Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need to lock down Matt Campbell right now

Started by #1Fan, October 28, 2017, 05:58:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 10:33:14 pm
No no. What I have said was that he did not do anything here other coaches before him had not done. HDN, Hatfield, Holtz, JFB all had 10 wins seasons. JFB, HOLTZ, Hatfield all won conf titles and all coached the team to major bowl appearances. HDN and Ford both put teams in the SECCG. That is what I have always said to those who act like BP was the only one to have done those things here.

How many 10 win seasons do we have since joining the SEC?  You just hate the guy. I don't mind that. Just say it and get over it.  The success he had here is better than anything we have had in the 25 years we have been in the SEC even the years where we went to the SEC championship games with Nutt.  Admit it for once and then get on with it.  Yeah he is doing a crap job at Louisville, but when he was here he was and is the best coach Arkansas has had since joining the SEC. If you can't admit that then you just continue to bash him and lie to yourself. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 10:37:29 pm
How many 10 win seasons do we have since joining the SEC?  You just hate the guy. I don't mind that. Just say it and get over it.  The success he had here is better than anything we have had in the 25 years we have been in the SEC even the years where we went to the SEC championship games with Nutt.  Admit it for once and then get on with it.  Yeah he is doing a crap job at Louisville, but when he was here he was and is the best coach Arkansas has had since joining the SEC. If you can't admit that then you just continue to bash him and lie to yourself. 

I only wish he would have stayed here 10 years so we would KNOW if he would have sustained 10 & 11.

Never met him, so I do not hate him or like him. What I dislike is so many would be willing to have our flagship university coached by a lying adulterer. What I hate is so many of you would wait for his autograph right after he beat your dog and harassed your wife. Just so they can beat their chest like anyone really gives a rats butt what the team you are a fan of does on Saturday. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

So that is the reasons you downplay the success that he had here and knock him for not ever getting to a sec championship game. Guy averaged more than 8 wins and gave us back to back 10 win seasons.

So is he the best coach Arkansas has had since joining the SEC? Or you going to say Houston Nutt?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 10:46:43 pm
So that is the reasons you downplay the success that he had here and knock him for not ever getting to a sec championship game. Guy averaged more than 8 wins and gave us back to back 10 win seasons.

So is he the best coach Arkansas has had since joining the SEC? Or you going to say Houston Nutt?

They both had once in a generation in state guys at their respective positions and could not get over the hump with them.

BP is a better on field coach than HDN ever though of being. Neither were very good recruiters, an both had personal demons effect their jobs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

No one is going to be a "great recruiter" here.  We will always be around 25 to 35 and that probably will never change.  We don't need a great recruiter. We need a great coach. One that can coach his players up because every year no matter what we will always be behind 4 schools in our own division in recruiting. 

Talent is important, but coaching is far more the most important in any program. You have seen schools with great talent suck because of terrible coaching. You have also seen teams with bad recruiting doing great because of great coaching. 

Arkansas will always be behind Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M every year and will be on par with Ole Miss and majority of the time out recruit Mississippi State.  That is how it has been for Arkansas for 25 years

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 11:00:11 pm
No one is going to be a "great recruiter" here.  We will always be around 25 to 35 and that probably will never change.  We don't need a great recruiter. We need a great coach. One that can coach his players up because every year no matter what we will always be behind 4 schools in our own division in recruiting. 

Talent is important, but coaching is far more the most important in any program. You have seen schools with great talent suck because of terrible coaching. You have also seen teams with bad recruiting doing great because of great coaching. 

Arkansas will always be behind Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M every year and will be on par with Ole Miss and majority of the time out recruit Mississippi State.  That is how it has been for Arkansas for 25 years

Then no matter who is here, on average they are going to be a 7 or 8 win team, and only when the stars align just right with in state talent being far above average are they going to reach higher. Then again it has been that way here since college football desegregated.

RazorbacksFTW

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 10:21:16 pm

Umm, I have been around a long time, and I have seen/heard Hog fans bash Hatfield for being boring when he had THREE 10 win seasons. And we had EXACTLY the production you described, for a decade, and Hog fans could not wait to get rid of that guy either.

I am fine with 8 or 9 wins because that is exactly what we have always been, on average.

Hatfield was an exceptionally good coach when he was at Arkansas so I don't know why exactly people wanted him gone the only reason I can think of is maybe because he was 1-5 in bowl games.
But I thought he left on his own because he didn't get along with Broyles.

Phil D

Well considering we are stuck with Coach B one more year unless he quits, Weather we like it or not. I think we are going to miss the boat with Matt Campbell.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RazorbacksFTW on October 28, 2017, 07:44:00 pm
Well he did beat TCU who blew us the fk out and Iowa State should have way less talent then we do.
He has a huge buyout though so don't count on it.

TCU led the Hogs 14-7 with 3 minutes to play in the game...geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 28, 2017, 06:01:31 pm
We could do it if we wanted.  If we wanted bad enough.

You don't  have a clue how businesses work and college sports is a business.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Ames is Paradise compared to Toledo.  If Campbell could stay there long as he did, he'll do the same at Iowa St.

Don't be scared, be smart.

WilsonHog

Has anyone bothered to ask Matt Campbell if he is interested, or do we think all we have to do is dangle some cash in front of him and he'll choose us?

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

ur

Yes it is. These reporters need to read the buyout correctly also.

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 29, 2017, 10:32:06 pm
Has anyone bothered to ask Matt Campbell if he is interested, or do we think all we have to do is dangle some cash in front of him and he'll choose us?

If I am a coach from the midwest, I am going to be very careful coming to a place where a guy who won the BIG10 3 times struggled mightily. Say what you want about the BIG when BB won it, they still won it. I know most of the upperclassmen at ISU are not his recruits, but whoever built that team built it like a BIG10 team, and Campbell is coaching it like a BIG10 team. Tough, hard nosed D, and a offense, that while not ground bound, seems much more comfortable grinding it out.