Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's not in Anyone's Best Interest that Bielema be Fired

Started by WilsonHog, September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 16, 2017, 03:49:08 pm
I'm not the only one that believes that.

No. It wasn't until this week when someone who usually comes on to only troll when the hogs aren't doing so well said "he heard it from someone."

So Guv, who with any merit has said anything like this?

Bret has all the power in any kind of "negotiations" to fire him because if that talk ever takes place that means the decision was already made. He isn't leaving money on the table.

"we want to fire you but pay you less money "

"Aww naw I'm good. Pay me the 15 or you have to keep me"

"Ok guess we will keep you "

Yeah.....that ain't happening.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 03:40:09 pm
Yeah, we haven't played "smash mouth" in about three years.

We don't know what we are playing.  Not doing anything well and no identity whatsoever
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Biggus Piggus

Under a rock.
Under a stone.
Where will a Bielema find a home?
[CENSORED]!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: JOKERHOG on September 16, 2017, 05:50:38 pm
We don't know what we are playing.  Not doing anything well and no identity whatsoever

That's the issue. No identity in 5 years.

HoggieStyle

"Win-win"?  No such animal. Just another year....then another....and another....what do we win?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 16, 2017, 03:24:42 pm
You only hire the guy that ends up taking the job, don't you know AD 101?

and that's the only person the AD offers the job to.. the one he hired.. AD  102

Dominicanhog

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: The NewEra on September 16, 2017, 03:20:25 pm
For me it's a strong finish from here on out and no more embarrassing losses.  It's the way we have lost our games that has the fan base frustrated.  Enough of the inconsistency.  Let's be consistently better or consistently worse.  Give us a clear view of the future of the program.
I agree.  Just win next week in Dallas and establish an identity.  Figure out what kind of team you want to be and be that team.  If you want to be balanced, let Enos call his plays and see what happens.  Don't veto things in the middle of the game and stifle what Enos is trying to get started.  I honestly think that if Enos is left alone to develop his offense and can call the plays he wants to call, the team will be more balanced.  Don't know if they will be successful yet, but they will be balanced.  There has got to be a reason BB went and hired Enos.  Surely its not to just be a running team. So let the man do what he was hired to do.

If you want to be a run team only and run the ball down the throats of the defense, then let Enos go get another job and just call running plays and hope your blocking schemes and talent will be enough. Who knows, it might be. (probably not in the SEC) Either way just make a decision and stick to it and establish something cause right now nobody knows what kind of team you are.

I don't have a lot of problem with the defense so far.  They played their hearts out against TCU and got no help from the offense. The last 2 TDs were an aberration.  The D looked better than last years' D to be sure. 

I want BB to make it.  I want him to be successful but right now, the team seems like a rudderless ship that has no direction. BB has got to get that fixed before he can go any further.

redneckfriend

No, it isn't in anyone's interest and I don't think it is in the cards. A more likely scenario is, if he loses big to A&M, he resigns. He can walk away with some dignity and he won't have to face the possibility of a losing season with few or no SEC wins, something that with a loss to A&M looms as a distinct possibility. He sits out a year and then goes to a lower pressure job. As I said before- it isn't human nature to quit when you think you have your fate in your hands but if he is smart that is what he would do.

rhames

To all the "he will resign folks"........

When has a coach ever did this? And it wasn't for retirement.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 16, 2017, 06:56:30 pm
No, it isn't in anyone's interest and I don't think it is in the cards. A more likely scenario is, if he loses big to A&M, he resigns. He can walk away with some dignity and he won't have to face the possibility of a losing season with few or no SEC wins, something that with a loss to A&M looms as a distinct possibility. He sits out a year and then goes to a lower pressure job. As I said before- it isn't human nature to quit when you think you have your fate in your hands but if he is smart that is what he would do.
well, he isn't going to leave all the cash on the table.  I might be able to see him coming to JLong, if he loses big to the Aggies, and saying, "look, its just not working.  Lets negotiate a settlement and you can get a headstart on finding your new coach for next year."  He might do that, but he aint walking away empty handed.   

If he does that and JLong and the Razorback Foundation reach an agreement with him, then Long needs to take one of the Arkansas jets and fly right over here to Memphis and camp out on Mike Norvell's doorstep and see if he would come to Fayetteville.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:00:36 pm

When has a coach ever did this? And it wasn't for retirement?
If he knows he's gone after next season, he might start looking for a new gig now.  He has several productive years ahead of him, but he can't sit back and watch his reputation go down the tubes in the meantime.

rhames

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 16, 2017, 07:07:30 pm
If he knows he's gone after next season, he might start looking for a new gig now.  He has several productive years ahead of him, but he can't sit back and watch his reputation go down the tubes in the meantime.

Wishful thinking IMO. 

Also there is a difference in resigning fo take another job and just resigning.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The NewEra on September 16, 2017, 10:44:41 am
Agreed Wilson that it's not in anyone's best interest for Bielema to be fired.  I totally disagree with your scenario.

If Bielema turns this season around and wins 8 or more it will be viewed as progress.  He won't quit!

