Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So lets break it down, who exactly do we lose after this year?

Started by Wright43, October 30, 2015, 07:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wright43

Seeing the 2016 schedule made me think we have a good shot-schedule wise, to have a good season. But its not all about the schedule, its more about the team. So let's look at who we lose by position:

Graduating:
Offense:
QB: Brandon Allen
O-Line: Sebastian Tretola, Mitch Smothers, Marcus Danenhauer
TE: Alex Voelzke
Defense:
D-Line: Demarcus Hodge, Mitchell Loewen
Secondary: Rohan Gaines
Special Teams:
Long Snapper: Drew Gorton

Potentially Leaving Early for the NFL:
Offense:
Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Hunter Henry, Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper(?), Keon Hatcher(?)
Defense: (none)

EDIT:
Released from the Program:
Jojo Robinson
Kendrick Edwards

So looking into next year,

Our defense will be largely the same. That's definitely good news. We do need some more depth though, especially at LB.

Our offense, however, will be different at major positions. We'll have a new QB, at least some new pieces on the O-Line, and probably a different 2 starting RBs. Fortunately we'll return all our WRs, and hopefully most of the TEs.

Looking at what we have, I'd say our biggest need for next year (other than QB) will be RBs to step up. Can Rawleigh recover and play at a high level? Is Kody Walker good enough to be one of the top 2 backs, game in and game out? How good can Juan Day be? Can we land a big time RB recruit?

I'd say our biggest recruiting needs are LB depth, a stud RB or two-ready to play as a freshman quality, and more O-Lineman.

What are your thoughts?

WriterWrong

Just my opinion, and no real reason as to why I think this way, but I think J-Will is gone early (obviously) and Kirkland will be gone.

I think AC, Henry, Skipper and Hatcher will all come back.

That would set up to have a successful year.

tophawg19

pretty accurate . i'm not even sure DK  is gone . he hasn't had the kind of year he wanted to. Had a decent one but is capable of more .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Smokehouse

Quote from: WriterWrong on October 30, 2015, 09:45:10 pm
Just my opinion, and no real reason as to why I think this way, but I think J-Will is gone early (obviously) and Kirkland will be gone.

I think Skipper and Hatcher will be back. I don't see how AC can increase his stock any more with another year in college. He should declare early just in financial terms, but maybe he loves it here and we luck into another year.

Henry I'm not sure about. His biggest weakness is blocking which could deflate his stock a lot and lead him to coming back. On the other hand, he's obviously really good at route running and catching the ball, there's not a plethora of good TE options coming out of college, and there's good precedent in the NFL for both taking TEs who can't block well and for letting rookie TEs basically sit their first year in the league, so he could learn blocking schemes on an NFL roster while getting a pay check. I think all of that translates into a high score pre-draft and him declaring, but who knows.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

tophawg19

the conflict between A/C and CBB  may push him to the pro's . he has been in the doghouse for a while now .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

lefty08

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 30, 2015, 10:32:58 pm
the conflict between A/C and CBB  may push him to the pro's . he has been in the doghouse for a while now .

All this "conflict" doesn't seem to have affected his attitude or effort for 3 years now. He seems to be the type of guy who needs this comfort for motivation. The lack of maturity could actually keep him here another year
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ThisTeetsTaken

If I'm any college RB I'm gone as soon as I'm eligible and my draft score is decent.  RB's only have so many hits they can take.  Might as well take them for a paycheck.  (or at least a bigger paycheck now that college players are being paid above the table)
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ldfergu

This. He doesn't seem to grasp what CBB is preachin.

trphog

JMO - big chance that Henry and Collins go. I hope they both stay but don't think it's likely. I think Kirkland and Skipper stay. Neither of them have had the type of impact this year that warrants a high draft slot.

hoglady

Beliema doesn't expect AC back.
Beliema said the other day JWill and AC are rated as 2 of the Top 4 backs in the draft.
If that holds - AC SHOULD not even consider coming back.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bballjws2004

Theolesnort

Things are to fluid to say for now, we have to wait and see.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

cpohog

Quote from: hoglady on October 31, 2015, 12:26:20 pm
Beliema said the other day JWill and AC are rated as 2 of the Top 4 backs in the draft.

Add to this the fact that Fournette-LSU and Chubb-UGA will probably go Pro after next season. This will factor into the decision IMO.

Smokehouse

Quote from: hoglady on October 31, 2015, 12:26:20 pm

I think this plays out just like Portis. AC clearly should go, but until the draft we'll have people trying to make the weaknesses in his game into a bigger deal than they are.

He's an excellent pass blocker, has great vision, good burst, and his only knock is he doesn't have the top-line speed of some other impact backs. His game translates really well to the pros and another year in college isn't going to make him faster.

Like I said above, unless another year of college is just more valuable to him than money, he's gone. I'd declare if I were him.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hoglady

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 31, 2015, 01:25:09 pm
I think this plays out just like Portis. AC clearly should go, but until the draft we'll have people trying to make the weaknesses in his game into a bigger deal than they are.

He's an excellent pass blocker, has great vision, good burst, and his only knock is he doesn't have the top-line speed of some other impact backs. His game translates really well to the pros and another year in college isn't going to make him faster.

Like I said above, unless another year of college is just more valuable to him than money, he's gone. I'd declare if I were him.

I forget which announcer said it a few games back - but in his opinion AC is the most pro ready back in college football this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jry04

Quote from: hoglady on October 31, 2015, 05:25:51 pm
I forget which announcer said it a few games back - but in his opinion AC is the most pro ready back in college football this year.
He will likely go pro, and probably should, but whoever said that was just trying to please Arkansas fans or hasn't watched much football. There are 5 or 6 guys who will go before him, with JWill likely being one of them.

scooby21322

If you're Collins, I'm not sure how you can see what happened to JWill and not feel compelled to declare. 

Overrated

We need a fast LB and a shutdown corner.... with agim pass rushing and what we currently have on D I would feel good about the experience coming back if we had some speed at LB and a corner that could cover the top WR at every school

Pig in the Pokey

I'm with you although DK could be back and Henry could be gone.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

redeye

Looks like we lost Jojo and Edwards today, so you can add them.

I don't think there's any excuse to not finish with a winning SEC record in 2016.  2017 will be much tougher.

jackflash

I think Collins is gone. If Hunter is consider the number one TE in the draft he should go. Kirkand depends on what the scouts are telling him

Lake City Hog

Why SHOULD any kid go? I see 2 maybe 3 reasons.
1. Financial--family etc.
2. Personality-- Just not a college type kid-- feels like the rules are too rigid. etc.
3. Injury-- I would think Rb would fit this category best.

Personally, I see AC fitting at least 2 of these.
HH?? I don't think money is an issue. He seems to love the college game and TE is not a position with injury concerns.
Kirkland and Skipper?? Not sure of their personal life, but I just don't see them as being truly ready.

Wright43

Quote from: trphog on October 31, 2015, 10:32:32 am
JMO - big chance that Henry and Collins go. I hope they both stay but don't think it's likely. I think Kirkland and Skipper stay. Neither of them have had the type of impact this year that warrants a high draft slot.

I think Collins is almost definitely gone, and Henry really could be. I think he's rated as the number 1 or 2 TE by most draft guys, so his stock has almost nowhere to go but down-which means he probably should go. Unless he really loves being a Razorback.

I have the feeling (just complete personal opinion) that Kirkland would like to go pro ASAP, but I don't think his draft grade after this season would be as good as it could be. I think another year would really help his stock. I also felt the same about Philon last year though, and we saw how that turned out.... 

Wright43

Quote from: redeye on October 31, 2015, 11:42:25 pm
Looks like we lost Jojo and Edwards today, so you can add them.

I don't think there's any excuse to not finish with a winning SEC record in 2016.  2017 will be much tougher.

Added that.

And our schedule is hard next year, but we have a lot of the tough games at home. We could really have a great season, but I think a lot depends on our QB/RB situation next year.

ChicoHog

Will hatcher qualify for a medical redshirt?  He got hurt in the third game I believe?  I can't remember.  If he can come back for the last couple of games he may choose to do that and not come back next year. 

Wright43

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 01, 2015, 12:16:57 pm
Will hatcher qualify for a medical redshirt?  He got hurt in the third game I believe?  I can't remember.  If he can come back for the last couple of games he may choose to do that and not come back next year.

I'm almost positive he gets the redshirt and will be coming back. I forget exactly where I heard that, so it could be off, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

lefty08

Quote from: Wright43 on November 01, 2015, 12:41:18 pm
I'm almost positive he gets the redshirt and will be coming back. I forget exactly where I heard that, so it could be off, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I don't think hatcher ever redshirted. .......
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

scruf

HH could've gone after last year if he would've been eligible.

sickboy

What conflict?

jcul28

I think Keon, Skipper and Kirkland come back. Hunter is a toss up in my opinion. I also think AC leaves. With that and the injury status of RW Unknown and the unfortunate proneness to injury that KW has, what will our offense be like? Especially with inexperience at QB. An average at best QB with no depth at RB is awfully worrisome.

woodhog14

Quote from: Wright43 on October 30, 2015, 07:49:26 pm
Seeing the 2016 schedule made me think we have a good shot-schedule wise, to have a good season. But its not all about the schedule, its more about the team. So let's look at who we lose by position:

Graduating:
Offense:
QB: Brandon Allen
O-Line: Sebastian Tretola, Mitch Smothers, Marcus Danenhauer
TE: Alex Voelzke
Defense:
D-Line: Demarcus Hodge, Mitchell Loewen
Secondary: Rohan Gaines
Special Teams:
Long Snapper: Drew Gorton

Potentially Leaving Early for the NFL:
Offense:
Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Hunter Henry, Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper(?), Keon Hatcher(?)
Defense: (none)

EDIT:
Released from the Program:
Jojo Robinson
Kendrick Edwards

So looking into next year,

Our defense will be largely the same. That's definitely good news. We do need some more depth though, especially at LB.

