Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 QB Expectations

Started by stahawg, November 05, 2015, 05:36:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stahawg

Hey, I know this is all speculation but I would like to see several comments or expectations regarding who our next QB will be. Is Town really, really good?? Who on the roster is really showing coaches something special at practice or on the scout team? Is the assumption that we will have A Allen take over after Brandon? How is Story doing? Who will transfer??

ricepig

Not really a recruiting topic, is it?

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Theolesnort

But there is this.... it is relevant, very much so.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

tophawg19

I was a bit surprised to hear that Peavey has the strongest  Arm of all the qb's up there . but is taking longer to pick up all the playbook . i thought storey was supposed to be the big arm.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 05, 2015, 10:55:03 pm
I was a bit surprised to hear that Peavey has the strongest  Arm of all the qb's up there . but is taking longer to pick up all the playbook . i thought storey was supposed to be the big arm.

Story isn't a tremendously natural thrower of the football.......he's a big guy that kinda muscles the ball out there.....  if he cleans up his in the pocket mechanics a little he will improve but don't expect a real "live" arm.

QBs like Brady Quinn and Blane Gabbertt were very successful college QBs with similar arm talent.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

tophawg19

that surprised me . i always heard he had a rocket. Peavey is the one that interests me the most . great arm, good mobility . hopefully the light comes on for him next year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 05, 2015, 11:46:23 pm
that surprised me . i always heard he had a rocket. Peavey is the one that interests me the most . great arm, good mobility . hopefully the light comes on for him next year

I want to see what the California Kid brings to the table.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

redeye

I don't know what to think, but you have to think that Town figures into the picture.  Based on the past, you'd have to say the same about Austin Allen and maybe even think he's the favorite to start.

Is Peavey the best QB for making plays after they break down?  If not, then who?

scruf

Quote from: redeye on November 06, 2015, 01:41:35 am
Is Peavey the best QB for making plays after they break down?  If not, then who?
He might be but then again, if you play a quarterback based on plays that constantly break down then QB is probably not your biggest issue.

moto625

A. Allen bc coach B always goes with  experience

RazorPiggie

Quote from: moto625 on November 06, 2015, 08:57:13 am

CBB will go with the QB that gives them the best chance to win. Austin really doesn't have THAT much experience.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 05, 2015, 10:55:03 pm

Idk if it's the playbook or his accuracy no one has really said.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Yeah like that time he started Joel Stave as a RS/FR over Danny O'Bien and 5th year SR Phillips. That was Sarcasm

That being said I believe Austin is currently the next best QB on campus

stahawg

Not original? I wrote it myself straight from my HAWG-Loving heart........why is that not original??  WPS!

bigdaddyhawg

That is his track record.  He likes the older guys who understand the system and don't tend to make mistakes.

I'm hopeful Enos will be a major player in the QB decision process.  I think he understands what is needed to produce a true balanced offense.

But IMO I think AA will prove to be the guy we want at QB.  IMO he's got more of the "it factor" than Brandon.  I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by our QB play next year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WorfHog

IronHog

Story certainly has an adequate arm but not a big arm based on his film.  Big stout kid that looks the part.

From what I've seen Story and Town will be given every opportunity to seize the starters spot as they are the big high D1 types you need to win..... AA isn't as physically talented but has reputation as gamer and has experience.

That leaves Peavy as odd man out. 

Just opinion.  No inside knowledge.

pondwater jack

Storey can throw it 70 yards in the air.  Ive seen it.  Not on film. In person. I went to a game after I move to fort smith.  Ball on the 40. Close to halftime. He dropped back and flung it 70 yards into the endzone from the 30 or so. How much more do you need?
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

ricepig

Quote from: pondwater jack on November 06, 2015, 12:45:38 pm
Storey can throw it 70 yards in the air.  Ive seen it.  Not on film. In person. I went to a game after I move to fort smith.  Ball on the 40. Close to halftime. He dropped back and flung it 70 yards into the endzone from the 30 or so. How much more do you need?

Well, how far you throw it doesn't always equate arm strength, but it's good to know where we need to reach for a Hail Mary.

nwahogfan1

What do we really know.  Everything would have to be a guess.   Lets let it play out in the spring.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2015, 01:08:22 pm
Well, how far you throw it doesn't always equate arm strength, but it's good to know where we need to reach for a Hail Mary.

True, and the ability to get the ball out quick, on target, and with anticipation is far more important than raw velocity.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 06, 2015, 01:24:40 pm

True, and the ability to get the ball out quick, on target, and with anticipation is far more important than raw velocity.

True, but the ability to stay cool under pressure, to see the bigger picture of what's going on with the defense, and the ability to truly lead an offensive football team are even more important.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Usually the out thrown from the opposite hash mark on a rope is the best indication of arm strength. I look forward to next spring's practices, of course, after this season.

IronHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 01:26:54 pm
True, but the ability to stay cool under pressure, to see the bigger picture of what's going on with the defense, and the ability to truly lead an offensive football team are even more important.

Sure is.

If it was based off arm talent and eye test Town would be starter in the spring.

Way more to playing QB than 7on7.

Hey Super

Quote from: lefty08 on November 05, 2015, 05:51:01 pm
Nope, nor is it original

Well, we're just a bright and cheery bunch over here in the recruiting forum these days aren't we?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

PorkSoda

since this is in the recruiting forum, are we recruiting any QB's that could be a factor?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

it will be interesting to see.  I would love to have an athletic QB to add a new dimension to our offense, but as Malzahn and Strong figured out, having an athlete play QB is not always the best choice.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

redeye

Quote from: scruf on November 06, 2015, 08:42:28 am
He might be but then again, if you play a quarterback based on plays that constantly break down then QB is probably not your biggest issue.

True, but there's still value in having a QB who can make something out of nothing.  I don't think you start a QB based on that alone, but it should figure into the equation.

hawgwash

The GQBD will soon relegate the GSD to a distant memory.

TexHog188

Never. QB debates work themselves out once the season starts. Until all home game are in Fayetteville, the GSD lives on.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

PorcineSublime

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 06, 2015, 02:34:38 pm
since this is in the recruiting forum, are we recruiting any QB's that could be a factor?
Kelly is supposed to be a Mallett type arm. Not as highly rated, but my be a contender in a couple of years.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

lasthog

You make me think of Kenny Stabler. 

Never known as having great arm strength, he was extremely accurate and successful.  And despite his not having a cannon of an arm, he was considered a master of the long ball. (Preceding a loose summary from Wikipedia).

Plus he was the master of the forward fumble!  :D