If he wins less than eight games he'll still be here for the 2018 season.  He won't be fired!  He will be sitting on the front burner of the hot seat though with a mandatory requirement to win nine or more games in 2018.

Anyone who thinks Bielema will quit has not been paying attention.  His dream is to be here for decades.
Well he might be playing in a empty stadium!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rhames

Even if he left for another job no way it pays what we are paying him.

Bielema is a lot of things. I don't think he is a quitter though. I'm also sure he loves money.

rtr

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:10:20 pm

Bielema is a lot of things. I don't think he is a quitter though. I'm also sure he loves money.
He would still get some but not all of that buyout.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:08:50 pm

Wishful thinking IMO. 

Also there is a difference in resigning fo take another job and just resigning.
It's all speculation at this point, and frankly, I'd like to see it work out for him at Arkansas. 

Surely his buyout will be reduced by his future earnings.  If not, Jeff Long needs to be (fill in the blank.)

rhames

Quote from: rtr on September 16, 2017, 07:12:22 pm
He would still get some but not all of that buyout.

No. If he left for another job he would owe us 2MM

MemphisBossHog

no it would not, but if he gets a job paying say $1M per year and his buyout calls for him to get $4M per year for say the next 3 years, then ARk would kick in $3M more and he would be made "whole" in terms of his contract with UA.  He is guaranteed that money one way or the other.  If he finds another job that pays him $4M per year, then it should take Ark off the hook.  I would think that would be the way it works.  That is normally how it works.

rhames

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 16, 2017, 07:19:31 pm
no it would not, but if he gets a job paying say $1M per year and his buyout calls for him to get $4M per year for say the next 3 years, then ARk would kick in $3M more and he would be made "whole" in terms of his contract with UA.  He is guaranteed that money one way or the other.  If he finds another job that pays him $4M per year, then it should take Ark off the hook.  I would think that would be the way it works.  That is normally how it works.

Again if he leaves on his own he doesn't get a buyout. He owes the school money.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:20:20 pm

Again if he leaves on his own he doesn't get a buyout. He owes the school money.
That might be negotiable at this point.   ;D

rhames

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 16, 2017, 07:23:43 pm
That might be negotiable at this point.   ;D

But that blows a hole in the theory though.

So why would he leave for a pay cut?

He isn't going to leave money in the table. He is going to make arkansas terminate him.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:24:57 pm
But that blows a hole in the theory though.

So why would he leave for a pay cut?
To protect the "brand."  He has twenty plus years of coaching left if he so chooses.

rhames

I for one hope he turns it around. I don't want to spend another 3 years rebuilding. That's a long shot though.

Pecos Hog

Who cares about that money then?   Whoever wants him can have him.   Come and get him, please!

cosmodrum

I just don't care anymore. Fire him, let him retire here, whatever.
Go away, batin'

Bubba's Bruisers

If he goes 5-7, think we're definitely stuck with him, because he ain't resigning, and he's likely not an attractive option to programs looking for a coach.  Ironically, he needs to go like 8-4 for there be a possibility of him getting another job if he wants out.  And at 8-4, he'd definitely get off the hot seat.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

rhames

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 16, 2017, 07:26:54 pm
To protect the "brand."  He has twenty plus years of coaching left if he so chooses.

What brand??? The whole sports world will know the truth and view it as him not being able to get it done. And quitting.

Show me where this has ever happened. That's all im saying.

People want him gone and are using leaps of logic to see a way. There is more of a chance of arkansas terminating him after the season and paying the 15 mil than there is of anything else when it pertains to him leaving.

If he isn't the coach in 2018 it's because arkansas fired him.

rhames

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 16, 2017, 07:27:00 pm

Who cares about that money then?   Whoever wants him can have him.   Come and get him, please!

And there is the problem in your scenario.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 16, 2017, 07:27:06 pm
I just don't care anymore. Fire him, let him retire here, whatever.

Another irony.  We dump him, and I have little confidence we have the leadership capable of making a solid hire.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

MemphisBossHog

sure, if he just up and quits and that's it, but that's my point.  He would come to Long to negotiate his leaving.  In essence he would use Arkansas's desire to have him leave as leverage.  He would say, "you want me to leave, well fire me and pay me OR I will resign and we can negotiate a lesser buyout."  It happens all the time so there is no messy, acrimonious "divorce,' if you will, in the media and both parties get to save face so to speak.

hogginbama

Quote from: Redhogs on September 16, 2017, 10:09:49 am
I agree with this...and the perception of our football program in state and out now is that it is a joke. That's my concern. Coaches know you CAN win here CBP proved that.

Would beg to differ about the program being a joke out of state. Live in Bama, just moved from Indiana and have connections all over the country. Most think the fans are the joke, not the program as their thought is you can build a flash fire relatively quick, but to build for longevity takes a while longer.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

rhames

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 16, 2017, 07:37:46 pm
sure, if he just up and quits and that's it, but that's my point.  He would come to Long to negotiate his leaving.  In essence he would use Arkansas's desire to have him leave as leverage.  He would say, "you want me to leave, well fire me and pay me OR I will resign and we can negotiate a lesser buyout."  It happens all the time so there is no messy, acrimonious "divorce,' if you will, in the media and both parties get to save face so to speak.

