Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey Thompson...

Started by Swinesong1, January 03, 2014, 05:15:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

the big man he went against in this game was at one time being looked at by Hog staff:
http://www.semoball.com/blogs/rosener/entry/56478/

Swinesong1

January 03, 2014, 05:19:17 pm #1 Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:43:31 pm by Swinesong1
stats for 1st game of that tourney:
http://semoball.com/blogs/rosener/entry/56477/

Fouled out in double OT loss of championship game but still made all-tourney team unanimously:
http://www.semoball.com/blogs/rosener/entry/56489/desc

-Blu

Thanks for updates.  Trey seems to be doing good.

mhuff

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 03, 2014, 05:19:17 pm
stats for 1st game of that tourney:
http://semoball.com/blogs/rosener/entry/56477/

Fouled out in double OT loss of championship game but still made all-tourney team unanimously:
http://www.semoball.com/blogs/rosener/entry/56489/desc

Swine, you are just a wealth of info. +1
I was born in Poplar Bluff and live an hour away. I went to Tn. last weekend or I would have attended that tourney.

Swinesong1

Quote from: mhuff on January 03, 2014, 06:15:19 pm
I was born in Poplar Bluff and live an hour away. I went to Tn. last weekend or I would have attended that tourney.
So kind of you!  +1 back at cha.

Otis

Quote from: mhuff on January 03, 2014, 06:15:19 pm

Small world. Both my parents are from Poplar Bluff. Mom had 9 brothers and sisters so I think half town was her relatives at one point in time.

The_Iceman

Good news. Trey will have a good opportunity here. He will get to learn behind Portis and Kinglsey. He really won't be needed for a few years.

mbgrulz

Just as I was ready to write TT off and raise my eyebrows at us signing him, he starts really producing on the floor. Good deal!

1highhog

Quote from: Otis on January 03, 2014, 09:31:21 pm
Small world. Both my parents are from Poplar Bluff. Mom had 9 brothers and sisters so I think half town was her relatives at one point in time.

Whew!  +1 to your Grandmother for putting forth that many kids my man, you don't see that happen that much anymore, big families I mean.  I happen to know quite a few from down around where I'm originally from, but anyway, just wanted to give you a shoutout my man!

FineAsSwine

well, the coaches  have been right about trey after all. they know what this team needs. Imagine that.

Tejas_Pete

Thompson had offers from Florida, Memphis, and LSU among others.

Razorod

Good for Thompson and I hope he continues to develop and produce. Looking forward to seeing him on the Hill.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on January 04, 2014, 07:29:18 am
Thompson had offers from Florida, Memphis, and LSU among others.

If we're going to point out those offers, it's equally fair to point out that they all weren't committable.

poloprince

Good Kid and space eater, that way Kingsley and BP can start alongside each other in '14.
$PoLoPrInCe$

labb

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 04, 2014, 09:36:05 am
If we're going to point out those offers, it's equally fair to point out that they all weren't committable.
Would someone explain what an offer is that is not "committable". I don;t understand that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: labb on January 04, 2014, 10:43:52 am
Would someone explain what an offer is that is not "committable". I don;t understand that.

Offer is not without condition.

Razorod

Committable offers are offers where the team/coaches will accept the commitment at anytime.

A non-committable offer is where the coaches are talking with a player and are interested in him, but have somebody else higher on their board. They might say, we have a scholarship for you if player A goes elsewhere. Technically, the player might have an offer, but it's conditional based on what other players do.

Players might misunderstand or hear what they want to hear and try to commit, but the coaches won't accept the commitment.

FineAsSwine

No one has proof that any of those offers were "non-commitable" do they? (Hearsay is inadmissible in this case)

Besides, why cant anyone say anything good about Trey, his recruitment and commitment to UA without someone making a dig at the guy like he's some ugly,unwanted, charity case of an orphan.

I couldn't care less that Memphis and Florida may or may not have wanted Trey. (I don't think they wanted Qualls either)

Most everyone thought that Moses was going to be a project player. Trey may be able to be a immediate contributor as well.

Razorod

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 04, 2014, 02:48:11 pm
No one has proof that any of those offers were "non-commitable" do they? (Hearsay is inadmissible in this case)

Besides, why cant anyone say anything good about Trey, his recruitment and commitment to UA without someone making a dig at the guy like he's some ugly,unwanted, charity case of an orphan.

I couldn't care less that Memphis and Florida may or may not have wanted Trey. (I don't think they wanted Qualls either)

Most everyone thought that Moses was going to be a project player. Trey may be able to be a immediate contributor as well.
I'm happy we have Trey and am looking forward to him being on the hill. Will be nice to have three bigs on the roster at the same time of their quality.

