Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie here

Started by arkana, February 09, 2016, 06:17:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkana

Howdy everyone,

Been reading Hogville for years and never saw the flying forum somehow!  Lots of good stuff here.  Anyway, figured I'd say hi.

I've been flying since I was 19 (34 now), based out of Fayetteville/Drake. 

I recently traded my RV-4 for a 182P.  Not quite as fun but gets in and out of a lot of places (and way easier to land ha). 

Anyway, looking for 2 other partners for the plane.  (it's myself and a buddy right now).  Wasn't sure if it was kosher to post info on that here or not...either way, look forward to talking some airplanes here with everyone.

bvillepig

Arkana

Welcome to a great group. Things are a little slow right now but good luck to you.
Used to go into Drake a lot but go into KASG when I come to NW Arkansas now.

gotyacovered

Quote from: arkana on February 09, 2016, 06:17:55 pm
Howdy everyone,

Been reading Hogville for years and never saw the flying forum somehow!  Lots of good stuff here.  Anyway, figured I'd say hi.

I've been flying since I was 19 (34 now), based out of Fayetteville/Drake. 

I recently traded my RV-4 for a 182P.  Not quite as fun but gets in and out of a lot of places (and way easier to land ha). 

Anyway, looking for 2 other partners for the plane.  (it's myself and a buddy right now).  Wasn't sure if it was kosher to post info on that here or not...either way, look forward to talking some airplanes here with everyone.

you are the second person in 3 weeks that told me they were looking for a pard for their 182. jeez, i have been looking for 2 years!

glad to have ya...  i have a pponk'd (275hp) 182L with out of date avionics. maybe it'll livin' up around here.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

Gotya.

I am entertaining moving up there myself in the next year or so. LOL  Don't know how me and a wrong winged guy like you could compromise but maybe we could figure it out.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on February 11, 2016, 05:08:46 pm
Gotya.

I am entertaining moving up there myself in the next year or so. LOL  Don't know how me and a wrong winged guy like you could compromise but maybe we could figure it out.

haha... it would be easy for me... i partner with you and sell my 182. i had the distinct pleasure of buying a transponder yesterday. killin' me.

i guess i can fed ex all my gear on vacations and just get there faster ;D

GusMcRae

Welcome aboard arkana.

I apologize that your very first thread has been officially hijacked!

Gotya, everything happens for a reason,,,, the stars appear to be aligning for you to be a partner on a Cirrus in the not too distant future.
Before you can blink, it will just be you and the wifey anyway. 

bvillepig, Isn't the useful on a SR-22 up around 1200#?   Just not enough room for Gotya's 3 Yeti's and all the cold weather hunting gear, bows and arrows, guns and ammo, etc,,,?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

LOL Sorry we hijacked the thread also. The useful is just a little over 1000 with the AC and TKS

So true about just him and wifey. It happens fast.

By then he will have to have a Pilatus to haul all the stuff and grandchildren.

I still feel bad for dumping my son and daughter in law when I got rid of the Saratoga.  Now there just room for me wife and 2 granddaughters.

GusMcRae

Ah,,, the chute and a/c.  I'm sure those 2 items do amount to a little something. 

bvillepig, if you haven't seen this already, watch it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_T_nINO0e4

I shared it with gotya awhile back. 
"A cirrus is not a disposable plane, it can take off and land, multiple times, if done properly." 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Gus that is hilarious.    Thanks

Good thing I learned to fly in a 172 then a lowly Archer.

gotyacovered

that is funny stuff, needs to be reposted in the flying pics thread i stickied.

that fella did a great job with it... apparantly not the only thing he has done like that... below is an example taken fron the red board...

Quote from: AggieMike88;1850934Here is Bryan's write up about one of his first flights with me when we did a PnP flight to KBGD.
[SIZE="1"](note, that we were in IMC is an exaggeration for dramatic effect.  I was a VFR pilot at the time.)[/SIZE]

Photo of what the landing looked like is attached.

[INDENT]Thought I would take a moment to Brag on Aggie Mike.
I had the privilege of flying with him yesterday. It turned out to be a very interesting flight and I learned quite a bit. I will do my best not to exaggerate so Mike, let me know if this all seems accurate.

So there we were in Full IMC. We had just lost the left wing. I screamed "We're gonna die!" Mike rolled his eyes and said "I've got this!" He punched his fist through the window and held his left arm straight out. It took a couple seconds of playing with the angle of incidence but he got his hand angled just right and the plane started to level off. I couldn't believe it. I just looked at him in amazement and said "You know that window opens right?"

He just asked if I was going to keep being a little girl. I stopped crying and said, "Ok, I trust you lets finish the flight" He stared ahead and said "Flight? This is nothing. I don't even log a flight unless I take a lightning strike."

