Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's not in Anyone's Best Interest that Bielema be Fired

Started by WilsonHog, September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RebHog on September 16, 2017, 07:53:35 pm
I agree on paper it looked like a good hire. I was kinda neutral on the hire....good resume but I was worried about his style of offense working here. We wont out recruit the power house programs in the SEC so you cant beat them at their own game. My first thought when I found out was I hope this doesn't turn into Nutt 2.0. Looking at it today that would be a blessing.

I was very disappointed with the hire, but couldn't really argue against it. I then started likening BB, started seeing some flashes of some really good things.  Enough to at least keep me in the fence.  I officially jumped off last Saturday.  A dominant win of TAMU and a win over USCE, and I'm rethinking.  I really want to be given a reason to rethink things.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

rhames

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 16, 2017, 08:04:41 pm
I was very disappointed with the hire, but couldn't really argue against it. I then started likening BB, started seeing some flashes of some really good things.  Enough to at least keep me in the fence.  I officially jumped off last Saturday.  A dominant win of TAMU and a win over USCE, and I'm rethinking.  I really want to be given a reason to rethink things.

In the same boat.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RebHog

I thought he might prove me wrong his first few years ended trending upward that gave me hope. That all went down the drain in the mizz and Vtech "Guarantee" second half disasters. For me it wasn't so much that they happened its that he just stood there on the sidelines looking clueless not doing anything and that trend has continued into this year. Right or wrong yell at somebody during these dumpster fires. He just stands there squinting so hard maybe makes me wonder if he needs his eyes checked and cant really see what is going on in the game?

Swestwill66

Bret can't be fired because of huge buyout so the BOT should fire Long for coming
       up with such a ridiculous contract! Then fire themselves for approving it!

The Great Hambino

You started likening BB to what?

TNRazorbacker

I agree. He isn't getting it done but those saying he is "running the program into the ground" are just being emotional. It's much better than he found it and he'll leave it that way. I think the next coach will come into a good situation.

TexArkHogFan

Venture over to the Tennessee and LSU boards this morning.  You might feel better. And Missouri got hammered by a middle of the pack Big 10 team.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

MuskogeeHogFan

I thought that Bielema was a great hire at the time. I also think that he has brought a lot of good to the Arkansas program, though he has left a couple of wins on the field in each of the last 3 seasons.

When you consider that the TCU game was 14-7 going into the 4th quarter, it doesn't sound bad. But when you take note of the fact that we scored 7 to tie it up in the 1st quarter and then generated just 20 total yards of offense on 6 plays in the second quarter (134 yards in the 1st), it makes you wonder WTH happened from one quarter to the next? I understand about opponents defensive adjustments, but do we not adjust as well?

Then we start the 3rd with the defense stepping up and stopping a TCU 15 play, 79 yard drive by punching a ball loose and recovering it giving us the ball at our 6 yard line. 3 plays and 5 yards later and we are punting back to TCU. The defense stops TCU again and they punt back to us and we go on a really good 12 play, 78 yard drive that ends in our second chip shot FG off the upright. Of course, it never should have been a FG attempt as we were set up 1st and Goal at the TCU 3 and couldn't punch the ball in. A TD would have tied the score 14-14 and might have re-energized the team.

There is obviously something wrong. I'm not sure what it is but I know that we have enough talent to have beaten TCU. Another win left on the field.

I do know this, you can't run between the tackles with any degree of success when the defense has 7 or 8 stacked within 7 to 10 yards of the ball and they are run blitzing into every gap to shut it down. You also can't pass effectively when the first 3 reads in your progression aren't getting separation from coverage. That leads to holding the ball longer and that leads to sacks.

If this staff can't figure out how to adjust to defenses that are sticking it right in your face, attacking every gap, playing a single high safety and playing man-on-man on the receivers and the receivers can't find separation, we will see this result again.

