Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorbacks in the NFL

Started by bennyl08, July 31, 2016, 05:35:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

July 31, 2016, 05:35:23 pm Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:36:53 pm by bennyl08
Brandon Allen: had a lot of trouble fumbling snaps during minicamp and has already fumbled a snap in training camp this fall. Is spending hours after practice taking snaps from the multitude of 3rd team players rotating in at center to try and make sure no more snaps hit the turf. His throwing, though, was complimented and it is reported he is building chemistry with his receivers. In Allen's defense, each of the qb's had fumbled a snap so far this training camp. Update: in 11 on 11, BA was 2-6, Bortles was 5-10 and Henne, his main competition for backup qb, was 5-8.

Alvin Bailey: Mentioned as being a loss for the seahawks this year after being their top backup OL and starting a handful of games for them each season. He was slated to be the starting RT for the hawks last season before losing the job to a rookie. He faces a similar situation this year in Cleveland. Starter at RT all spring and during training camp so far. He is now competing with a 3rd round pick for the starter job who was injured during OTA's but is healthy now.

Alex Collins: Being praised for his versatility early in training camp. He started day 2 as a receiver in a 5-wide set, was returning kickoffs, and has showed excellent promise as an early down back. With Rawls still recovering and Prosise sporting a tweaked hamstring, it's been a pretty even rotation b/w Christine, Collins, and Brooks.

Knile Davis: Only news I see about him is that he is a popular name for teams looking to add a veteran running back that the Chiefs would be wise to trade. It was apparent last season that they didn't want to use him outside of kick returns. If he gets cut from KC, I don't think he'll be unemployed for too long.

AJ Derby: Had a few drop in a rainy practice where drops were all too common among many players. However, two separate writers commented that among the players who really stood out, rookie TE Bryce Williams and AJ Derby. Bad news is, there is also Gronkowski and Bennett at the front of the line. However, Gronk is often hurt and the TE's overall have been the stars of camp, so this could be another 2 TE heavy season for the pats.

Trey Flowers: Not a lot of actual news on him. However, that doesn't mean he isn't being talked about. He has a chance to be the #3 DE for the team and it consistently mentioned as somebody people are high on after a promising preseason was cut short by an injury that derailed his rookie season.

Rohan Gaines (LA Rams): No news other than he is on the team

Chris Gragg: No real news to find yet either. Opinions on him seem to vary from dependable but not exciting and likely to be the backup TE to Clay down to a veteran on the bubble who could cut.

Cobi Hamilton: Was waived by the Panthers on July 25th to make room for a TE who hasn't played football since HS a decade ago.

Hunter Henry: Chargers like to use a 2 TE set and Gates last year was saying he's like have fewer snaps to stay fresher. With Henry's blocking ability, it is expected that he will get to see the field a good bit. He has looked good run blocking early in camp. Update: Henry caught a laser from Rivers to move the chains.

Javontee Herndon: No direct news, but the signing of Travis Benjamin puts some distance b/w Herndon and a starting job. However, he gained experience last year when injuries hit and has stuck around this long as a UDFA. Wouldn't be shocked but would be surprised if he was cut. Update here, Stevie Johnson had to be helped off the field with a knee injury.

Zach Hocker: Not really expected by most to make the team with the Bengals this year. Mike Nugent, however, is 35 years old and on the last year of his contract. He has been inconsistent by NFL standards winning them several games, but also losing them some as well. If Hocker doesn't win the battle, there is talk he could be placed on the practice squad and set to take over next season.

Cameron Jefferson: Was put on the practice squad by the Broncos late last season (another hog with a Super Bowl?) Word is that he will have to work hard to earn a practice squad spot for the 2016 season. However, in his defense, he was only ever a jumbo package substitute here with his one start being because we opened jumbo. That he is still in the NFL is an accomplishment. He does have a leg up on Kubiak's offense and with a bevy of new players, it is possible that whoever can learn and execute the playbook before the start of the season could have a roster spot, but he is a longshot to say the least.

Denver Kirkland: No news that I could find. However, there is one good thing to report. Earlier in the offseason, while it had been reported that Kirkland was with the Raiders, he was not on the roster even though other UDFA's were. I just checked their roster and he is officially there.