The winds were out of the north at 120 kts and out of the south at 80 kts. we were flying sideways with the nose pointed straight up between the battling winds. Then it happened. "THUNK!" Bird strike on the right wing. It knocked part of the flap loose and we started pulling to the right. The right flap was partially deployed and causing a lot of drag.

I asked Mike "Is this a problem?" He responded "Let me show you a little trick I learned at the culinary academy."

He pitched down toward the flock of birds (rare breed that only flies south through freakish storms)

"What are you doing?" I screamed. He said "we have two choices. One is a tail-slide into the flock of birds hoping for a strike on the back side of the right wing which will reverse the damage. Or we can do this."

We dove into the flock with his left wing er... um arm targeting the flock of birds. I closed my eyes. THUNK!

I opened my eyes and saw he had grabbed one of the birds (a large duck) out of the flock. He said this would create an equal amount of drag on the left side so we can press on. We had a couple hours left to fly and doing this would make the trip more fuel efficient.

It was quiet for awhile. Mike was flying, I was scared. The duck was pi$$ed. I was taking it all in and I just said "You are like the Chuck Norris of flying."

Mike said: "Who?"

"Nevermind."

We had flight following and mike spent most of the flight letting the tower know about traffic advisories. We had the airport in sight and Mike asked for frequency change and the tower kept asking mike to stay on with them. Mike told the tower he couldn't and had the tower squawk VFR.

We lined up for the only runway available, 39 and the wind was directly across the runway but it was mountain wave so for most pilots certain death. He lined up, and the plane started to tip right as we slowed down. I said "what is happening?" He said not to worry, that his arm has a lower stall speed then the wing. He added left aileron to create more drag on the right wing. Just then, the left wheel departed the aircraft. He was too focused to care.

He talked me through the landing.
"Okay, I am over the numbers"
"Rounding out"
"Just before we touch down, I will release the duck to increase drag on the right wing will allow us to land on the one good gear on the right."

We flared, He let go of the duck. It flew off quacking loudly and sadly was immediately struck by lightening and killed.

Rolling down the runway holding level with his hand and aileron deflection, slowing down, he kicked the door open and put his left foot down to prevent damage to the belly if the aircraft. I could smell the rubber burning off his shoe as it dragged along the pavement. Then I could hear his foot cutting a ridge in the runway after all of his shoe had burned off.

The plane stopped and we taxied to parking. We grabbed lunch and headed back to the airport. The flight back was pretty uneventful. I think we both slept through most of it.

At any rate, I thought I would share.

Ok, all B.S Aside, I did see the most intense crosswind landing yesterday. I think it was 22 gusting to close to 35 (feel free to correct those numbers mike). Mike will tell you I was pretty contorted, looking for things in the plane to hang onto while he was slipping it in. I was stressing out but he worked hard and did an amazing job of landing that plane without so much as a bump.

Very good flight. Great learning experience.
Thanks Mike.[/INDENT]

arkana

No worries on the hijacking ha.  Been gone for a bit, always fun to catch up on the posts.

My 182 is Pponk'd as well.  Went nuts and got the 3 blade MT too.  Garmin 480W, Stec 60-2 autopilot and 1240 useful too if anyone's interested.  Should be a nice bird once I get engine and prop installed in the next couple weeks. 

GusMcRae

Wow!  That is a beast of a 182.

I'm curious, is it a 1981 model.  Just from looking at different 182s for sale on various sites, it seems that the 1981 models have the biggest useful load.  Mine is a 1967, 182K, and has roughly 1080# useful load.

Your bird sounds like a top of the line 182.

gotyacovered

Quote from: arkana on February 24, 2016, 11:52:42 am
No worries on the hijacking ha.  Been gone for a bit, always fun to catch up on the posts.

My 182 is Pponk'd as well.  Went nuts and got the 3 blade MT too.  Garmin 480W, Stec 60-2 autopilot and 1240 useful too if anyone's interested.  Should be a nice bird once I get engine and prop installed in the next couple weeks. 

if you have a pard, i know about you/your bird. spent an hour on the phone with him discussing all the different options and my experience(s).

you will not regret the decision. 

arkana

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 24, 2016, 01:11:57 pm
Wow!  That is a beast of a 182.

I'm curious, is it a 1981 model.  Just from looking at different 182s for sale on various sites, it seems that the 1981 models have the biggest useful load.  Mine is a 1967, 182K, and has roughly 1080# useful load.

Your bird sounds like a top of the line 182.

Thanks!  It's a 1976 P Model.  The useful load is a little weird.  There's an STC out that pushes the gross weight up 160 pounds on those models (Q models too).  After the lighter prop and a few other things we're hoping it re-weighs about 1240# under gross (assuming the gross weight increase to 3,110#).  I specifically bought the P model because of the gross weight increase that was available.  Seemed a good bang for the buck. 

We'll see how much lighter it is when the dust settles though.