Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s mike Irwin been saying?

Started by JJHog, October 26, 2017, 06:39:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

What I love about Hogville is how they love a media member as long as said media member agrees with them.  There have been numerous proclamations here about how we need tough media people like Mike Irwin, whenever Mike has said something that Hogville agrees with. But, let Mike say something other than Fire BB now, and he is labeled as a hack.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Athog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 26, 2017, 07:16:06 pm
Nothing

Which means he knows he's gone.

Why not let him speak? He certainly has enough idiots on here trying to speak for him!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Athog on October 27, 2017, 09:30:15 am
Why not let him speak? He certainly has enough idiots on here trying to speak for him!!

Maybe it's discussed elsewhere, but who is not letting him speak?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 27, 2017, 03:46:06 am
A lot of people are posting less after talking a big game leading up to the season.

Guilty.  Every June, July, & August I get optimistic that this is the year that once again the Razorbacks become relevant.  I read Hogville more frequently and start drinking the kool aide about all the positive factors on the team.  My hopes become expectations.  And then. :(  If   Bielema returns as coach next year, I am going to change my routine.  To begin with, through the summer months I will avoid HV as if it were the plague.  Secondly, my wife and I will plan an extended vacation to some remote part of the world during September, somewhere without electronics, sports, bills, politics, etc.  We have been planning a two month trek around the Japanese island of Shikoku anyway (a 700 mile pilgrimage to 88 Buddhist Temples), and that might be the ideal time to do it.  When we return, in late October, if the Razorback ship is righted, I can get on board again.  Not trying to sound like a fair weather fan, but there it is ---- and it's not the losing so much as it is the disorganization on the field that bothers me.

GuvHog

October 27, 2017, 09:36:01 am #54 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:48:08 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Athog on October 27, 2017, 09:30:15 am

Mike has the floor anytime he wants it and he knows that but he has chosen not to post. I wish he would though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 27, 2017, 08:18:16 am
I am almost to start back drinking with this bunch and I been dry and sober for over 25 years.

If you start drinkin again please post more. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

The OTR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 27, 2017, 09:41:42 am
If you start drinkin again please post more. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

This is the first thing we've ever agreed on.  I'd love to see Delta get a real snoot full and start firing off 100 three word posts per hour in lieu of his usual 95 two word posts per hour.

woodrow hog call

Mike told me to tell ya'll, that he had to log off and delete his account because he saw a 6 or 7 page thread about grown men admitting to  crying, over some dirtbag that needed firing.

Pretty sure I just wrote part of a country song, can somebody put a tune to this?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JJHog on October 26, 2017, 06:39:13 pm
What's Mike Irwin been saying?

About Bb and the program have no heard him on the radio or in a post
My momma always told me if you can't say something positive don't say nothing at all.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on October 27, 2017, 09:36:01 am
Mike has the floor anytime he wants it and he knows that but he has chosen not to post. I wish he would though.

He personally likes Bielema.  I wouldn't take a cue from someone that's personally vested as an acquaintance.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 27, 2017, 09:41:42 am

His punctuation may improve.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 27, 2017, 03:46:06 am
A lot of people are posting less after talking a big game leading up to the season.

Not me, I switched sides after Bielema threw our kicker under the bus on statewide media. Up until that crappy performance I was all in. Our opening series shook my confidence, and it all went downhill from there. I admit I was dreadfully wrong. I turned to my buddy behind me before the game and said " I think we are going to have a good team this year." After watching our d-line get knocked off the ball and our o-line get stuffed on the first series he said, "what was that you were saying?" I leaned over and put my head in my hands and cried. And, like Mike Erwin, I personally like Bielema.

lasthog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 27, 2017, 09:49:49 am
Mike told me to tell ya'll, that he had to log off and delete his account because he saw a 6 or 7 page thread about grown men admitting to  crying, over some dirtbag that needed firing.

Pretty sure I just wrote part of a country song, can somebody put a tune to this?

Got it worked out. Mid-Temp three chorder, killer bridge, half-step up last. Just finished with a three minute vamp, wow, you gotta hear it. Think, Wilson Pickett, Hey Jude...