Ryan Mallett: Harbaugh got onto Mallett in training camp yesterday for not getting the ball out fast enough. He threw three int's on the 29th. Didn't find any good news on him. :(

Darren McFadden: He recently had a bone scan on his broken elbow and it showed improvement. By all accounts, he should be ready for a week 1 return. Biggest question is what will his role be when he gets there?

Tevin Mitchel: Lots of good news on Tevin. "The secondary was led by strong play from Tevin Mitchel and Vonate Davis." For Mitchel to be in the same sentence as Davis is a very good compliment and Vontae is among the better cb's in the league (not at the top run, but in that second rung for sure). Colts are looking for Tevin to push for playing time this season. He picked off a bobbled pass. Keep in mind, colts grabbed Tevin from the Redskins after he was injured. "the Colts liked Mitchel enough to claim him and keep him on their active roster for several weeks last camp despite knowing he would miss the entire season - just so they could place him on their IR."

Jason Peters: Not much news about playing. However, some quotes from him include how he did not like Chip Kelly and prefers Doug Pederson who actually played. He says that when he is healthy,  he is a dominant force. He will have some more rest in practice this year since he is 34 years old and says he wants to end his career on a high note.

Darius Philon: Right now, he is a starter at DE with the absence of Joey Bosa. He has impressed coaches during the off season this year and is continuing to do so into training camp, taking advantage of the opportunity. Philon rushed Rivers forcing an incomplete pass.

Chris Smith: Went 2-0 in 1on1 pass rushing drills.

Martrell Spaight: Has stood out in camp this year for being physical and aggressive after missing last season with a bad concussion. He got into a scuffle with Niles Paul, TE, after pulling up in practice to avoid a hit, Paul then threw a punch at Spaight. The two got into a fight but were later seen hugging it out on the sideline.

Travis Swanson: Swanson's hold on the starting center job is in question. Lions are desperately seeking an upgraded OL and drafted a new tackle in the first round, but also a new center in the third. Swanson is given credit for his character, work ethic, smarts, and athleticism, but he lacks elite strength. The new guy is much stronger and more aggressive, though he lacks the finesse, character, and experience that Travis has. They also brought in Izard from the Bills iirc who has been splitting reps with the first team at center with Swanson.

Robert Thomas: is still kicking it in the NFL, now with the Panthers in training camp.

Sebastian Tretola: He is looking to make a roster spot for himself and has been the team's 2nd team LG.

Jonathan Williams: JWill isn't expected to miss time following his DWI arrest, Bills recently added Reggie Bush to the mix following Karlos Williams' suspension and JWill's bad behavior. The Bills backfield is now very crowded with good backs and it will be difficult to get carries.

Jarius Wright: He's the oldest and most experienced receiver on their roster right now. OC Turner acknowledged that there aren't too many balls thrown his way, but that Jarius is productive and performs when he is asked to. That he is trustworthy. Wright had the best deep reception of camp on a post route with Bridgewater actually throwing the ball before he was open.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Poker_hog

Good info.  I assume jwill is in the doghouse.

Anyway, it's always fun to see former Razorbacks trying to make nfl teams in the preseason games.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

greenEGnHAWGS

Thanks Benny. I look up info and Alex Collins and Hunter Henry pretty often but hadn't heard much from the other guys. So thanks for the info.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

WooPig90

Thanks for the info. Anything on Tevin and Martrell?

longpig

Hogs are starting to be well represented again in the NFL.   ;D  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Don't be scared, be smart.

PonderinHog

Any word on Mallett and Wright?

hogfan14

Quote from: WooPig90 on July 31, 2016, 08:45:36 pm

Saw where Spaight got in a scuffle with TE Niles Paul during camp a few days ago after Paul stiff armed him after a catch over the middle. He's been getting more reps with Junior Gillette out and had some big hits. Fans seem to like him.

longpig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 31, 2016, 08:52:53 pm
Any word on Mallett and Wright?

Jarius Wright is getting paid the big bucks by the Vikings so apparently they expect him to be one of their main guys.

bennyl08

Quote from: WooPig90 on July 31, 2016, 08:45:36 pm

Just going in alphabetical order and haven't made it down there yet. Takes a bit of time searching for articles so probably won't be updating today, but hopefully will finish it tomorrow.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Also, never did get an answer about if once a razorback always a razorback. So, since tomorrow is august 1st, Tevin Mitchel, Spaight, Mallett, Wright, etc.. may no longer be considered razorbacks by hogville standards, so the thread might be moved to the NFL forum for those interested.