Yeah sure. He will just leave 15MM on the table.

If it happens all the time, please point me to an example..

Pecos Hog

RebHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 16, 2017, 02:06:49 pm
He's already had to fire his last hire.

Y'all need to turn on your sarcasm detectors.   ;)

While it was justifiable not really sure he HAD to. Guys the solution became clear today, Nebraska paid 820k to host N. Illinois and lost!! Quick someone who can forge CBB signature send a letter to Nebraska's AD kissing his ass. We should waive his 2M exit clause....hell lets give him that much to go back where he came from. Please stress his 3 rose bowl appearances when the conference sucked and how he will make the huskers uncommon.   ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Mikey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 16, 2017, 07:31:48 pm
Another irony.  We dump him, and I have little confidence we have the leadership capable of making a solid hire.

Didn't a majority of Hog fans believe Bielema was a "solid" hire?  Not a home run, but solid.

247Hog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:00:36 pm

When has a coach ever did this? And it wasn't for retirement.

Hugh Freeze?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

cosmodrum

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 16, 2017, 07:31:48 pm

We don't. We also cant recruit well nationally and have next to zero instate talent compared to most of our league, so it doesn't matter. I'm sure we will catch lightening in a bottle again one day, but it will just be luck. Of course, the coach will have a freezer full of dead hooker bodies and we'll go back to crap again, in glorious Arkansas fashion.
Go away, batin'

rhames

Quote from: 247Hog on September 16, 2017, 07:44:15 pm
Hugh Freeze?

No. Hugh freeze was going to get fired a la Bobby Petrino. No money due because of conduct.

He resigned before they could fire him.

Totally different.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mikey on September 16, 2017, 07:43:33 pm
Didn't a majority of Hog fans believe Bielema was a "solid" hire?  Not a home run, but solid.

Sorry, I mean an actual solid hire.  Not a perceived solid hire.

But yes, it's hard to fault Long for the BB hire. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:46:16 pm

No. Hugh freeze was going to get fired a la Bobby Petrino. No money due because of conduct.

He resigned before they could fire him.

Totally different.

Bingo.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 03:40:09 pm
Yeah, we haven't played "smash mouth" in about three years.

I agree, and the problem is BB doesn't realize that.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 07:40:22 pm

Yeah sure. He will just leave 15MM on the table.

If it happens all the time, please point me to an example..
what are you talking about? I never said he would leave $15M on the table.  I said he MIGHT offer to negotiate a lesser buyout.  LESSER than $15M and all I said was he could come to Long and offer to work something out.

Heck no, he would be foolish to leave with nothing.  I never said he would.  I don't have time to google buyouts to give examples, but the principle is that if BB is an honorable guy and he sees it isn't working, he could come to Long and offer to let his agent negotiate a buyout that isn't as punitive as the $15M but still is acceptable to BB.  I don't see how that is hard to understand.

But no, I do not see any scenario where BB just leaves and gets nothing.  He will not leave and not get some kind of buyout. 

Mikey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 16, 2017, 07:47:20 pm

So, yeah, it's not working out so far with Bielema, but I don't put a lot of blame on Long because he -- like a majority of us at the time -- felt it was a good hire.  I don't understand those that are ripping Long a new one.

PonderinHog

QuoteBut no, I do not see any scenario where BB just leaves and gets nothing.  He will not leave and not get some kind of buyout. 

Well, we could all chip in and buy him a motorcycle.

RebHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 16, 2017, 07:47:20 pm

I agree on paper it looked like a good hire. I was kinda neutral on the hire....good resume but I was worried about his style of offense working here. We wont out recruit the power house programs in the SEC so you cant beat them at their own game. My first thought when I found out was I hope this doesn't turn into Nutt 2.0. Looking at it today that would be a blessing.

rhames

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 16, 2017, 07:50:11 pm
what are you talking about? I never said he would leave $15M on the table.  I said he MIGHT offer to negotiate a lesser buyout.  LESSER than $15M and all I said was he could come to Long and offer to work something out.

Heck no, he would be foolish to leave with nothing.  I never said he would.  I don't have time to google buyouts to give examples, but the principle is that if BB is an honorable guy and he sees it isn't working, he could come to Long and offer to let his agent negotiate a buyout that isn't as punitive as the $15M but still is acceptable to BB.  I don't see how that is hard to understand.

But no, I do not see any scenario where BB just leaves and gets nothing.  He will not leave and not get some kind of buyout. 

Yeah. Dream on.

If he knows Arkansas wants to can him, he is going to make arkansas pay whatever buyout is due to him. That doesn't mean he is not honorable

Maybe you shouldn't make blanket statements of "it happens all the time" if you can't back of up.

rhames

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 16, 2017, 07:50:11 pm

I mean logically think about this. In your scenario he is asking to be fired and saying that if he is fired arkansas won't have to pay him the full buyout.

Haha