Hook 'em Hogs

My take on what Mike has said is that we're bad, but it's puzzling as to why.  He's talked about

Recruiting-Bielema has outrecruited some major teams for some major players and those players haven't worked out.  That's puzzling because Bielema is known for his player development.

Coordinators-Bielema hasn't locked down his coordinators as well as he needed to.  Bielema has made mistakes with his coordinators-not so much in hiring, but in making sure that his philosophy stayed in tact.  He talked about the oline not being able to runblock in 2016 (I think), so they did what they needed to do to win, and that may have set the development back.  Bielema may not have been stubborn enough at that moment. 

Injuries-don't think that injuries don't play a part in the way the season has turned out.  It's not the soul reason, nor is it the biggest reason, but it hasn't helped.  If we have Pulley for A&M, we win that game.  Then, how do you feel going into SC?  He's talked about stuff like that.

Mike isn't defending Bret really.  Everything mentioned above is pretty much spot on.  Everything mentioned above aren't excuses that means Mike thinks Bret should keep his job, but they are realities that he understands that ultimately Bielema is responsible for.

Recruiting-the head coach is responsbile (on some level) when a recruit wiffs.  Ya, Alabama would have discovered the same thing, but we're not talking about Alabama.  It's not his fault that the can't tell the future, but ultimately he's responsible.

Coordinators-you can't keep people here that don't want to be here, and you can't always hire exactly who you want, but you're responsible either way.  You're responsible for making sure your philosophy stays in tact with a coordinator change. 

Injuries-injuries happen to everyone.  You're not responsible for the injuries, but you're responsible for who steps in.

Mike's puzzled as to why it hasn't worked.  Bielema is a good coach, hard worker, and it just hasn't seemed to come together for him.  It's a head scratcher.

ricepig

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 27, 2017, 09:49:49 am

I was drunk the day.........

31to6

Just because some of us think it is about time for a coaching change does not mean that we should start turning on our own. This is not the MSM and HDN embedded politically at all levels of the state using everything in his power to retain his position. CBB's fate is a "business decision" and while there will likely be jockeying, I don't expect him to engage in personal attacks or vitriol no matter how it plays out--and neither should his detractors. We can agree that it isn't working and part ways without an ugly divorce. Mike is a friend of Hogville and a valued participant who often does bring newsworthy information.

There is NO NEED for Mike to start dropping opinions one way or another. We have become too accustomed to journalists using their forum to voice their opinions and push for their agenda instead of just reporting on what is going on. You know, news.

If Mike does come out calling for CBB's job it will not matter one way or another.

I for one appreciate his reporting and his level-headedness.

If he or any other of the public personalities who post here from time to time under their real names want to keep their opinions on the coaching controversy to themselves I do not blame them one bit.

Mike has said here that he does not think a change in head coach is coming this season. That is his opinion based on what he knows about what might happen. He has not said one way or another what he thinks *should* happen.

That is journalistic integrity and I respect it.

dowils

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 26, 2017, 06:42:45 pm
Irwin is always the last to get on the "get rid of this coach" wagon...I remember him defending Pelphrey until he was blue in the face when he was on the radio in the afternoon....let's all have a good bleed, right, Mike ?

Everyone needs a good bleed every once in awhile.  Ours has been for 5 years...

BILLYBOB

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 27, 2017, 08:13:07 am
Mike Irwin is a hack.

I've had my disagreements with Mike Irwin but the truth is I value his opinion and his perspective on all matters razorback related more than anyone else...including the coaches and administration.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 27, 2017, 01:23:19 pm
I've had my disagreements with Mike Irwin but the truth is I value his opinion and his perspective on all matters razorback related more than anyone else...including the coaches and administration.

I love hearing Mike's take, but he always takes the side of things don't need to change and the way it's currently being done is right.  He's also been a little negative on Mike Anderson and basketball.  He has good inside info, but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of understanding sports.  I'd trust Danny Sheridan that has no inside sources, or even my own judgement about certain things, over Mikes.  He shouldn't call people stupid like he does, he's wrong too much. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: lasthog on October 27, 2017, 10:40:57 am
Got it worked out. Mid-Temp three chorder, killer bridge, half-step up last. Just finished with a three minute vamp, wow, you gotta hear it. Think, Wilson Pickett, Hey Jude...