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

alohawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 31, 2016, 10:44:00 pm
Also, never did get an answer about if once a razorback always a razorback. So, since tomorrow is august 1st, Tevin Mitchel, Spaight, Mallett, Wright, etc.. may no longer be considered razorbacks by hogville standards, so the thread might be moved to the NFL forum for those interested.

It's should stay here where there's a lot more traffic. Regardless, thanks for it, appreciate the effort.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

NorCalRazorback

I'm wondering where he is and what he is doing.  Someone like that is rare, and then what happened to him is just too bad.  Does anyone know what he is doing now?  Is he coaching?  Is he completely out of football.

Please share if you know.  We need to help this Razorback great out!
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Professor Psychosis

I hope this thread stays here through at least the preseason and I don't see why it can't stay throughout the regular season too, maybe with weekly updates.  I'd even contribute once the regular season got going. I watch a lot of NFL games, but I don't follow much training camp news.

I think once a Hog, always a Hog. It'd be a good thread to have around for people to discuss in, instead of random "D-Mac just scored a TD" new post everytime one of our guys does something. Just my opinion, worth little since I'm only a guest here.

Professor Psychosis

Last seen trying out for a CFL team in 2014 before he got hurt once again.  I don't have anything more recent.

Foshodo

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 31, 2016, 09:19:15 pm
Saw where Spaight got in a scuffle with TE Niles Paul during camp a few days ago after Paul stiff armed him after a catch over the middle. He's been getting more reps with Junior Gillette out and had some big hits. Fans seem to like him.

ahem... it's Nile

kp72204

I saw on his twitter that he has his own supplement website.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

He was a monster.  Loved the guy.  I hope he enjoys success in life. 

bennyl08

bennyl08

Some other updates

MeKale McKay, former razorback, has been making an impression as an undrafted receiver for the Colts. Colt's don't have a 4th or 5th receiver and he is the tallest receiver on the roster. A long shot to make the 53 man team, he still has a better chance than many udfa's.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 01, 2016, 02:21:40 am
I hope this thread stays here through at least the preseason and I don't see why it can't stay throughout the regular season too, maybe with weekly updates.  I'd even contribute once the regular season got going. I watch a lot of NFL games, but I don't follow much training camp news.

I think once a Hog, always a Hog. It'd be a good thread to have around for people to discuss in, instead of random "D-Mac just scored a TD" new post everytime one of our guys does something. Just my opinion, worth little since I'm only a guest here.
˄˄˄˄˄˄˄˄This˄˄˄˄˄˄˄ keep it here in lieu of moving to NFL board.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogfan14

Hunter Henry already making plays

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 01, 2016, 04:44:11 pm
Hunter Henry already making plays

Thanks for posting this.  Good stuff!!

longpig

longpig

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 01, 2016, 01:43:59 pm
Some other updates

MeKale McKay, former razorback, has been making an impression as an undrafted receiver for the Colts. Colt's don't have a 4th or 5th receiver and he is the tallest receiver on the roster. A long shot to make the 53 man team, he still has a better chance than many udfa's.

Why'd he leave, anyway?  I never heard anything beyond speculation.

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on August 01, 2016, 05:26:10 pm

I think that's all you are going to hear. He was a Petrino recruit who stuck with the Program his freshmen season with slappy. He progressed throughout the year ending up as Wilson's 2nd favorite target behind Hamilton and posting his best games vs tough competition in the SEC and often on the road.

I believe he stayed through Bielema's first spring before transferring in the summer. Presumably, he didn't like the offense that was being run, having wanted to come to pass happy offense under Petrino. I seem to recall that he wanted to play basketball as well while he was being recruited and that was a lure for him to come here. Not sure if he ever did that at Cincy though.

The biggest knock on him leaving cincy and going to the NFL was that he wasn't a terribly precise route runner and had some drops during his career. Perhaps he didn't like the strictness of a Bielema coached team, but then again, he committed to Petrino who was about as strict as they come so that wouldn't make much sense. Now, we spent a lot more time working on the run game in practice early on under Bielema and only became sticklers for route running and the passing game this past spring. Maybe he wanted that and didn't think he would get it under CBB and Chaney?  Makes you think he would have transferred to Louisville though. Perhaps Petrino hadn't been hired there yet?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 01, 2016, 05:38:50 pm
I think that's all you are going to hear. He was a Petrino recruit who stuck with the Program his freshmen season with slappy. He progressed throughout the year ending up as Wilson's 2nd favorite target behind Hamilton and posting his best games vs tough competition in the SEC and often on the road.