Someone asked me if I saw any play-action last weekend? I couldn't remember, but I don't see how you couldn't utilize play action with a short drop and a quick throw on a quick inside slant behind the LB's by a TE, Slot or WR to back off the 7 to 8 in the box.

I understand everyone's frustration and disappointment. I feel the same. This offensive staff better find an answer quickly.
Go Hogs Go!

The real Hogules

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on September 16, 2017, 11:25:12 am
What is the matter with you people!  Until last season, the program was rising!  And last season there were only two games that ruined it.  That is hardly "running it into the ground!"  The thing that is running this program into the ground is the effing attitude of stupid fans.  No one has done more to destroy my appreciation for all things Razorback than this twisted effed up fan base!

So, which game did you fail to see/remember, the Missouri, VT, or Auburn game?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Kevin

I liked him his first two years when he was taking no bs from the players, suspending guys for little stuff. He lost the program when he took his foot off the gas.

Player will do what you allow them to do.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 10:07:47 am
Sometimes things just don't work out. It happens all the time. From professional to relational situations.

I feel this is the case here. I agree with you Wilson

Although it would be interesting to know what's going on in Bret's head. He really seemed to like if here for the most part.

I think he does like it at Arkansas. 

What would he do with an 8-4 season; leave or stay?

It would be his choice because Long would be ecstatic with 8-4 and the fan base should too, except the crazies.

I think he would stay.  It all starts next week.  After looking at the SEC yesterday, there isn't a team we couldn't beat except Bama, and there isn't a team we couldn't lose to. 

It all comes down to what's between their ears and it starts next week in Dallas.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogfan991 on September 16, 2017, 10:34:30 am
It's in my best interest that Bielema be fired.

That's because you probably don't care about anybody's best interest.

I agree with Wilson.  If CBB leaves, it will be his decision.  I'd rather he leave on an up note than because of a disastrous season because failure this season only means we start over AGAIN.

But if he turns it around, and that would happen if we beat TAMU next week, he probably will stay and make it here.

cypert2

Swinging on the two and the four.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: alohawg on September 16, 2017, 01:34:01 pm
In Bielema's case, the team is very much a reflection of their coach. Take a look and tell me what you see.
Flip flops and reggae.  Very laid back attitude.

Kevin

cbb was better, when he is suspending guys for the little things. he got away from that, and the program has suffered
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 17, 2017, 07:14:24 am
That's because you probably don't care about anybody's best interest.

I agree with Wilson.  If CBB leaves, it will be his decision.  I'd rather he leave on an up note than because of a disastrous season because failure this season only means we start over AGAIN.

But if he turns it around, and that would happen if we beat TAMU next week, he probably will stay and make it here.

Nothing will be based on one game win or lose.  I know what will be on Hogville if we lose to aTm and I know what will be on Hogville if we beat aTm.  But only the long run matters and there are scenarios that would keep him and scenarios that would send him packing.  By the way, the long run is going on five years now so don't even try to act like its one game.

HardCore

You're right....it's not in anybody's best interest....not Alabama's, not LSU's, not Auburn's, or A&M's. 
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

LZH

I have gone back and forth about this, but I honestly think now if we lose to A&M we need to cut bait and let Paul Rhoads take over. That will send a message that we are not in it to be mediocre. That will also send a message to recruits that we will not accept half-ass play on the field. I hate it, but Bielema isn't cutting it, never was going to, and never will.

KennyForAD

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Not his best interest, not Jeff Long's best interest, not in our program's best interest. Firing carries the smell of failure all the way around, on his part (for not winning enough), on Long's part (for hiring someone who was not a good fit), and on our program's part (for not being successful with a Rose Bowl coach at the helm).

No, the better course all the way around is for all parties to admit that it hasn't worked as hoped and for us to win enough games this year for Bielema to get another P5 job. Win-win for everyone.

If I had to put money on it, I would venture that scenario is far more likely than him being terminated.

