Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs offer Texas RB Rakeem Boyd

Started by Wildhog, October 25, 2015, 04:56:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 26, 2015, 03:37:23 pm
I think HV asking CBB to comment on recruiting when RW3 is just now leaving the hospital = a bit much.

As mentioned somewhere (hogsanity?) we are only going to sign so many really good RB before those committed scare the others away. One way to combat that is to know you are getting a "signing day announcement" from White or Whaley (you know but the other recruits do not) and sneak in an extra.

That or you are telling recruits that Hammonds gets first shot at WR, which he will for one day and then off to RB. You gotta build depth one way or another.

Best thing in the thread: RW3 is out of the hospital and able to remove the brace, as needed.

Well, it wasn't HV that asked him that question, it was asked in today's PC. Now, HV demands an answer, and he responded with 2. He said he normally wants to just sign 1/yr, but with JWill and AC both probably leaving, he said 2. He thought we had enough on campus with the addition of two incoming freshman.

greenie

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 26, 2015, 03:37:23 pm
I think HV asking CBB to comment on recruiting when RW3 is just now leaving the hospital = a bit much.

As mentioned somewhere (hogsanity?) we are only going to sign so many really good RB before those committed scare the others away. One way to combat that is to know you are getting a "signing day announcement" from White or Whaley (you know but the other recruits do not) and sneak in an extra.

That or you are telling recruits that Hammonds gets first shot at WR, which he will for one day and then off to RB. You gotta build depth one way or another.

Best thing in the thread: RW3 is out of the hospital and able to remove the brace, as needed.

Good stuff, Okla.  Agree with RW3 news. 

Coondog Hog

I know he was a generational type college back, but are any of these guys DMAC fast?  I don't have time to keep up with recruiting like I used to just curious if we are looking at any break away backs.  Collins is a great back, but he doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat like DMAC and Felix did.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

redeye

Quote from: Coondog Hog on October 26, 2015, 08:49:19 pm
I know he was a generational type college back, but are any of these guys DMAC fast?  I don't have time to keep up with recruiting like I used to just curious if we are looking at any break away backs.  Collins is a great back, but he doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat like DMAC and Felix did.

From the little video I've watched, they all seem faster then anyone we have, but asking for Dmac speed is just greedy.

ldfergu

Quote from: Coondog Hog on October 26, 2015, 08:49:19 pm

I think we had it with Korliss. What a shame

Pork Twain

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on October 26, 2015, 11:11:57 pm
I think we had it with Korliss. What a shame
Greatest back to never really do anything
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 27, 2015, 08:35:07 am

He did all kinds of stuff.   Of course it all got him kicked off the team, but he did do all kinds of things.  Especially green things.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 08:40:29 am
He did all kinds of stuff.   Of course it all got him kicked off the team, but he did do all kinds of things.  Especially green things.
Different than the Anton Beard Green things though! ;D

Styflin

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 25, 2015, 10:11:32 pm
Would not be surprised to see UA begin looking at JUCO RBs and/or put a nose in the wind to find transfer-eligible RBs.

Need three to contribute next year, in all likelihood, and counting on true frosh is a risky thing. Better hope that September's schedule features an FCS school, a girl scout troop, and a school just starting football if you are wanting to get three true frosh enough reps to avoid getting a new QB killed by blocking assignment gaffes.

Doubtful that Coach B signs 3 RBs. He absolutely loves Kody Walker and more than likely hands him the reigns next season. I'm not as high on Walker and he is injury prone.

Coach has what appears to be a fairly significant problem with Alex Collins. I wasn't sure he was going to leave early, now I'm confident he will. We will more than likely be depending on at least one freshman back next season. The JUCO route is a possibility and not something I had thought about. Head scratcher that is even on the table considering B's reputation with backs.

Hogsolo

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 25, 2015, 07:17:10 pm
Collins likely gone.
Williams likely gone.
RWIII ?.
Walker often injured and has only one year left then gone.
Day has had 2 ACL injuries.
Evans, has ever played?

We need possibly 3 running backs this year to fill out the depth chart.  I bet we see several more offers thrown out in the next couple weeks.

Damn right.  The recruiting of RB has been poorly thought out.  This isn't the Big 10, the SEC is tough on RB's.   Need two per class.   It's all across the league, see Gurley and Chubb.

You have to sign two a year.  One can be a development project and red shirt, but you need the numbers.  Remember the lack of backs in Spring?

Poor coaching and recruiting here.  That's not to say he's a bad coach, just has made a mistake here and I hope this year changes his thinking going forward.   

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: IAMHogholio on October 27, 2015, 10:12:27 am
Damn right.  The recruiting of RB has been poorly thought out.  This isn't the Big 10, the SEC is tough on RB's.   Need two per class.   It's all across the league, see Gurley and Chubb.

You have to sign two a year.  One can be a development project and red shirt, but you need the numbers.  Remember the lack of backs in Spring?