I'm also hoping that Thompson has the kind of season where he moves up the rankings a bit.

azhog10

Id be curious to know which one of those three Aren't committable. Because the info I have tells me at least two of those three were. I can't speak on the third but I know for sure two of them were committable at some time this summer.

Tejas_Pete

Thompson had a lot more offers than just the three I listed, you can't tell me they were all non-committable offers. I'm glad he's a Hog.

Hawg Red

Not all offers were committable and not all but Arkansas were non-committable, but he recieved a lot of interest as a highly rated freshman and then stopped progressing. No one is talking bad about Trey but misrepresenting is misrepresting. I don't think sites like Rivals remove offers once they're listed. There's just no way he had a valid standing offer at some of those schools looking at the other guys they're recruiting. Trey did not progess as expected after his freshman year. That much is not debatable.

Shawn

Strange, most of family lives in Poplar Bluff too.

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: Otis on January 03, 2014, 09:31:21 pm

Smaller world... I live in Poplar Bluff.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 04, 2014, 05:52:12 pm
Not all offers were committable and not all but Arkansas were non-committable, but he recieved a lot of interest as a highly rated freshman and then stopped progressing. No one is talking bad about Trey but misrepresenting is misrepresting. I don't think sites like Rivals remove offers once they're listed. There's just no way he had a valid standing offer at some of those schools looking at the other guys they're recruiting. Trey did not progess as expected after his freshman year. That much is not debatable.
Which of those three were non commital?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 04, 2014, 05:52:12 pm
i'm just curious as why you keep stating something as a fact when you are only speculating?  Furthermore, does it really matter about the condition under which Thompson was or wasn't offered?  Why are you so set on clearing up this alleged "misrepresenation of this particular recruit?

Hawg Red

Because I don't like inaccuracies. And I love to get your panties in a bunch.

Gotta please the fan club.

Hawg Red

Memphis was said to have definitely backed off. Pretty sure Florida did as well. I did hear that Mississippi St. was still interested. Didn't hear or read anything about any other schools either way.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:12:46 pm
Because I don't like inaccuracies. And I love to get your panties in a bunch.

Gotta please the fan club.

Can you post a link to where Trey Thompson's offers were not commitable? Thanks.

Hawg Red

Not everything can be proven with a link. Coaches don't often come out and say they've pulled an offer. Word gets out, though. I know Brass Knob posted about Memphis backing off.

You guys are so sensitive and biased that you don't allow yourselves to operate on common sense and logic. Trey's a 3 star player. That's a deserved rating. He was an early 5 star when he was 15. He took a bit of a Dedrick Lee-like turn after that. Luckily for him, he's a big body and he does have potential. But let's not pretend offers weren't pulled after he stagnated.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:21:12 pm
Not everything can be proven with a link. Coaches don't often come out and say they've pulled an offer. Word gets out, though. I know Brass Knob posted about Memphis backing off.

You guys are so sensitive and biased that you don't allow yourselves to operate on common sense and logic. Trey's a 3 star player. That's a deserved rating. He was an early 5 star when he was 15. He took a bit of a Dedrick Lee-like turn after that. Luckily for him, he's a big body and he does have potential. But let's not pretend offers weren't pulled after he stagnated.
I couldn't care less who did or didn't offer.  Same with how many stars a recruit has by his name.  Those two things have never mattered to me.  Even moreso under Anderson.  What I find odd is your continually stating something as fact to clear up "inaccuracies" and "misrepresentations" when the truth of the matter is, you are only speculating.

Hawg Red

If you don't care, why do you care if I'm speculating?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:43:59 pm
Obviously you are incapable of understanding what I said I didn't care about Dogtown. 

pigture perfect

Is he still at Forrest City or is he at a prep school. I don't know much about him ex pet he's big.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hawg Red

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 05, 2014, 03:51:25 pm
Obviously you are incapable of understanding what I said I didn't care about Dogtown.

If you do not care who did or did not offer and if you do not care what rating he was given, why do you care whether or not I'm speculating on the commitability of his offers?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:58:18 pm
If you do not care who did or did not offer and if you do not care what rating he was given, why do you care whether or not I'm speculating on the commitability of his offers?
I got it the first time you asked and I'm pretty sure I responded.  Are you drinking Dogtown?