Right.  Its a disaster.  A train wreck.  So... lets just give up. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2017, 11:51:46 am
I have gone back and forth about this, but I honestly think now if we lose to A&M we need to cut bait and let Paul Rhoads take over. That will send a message that we are not in it to be mediocre. That will also send a message to recruits that we will not accept half-ass play on the field. I hate it, but Bielema isn't cutting it, never was going to, and never will.

But we ARE in it to be mediocre.  We chose to pretend to have "integrity" over winning, remember?

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Not his best interest, not Jeff Long's best interest, not in our program's best interest. Firing carries the smell of failure all the way around, on his part (for not winning enough), on Long's part (for hiring someone who was not a good fit), and on our program's part (for not being successful with a Rose Bowl coach at the helm).

I agree with this for starters. One more reason may sound shocking—Jack Crowe.

The firing of a coach in mid-season has lasting negative effects (unless you're LSU.) People remember the Citadel loss as a single catastrophic event, a low-water mark for the program. And worthy—in Frank's opinion—of firing him after GAME 1.

But I don't know if everyone remembers the chaos that followed. We should. We limped through the rest of the season with an interim coach. Then pulled a coach out of retirement while we started life in the SEC. Not exactly a time for instability. Ford had a few good moments, but I always wondered how interested he was in being at Arkansas. Ford may have been as good as we could have gotten, who knows? Maybe some of you were bigger Ford fans than I was. In 5 years at Arkansas, he had THREE 2-6 SEC seasons. But had Crowe been allowed to finish out the 1992 season, while Frank shopped around, I'd like to have seen what coach comes on board at that point.

I'm not indirectly saying I wanted Crowe to have been our head coach in the first place. Maybe Frank's first mistake was hiring/promoting him. But his second was firing him to begin the season. The ripple effect of that move lasted for years.

Bielema certainly should be judged at year end. I have no earthly idea what to expect out of us the rest of the year. Maybe something will click that we haven't seen since the 3-quarter point last year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on September 17, 2017, 04:08:21 pm
I agree with this for starters. One more reason may sound shocking—Jack Crowe.

The firing of a coach in mid-season has lasting negative effects (unless you're LSU.) People remember the Citadel loss as a single catastrophic event, a low-water mark for the program. And worthy—in Frank's opinion—of firing him after GAME 1.

But I don't know if everyone remembers the chaos that followed. We should. We limped through the rest of the season with an interim coach. Then pulled a coach out of retirement while we started life in the SEC. Not exactly a time for instability. Ford had a few good moments, but I always wondered how interested he was in being at Arkansas. Ford may have been as good as we could have gotten, who knows? Maybe some of you were bigger Ford fans than I was. In 5 years at Arkansas, he had THREE 2-6 SEC seasons. But had Crowe been allowed to finish out the 1992 season, while Frank shopped around, I'd like to have seen what coach comes on board at that point.

I'm not indirectly saying I wanted Crowe to have been our head coach in the first place. Maybe Frank's first mistake was hiring/promoting him. But his second was firing him to begin the season. The ripple effect of that move lasted for years.

Bielema certainly should be judged at year end. I have no earthly idea what to expect out of us the rest of the year. Maybe something will click that we haven't seen since the 3-quarter point last year.

Good perspective here.

You can look at virtually every major college football program that has sustained success over the last century and find 20-30 year runs that have begun with one coach - or ended with one coach.  With Arkansas, 30 years of success began with Frank Broyles and ended abrubtly with Jack Crowe. 

Frank Broyles took Arkansas athletics to levels it never saw before him. He also was capable of shooting himself in the foot with impetuous decisions. He did it when he hired Crowe and again when he fired him. He did it with Nolan Richardson, even though Richardson was impetuous himself.  Neither basketball nor football have been the same since.

No matter what happens, I don't think Jeff Long makes impetuous decisions. And that is a good thing in my opinion.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.