I don't know what any of that means but I like your energy and effort.
Is Wilson Pickett the name of that little Asian kid that sings Hey Jude on the youtubes? Man I love that little guy.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Jack The BN

Who cares what that guy thinks? He waffles more than the Waffle House.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

CareBear

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 27, 2017, 01:45:56 pm
I love hearing Mike's take, but he always takes the side of things don't need to change and the way it's currently being done is right.  He's also been a little negative on Mike Anderson and basketball.  He has good inside info, but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of understanding sports.  I'd trust Danny Sheridan that has no inside sources, or even my own judgement about certain things, over Mikes.  He shouldn't call people stupid like he does, he's wrong too much.
Mike has become more cantankerous than ever over the last few years. One thing about CBB is that he knows how to grease the wheels with key people in the media world. BS with them. Do shows with them, etc. The propaganda and talking points like #uncommon & "building it the right way" suggest that we have never seen good football around these parts or perhaps we were a dirty program before Jeffy & Bert rolled in with good 'ol Big Ten values & unfortunately for us that gross Big Ten offense... :)
We were warned 5yrs ago by Wisky fans that CBB had issues with personnel both in regards to substitutions & deciding where to play kids, basic game management, playing favorites, passive aggressive tactics to blackball people who didn't comply, etc. They said that he was just a figurehead at UW for Barry Alvarez who was still running the show from the AD office. Jeff didn't do a thorough job researching beyond the numbers. Numbers sometimes fail to convey certain intangibles. Things are often different than they appear on the surface. Brett and Jen are kinda like the cook and the waitress that decided to get out from underneath the iron grip of the successful owner because he was holding back their perceived greatness. They thought that they could open their own diner down here & it would just work out like it did at Wisky. Sometimes in life an idea/project paints up well in theory, but when the reality comes calling we realize that we've bit off more than we can chew. Folks there have been warning signs from day one...Hoganese...it's just a matter of letting go of what we thought we had, or what some on here defended so fiercely even as the ship was springing holes. I want Razorback football back. Doesn't have to be perfect, but it does need to have that fighting HOG spirit that is inside all of us who were raised on the Razorbacks. I'm 42 & this has been the most pathetic 5 yr stretch I have witnessed. Nuttin but love y'all <3

jabohog

Let's see, go up to the top middle red bar. Click on Members. When the page opens, over to the right above the spread sheet click on "search for members". Click in the text box that says Search for: and type in Mike Irwin. Make sure the search by name box is checked. Click the search button. His name will appear in a single row spread sheet, click on his name. Mike's profile will show up, down underneath his avatar picture you can click on show posts and see all his posts from the latest to the oldest. Hope this helps.

snoblind

October 27, 2017, 02:59:06 pm #73 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:25:03 pm by snoblind
Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2017, 12:14:26 pm

my mother got out of prison

WilsonHog

Irwin has forgotten more about Razorback football than 98% of you will ever know.

Of course, that will not stop the delusional among you (which are legion) from believing your opinion is just as well-informed and just as valid as his is.

He isn't alone, but he is one of half-dozen whose opinion on here is worth more than everyone else's combined.

lasthog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 27, 2017, 02:32:53 pm

I don't know what any of that means but I like your energy and effort.
Is Wilson Pickett the name of that little Asian kid that sings Hey Jude on the youtubes? Man I love that little guy.

Don't think that's the same Wilson Pickett, cause he's not short.  I might look up the little asian though, see if he might put our song on youtubes. Gonna give you co-writer credit since you came up with the storyline

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 27, 2017, 03:06:18 pm
Irwin has forgotten more about Razorback football than 98% of you will ever know.

Of course, that will not stop the delusional among you (which are legion) from believing your opinion is just as well-informed and just as valid as his is.

He isn't alone, but he is one of half-dozen whose opinion on here is worth more than everyone else's combined.

May be true, but he's still a Bielema fan.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 27, 2017, 03:11:07 pm
May be true, but he's still a Bielema fan.

So am I (always will be), but that doesn't mean I think he needs to be our head football coach next year.

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 27, 2017, 03:12:53 pm
So am I (always will be), but that doesn't mean I think he needs to be our head football coach next year.

