Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for a laptop

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, April 24, 2016, 01:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

for a college person, is Windows 10 worth dealing with?

PP

Hogs run wild

i'm not a fan of windows 10. i would stay away from lenovo computers. Macs are well made. not a fan boy of macs, i have a windows computer myself. jmho
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

riccoar

Macs are well made, but well over priced to boot.  I had a Sony that lasted nearly 6 years.  Bought it at Walmart for under $500.  It went out, could have been fixed for around $160, but went to Best Buy and bought an HP for $399.  Not really seeing any issues with Windows 10.  Had upgraded the Sony to it for free before that laptop died.  Didn't see any issues.  The new HP has it and I have had zero problems with W10.

HogScoutMaster

Buy direct from the manufacturer, do not buy from Wal-Mart best buy or where ever else.  Stick with the source.   
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Horsesrus

Last couple I have bought were Asus.  I soured on Dell, but I've been reading if you buy a higher level of Dell you are fine.  I didn't like Inspiron models anymore but their XPS line is much better from what I've read.  I bought an Asus with a 256gb SSD which makes boot up time go much faster.  I was losing my mind waiting for my previous PC to start up from being powered off.  I won't buy another without an SSD.

As for Windows 10, I was annoyed at first and had to get rid of the Edge browser and a few other annoying things but I haven't had any problems since, but some minor annoyances.  While I wouldn't recommend buying at a store either, I would recommend going and trying out the keyboards.  They will be personal preference but I found a lot of variance between brands and sizes.  14 inch or less will be much lighter but keyboard presents a problem for some.  Good luck.

riccoar

Yeah, I grabbed IE11 to use instead of Edge.  But my browser of choice is Chrome.  Each person has a different preference of where to buy.  My Sony from Wally was worth it for under $500 and to get nearly 6 years of use out of it.  The replacement from Best Buy, an HP, fits my needs too.  At $399 with 1TB of space and a 17 inch display, that's not bad.  It really depends on what exactly their needs are.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: riccoar on April 26, 2016, 01:57:11 pm
Yeah, I grabbed IE11 to use instead of Edge.  But my browser of choice is Chrome.  Each person has a different preference of where to buy.  My Sony from Wally was worth it for under $500 and to get nearly 6 years of use out of it.  The replacement from Best Buy, an HP, fits my needs too.  At $399 with 1TB of space and a 17 inch display, that's not bad.  It really depends on what exactly their needs are.
how about a "chromebook"?

PP

riccoar

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 02:00:24 pm

PP
Not real familiar with those.  Seem kinda small.

majestic

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 02:00:24 pm

PP
Basically just for web browsing and email.

I usually spec out what I want and get it at Newegg.com

Here's a starting place:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=laptop&N=100006740&isNodeId=1

I haven't really had any major issues with Win10. It boots super fast on my machines.

(I bought my daughter a Macbook, btw, but that's because she is spoiled)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: majestic on April 27, 2016, 08:57:46 am
Basically just for web browsing and email.

I usually spec out what I want and get it at Newegg.com

Here's a starting place:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=laptop&N=100006740&isNodeId=1

I haven't really had any major issues with Win10. It boots super fast on my machines.

(I bought my daughter a Macbook, btw, but that's because she is spoiled)
would you consider adopting me?  Im currently looking at a HP 15 Touchscreen, $330

PP

majestic

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 27, 2016, 10:32:47 am
would you consider adopting me?  Im currently looking at a HP 15 Touchscreen, $330

PP

You are deaf, right? You'd fit right in. My kids don't listen to a darned thing I say.

(No offense meant towards you at all)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: majestic on April 27, 2016, 11:00:02 am
You are deaf, right? You'd fit right in. My kids don't listen to a darned thing I say.

(No offense meant towards you at all)
lmao, none taken.  I use it to my advantage......a lot

PP

Hogs run wild

Don't buy a Chromebook like Majestic says. My little girl has one and all it's good for is internet stuff (surfing, email, games). Hers doesn't have CD and is really under powered. Pay a little more for good stuff now and cry later.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

DeltaBoy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4777103.p?id=1219819879762&skuId=4777103

We got this for our daughter last week.  She loves it.  Bought Windows Office Pro and Web Root plus a year of Geek Squad support and a one year free replacement warranty we got out the store for about $825.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 18, 2016, 08:57:46 am
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4777103.p?id=1219819879762&skuId=4777103

We got this for our daughter last week.  She loves it.  Bought Windows Office Pro and Web Root plus a year of Geek Squad support and a one year free replacement warranty we got out the store for about $825.

Cam Newton could have sold you one a lot cheaper.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OnTheHillHogFan

Buy a Mac. Right now they are doing the student discounts so that takes care of the sales tax and when I bought a new one a few years ago they gave me a iTunes gift card that I used to by the mac equivalents of word, powerpoint etc.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 04, 2016, 05:56:11 pm
Buy a Mac. Right now they are doing the student discounts so that takes care of the sales tax and when I bought a new one a few years ago they gave me a iTunes gift card that I used to by the mac equivalents of word, powerpoint etc.
well, this would be a gift for the wife and not sure she has every laid finger on a apple product or know how to work with one....dang Windows generation

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 04, 2016, 06:57:37 pm
PP,

The best first question for you to consider and answer is this: what will this new unit (whatever it is) be used for?

(i.e. what do you want to do with it....)
for my use? Internet surfing,hogville,social media,live game streaming occasionally.
For her? Online classes for her RN degree

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Thanks for the in depth insight on this. Gives me a starting point and hopefully a path to the correct choice.

PP