Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN 300 recruit sets Arkansas visit

Started by The Recruiting Guy, November 03, 2015, 11:33:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

PorkRinds

secneahog

I love how picky this staff is with recruiting.
This guy appears to be a stud. I like the last visit. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Smokehouse

Stanford owes us a defensive recruit. That's how this works, right?
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 03, 2015, 11:33:00 am
Michael has been consistent in saying he would visit and now the date has been set.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/nov/03/espn-300-prospect-set-visit-hogs/

Richard is the defensive player you mentioned a couple weeks back that was looking to set up a visit and that when you knew youlet us know?  Same article with an OL that we would be happy about should he decide to visit?

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 03, 2015, 11:50:00 am
Richard is the defensive player you mentioned a couple weeks back that was looking to set up a visit and that when you knew youlet us know?  Same article with an OL that we would be happy about should he decide to visit?

No. Michael has told me numerous times he was going to visit and I reported it. It's someone else.

Both the defensive prospect and O-line kid have told me they're visiting. Unless something has changed that's still the plan. Once they give the ok or it's leaked out I'll say who they are.

Scott7703

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 03, 2015, 12:04:51 pm
No. Michael has told me numerous times he was going to visit and I reported it. It's someone else.

Both the defensive prospect and O-line kid have told me they're visiting. Unless something has changed that's still the plan. Once they give the ok or it's leaked out I'll say who they are.

I like the sound of that RD. Are both these kids highly rated guys?

I also think Arkansas has a great shot at Williams

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 03, 2015, 12:22:59 pm
I like the sound of that RD. Are both these kids highly rated guys?

I also think Arkansas has a great shot at Williams

Both kids would make fans excited. Doesn't mean Arkansas will get them, but a visit is all you ask for.

I think Mike probably sticks with Stanford, but I do know distance could be a factor. He's real close to his mom.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 03, 2015, 11:46:17 am
Stanford owes us a defensive recruit. That's how this works, right?
Sure would be nice if things worked out that way. Alas, however, it always seems the "rich get richer" and never want to return "favors" that may have been done them in years past. Sigh......

Hoggish1

Whoa, he brings some wood with him...

We need this man!!

RefineryHog

Him and Agim would go great together. He needs to get in his ear

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

redeye

HogFoo

This would be a good get!

What ever happened to the kid from , I think the waco area, he was huge, like 360lbs and played DL, was very strong, seems like he was interested in the hogs but havent heard anything about him in a long time.  I can't even think of his name now.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SkeeterHawg

Dominicanhog

hoghiker

Stanford would be hard to turn down  unless California just isn't your cup of tea, or whatever. Hope Hogs get him.

onebadrubi

Nobody can fault an athlete for choosing stanford over any university.  You get so much out of a stanford degree and so long as they are relevant in football I actually enjoy seeing us go up against Stanford for players.

Congrats to the kid and his family for just getting the offer from Stanford.  Now I hope he wants to be a hog

Peppa Pig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 04, 2015, 08:09:20 am
You get so much out of a stanford degree

That really depends on the field.

I keep hearing people say that about your Stanford, Vanderbilt, or Duke type of schools and it's just not always the case.  It is definitely true if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer but how many of these football recruits are following that path.  Some do, but not many.

I worked as a professional sales recruiter for 10 years and placed 1000's of candidates.  It matters if you have a degree but very few hiring managers care where it's from.  Experience and track record is the most important factor and any college graduate can get that first opportunity to start building those.  I've actually had managers turn down Harvard graduates before even interviewing them because they didn't want the "attitude that comes with that degree" and that was a $200k+ position.

Now granted, sales is only one profession and there are dozens more that a prestigious degree could be a big benefit.  But how many of these D1 athletes are going into one of those fields? 

Bottom Line:
Michael Williams, come to Arkansas and be a Hog.  If coach doesn't put you in the NFL, we'll make sure you get an excellent job with that Arkansas degree!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Peppa Pig on November 04, 2015, 09:48:10 am

I keep hearing people say that about your Stanford, Vanderbilt, or Duke type of schools and it's just not always the case.  It is definitely true if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer but how many of these football recruits are following that path.  Some do, but not many.

I worked as a professional sales recruiter for 10 years and placed 1000's of candidates.  It matters if you have a degree but very few hiring managers care where it's from.  Experience and track record is the most important factor and any college graduate can get that first opportunity to start building those.  I've actually had managers turn down Harvard graduates before even interviewing them because they didn't want the "attitude that comes with that degree" and that was a $200k+ position.