Hawg Red

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2014, 03:15:31 pm
Can you post a link to where Trey Thompson's offers were not commitable? Thanks.
Didn't you over the summer say Jamal Jones didn't have a committable offer to Arkansas after he committed to TAMU? I know someone said it was not commitable.

For all the times Arkansas fans have claimed players who spurred the Hogs didn't have legit offers (going back to Antwaan Space) it is funny to see the uproar and demand for proof when someone claims a Hog commit didn't have commitable offer to a certain school.

As an aside, I hate the phrase "committable offer".

azhog10

Quote from: Smithian on January 05, 2014, 04:27:49 pm
Didn't you over the summer say Jamal Jones didn't have a committable offer to Arkansas after he committed to TAMU? I know someone said it was not commitable.

For all the times Arkansas fans have claimed players who spurred the Hogs didn't have legit offers (going back to Antwaan Space) it is funny to see the uproar and demand for proof when someone claims a Hog commit didn't have commitable offer to a certain school.

Jamal's wasn't so much non commital as it was non existent after his visit. CMA said he thought it wouldn't be a good fit for either parties.

greghog

If you cant commit to a school and they take it, you don't have an offer. It is that simple. As to which schools have offered any kid there is no for sure way of knowing.  Its not like this stuff is done by public documents.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on January 05, 2014, 04:27:49 pm

I wanted us to get Jones. I thought he'd be a good fit for us. I think the rumor going around was his offer was pulled after his official visit here.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2014, 04:49:52 pm
I think the rumor going around was...

Therein lies the beauty/horror of message boards. It's so easy to believe the rumors and hearsay that one wants to believe, and scorn all those that one doesn't.

Alleged cast-offs like Jamal Jones and more recently acknowledged career disappointments like Wade and Scott, whose alleged non-commitable offers to Mizzou only came to light in the past year, are easy prey when the narrative fits. 

It's always interesting to sit back and watch as every Razorback signee, regardless of sport, be celebrated for whatever level of accolades they come in with, only to see some of them lose that near bullet-proof favor a year or two down the road by the same group. The examples are endless.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 05, 2014, 06:26:32 pm
Therein lies the beauty/horror of message boards. It's so easy to believe the rumors and hearsay that one wants to believe, and scorn all those that one doesn't.

Alleged cast-offs like Jamal Jones and more recently acknowledged career disappointments like Wade and Scott, whose alleged non-commitable offers to Mizzou only came to light in the past year, are easy prey when the narrative fits. 

It's always interesting to sit back and watch as every Razorback signee, regardless of sport, be celebrated for whatever level of accolades they come in with, only to see some of them lose that near bullet-proof favor a year or two down the road by the same group. The examples are endless.

I may be wrong, but didn't word about Jones come out before he committed to Texas a&m? That's why it seemed to be more believable.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2014, 06:41:06 pm
I may be wrong, but didn't word about Jones come out before he committed to Texas a&m? That's why it seemed to be more believable.
A lot of people were shocked he didn't commit and that rumor started going around. I call BS because everyone know the good and bad of Jamal Jones before he got to campus. Anderson and staff are smart enough to know what a bunch of fans on a message board knew. It's not like he showed up on his visit, did something stupid, and the coaches thought "Omg, I can't believe he isn't a perfect person"

And that is assuming he did something wrong on visit. None of us know if something happened or not.

ricepig

Jamal's offer wasn't pulled, he just knew it was a better situation for him at aTm, ie, playing time.

Foshodo

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:43:59 pm

because we dont like inaccuracies and we want our panties to be pretty...

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2014, 03:15:14 pm
Memphis was said to have definitely backed off. Pretty sure Florida did as well. I did hear that Mississippi St. was still interested. Didn't hear or read anything about any other schools either way.

IMHO, Memphis and Florida will regret not getting him in a year or two. Get him some coaching and see what happens. Playing against Portis and Kingsley will definitely raise his game.

azhog10

Quote from: Smithian on January 05, 2014, 06:53:24 pm
A lot of people were shocked he didn't commit and that rumor started going around. I call BS because everyone know the good and bad of Jamal Jones before he got to campus. Anderson and staff are smart enough to know what a bunch of fans on a message board knew. It's not like he showed up on his visit, did something stupid, and the coaches thought "Omg, I can't believe he isn't a perfect person"

And that is assuming he did something wrong on visit. None of us know if something happened or not.
Is what it is but both Jamal and CMA knew exactly where he was going before he left home after his visit. We can specially as to the offer being pulled or Jamal wanting More playing time. Either way his situation and that of thompsons are different. This all started with an assertion that Trey didn't have committable offers to certain schools.