Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold Case

Started by Oklahawg, October 27, 2015, 10:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

A lot of recruiting forum angst builds up. From August 1 (start of HS summer camps) until Thanksgiving, the recruiting trail turns "cold" as recruits focus on their senior year. College staffs have to split time between prepping for games and recruiting. Certainly, senior season action cools the interest in some recruits and heats up interest in others.

But, for recruitniks (ie, those of us who read this forum regularly) the recruiting lull is crushing. We struggle to find clues to how we are standing with our top wishlist recruits.

My favorite example of this currently is the obsession with RB recruiting. It is not like the staff is ignoring the position. CBB and staff visited (it appears) 6 RBs during the bye week. When playing with the big dogs for the services of some we have to be patient. We should not conclude that the lack of additional RB options on our commit list means we are failing.

The trail may be cold but it is still there. Five more weeks, and then we'll have more news than we can keep up with.

Bet we wind up with two of the six we targeted last week: Porter, White, Whaley, Pennamon, Ragas and Boyd, fiww. Just not any time soon.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dropkick

greenie

This doesn't make the next 5 weeks any easier...but you're right, Okla. 

Huds_HawgTide

We needs it...we needs the precious
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 27, 2015, 10:14:32 pm
A lot of recruiting forum angst builds up. From August 1 (start of HS summer camps) until Thanksgiving, the recruiting trail turns "cold" as recruits focus on their senior year. College staffs have to split time between prepping for games and recruiting. Certainly, senior season action cools the interest in some recruits and heats up interest in others.

But, for recruitniks (ie, those of us who read this forum regularly) the recruiting lull is crushing. We struggle to find clues to how we are standing with our top wishlist recruits.

My favorite example of this currently is the obsession with RB recruiting. It is not like the staff is ignoring the position. CBB and staff visited (it appears) 6 RBs during the bye week. When playing with the big dogs for the services of some we have to be patient. We should not conclude that the lack of additional RB options on our commit list means we are failing.

The trail may be cold but it is still there. Five more weeks, and then we'll have more news than we can keep up with.

Bet we wind up with two of the six we targeted last week: Porter, White, Whaley, Pennamon, Ragas and Boyd, fiww. Just not any time soon.

Those are the facts and you identified all of the Primary Suspects as you usually do. Good thoughts and excellent post. We simply need to finish as strong as possible by winning our Home Games. A win over either LSU or Ole Miss on the Road would be great.

RedyorNot

Very well said sir. Let the crescendo build!

hawginbigd1

Unfairly if these 2 don't include at least one of these I think a lot are going to be less than satisfied. As many have said before however I don't believe we have to get the elite of the elite for our type of offense. RW3 and KW are great examples IMO. Okla I am not sure your post while accurate will help my angst any at all ;D

ARtillahog

Oklahawg

I do realize that being honest is not necessarily what we all want to read.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 28, 2015, 09:01:41 am
Unfairly if these 2 don't include at least one of these I think a lot are going to be less than satisfied. As many have said before however I don't believe we have to get the elite of the elite for our type of offense. RW3 and KW are great examples IMO. Okla I am not sure your post while accurate will help my angst any at all ;D

What UA needs is a difference maker. Somewhere. Can easily be KW simply being in beast mode, fresh at this point in the season, and able to punish people. That isn't how we see it, of course. Speed doesn't have to happen at RB, it can happen at WR. It can be a TE who is fast enough to be a matchup nightmare (HH qualifies, methinks).

But, that said, I agree that we need either that elite bruiser or someone fast enough to run away from defenses. The other can be a 1000-yard rusher without either of those...I don't know that JWill or AC are "elite" RB but they prosper in our system.

redeye

Steef

gmarv

yeah I think you are spot on.its that anytime soon part,we also all know that some (supposedly hog fans) will have condemned and demanded more from the coaches .if things don,t happen right away or one of the six goes ahead and commits somewhere else.the sky will have fallen and we are doomed to failure.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 28, 2015, 11:57:12 am
I do realize that being honest is not necessarily what we all want to read.

It is for me, and you are one of the reasons I lurk in this forum way more than I post. Hell, most of the time I just jump in with a joke or two to keep it light and that's about it.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

whosiskid

Couldn't agree more with the OP. It is a terrible period of time to follow recruiting. I remember last year when we were reaching for every scrap of info about KJ Hill (oh, btw, great freshman year he is having - has not intentionally been redshirted, but he has ZERO receptions and has contributed nothing to Ohio State - does this sound familiar, like about 95% of all Arkansas kids who go out of state?).

Things will be a bit different this year, I believe, due to the fact that we already have most of our slots filled. But the interest will be intense for the few we still want to fill.

One thing I do want to point out and that is that we are probably going to have a slightly lower rated recruiting class than usual. Even one or two kids can make a big difference in your teams' rating. If we end up with 21 players, that is going to cost us ten or more slots. Instead of, say, the 23rd rated class, it could knock us down to the 32nd rated class.

Now, in 2017 the reverse could take place. We could end up taking 29 players and that could kick us up to the #16 class due to having extra players.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson