Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Internet in the Boonies

Started by HawgWild, January 30, 2017, 12:06:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

January 30, 2017, 12:06:32 pm Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:53:27 pm by HawgWild
Got a friend retiring to the woods in Perry County. There is no Internet service, cabled or DSL, where she lives. She doesn't have a smart phone. Friends are telling her to get a tablet with a cell plan. She hates tablets. We've talked about lap tops and desk tops and using a hot spot. A problem with this is that the phone companies don't offer unlimited data plans with hot spots. (I'm thinking the constant Windows updates will use up plenty of data.)

Got a simple solution on what to do? We can't get too complex. Needs to be user friendly for a novice. Anyone have any experience with HughesNet?

TIA

riccoar

No experience with HughesNet.  I use a Cantenna from Verizon as I also have no Cable or DSL.  With my cantenna they have 3 monthly levels:

10 GB $60.00
20 GB $90.00
30 GB $120.00

I use the 20 GB level.  Just keep up with usage and not too bad.

HawgWild

January 31, 2017, 10:07:21 am #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:23:32 am by HawgWild
riccoar - Cantenna is one of those hot spots, right? Do you have to have a contract to get it or can you do this month to month?

Thanks for the response.

riccoar

No, I have a jetpack or hot spot as well provided by my work.  The cantenna is attached outside the house.  It's a cylinder antenna attached to the house and connected to a router inside.

tophawg19

sounds similar to dish or direct?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

riccoar

I think Direct is the Hughesnet deal.  I've never used it.  Hughes is via satellite and the Verizon cantenna is using actual cellular data.

HawgWild

Interesting. It looks something like a signal booster. What type of download speed are you getting with this?

I searched for "cantenna" on Verizon & AT&T and came up empty. Was this bought elsewhere?

riccoar

riccoar

Just an FYI, I upgraded phones recently. I was on a cell plan using 50 GB's and then also the 20 GB plan for my LTE home internet.  Switched to the Unlimited Plan on Verizon.  Not only are all 6 phones unlimited, but the home LTE internet is as well.  Should lower my cell bill a chunk.