO v. NE -- Derby, Flowers

CAR v. BAL -- Robert Thomas, Ryan Mallett

JAX v. NYJ -- BA, Chris Smith

DEN v. CHI -- Cam Jefferson

bennyl08

August 11, 2016, 05:06:26 pm #71 Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:48:25 pm by bennyl08
Quote from: Greg ManChilds on August 11, 2016, 03:44:41 pm
Tonight's Preseason:

Was v Atl: Spaight (50 Was)

TB v. PHI -- Jason Peters(71, PHI)

NO v. NE -- Derby (86 Pats), Flowers (98 Pats)

CAR v. BAL -- Robert Thomas (76 Car), Ryan Mallett (7 Bal)

JAX v. NYJ -- BA (9 Jax), Chris Smith (98 Jax)

DEN v. CHI -- Cam Jefferson (75 Chi)

I was just about to make such a post. Well done. Well, almost well done. You forgot Spaight with Washington.

I'll finish out the week's slate.

Friday

Mia v NYG: None

Det v Pit: Swanson (64 Det), Hamilton (83 Pit)

Min v Cin: Hocker (4 Cin), Wright (17 Min)

Cle v GB: Bailey (78 CLE)

Oak v Ari: Kirkland (79 Oak)

Saturday

KC v SEA: Knile (34 KC), Collins (36 Sea)

Ind v Buf: Gragg (89 Buf), Mitchel (43 Ind) JWill (40 Buf)

Dal v LA: McFadden (20 Dal), Gaines (36 LA)

SD v Ten: Herndon (81 SD), Philon (93 SD), Tretola (79 Ten), Henry (86 SD)

Sunday

Hou v SF

*ESPN's list isn't fully correct. They don't list Kirkland at all even though he is on the Raider's official roster. Several of the numbers were suspiciously the same as in college and the teams list different numbers. So, note that there could be a razorback not listed and it is possible the listed # is wrong.

Greg ManChilds

I made the list for myself and figured I would share with others. Henry is missing from Saturday's San Diego game.

This has been the best Hogs in NFL thread to date. Thanks

bennyl08

Quote from: Greg ManChilds on August 11, 2016, 05:17:01 pm
I made the list for myself and figured I would share with others. Henry is missing from Saturday's San Diego game.

This has been the best Hogs in NFL thread to date. Thanks

Henry missing? I know not what you speak of...  ;)

rzrbackramsfan

Spaight and flowers are the leading tacklers for their team right now.  Derby caught both of his targets for 36 yards one was 24 tards.  Robert Thomas with two tackles right now.  Still more game to play.  B Allen is 2/3 for 20 yards and 1 rush for 4 yards.  It looks like henne had a nice game.  And uh, watch out for Allen Robinson on your fantasy team this year.

31to6

Flowers just had a one-man: sack-forced fumble-scoop-and-score.

There will surely be a highlight for that one!

cram224

bennyl08

August 11, 2016, 09:30:15 pm #77 Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:20:36 pm by bennyl08
Spaight finished the game with a team high 5 tackles, all unassisted.

Mallett: 11/15 91 yards, 1 td, 1 int. 2 carries, 13 yards

Thomas: 2 solo tackles, 1 assisted.

Allen: 10/19 138 yards and 1 int. 1 rush 4 yards. He made some sharp throws and some rookie throws. Led a good drive down the field to basically end the game, had a freakishly tipped ball situation result in the interception (though he had a couple balls that would have likely been picked if it was vs starters). Still, not a bad first game.

Smith: 2 solo tackles.

AJ Derby: 3-47 yards (long 24)

Flowers: 4 solo tackles, 1 assisted. 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 fumble return for a td. Also watching the game, there were several plays where even though Flowers didn't get the tackle, he helped make the play and the camera was focused on him quite a bit.

bennyl08

Allen with a strike on first down, looked like a vet. Followed by two bad throws, but then converted a fourth down.

onebadrubi

AJ derby looking really good!

alohawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 11, 2016, 09:32:07 pm
Allen with a strike on first down, looked like a vet. Followed by two bad throws, but then converted a fourth down.

Felt bad for BA on that last play, so close.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

bennyl08

Quote from: alohawg on August 11, 2016, 09:38:24 pm
Felt bad for BA on that last play, so close.

Could you imagine the confidence boost of having a game winning td on your first game? Was a shame.

rzrbackramsfan

Wait... Did Brandon Allen have a chance to have a game winning drive and he threw an int? Lol

31to6

elksnort

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 04, 2016, 02:09:22 pm
Jason Peters left Eagles practice with an injury today.  No word on how serious it is yet.

He's probably had the best Pro Hog career in recent memory, you just don't hear much about it because he's an offensive tackle.
Agree. Great hog.  Remember him catching a long pass against Auburn in 2003.  Looked like Lynn Swann

rzrbackramsfan

hawgmasta

Quote from: elksnort on August 11, 2016, 10:14:31 pm
Agree. Great hog.  Remember him catching a long pass against Auburn in 2003.  Looked like Lynn Swann

He's probably definitely made the most money, maybe ever for a hog. D-Mac did get that pre CBA draft deal.

31to6

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 11, 2016, 10:20:08 pm
I thought the first thing you said was funnier. 
it was a gut reaction.. inappropriate...

still, just burns my ass when people take joy in the misfortune of former players.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 31to6 on August 11, 2016, 10:28:11 pm
it was a gut reaction.. inappropriate...

still, just burns my ass when people take joy in the misfortune of former players.

I hope the best for him too. 

But if college is any indication of how he'll be in the pro's, he'll continue doing this four 3 years but then he will be an elite NFL QB.  I didn't watch the game, but overall he had a solid enough game where if he stays at this pace he'll be on the practice squad, right? 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

alohawg

-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

31to6

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 11, 2016, 10:42:53 pm
I hope the best for him too. 

But if college is any indication of how he'll be in the pro's, he'll continue doing this four 3 years but then he will be an elite NFL QB.  I didn't watch the game, but overall he had a solid enough game where if he stays at this pace he'll be on the practice squad, right? 
It was a freaky interception. He tried to fit it in and it hit the defender and ricocheted up high.

The rest of the drive was impressive.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 31to6 on August 12, 2016, 11:33:05 am
It was a freaky interception. He tried to fit it in and it hit the defender and ricocheted up high.

The rest of the drive was impressive.

Sounds familiar

razorbackfan4life

Mallett's throw was right on the money.  It hit the guy right in the chest and deflected up.  The receiver was sliding down to avoid being hit and he put it right on the money.  Dude has to catch the ball. 

bennyl08

http://razorbackers.com/2016/08/12/brandon-allen-makes-debut-hogs-step-preseason-play/

Wouldn't you know, this guy completely left of Spaight as well. And Robert Thomas. OL players don't really make it on the stat sheet, but those two did.

hawgmasta

Quote from: factchecker on August 11, 2016, 11:11:42 pm
https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/763869087156080640

Spaight is not just a great player, he's a great leader. Which will pay big dividends throughout his career.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I truly believe that  AC will emerge as the Seahawks starter.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

rzrbackramsfan

alohawg

AC has had a grand total of 3 touches, all in the 1st half. More than disappointing so far.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️