Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is everyone still thinking....

Started by Granny fan, March 05, 2018, 05:15:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 07, 2018, 09:23:32 am
There is no "working ahead of" going on right now with the quarterbacks. Morris said it on Saturday. Storey confirmed it after yesterday's practice. Both said each of the quarterbacks have been given opportunities to work with the top unit. A reporter suggested that he (Storey) worked more at No. 1 on Tuesday. Storey said no, the rotations were random.

From what was said I got the impression the QB rotation will narrow after Saturday's scrimmage.

Mike,

I understand if you don't want to go where I am asking and it could be better you don't, but which QB has looked the best to you so far?

007 License To Squeal

From what I read this morning, Storey is coming on strong..
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Once i knew Morris was hired, I didn't believe Kelley would be the starter at QB in 2018 season  I still believe he might be on the field alot at another position and might throw the ball from another position.

I do not believe his time at QB last season gives him anything.  I really believe the QB position will be filled by the Guy who understands it best and can get into the correct position timely and can throw the long ball best.  Likely, in my opinion, Conner Noland if he is still around.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 11:16:28 am
Ricky Town?  (Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't get angry please)
Ty Story hasnt done shite either....

Ricky Town is still playing. And he is still the highest rated QB the Hogs have ever had. Just sayin.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hawgon

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2018, 07:52:56 am
Anyone assuming this is putting too much value on the 2017 football season. At this point I'll be surprised if Kelly is our starter.

If Bielema were here it would be a 100% foregone conclusion. Since he's not and everything minus putting on a football helmet is being done differently....no telling what is going to happen. Especially with the qb position.

I'm not so sure about that.  I heard that Morris likes to line the helmets up on the wall and the players have to take a running dive into them.

Pig in the Pokey

Bert's pet doesnt have some inside track on it. The winner will be who the coaches think is teh best. It feels great to have a staff that I know is smarter than I am about these things. i trust them.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pumbaa

I think Cole brings an element to the game that is way too intriguing not to have on the field. He is huge, strong in the pocket, hard to bring down, and has a big arm. He was young last year and think it would be foolish to say his accuracy won't improve. I'm gonna stick with my original prediction, the job is Cole's to lose.

liljo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 07, 2018, 07:12:41 pm

Ricky Town is still playing. And he is still the highest rated QB the Hogs have ever had. Just sayin.

Really? More highly rated than Mitch Mustain was? By who? Not arguing, but just pointing out how 'highly rated' doesn't always pan out.

As for those saying Ty Storey hasn't shown anything--maybe he just needs a better opportunity to do so.  I got a feeling he's getting that chance right now. He was a +.9000 4-star himself coming out of high school and has stayed here through some tough times when he certainly could have transferred someplace else. I think the kid deserves some respect. I'm pulling for him to earn the job this year. 
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

RME

Like my baseball coach used to say, "Potential doesn't mean darn if you don't do anything with it."

What has your boy Ricky done at the college level to live up to that high rating? Apart from attend about 4 different schools in 3 years.

rhames

I can't wait to see what Ricky Town does in Norvell's offense next year for the hogs!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Granny fan on March 05, 2018, 05:15:08 pm
Cole Kelly will be the starter, or is another candidate emerging?

As Coach Morris said in his Day 2 spring practice press conference, there's no QB ahead of another at this point ... he did say that after the scrimmage next week, there should be a little more clarity about the QB position, and the results will determine who will work with which team  ...

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 05, 2018, 10:51:40 pm
Too early to tell, but it's definitely gonna be fun to watch..!

You avatar cracks me up every time I see it! 

I hereby make a motion for GragT to be responsible for everyone's avatar!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: liljo on March 07, 2018, 07:26:33 pm
Really? More highly rated than Mitch Mustain was? By who? Not arguing, but just pointing out how 'highly rated' doesn't always pan out.

As for those saying Ty Storey hasn't shown anything--maybe he just needs a better opportunity to do so.  I got a feeling he's getting that chance right now. He was a +.9000 4-star himself coming out of high school and has stayed here through some tough times when he certainly could have transferred someplace else. I think the kid deserves some respect. I'm pulling for him to earn the job this year.
well, as you are surely aware, recruiting rankings change throughout the year. When Ricky Town committed to Alabama, he wasnt only a 5* #1 overall QB. He was THE #1 RECRUIT in that class. So, by final recruiting rankings Mustain may have been higher, but he was never #1 overall recruit like ole Ricky T.