Our offense, however, will be different at major positions. We'll have a new QB, at least some new pieces on the O-Line, and probably a different 2 starting RBs. Fortunately we'll return all our WRs, and hopefully most of the TEs.

Looking at what we have, I'd say our biggest need for next year (other than QB) will be RBs to step up. Can Rawleigh recover and play at a high level? Is Kody Walker good enough to be one of the top 2 backs, game in and game out? How good can Juan Day be? Can we land a big time RB recruit?

I'd say our biggest recruiting needs are LB depth, a stud RB or two-ready to play as a freshman quality, and more O-Lineman.

What are your thoughts?

J-Will is a senior, so he will be gone no matter what.

King Kong

Quote from: woodhog14 on November 01, 2015, 02:48:30 pm
J-Will is a senior, so he will be gone no matter what.

There is this new thing called Redshirting. He could come back next year if he wanted.

However he has made it clear he plans to go pro.

Lake City Hog

I count 12 scholarship seniors, JoJo, Edwards and Ramsey for 15. I think we lose AC to the NFL and possibly 1 or 2 transfers. To me we are looking at 18, maybe 19 open scholarships unless we use a couple of the scholarships awarded to walk-ons.

incHOGnito

Quote from: lefty08 on November 01, 2015, 12:44:11 pm
I don't think hatcher ever redshirted. .......

No but he has to get a medical redshirt because he played this season.

SPAL

Quote from: sickboy on November 01, 2015, 02:30:55 pm
What conflict?

You know, the one where BB holds him accountable for things like showing up on time, doing things the right way, and keeping him out of trouble. In today's culture, it is referred to as conflict. When I was growing up, it was called a mentor.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 02, 2015, 12:42:58 am
You know, the one where BB holds him accountable for things like showing up on time, doing things the right way, and keeping him out of trouble. In today's culture, it is referred to as conflict. When I was growing up, it was called a mentor.

And all the time, I thought it was just life.

RedyorNot

Hunter's Mom and Dad would like to see him graduate first I believe but they are leaving the decision up to him.

WooPig90

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 01, 2015, 09:42:45 pm
I count 12 scholarship seniors, JoJo, Edwards and Ramsey for 15. I think we lose AC to the NFL and possibly 1 or 2 transfers. To me we are looking at 18, maybe 19 open scholarships unless we use a couple of the scholarships awarded to walk-ons.

CBB said they were expecting to sign 18 and now its 20 that Jojo and Edwards are gone

Dropkick

ricepig

Quote from: WooPig90 on November 02, 2015, 12:39:03 pm
CBB said they were expecting to sign 18 and now its 20 that Jojo and Edwards are gone

Actually he said it could be 22-23.

ricepig

We're at 15, he said 2RB's and 4 OL, we've got 1 OL, so that makes it 20, and we are still on some other defensive guys, looks like 23 to me.

ricepig

Lake City Hog

Add Colquitt and we are at 17 + 4 maybe 5 transfer/NFL departures and we are now looking at 21 and possibly 22 open schollys. I could see a QB, RB and maybe a DL(2) decide to move for more PT.

hawgmasta

AC3 and HH should both be gone; I would say it's 90% plus unless they just love it at Arkansas which is cool. They are both tops at their positions though and will be gone within three rounds which is pretty much guaranteed that team is gonna keep you on roster for the rookie contract to see how you play out.

I didn't realize people thought HH was coming back. Dude is basically top 2-3 rated TE by every expert; he should be gone. While TE's shelf life is much longer than a RB its still another year his body will be taking NFL damage which wears down even the freak athletes (look at clowney), so why not make some money while doing it. I personally think HH is a second round guy at the moment which is huge. They can work on blocking but he has elite size, hands, route running and speed is more than adequate.

I used to think, man, this sucks when all these guys leave early. It shows that we know how to develop and or take highly rated guys and keep them that way. With all the recruiting services and ratings by sports sites the current recruits eat it up when we send guys early and in high rounds; it's good for the hogs.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 30, 2015, 10:15:03 pm
I think Skipper and Hatcher will be back. I don't see how AC can increase his stock any more with another year in college. He should declare early just in financial terms, but maybe he loves it here and we luck into another year.

Henry I'm not sure about. His biggest weakness is blocking which could deflate his stock a lot and lead him to coming back. On the other hand, he's obviously really good at route running and catching the ball, there's not a plethora of good TE options coming out of college, and there's good precedent in the NFL for both taking TEs who can't block well and for letting rookie TEs basically sit their first year in the league, so he could learn blocking schemes on an NFL roster while getting a pay check. I think all of that translates into a high score pre-draft and him declaring, but who knows.
Mel Kiper has him as 1st TE that comes off the board ... He's gone

Dominicanhog

our  biggest losses are AC and JW... Kirkland and HH ore 50/50,I'll say one stays and one goes...

all that said... if BA wins 4 of 5,  he is by far our biggest loss..