Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sankey: SEC ADs have granted me authority to reschedule weather-impacted games

Started by jbcarol, January 08, 2017, 12:31:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv/status/818164420522156037

QuoteSoutheastern Conference athletic directors voted last month to give the commissioner's office broader authority to reschedule postponed games, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said.

The vote, which must be approved by the league's presidents and chancellors in March, is a direct byproduct of the controversy that surrounded this season's LSU-Florida game.

That game, originally scheduled for Oct. 8 in Gainesville, was postponed because of the threat from Hurricane Matthew. After days of contentious negotiations between the two schools and the SEC, the game was eventually moved to Baton Rouge where Florida won 16-10 on Nov. 19.

As part of the agreement, LSU must now play at Florida on Oct. 7 this year. The Tigers will also play in Gainesville in 2018 as originally scheduled.

Under SEC bylaws, Sankey didn't have the authority then to force the two schools to play once the game was postponed. Now, if the next vote goes as planned, his office will.

"Very clearly our conference is supportive of saying that the commissioner is going to have the authority, which I didn't have that fall," Sankey said following the CFP coaches news conference here. "Going forward, we'll have that authority, but that doesn't ignore that we expect our schools to work together.

"It's important that our athletics directors endorsed the concept — unanimously, I might add — "
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net