At any rate, we have had 4 five * QBs since Ive been up here and only we've only gotten 3 good seasons out of the lot of them (Mustain 1, Mallett 2). I was hoping Ricky could live up to his talent. The burnout was too much for that kid. He should be seen as a cautionary tale.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rhames on March 07, 2018, 08:17:28 pm

I can't wait to see what Ricky Town does in Norvell's offense next year for the hogs!
you are an idiot. Your boy didnt get hired either.

AND I AM GLAD AF THAT NORVELL DIDNT GET THE JOB.

give it a rest you tired old bag of salt.

rhames

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 08, 2018, 08:21:38 am
you are an idiot. Your boy didnt get hired either.

AND I AM GLAD AF THAT NORVELL DIDNT GET THE JOB.

give it a rest you tired old bag of salt.

Who was my "boy?"

You're so easy to get fired up it isn't even fun anymore baw.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

010HogFan

Highly doubt it will be Storey. He hasn't shown us anything at all the times he's been in the game.

The NewEra

My 2-cents:

I see a two man race right now between Kelley & Storey.  Kelley is a scrapper and he's going to be hard to beat.  However, the same could be said for Storey. 

The guy who I think will be the starter is the one who has the ability to read opposing defenses better.  It won't be passing or running skills, but the ability to read and react quickly to what the opposing defenses do.  I certainly wouldn't rule either guy out.  It's good to see a true competition where there are no teachers pets.

As for the future, two years from now, watch out for JSJ.  That kid has remarkable poise in the pocket, he's a winner and can get out of trouble and scramble really well.  Not to mention, he's got an accurate arm on him. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 06, 2018, 09:06:01 pm
I'm not afraid of being bashed and ostracized for "thinking outside the box"; it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm wondering - simply on the basis of idle speculation - that IF - I say again IF - Cole Kelley does not prove to be the #1 (or even #2) QB in the pecking order, would it be feasible to convert him into a fullback?  I believe that he has amply demonstrated that he possesses the inherent strength and durability to both block AND run the ball upon occasion; - - and he could also conceivably be afforded the additional occasional duty of having carefully scripted opportunities to be a designed passer in certain situations.

Of course, if he has his heart irrevocably set on playing QB, - and should he be forced to face the fact that he is NOT going to be the #1 QB for The Arkansas Razorbacks, - - - then he could very conceivably opt to transfer to another program where he WOULD be assured of being the starting QB.

What say you?
We don't use Full back's we use H-Back/TE's, and no... The Ryan Mallett's and Cole Kelley's of the world don't play TE.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawgphat

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 08, 2018, 11:51:23 am
We don't use Full back's we use H-Back/TE's, and no... The Ryan Mallett's and Cole Kelley's of the world don't play TE.

Thanks for your input.  I was merely floating a "trial balloon" in an attempt to envision an active role for Cole Kelley if he should NOT prove to be our "go-to" QB.  I would hate to see a player of his physical assets and ability "ride the pine" or transfer elsewhere.

311Hog

storey was highly rated outa HS maybe he has grown enough physically to challenge.

I think whom ever it is, they will have to be very quick and accurate.  I also think there will be a package for Kelley even if he isn't the starter.

EconHawg

Quote from: 311Hog on March 08, 2018, 12:22:34 pm
storey was highly rated outa HS maybe he has grown enough physically to challenge.

I think whom ever it is, they will have to be very quick and accurate.  I also think there will be a package for Kelley even if he isn't the starter.

Will it include a fake fumble play? That was neat. ;)

311Hog

Quote from: EconHawg on March 08, 2018, 12:36:03 pm
Will it include a fake fumble play? That was neat. ;)

hah maybe worst play in the history of football.

FUMBLE ROOSKI

hawgon

I think this year may end up being like a Petrino's first year.  Everyone is going to get a shot at some point.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hawgon on March 08, 2018, 12:50:01 pm
I think this year may end up being like a Petrino's first year.  Everyone is going to get a shot at some point.

As bad as Casey Dick was, the only reason his brother or anyone else got a shot was because he was injured for a game or two..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

rhames

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 08, 2018, 01:08:28 pm
As bad as Casey Dick was, the only reason his brother or anyone else got a shot was because he was injured for a game or two..

I thought he got benched but could be wrong