Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCurdy needs to play more

Started by HankHog, January 14, 2006, 06:52:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HankHog

McCurdy needs to be the main point guard.  After watching the game today that is obvious.  He may not be as "long" as Dontell but his intensity is much better and his defense is just as good as Dontell's and much better than Modica's.  When he is on the court the team just "clicks".  He causes everyone else on the court to be better.  The offense becomes more aggressive and sharp.  That is something that will not show up in the stat column but it is true.  With McCurdy, Ferguson and Brewer on the court, Vanderbilt had two shot clock violations.  I would love to know why McCurdy did not play more in the 2nd half.  If he had played as much in the second half as the first we would have won by 20.  Without him we lost our lead and then had to gain it back.

It was very interesting to hear the calls for McCurdy coming from the crowd today.  Apparently others recognize what I did today.  Hopefully Stan will start recognizing that also.

CiriusPorker

The thing that I love about McCurdy is that his addition to the game is not just scoring, but the energy he brings.

Did anyone who went find Charles Thomas' performance excellent today.  I think with some good direction, he could be an NBA player in a few years.

hogfankb

Quote from: CiriusPorker on January 14, 2006, 06:56:45 pm
The thing that I love about McCurdy is that his addition to the game is not just scoring, but the energy he brings.

Did anyone who went find Charles Thomas' performance excellent today. I think with some good direction, he could be an NBA player in a few years.

I have always thought Thomas was very underrated. He plays hard, has a good jump shot for a big man, takes charges, and shoot free throws well. Very good all around player.

3kgthog

McCurdy v. #4 is my biggest aggravation. Dontell Jefferson was on the verge of not scoring in 3 straight games. THREE STRAIGHT GAMES! He got lucky that Vandy fouled him extremely late in the game. Is that the kind of PG you want on the floor? Not only does #4 not score, he repeatedly picks up his dribble, occassionally dribbles backwards in fear, looks scared with the ball, never looks to score, and throws bad passes once every 4-5 trips down the floor. I realize Stan probably plays him due to his height and length advantage over McCurdy, but Stan has to see that the offense dies every time #4 is in the game. He also has to notice that the defense doesn't slack off much once McCurdy is in the game.  So Stan, please get #4 aka "The Invisible Man" aka "The Phantom" out of the game and let the freshman play.

cream$$$

McCurdy should be our pg because he is in fact the only pg on our roster who is eligible to play.  Jefferson is a defensive role player.  His long arms are needed when our opponents start nailing 3 pointers.  That's when he came in in the second half today and it worked.  McCurdy's defense is solid but he's a good few inches shorter than the majority of SEC point guards.  I say let our only pg play the point and bring in Jefferson off the bench whenever the other team hits a couple of threes in a row.  But unlike today, remember to bring McCurdy back into the game once the other team is back in check so we can bury them even quicker.  Also, we need to play more man-to-man than zone with McCurdy in the game so we can make sure it's only the pg trying to shoot over him and because McCurdy just knows how to find his way through screens.  Today, we were in zone defense when he got shot over by their wingman and shooting guard.  Leave the zone for Jefferson.

hogfankb

Actually i think we should stop going to that zone on inbounds plays all together. We just don't rotate correctly and usually give up easy buckets. Townes looks completely lost playing the inside of it.