Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Peyton Hillis

Started by shearman1, December 02, 2008, 03:21:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbt

Wisconsin 17
Arkansas  14

Check the boxscore for the Badgers rushing yardage.   Where was that 39 pts a game when we needed it?   That had to be the worst bowl game I've ever watched.  Well that or losing bowls to Minnesota, or UNLV or fill in the blank.   

HamShank

Quote from: LamarMundane on December 02, 2008, 06:27:44 pm
If I hear this one more time, I'll throw up. I've never heard such lack of logic in my life. One more time: did McFadden/Jones/Hillis play defense? Did they kick the ball? My recollection is of a backfield and offense putting lots of points on the board, with lots of big plays. In 2006, when they had a pretty good defense with Jamaal, Houston, and Olajubutu, they made it to Atlanta. In 2007, when the defense was average at best, they didn't. In 2007, the offense, led by those three ultra-talented backs, averaged a SCHOOL RECORD 39ppg. In other words, they did every thing they could do: those three made tons of plays.
Remember, the argument here is not about the defense or the kicking game, we're discussing the premise that having a talented backfield is sufficient for winning championships, or not. I say, clearly, it isn't.

AGAIN:

"How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?"

I hope you NEVER stop throwing up.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: HamShank on December 03, 2008, 10:04:32 pm
AGAIN:

"How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?"

Also, how does that offense score 13 points against Kentucky in 2007?  Yes, against the vaunted Kentucky defense of 2007.  The Hogs only scored 7 against Auburn the same season.  McFadden, Jones and Hillis and you score 20 points against Auburn and Kentucky combined.

LamarMundane

Quote from: jbt on December 03, 2008, 08:06:48 pm
Wisconsin 17
Arkansas  14

Check the boxscore for the Badgers rushing yardage.   Where was that 39 pts a game when we needed it?   That had to be the worst bowl game I've ever watched.  Well that or losing bowls to Minnesota, or UNLV or fill in the blank.   

I agree. I've never said no one is above criticism. And that's the first thing I would bring up for Nutt criticisms. Sure, sometimes they played great teams in bowl games; but sometimes they played very winnable games, and didn't show up(UNLV,Minnesota which I miserably sat through), or just didn't win(Wisconsin). It's the head coach's job to make sure his team is ready to play and absolutely Nutt didn't have them ready for UNLV or Minnesota. I directly blame him for that.
Now, do I think overall Nutt did a good job at Arkansas?Yes. But I'm critical of him for some things too. It's just that I'm not nearly as critical or hateful as most people on this forum. There were a lot of good things and memorable moments in his ten years here that I won't forget. Much more good than bad.

LamarMundane

Quote from: HamShank on December 03, 2008, 10:04:32 pm
AGAIN:

The Hogs were not a better overall team than Florida in 2006, outstanding backfield notwithstanding. That's why they didn't win.

LamarMundane

Quote from: RazorsEdge on December 03, 2008, 10:10:39 pm
Also, how does that offense score 13 points against Kentucky in 2007?  Yes, against the vaunted Kentucky defense of 2007.  The Hogs only scored 7 against Auburn the same season.  McFadden, Jones and Hillis and you score 20 points against Auburn and Kentucky combined.

Not sure what you mean. 39ppg is an average. A school record average. Obviously you have some games that were higher than 39 and some lower than 39.
Point is, the offense wasn't the problem; the defense was. Yes, they put up 48 points on S Car, for example, but they gave up 36. And that was a win.
Lay the blame for defensive woes wherever you want; what we're discussing here is not that, but the premise that you can win championships with just a great backfield.
I'll go even further. Throughout history, Arkansas has rarely fielded a dominant defense. The Dan Hampton/Jimmy Walker years; the 1964 team, there are a few sprinkled in. But generally, Arkansas has been blessed with some great skill position talent over the years, but has rarely had a 'championship' level defense, and that's usually been their shortcoming. This spans many coaches, obviously. So that problem is not a recent one.

Smolder

I thought this thread was about peyton hillis? Anyways, I read some quotes from denver players the other day saying how crazy peyton's muscle tone is. Anyone have a pic? He has got to be jacked if other nfl players are commenting on him.

Lake City Hog

Guys you are wasting your time talking to Lamar. Nutt was a "great coach" just a few plays away! Most huggers will always fall back to those sentiments. Yes, Nutt made it to 2 SEC CG's, Georgia thrashed us and we gave the Florida game away.
If anyone would be realistic and honest, the only thing that kept Nutt from an SEC championship and a few bowl wins was the lack of a serviceable passing game. We did not have to throw for 300 yards/game just be able to throw enough to keep the defense honest. We had that in 06 with Gus' offense, had he stayed out of the offense that year we would have an SEC championship and possibly a NC to boot!