I believe he stayed through Bielema's first spring before transferring in the summer. Presumably, he didn't like the offense that was being run, having wanted to come to pass happy offense under Petrino. I seem to recall that he wanted to play basketball as well while he was being recruited and that was a lure for him to come here. Not sure if he ever did that at Cincy though.

The biggest knock on him leaving cincy and going to the NFL was that he wasn't a terribly precise route runner and had some drops during his career. Perhaps he didn't like the strictness of a Bielema coached team, but then again, he committed to Petrino who was about as strict as they come so that wouldn't make much sense. Now, we spent a lot more time working on the run game in practice early on under Bielema and only became sticklers for route running and the passing game this past spring. Maybe he wanted that and didn't think he would get it under CBB and Chaney?  Makes you think he would have transferred to Louisville though. Perhaps Petrino hadn't been hired there yet?

Petrino was strict on the field in the way you performed, how precisely you ran routes, your technique in catching balls, gaining separation, etc. Not so much off the field. Bielema demands as much of players on the field under a different system, but he also demands more off the field than Petrino did, and that is a huge difference for players who have to tow the line part of the time versus all of the time.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 01, 2016, 05:46:01 pm
Petrino was strict on the field in the way you performed, how precisely you ran routes, your technique in catching balls, gaining separation, etc. Not so much off the field. Bielema demands as much of players on the field under a different system, but he also demands more off the field than Petrino did, and that is a huge difference for players who have to tow the line part of the time versus all of the time.

I hear that a lot, but talk of Petrino being less strict off the field never came up until after he left. When anybody got in trouble with the law, Petrino was just as harsh as Bielema has been. When it comes to curfew and showing up for meetings, Petrino handed out his share of suspensions as well. Objectively grades have certainly improved from CBP to CBB, though they improved greatly from Nutt to Petrino as well.

I don't doubt that Bielema is stricter than Petrino in behavioral expectations, but I do think the difference is overplayed. Petrino had to change a decades worth of lax culture in the program and thus had slower results and starting from a lower floor. Bielema has taken that progress and improved upon it, himself having to work with the 1 year disaster of John El.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 01, 2016, 06:20:12 pm
I hear that a lot, but talk of Petrino being less strict off the field never came up until after he left. When anybody got in trouble with the law, Petrino was just as harsh as Bielema has been. When it comes to curfew and showing up for meetings, Petrino handed out his share of suspensions as well. Objectively grades have certainly improved from CBP to CBB, though they improved greatly from Nutt to Petrino as well.

I don't doubt that Bielema is stricter than Petrino in behavioral expectations, but I do think the difference is overplayed. Petrino had to change a decades worth of lax culture in the program and thus had slower results and starting from a lower floor. Bielema has taken that progress and improved upon it, himself having to work with the 1 year disaster of John El.

Not exactly. It has been written about several times and discussed here many times, but Bielema came in and not only had to change the direction of the program from the standpoint of football scheme and philosophy, but also had to re-work the system and team in terms of overall discipline and day to day expectations of behavior on and off the field, as well as in the classroom. Don't believe me, just ask Mike Irwin.

This team had to be rebuilt from the ground up and not just in terms of personnel, but overall discipline in all things. And I am not saying that he will ever achieve all of the goals he set for himself and this program at Arkansas, or maybe he will, I just don't know at this point. But I feel like he faced a much bigger challenge than Petrino did when he arrived. All Petrino had to do was coach and recruit different personnel. Bielema took it upon himself to build a different environment that exuded family, team, access and openness. Petrino was never approachable by his players. And that too, has been mentioned many times. There is a difference between day and night today compared to that of the Petrino regime.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

But back to topic, I believe former Hog DT Robert Thomas is now with the Carolina Panthers. I hope this young man finally gets his shot at a roster spot and some consistent playing time!
Go Hogs Go!

hog.goblin

Quote from: NorCalRazorback on August 01, 2016, 01:03:25 am
I'm wondering where he is and what he is doing.  Someone like that is rare, and then what happened to him is just too bad.  Does anyone know what he is doing now?  Is he coaching?  Is he completely out of football.

