Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we gonna take any corners with these last few schollies?

Started by Country Stylz, October 27, 2015, 01:26:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

Bubba's Bruisers

The only names I've heard are Fulton and Cuffee.  Believe the former is highly unlikely, and assume the latter isn't far behind that.

Come to think of it, I've heard Alexander's name thrown out there too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Country Stylz

Fulton would be great. 247 has him favoring LSU with us having an outside shot. Would love to see us land a great cover guy with legit speed.

scruf

The corners have made a few mistakes but the play at safety has been substandard. Cornelius Floyd really would've helped the depth in the secondary this year if he could've stayed healthy. I look for Willie Sykes to contribute more on defense next year as well after mostly playing special teams this year.

Country Stylz

Been seeing a lot of separation this year. Not giving up on our young guys yet but it seems that we have been going with taller corners that may have trouble with speedy recievers. Hoping the young guys are just inexperienced and will play well next year. I'm sure players like Pulley and Cornelius Floyd have the ability though.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: scruf on October 27, 2015, 02:44:26 pm
The corners have made a few mistakes but the play at safety has been substandard. Cornelius Floyd really would've helped the depth this year if he could've stayed healthy.
Correct! Gaines has shown flashes of brilliance as he always has, but it is like a broken record, safety and LB play is not up to SEC level, and at times G5 level it seems. Turner and spaight made us look really good last year. I believe Tolliver is struggling to play the Nickel position as well, I believe he would be playing much better if he were at one of the 2 CB positions. Liddell and ramirez may not be the answers or they could be just too Green!

scruf

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 27, 2015, 02:52:02 pm
Correct! Gaines has shown flashes of brilliance as he always has, but it is like a broken record, safety and LB play is not up to SEC level, and at times G5 level it seems. Turner and spaight made us look really good last year. I believe Tolliver is struggling to play the Nickel position as well, I believe he would be playing much better if he were at one of the 2 CB positions. Liddell and ramirez may not be the answers or they could be just too Green!
I think Liddell and Ramirez just need more time. Liddell got a lot of run last year but he still split a lot of snaps with Turner. Ramirez is thinking too much but once he gets this year under his belt he should be much better. I agree he has potential. I think other players will emerge at S like Willie Sykes and Nate Dalton or possibly even a player switching positions from offense. I've always thought Duwop would be an all-conference type at S.

Bubba's Bruisers

And we only have 1 S committed this class.  I was thinking we'd be targeting 2...maybe we are, but just haven't heard any names lately.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

All these needs and no room to sign anyone. Sounds like we've got some dead weight on our team.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

I think our secondary is just young.  We have some talent, but they need time.

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on October 27, 2015, 03:16:08 pm
All these needs and no room to sign anyone. Sounds like we've got some dead weight on our team.
Accurate. I could name 5 guys without looking at the roster but I'm not going to do that here for obvious reasons.

secneahog

Collins.
Dean.
Toliver.
Pulley.
Sykes.
Dalton.
Floyd.
Liddell.
Coley.
Ramirez.
Richardson.
Phillips.
Byron Keaton.
IMG walkon.
This class we have Edwards.

We could take one more. But were pretty loaded at the secondary spot.
We can get a couple next class and be fine.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on October 28, 2015, 07:00:14 am
Collins.
Dean.
Toliver.
Pulley.
Sykes.
Dalton.
Floyd.
Liddell.
Coley.
Ramirez.
Richardson.
Phillips.
Byron Keaton.
IMG walkon.

I actually agree.  I'm not that worried about the secondary.  We have some depth there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: secneahog on October 28, 2015, 07:00:14 am
Collins.
Dean.
Toliver.
Pulley.
Sykes.
Dalton.
Floyd.
Liddell.
Coley.
Ramirez.
Richardson.
Phillips.
Byron Keaton.
IMG walkon.

Same here. We have some young and talented corners.  We dont need to go a class without signing any, but we dont need to overdo it.  We are fine there for a couple years.

I forget what year it was, but I remember MOTHO signing almost half a class with just secondary. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 28, 2015, 09:00:04 am
Same here. We have some young and talented corners.  We dont need to go a class without signing any, but we dont need to overdo it.  We are fine there for a couple years.

I forget what year it was, but I remember MOTHO signing almost half a class with just secondary. 
Ah, one of my favorite topics. Wasn't that 2004? 2002? Wound up with Matteral Richardson out of that mess, which was productive, but we were tossing out scholarships like Sonic tator tot coupons at the local playground.

The one we all forget was the DL search a few years later. We got Malcolm Shepperd but wanted 3-4 more and couldn't even find names. They actually worked that one really hard, trying to find guys to get in on late without uphill battles (committed to decent mid-majors, or already with standing offers from P5 schools - needed an easy road) and couldn't even find warm bodies.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Country Stylz on October 27, 2015, 02:47:44 pm
Been seeing a lot of separation this year. Not giving up on our young guys yet but it seems that we have been going with taller corners that may have trouble with speedy recievers. Hoping the young guys are just inexperienced and will play well next year. I'm sure players like Pulley and Cornelius Floyd have the ability though.

You should view the Robb Smith Monday presser.

He does a good job a explaining about "the fit" in pass coverage, how it requires every player understanding and executing very specific directions to make the coverage work.

Based on what he is saying I think some of it may be inexperience, some of it may be a hole at S at times, but I don't think it's that our corners aren't fast enough.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Dropkick

Looks like we are gonna have more schollies to offer than we thought.

JaketheSnake

People seem to forget what a mess we have been for so long.  We actually have a plan for all phases of the game in recruiting now!
Quote from: Oklahawg on October 28, 2015, 12:08:36 pm
Ah, one of my favorite topics. Wasn't that 2004? 2002? Wound up with Matteral Richardson out of that mess, which was productive, but we were tossing out scholarships like Sonic tator tot coupons at the local playground.

The one we all forget was the DL search a few years later. We got Malcolm Shepperd but wanted 3-4 more and couldn't even find names. They actually worked that one really hard, trying to find guys to get in on late without uphill battles (committed to decent mid-majors, or already with standing offers from P5 schools - needed an easy road) and couldn't even find warm bodies.