RazorsEdge

The point I was making was that two of our losses can be tied to poor offensive output.  I would add that scoring 13 points against Tenn wouldn't have beaten them in any game all year (they gave up over 28 points a game in their other games that season)   I will say that you could blame three of our four losses in 2007 on offensive production.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: HamShank on December 02, 2008, 03:34:10 pm
Another sign of Nutt's genius.  Perhaps the most under-utilized talent at Arkansas for Nutt's entire tenure.  Well, at least he's getting his due now.

I'll say it again.  How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?

By being completely inept at developing a QB.

(And I could have just stopped at the word...inept.)
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

HawgWild

Peyton was mentioned a couple of times in this week's Sports Illustrated. He was in the Hot/Not segment as being currently "Hot". His start continues to rise.

OTTER

Good article in the Dem-Zette this morning on Hillis.  Very good read.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

dacskc

Hillis was voted Rookie of the Week and Fedex Ground Player of the week! Who could've guessed that the only member of the '07 backfield to NOT win an award so far, would be Dmac?????

(well...I take that back...Raiders, yeah)

Allow me to add.  In 07 when we had our usual no passing game, Nutt actually put in a one running back offense that he had mostly D-mac running and sometimes Felix.  The man has 3 great backs and 2 more decent running backs and no passing game and he runs a one back offense.  That is what got D-mac hurt and likely cost us a game or 2.  When the entire defense can key on you, you are likely to get hurt bad and your team isn't likely to be highly successful.  If Nutt could find his butt with both hands and a compass, he could have schemed up an offense based near entirely on the run that could have kept our defense off the field and used 3 and sometimes 4 backs on the field at the same time.  I doubt Casey was quick enough to run the wishbone but a verison of the old wing T or double wing would have worked.  Houston wasted his players, blowed the best job he could ever have had being from Arkansas and screwed players and at least one coach, not the least being Hillis.

Razorback Pastor

Quote from: gussiehog on December 02, 2008, 03:42:21 pm
I'll say it again.  No Defense.
Quote from: HamShank on December 02, 2008, 03:34:10 pm
Another sign of Nutt's genius.  Perhaps the most under-utilized talent at Arkansas for Nutt's entire tenure.  Well, at least he's getting his due now.

I'll say it again.  How do you not win an NC, or even an SEC Championship, with those three guys in your backfield?
Reggie Fish muffed punt

jabohog

Remember, the argument here is not about the defense or the kicking game, we're discussing the premise that having a talented backfield is sufficient for winning championships, or not. I say, clearly, it isn't.
No, the original post is saying Hillis seems to be a team player, even though your hero was said to say he was a cancer in the locker room. Nothing was said about defense, championships, etc. Stay on thread.

SPAL

If I hear this one more time, I'll throw up. I've never heard such lack of logic in my life. One more time: did McFadden/Jones/Hillis play defense? Did they kick the ball? My recollection is of a backfield and offense putting lots of points on the board, with lots of big plays. In 2006, when they had a pretty good defense with Jamaal, Houston, and Olajubutu, they made it to Atlanta. In 2007, when the defense was average at best, they didn't. In 2007, the offense, led by those three ultra-talented backs, averaged a SCHOOL RECORD 39ppg. In other words, they did every thing they could do: those three made tons of plays.

What you fail to point out is that we had a homerun type offense. When we scored it was Dmac or Felix hittin a homerun. we didnt sustain long drives. Between the homeruns, it was 3 and outs...which kept the defense on the field. Our lack of a passing game put our defense in many spots that a good offense wouldnt have put them in. Its not a question of having a good offense, it was a question of having a balanced offense that was built to sustain drives. We didnt. But by the numbers, yes we had a great offense. But thats not the problem.

SteveInArk

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 05, 2008, 10:45:53 pm
What you fail to point out is that we had a homerun type offense. When we scored it was Dmac or Felix hittin a homerun. we didnt sustain long drives. Between the homeruns, it was 3 and outs...which kept the defense on the field. Our lack of a passing game put our defense in many spots that a good offense wouldnt have put them in. Its not a question of having a good offense, it was a question of having a balanced offense that was built to sustain drives. We didnt. But by the numbers, yes we had a great offense. But thats not the problem.

Perfect assessment IMO.  What a waste of talent TCTWF orchestrated.  :razorback:
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown