Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest Question

Started by Mitch C, October 28, 2015, 02:46:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch C

Honestly, I am not trying to bash anyone, I am just asking a question.  Why are the coaches excited about Cole Kelly.  I know he is tall, and I watched his highlight videos.  But why did no one else pick up on him.  I saw somewhere where he is ranked 3rd in Louisiana for QB's.  His highlights looked pretty good, but is there something here I am missing?  Admittedly, I am not smart, so that is possible.  Nothing against Cole.  He is better than I ever thought about.  I know rankings don't matter, but I just thought we could get a higher ranked player.

carolinahogger

I am not an insider, but I would guess that they think the kid is potentially a good QB at this level.

scruf

Quote from: Mitch C on October 28, 2015, 02:46:25 am
Honestly, I am not trying to bash anyone, I am just asking a question.  Why are the coaches excited about Cole Kelly.  I know he is tall, and I watched his highlight videos.  But why did no one else pick up on him.  I saw somewhere where he is ranked 3rd in Louisiana for QB's.  His highlights looked pretty good, but is there something here I am missing?  Admittedly, I am not smart, so that is possible.  Nothing against Cole.  He is better than I ever thought about.  I know rankings don't matter, but I just thought we could get a higher ranked player.
"Honest question" posts are almost always passive-aggressive digs at or doubts about players or coaches which are uncleverly disguised as someone who "just wants some more information." This falls in that category.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: scruf on October 28, 2015, 06:11:33 am
"Honest question" posts are almost always passive-aggressive digs at or doubts about players or coaches which are uncleverly disguised as someone who "just wants some more information." This falls in that category.

That may be, but let's assume for the moment that it's not a dig at CK. I know nothing about him besides the fact that he accepted an offer from us and isn't scared off by Town.  So let me rephrase the OP's question:  Can anyone who watches HS QBs tell us what they see in CK compared to other highly rates HS QBs?

EFBAB

RME

A lot of NFL-caliber QB's were 3-stars. I'll trust the coaches on who they wanna go after.

Wildhog

He was one of the first QB's we offered, and we offered very early, so we got the one that we wanted.  Just have to trust the staff's evaluation.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: scruf on October 28, 2015, 06:11:33 am

Maybe not.  I think it's a decent question.  Not a great one, perhaps, but not necessarily what you are assigning it to be.  Not sure, though.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Oklahawg

CK is seen as the guy with the body type to grow into an elite QB. Tough to boot, when having to run.

The word I got last summer is the staff can't believe more haven't tried to recruit him harder. They think he is a steal, a major cannon potential QB with vision and moxie.

Think about it - the first time CBB gets a QB of his "own" and we offer early and take the commitment. This kid optimizes something in the eyes of the staff.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 28, 2015, 12:03:56 pm
CK is seen as the guy with the body type to grow into an elite QB. Tough to boot, when having to run.

The word I got last summer is the staff can't believe more haven't tried to recruit him harder. They think he is a steal, a major cannon potential QB with vision and moxie.

Think about it - the first time CBB gets a QB of his "own" and we offer early and take the commitment. This kid optimizes something in the eyes of the staff.

There you go. A real answer.  I do wonder, though, whether Storey and Peavey qualify as CBB's "own."

EFBAB

The Recruiting Guy

Cole had a very good three day camp in June. The coaches were able to work with him first hand. They liked what they saw.

havok

Projection!!

You recruit a player based on where they will be 1, 2 or 3 years later. So I assume the coaches see something (Fundamentals, Football IQ, and or skills that translate to what they can coach up) they like and know he will only get better.

Star watching is often an exercise on current level of High School talent..but in some cases, 4-5 years later you still have a 4-5 star High School player.