Fair enough.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 27, 2017, 08:29:02 am
Mike is a very good reporter. I am a fan. I am sure the tone of what he has said on occasion has suggested some optimism about Bielema as a coach ... he is evidently a great guy, highly organized and has hired some assistants that are higher quality than Arkansas has seen in some time. I don't doubt Mike's views are pretty accurate and insightful.

Obviously, Bielema is a highly ethical guy who means well and has done a lot of things right. The bottom line remains, at some point it comes down to wins and losses. There is obviously something not working right now.

Mike is a fan who's occupation is to cover the program he is a fan of.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 27, 2017, 01:45:56 pm

One thing's for certain.  Nothing is being "done right" as far as Razorback football goes.

sowmonella

Nailed it.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Kevin

I  totally disagree with this. their a lot of fans on here & other places who can match or beat Irwin on his knowledge of the hogs. knowledge of how programs run, knowledge of the fundamentals of the sport.

just because he has been around up there for 40 years, does not make him more knowledgeable.

like I said, they don't see anything important in practice anymore, and we all can watch the press conferences. watch the product on the field or court, and make our own decisions.  he is as wrong as he is right.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 27, 2017, 03:33:16 pm
I  totally disagree with this. their a lot of fans on here & other places who can match or beat Irwin on his knowledge of the hogs. knowledge of how programs run, knowledge of the fundamentals of the sport.

just because he has been around up there for 40 years, does not make him more knowledgeable.

like I said, they don't see anything important in practice anymore, and we all can watch the press conferences. watch the product on the field or court, and make our own decisions.  he is as wrong as he is right.

Call it a philosophical difference.

I consider media members to be professional people. Degreed. Trained. Mentored. Salaried. Have a professional network. I'm not talking about a friggin' 20-something kid who has a computer and knows how to set up a Wordpress blog. That doesn't make him a professional media person any more than knowing how to quote WebMD makes a man a doctor.

I wonder....how many Hogville posters could print off every post they have ever made, walk into the offices of a reputable newspaper, of ESPN, of CBS, etc. and say, "Here. This is how talented I am. This is my body of work. Give me an interview."

Now, I know many fans think they are on that level. The reality is that those people need to buy a hot dog and a Coke, grab a seat in the bleachers, and do what they do best. Watch.

Kevin

I will just disagree with you.

plus, he really pissed me off over Keaton McKinney a couple of years ago.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

247Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 27, 2017, 03:48:13 pm

I consider media members to be professional people. Degreed. Trained. Mentored. Have a professional network. I'm not talking about some 20-something kid who has a computer and knows how to set up a Wordpress blog. That doesn't make them a professional media person anymore than knowing how to read WebMD makes a man a doctor.

I wonder....how many Hogville posters could print off every post they have ever made, walk into the offices of a newspaper, of ESPN, of CBS, etc. and say, "Here. This is how talented I am. This is my body of work. Give me an interview."

Now, I know many fans think they are on that level. The reality is that those people need to buy a hot dog and a Coke, grab a seat in the bleachers, and do what they do best. Watch.

Wow, disagree completely here.

Actually i believe Mike is very knowledgeable. However, what you just said is why i do not like listening to Mike. You basically said we don't know darn because we have opinions. You know nothing about me nor my background. I could say you or Mike could walk into ESPN with your post and not get very far as well.

Which do you think has a bigger negative impact? A fan on a free board thinking their opinion is best? Or an Admin and media member that talks to average fans like they're dumb and need to shut up and accept what they say?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2017, 12:14:26 pm

My dog died and my wife left me......oh how I miss my dog.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WilsonHog

Quote from: 247Hog on October 27, 2017, 03:52:49 pm
Wow, disagree completely here.

Actually i believe Mike is very knowledgeable. However, what you just said is why i do not like listening to Mike. You basically said we don't know darn because we have opinions. You know nothing about me nor my background. I could say you nor Mike could walk into ESPN with your post and not get very far as well.

Which do you think has a bigger negative impact? A fan on a free board thinking their opinion is best? Or an Admin and media member that talks to average fans like they're dumb and need to shut up and accept what they say?

I have no problem with people having opinions...but all opinions are not created equal.