Please share if you know.  We need to help this Razorback great out!

Who?

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 31, 2016, 08:04:24 pm
Good info.  I assume jwill is in the doghouse.

Anyway, it's always fun to see former Razorbacks trying to make nfl teams in the preseason games.
not necessarily; he is under thurman thomas' wing.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

supersaint

Quote from: longpig on August 01, 2016, 05:26:10 pm

He was roommates with AJ Turner.  Both had off the field issues.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hog.goblin

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 01, 2016, 07:43:41 pm
But back to topic, I believe former Hog DT Robert Thomas is now with the Carolina Panthers. I hope this young man finally gets his shot at a roster spot and some consistent playing time!

He is, see OP. However, barring multiple injuries, Carolina is not where I want to be to get DL playing time. Great place to learn, but they are deep. I was hoping he could have stayed in Seattle. At least as good a chance at a Super Bowl and for a DT, better chance of PT IMO.

longpig

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 01, 2016, 06:20:12 pm

We won the Fulmer Cup under Harley Bob.

Cobbler

Quote from: longpig on August 02, 2016, 01:57:06 pm
We won the Fulmer Cup under Harley Bob.

Actually, the incident that led to the Fulmer Cup win happened under Smile. Petrino was already fired at that point.

Biggus Piggus

This is the best Hogs-in-pros thread I have ever seen on here, and thanks to benny for starting it off very well.
[CENSORED]!

elksnort

I'm going all DeltaHog on you.

Yes, this is indeed a fine thread.

Jackrabbit Hog

That picture of Martrelle would make a great poster.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 31, 2016, 05:35:23 pm
Darren McFadden: He recently had a bone scan on his broken elbow and it showed improvement. By all accounts, he should be ready for a week 1 return. Biggest question is what will his role be when he gets there?

Darren's role will probably be a lot larger than the media would have us believe since E. Elliot is an unproven rookie.....

bennyl08

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 04, 2016, 09:48:41 am
Darren's role will probably be a lot larger than the media would have us believe since E. Elliot is an unproven rookie.....

Unproven rookie sure, but so was Todd Gurley and Elliot has 10x the resume Gurley did. Just like college, RB is one of the few positions in the NFL where you expect the rookie to make a major impact.

little pigee

Great thread Bennyl08!  thank you.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 04, 2016, 11:09:46 am
Unproven rookie sure, but so was Todd Gurley and Elliot has 10x the resume Gurley did. Just like college, RB is one of the few positions in the NFL where you expect the rookie to make a major impact.

Gurley's resume would have been better than Elliot's had it not been for his injuries in college.  And - save this for later if I turn out to be right - I'm not convinced that Elliot's college numbers weren't more the result of a dominant offensive line than his own once-in-a-generation talent.  The last few Ohio State running backs who made it to the league have been disappointments for the most part.  I think there's a chance that the same thing happens with Elliot.  Plus, I think he may turn out to have attitude issues.  Just a hunch.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 04, 2016, 11:37:18 am
Gurley's resume would have been better than Elliot's had it not been for his injuries in college.  And - save this for later if I turn out to be right - I'm not convinced that Elliot's college numbers weren't more the result of a dominant offensive line than his own once-in-a-generation talent.  The last few Ohio State running backs who made it to the league have been disappointments for the most part.  I think there's a chance that the same thing happens with Elliot.  Plus, I think he may turn out to have attitude issues.  Just a hunch.

I think the bigger question for him this rookie season is what impact that tweaked hamstring will have. Those have a tendency to linger.

If all he had was stats to his name, I'd certainly be inclined to believe his success was primarily a function of the talent around him. However, the combine showed he has the raw talent himself. Further, you don't put up rushing numbers like he did against Bama just by having talent around you (for a refresher, 20 carries, 230 yards, 2 td's).

Attitude wise, I haven't seen anything negative. In the heat of the moment seconds after a game, he said he didn't feel like he was used enough and the coaches agreed with him. When it comes to work ethic, putting in the hours, staying out of trouble off the field, doing things right to keep his body healthy, he seems to have that down pat. NFL money can certainly change things, but I haven't seen anything to make him riskier than any other player going from college to NFL.