Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Makayla Daniels

Started by brs_hogfan, December 29, 2017, 05:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brs_hogfan

BWS

5-7 guard out of Frederick, MD. She scored 47 points in the state championship game this past season as a sophomore.

flippinhogmana

Arkansas women's basketball Coach Mike Neighbors received his third commitment for the 2019 class on Friday from one of the top prospects in Maryland.

Point guard Makayla Daniels, 5-7 of Frederick High School in Maryland has pledged to Neighbors over offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Marshall, Richmond, St. Joe's and Delaware. She led her school to the 3A state championship as a sophomore by scoring 47 points — the third highest ever for a Maryland girls basketball state tournament. She also had the highest ever point total for the semi-finals and finals of a state tournament with 76 points.

Center Destinee Oberg, 6-2, of Burnsville (Minn.) Academy Of Holy Angels and wing Ginger Reece, 5-10 of Lawton, Okla., Eisenhower pledged earlier to Neighbors and his staff.

ProspectsNation.com rates Oberg as the No. 4 post and No. 26 prospect while Reece is the No. 16 wing and No. 64 prospect in the nation.

Neighbors is expected to sign four or five prospects for the 2019 class.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

December 29, 2017, 06:17:03 pm #3 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:55:58 pm by flippinhogmana
Daniels height is shown to be everything from 5-2 to 5-8.  I assume she is still growing and some of those stats are old.  She is rated to be a good three point shooter (quick release, can shoot it off the catch or off the drive).  But the most interesting thing about her is her defense, she is reputed to be a lock down aggressive defender.  She can play either point or shooting (obviously) guard.

After watching her on film, she is a lot like Monk, maybe not as fast in her foot speed, but quick, drives well, changes speed, uses the cross over well, and she is a good foul shooter, gets to the line a lot.  A lot of her 47 points in the referenced championship game was at the line.  She isnt as good a foul shooter as Malika, but she gets there a lot and is a good ft shooter.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

She reminds me of Malica Monk a little bit, but under more control and with a better outside shot.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2523320/5721d0110dcb0d12f873b5a4

flippinhogmana

December 29, 2017, 06:52:29 pm #5 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:57:07 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on December 29, 2017, 06:43:27 pm
She reminds me of Malica Monk a little bit, but under more control and with a better outside shot.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2523320/5721d0110dcb0d12f873b5a4

I saw a couple different vids of her (than this one).  One of them was in the championship game in which she scores 47.  Most of the high lights of the vid were of her on the dribble-drive. 

It is difficult to rate a player so young and so far away.  Ginger Reese and Destinee Oberg are both rated top 100 players on most rating services (though not all, Reese doesnt make some of them) but Daniels isnt rated top 100 on any of them.  All three have two more years to play, how much each of them play AAU will have some impact on how highly they are rated by the end of their high school careers.  But as I said, I think Daniels is still growing.  But she has a very good first step and good physical ball handling skills.

nwahogfan1

I like what ever Mike likes because he knows what he can win with but I would have thought with so many studs in our 2019 class we would be getting more commitments from Arkansas Ladies.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 07:47:34 pm
I like what ever Mike likes because he knows what he can win with but I would have thought with so many studs in our 2019 class we would be getting more commitments from Arkansas Ladies.

The 2019 class in state is not especially studly. Tucker is our only nationally rated prospect, and I'm guessing that taking Daniels means that Tucker isn't coming? (Like I said, guess. It's apparently true that her club coach is not a Hog fan, though.)

I believe we have also offered Marquesha Davis from Springdale. Are there any other in-state 2019s we have offered?

The 2020 in state class is going to be killer.

flippinhogmana

December 30, 2017, 08:42:48 pm #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:01:48 pm by flippinhogmana
looking into my crystal ball I think we add a 6-4/6-6 girl to this class to augment Oberg and add depth to Weaver who will be a junior at that point (when they are eligible to play).

the 2020 class will be another big class as well - we will be losing Williams, Stout, and Mason (will have already lost monk, RnB, Zimmer and Swinson by then) and Weaver, Thomas, Spangler, Gaulden and Dungee will be senors if my math is correct (by the time that the 2020-21 class takes the floor).

nwahogfan1

Quote from: brs_hogfan on December 29, 2017, 05:56:59 pm
2019 point guard commitment ... https://twitter.com/MakaylaDaniels5/status/946884282739458049

If she blows up to a 4 star before we sign her can we keep her commitment???

brs_hogfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 31, 2017, 04:49:24 pm
If she blows up to a 4 star before we sign her can we keep her commitment???