I'm sure I could not get past the front desk at ESPN...because I don't possess the credentials to do so. I can write, and I can speak well in public, but I did not take the career path, did not have the preparation needed, to do what he does or what any other professional media member does. By that same token, I have played and coached high school football...but that isn't going to even get me an interview at Fayetteville High School, much less at a D-I college.

Ex-Trumpet

I consider media members to be professional people. Degreed. Trained. Mentored. Salaried. Have a professional network. I'm not talking about a friggin' 20-something kid who has a computer and knows how to set up a Wordpress blog. That doesn't make him a professional media person any more than knowing how to quote WebMD makes a man a doctor.

I wonder....how many Hogville posters could print off every post they have ever made, walk into the offices of a reputable newspaper, of ESPN, of CBS, etc. and say, "Here. This is how talented I am. This is my body of work. Give me an interview."

I've worked with many professional people. Degreed. Trained. Mentored. Salaried. Have a professional network.  Heck, I am one myself!  And guess what, many of them are idiots.

And, for the journalist majors out there reading Hogville, here's some free advice:  never, never, EVER take your printed Hogville posts and submit them to a potential employer for a sample of your work!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin on October 27, 2017, 03:33:16 pm

Absolutely, Mike Irwin knows Mike Anderson, does he know more about what makes a good basketball team or what good basketball is?   Nah. 

rzrbackramsfan

We're not saying we're better writers, but that we're right on what we're talkign about.  The real indicator is who would be better at betting on games and outcomes. 

porkrindjimmy

Thank you for including me in the half dozen or so Wilson.

I appreciate that.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: snoblind on October 27, 2017, 02:59:06 pm
my mother got out of prison

It's mom...mom got out of prison. And he went to pick her up in the rain.

If we are gonna quote Dave Coe, we got to get it right.

Thank Yee

PRJ

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2017, 09:25:03 am
What I love about Hogville is how they love a media member as long as said media member agrees with them.  There have been numerous proclamations here about how we need tough media people like Mike Irwin, whenever Mike has said something that Hogville agrees with. But, let Mike say something other than Fire BB now, and he is labeled as a hack.
Ditto

Otis

So your telling me the new girl on Pig Trail Nation, has a more valid opinion than others because she (they) may or may not have a journalism degree and are getting paid to be on TV?

rzrbackramsfan

I don't know why we have what is now a 2 page thread bashing Mike lol.  I'm just waiting for Mike to pop in here and respond to something I said, get a ton of quotes/props and for me to banned for ~2 weeks. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 27, 2017, 04:17:34 pm
Absolutely, Mike Irwin knows Mike Anderson, does he know more about what makes a good basketball team or what good basketball is?   Nah.
I bet he knows more than BB about football.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 27, 2017, 04:28:02 pm
It's mom...mom got out of prison. And he went to pick her up in the rain.

If we are gonna quote Dave Coe, we got to get it right.

Thank Yee

PRJ

David Allan Coe, to be exact.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 27, 2017, 03:57:24 pm
I have no problem with people having opinions...but all opinions are not created equal.

I'm sure I could not get past the front desk at ESPN...because I don't possess the credentials to do so. I can write, and I can speak well in public, but I did not take the career path, did not have the preparation needed, to do what he does or what any other professional media member does. By that same token, I have played and coached high school football...but that isn't going to even get me an interview at Fayetteville High School, much less at a D-I college.

Wilson,

I think his point culminated in the final paragraph. That's what irritates people.

Mike is like that friend that's real cool to be around 95% of the time. But it's that 5% that makes you not want to be around him.

I had a friend like that once. I'd call him and it would take about 30 seconds of listening to figure out that he was in one of those phases. I'd just say, well I gotta run. See ya later.

Unfortunately, many have already said "see ya later" because we know pretty much what's coming. We'll call every so often to see if his tone has changed.

I think that's what he was getting at.
This is my non-signature signature.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2017, 04:42:03 pm
David Allan Coe, to be exact.

Indeed...and his good friend Steve Goodman wrote that song....and after that last verse, it was the perfect country & Western song........

Coe is one of the 5 greatest songwriters of all time...and it is a shame he isn't in the country music Hall of Fame....

He has always been the rhinestone cowboy no matter what Glen Campbell had to say.

PRJ