Now granted, sales is only one profession and there are dozens more that a prestigious degree could be a big benefit.  But how many of these D1 athletes are going into one of those fields? 

Bottom Line:
Michael Williams, come to Arkansas and be a Hog.  If coach doesn't put you in the NFL, we'll make sure you get an excellent job with that Arkansas degree!

You are dispelling years of "common wisdom" with this post.  Thank you.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

onebadrubi

Bottom Line:

Nothing incorrect in your thoughts here in my opinion.  But the undergrad degree offered at Stanford is better than the U of A and not as prestigious as a Harvard or Princeton. The best part of it is this recruit has the stanford door open, which is great! N

Speaking in general, an athlete that graduates from stanford might be a little more polished and had a little tougher education road.  I say this having gone through the u of a with nutts and BP players/recruits. Bielema however is really improving the quality of football players we have across the board. 

Peppa Pig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 04, 2015, 09:59:27 am
Nothing incorrect in your thoughts here in my opinion.  But the undergrad degree offered at Stanford is better than the U of A and not as prestigious as a Harvard or Princeton. The best part of it is this recruit has the stanford door open, which is great! N

Speaking in general, an athlete that graduates from stanford might be a little more polished and had a little tougher education road.  I say this having gone through the u of a with nutts and BP players/recruits. Bielema however is really improving the quality of football players we have across the board. 

Getting in to a school like Stanford shows that the young man has discipline in the classroom and the natural smarts needed to score highly on standardized testing.  In my opinion, THOSE factors and not the piece of paper from Stanford, are the most likely reasons he'll be successful in life.  Discipline, intelligence, and any college degree are some great building blocks to start with.

That same kind of weird logic could apply to recruiting.  If you've got what it takes to get accepted into Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, then there's a pretty good chance you're going to be successful even if you get your degree from Arkansas.  If a ballplayer has offers from Alabama, Ohio State, and USC, there's a pretty good chance he can be productive at Arkansas.  We've got great coaches and talent developers too.

The only trick is getting all these geniuses and 5 stars to fall for that and come to Fayetteville!

Smokehouse

Bottom Line:

I'd be more concerned with networking opportunities and chances to build connections than the actual degree. Outside of certain business fields (and in those Arkansas can compete, not beat), Stanford is going to have a clear advantage in that regard. Like you said, experience is what will eventually matter the most but Stanford gives you a better shot at getting your foot in the door right out of college.

This is not to say that Arkansas is a bad option, several programs are really rising in prestige lately, but the match goes to Stanford on the educational front. We just need to hope that what a U of A degree has to offer plus other elements weighing into the decision add up to more than the Stanford degree.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

redeye

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 04, 2015, 11:42:30 am
I'd be more concerned with networking opportunities and chances to build connections than the actual degree. Outside of certain business fields (and in those Arkansas can compete, not beat), Stanford is going to have a clear advantage in that regard. Like you said, experience is what will eventually matter the most but Stanford gives you a better shot at getting your foot in the door right out of college.

This is not to say that Arkansas is a bad option, several programs are really rising in prestige lately, but the match goes to Stanford on the educational front. We just need to hope that what a U of A degree has to offer plus other elements weighing into the decision add up to more than the Stanford degree.

That would sum up my view as well.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 03, 2015, 01:02:53 pm
Both kids would make fans excited. Doesn't mean Arkansas will get them, but a visit is all you ask for.

I think Mike probably sticks with Stanford, but I do know distance could be a factor. He's real close to his mom.

Maybe it will boil down to a 5 hour drive or a 5 hour flight.  I know which one I would pick.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2015, 07:48:57 am
Maybe it will boil down to a 5 hour drive or a 5 hour flight.  I know which one I would pick.

Flight?

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 11, 2015, 09:40:32 am
Flight?

Difference in driving to Fayetteville or flying to stanford.  I think that is what he is saying

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 11, 2015, 10:25:48 am
Difference in driving to Fayetteville or flying to stanford.  I think that is what he is saying

I guess he's talking about finances.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 11, 2015, 10:27:35 am
I guess he's talking about finances.

Or just the fact of having a 5 hour flight is really a 8-9 hour trip sometimes and could be a nightmare to have just to get home a few times a semester to see your family.