It's a non-binding commitment. But I wouldn't be worried about it -- I expect she committed because she had a good rapport with the coaches and felt good about the direction they want to take the program. And no reason to think she may change her mind no matter if her national profile goes up, which it probably will, so long as the program moves in the right direction.

psycHOGlogist

Here's a follow-up article from the Frederick paper with some more info on Daniels's recruitment. Coach Goldwire was her lead recruiter, apparently starting when she was at Iowa.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/high_school/family-factors-into-daniels-decision-to-attend-arkansas/article_e27c9020-5b91-58bc-8b1b-6c4a2bc1e5fe.html

nwahogfan1

Quote from: brs_hogfan on December 31, 2017, 05:21:47 pm
It's a non-binding commitment. But I wouldn't be worried about it -- I expect she committed because she had a good rapport with the coaches and felt good about the direction they want to take the program. And no reason to think she may change her mind no matter if her national profile goes up, which it probably will, so long as the program moves in the right direction.

Let me see she lives 2000 miles away and signing date a year away plus all the East will be recruiting the heck out of her this spring and summer.  Oh,  I am not worried.

pigture perfect

Bring her on. Kid can play. Welcome home  Makayla.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 02, 2018, 10:11:34 am
Let me see she lives 2000 miles away and signing date a year away plus all the East will be recruiting the heck out of her this spring and summer.  Oh,  I am not worried.
I do not know the girl, but Maryland is not 2,000 miles away.  It is 1,150 miles from Fayetteville to Frederick, MD.  A player either is interested in a program they have followed all their life or they are open to the best option to them.  The article states she has a sister in Oklahoma and other family members in Oklahoma.  I lived in Illinois and two of our daughters went to UCLA which is over 2,000 from where I lived.  They went in spite of my objections because that is where they wanted to go.  Relax - have faith in this coaching staff and the process and journey that we are on.

psycHOGlogist

This tweet contains about a minute of video highlights from Makayla's recent conference championship game (a win). She went for 37 points. Almost all of the highlights feature her, either as the scorer or getting the assist. She seems to have both a very good shot and (perhaps more importantly) a very quick release. That was one of the things that made/makes Kelsey Plum such a threat - she gets her shot of very quickly, before defenses can close out on her (in contrast to both Swenson and Zimmerman, who are both solid shooters -- if given enough time).

https://twitter.com/allieberube/status/966150442605563904

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 22, 2018, 03:28:12 pm
This tweet contains about a minute of video highlights from Makayla's recent conference championship game (a win). She went for 37 points. Almost all of the highlights feature her, either as the scorer or getting the assist. She seems to have both a very good shot and (perhaps more importantly) a very quick release. That was one of the things that made/makes Kelsey Plum such a threat - she gets her shot of very quickly, before defenses can close out on her (in contrast to both Swenson and Zimmerman, who are both solid shooters -- if given enough time).

https://twitter.com/allieberube/status/966150442605563904

thanks for the clip

ladybackfan

PLEASE do not de commit.  God only knows we NEED some shooters.

logic

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 07:47:34 pm
That is not at all surprising to me.  Perhaps my memory or observations are flawed.  However, it appears to me that, unlike high school basketball boys,  high school basketball girls are far more inclined to play out-of-state and more of the better ones leave Arkansas rather than play for the UofA. And, for whatever reason, that may true nation-wide.

I know Monk and Danberry, and Jackson 2 or 3 years before them signed with the UofA; but, like last year, the two best players left the state.

psycHOGlogist

Daniels's team is heading to its second consecutive state championship game (they won last year). This link has a pretty extended set of highlights from the semi-final game. Daniels is not as prominently featured as in some past highlight clips (they had a post player get hot and score a bunch inside, and there are several highlights of her), but Daniels (#23) is still clearly making a difference. Easy to see what CMN likes about her game.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/sports/ph-ag-cmw-girls-hoop-semifinal-0314-story.html

flippinhogmana

a year later she reminds me more of Devin Cosper than MM.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: BWS on December 29, 2017, 06:03:04 pm
5-7 guard out of Frederick, MD. She scored 47 points in the state championship game this past season as a sophomore.
29 this year as they won the state for two in row.  She looks like the real deal.

psycHOGlogist

Here is a write up of the game, which includes a highlight video at the top. Seems a bit odd to me that the person who scored almost 50% of her team's points doesn't feature in the highlights or article more, but it's from the Baltimore paper.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-lr-f-girls-bball-3a-state-championship-03102018-story.html

Here is one from the Frederick paper - no highlights clip, though.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/high_school/guided-by-point-guard-frederick-wins-nd-straight-state-title/article_855b2679-388b-5685-8f00-6a81a81c50a2.html

psycHOGlogist

Some more coverage of Frederick's State Championship from a local (MD) TV station, which named Makayla their MVP of the week. She seems very poised and well-spoken for a high school junior!! (You have to watch an ad before the vid — sorry!)

http://www.localdvm.com/sports/maryland-sports/monday-mvp-makayla-daniels/1034207367