Poor coaching and recruiting here.  That's not to say he's a bad coach, just has made a mistake here and I hope this year changes his thinking going forward.

We've had two in every class but the last one, which was heavy on the defensive side of the ball. Because it had to be.  These guys are having to overcome some holes that were left in the roster with so many kids leaving.  Hopefully at some point they will catch up. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: IAMHogholio on October 27, 2015, 10:12:27 am

Give the position's usual high injury rate, I too always thought an average of 1 SEC-caliber RB per class was not sufficient for our system.  I've always suggest a 1.5 average would do.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bigdaddyhawg

I never saw anything from Korliss that said he was a "great back".  IMO he was simply speed unchained, but I never saw any ability to cut to make people miss, or instinct like AC has to find holes.

But his explosiveness did bring a dynamic that we are still missing, no doubt.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 27, 2015, 10:41:49 am
Give the position's usual high injury rate, I too always thought an average of 1 SEC-caliber RB per class was not sufficient for our system.  I've always suggest a 1.5 average would do.

Well, we are above your ratio of 1.5.  Man, that hook is always killing people in sports. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 27, 2015, 10:42:57 am
I never saw anything from Korliss that said he was a "great back".  IMO he was simply speed unchained, but I never saw any ability to cut to make people miss, or instinct like AC has to find holes.

You also only got to see a very small sample size. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Completely agree.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 10:45:32 am
Well, we are above your ratio of 1.5.  Man, that hook is always killing people in sports. 

Not sure about SEC-caliber, though. Not difficult to get bodies. Numbers don't necessarily equal appropriate talent and therefore depth.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 27, 2015, 10:46:48 am
Not sure about SEC-caliber, though. Not difficult to get bodies. Numbers don't necessarily equal appropriate talent and therefore depth.

I'm not sure we can get 2 SEC-caliber backs a year though.  I think our best hope as well as anyones is to get 1 a year and then a second that still contribute and be someone.  We desperately need a good year or two of in state rb recruits to come around.  If we have to go chasing out of state every year for our lead RB we might start to see some issues.  Odds are against us when we have to do that yearly. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 10:50:31 am
I'm not sure we can get 2 SEC-caliber backs a year though.  I think our best hope as well as anyones is to get 1 a year and then a second that still contribute and be someone.  We desperately need a good year or two of in state rb recruits to come around.  If we have to go chasing out of state every year for our lead RB we might start to see some issues.  Odds are against us when we have to do that yearly.

I agree that we need an in state stud RB.  I can't think of any we're on for the next couple of years though.  Can anyone remind me of any?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:54:56 am
I agree that we need an in state stud RB.  I can't think of any we're on for the next couple of years though.  Can anyone remind me of any?

Was thinking there was a recent thread about a couple 2017 in-state guys that are supposed to be good.  Apparently, UA staff have been checking in on them.  Check about 10 threads down.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:54:56 am

The year we can add a in state stud and go grab an out of state Collins, williams, williams III (Yes I fully believe he had every bit to be great before that injury and still hope he is able to return) is the year we can take a breath at RB depth.  BB makes a haul of 2 out state studs and that dude will get some serious praise by me. 

But to answer you question, I do think there is a real small town RB drawing some interest right now but more than that I don't even know his name.  Besides that I know of no stud at this moment within the state. 

EDIT: Carlos Blackman

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 10:59:51 am
The year we can add a in state stud and go grab an out of state Collins, williams, williams III (Yes I fully believe he had every bit to be great before that injury and still hope he is able to return) is the year we can take a breath at RB depth.  BB makes a haul of 2 out state studs and that dude will get some serious praise by me. 

But to answer you question, I do think there is a real small town RB drawing some interest right now but more than that I don't even know his name.  Besides that I know of no stud at this moment within the state. 

EDIT: Carlos Blackman

Not sure he'd be classified as a stud, nice RB though, just like the LRC kid.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 10:46:07 am
You also only got to see a very small sample size. 

True.  But he earned a lot of that with fumbling, iirc.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 27, 2015, 11:21:57 am
True.  But he earned a lot of that with fumbling, iirc.

TO be honest, I only remember him not getting as much of a chance as everyone on here wanted.  We then saw him move to kick returner and lit it up briefly.  Kid had wheels definitely. 

Music City Hog

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2015, 11:39:47 am
Looks like he'll get that 4th star!

So you're saying he's going to commit to Bama?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 27, 2015, 11:42:32 am

If he commit's he becomes a 5 star.  Just getting offered makes him a 4 star.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 27, 2015, 11:42:32 am
Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 11:51:19 am
If he commit's he becomes a 5 star.  Just getting offered makes him a 4 star.

Pork Twain

I guess you must not read hogville much...  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoopS

Going out to watch Rakeem tonight. Stratford also has a sophomore named Chase Ellis who may end up being a D1 back as well.

redeye

Quote from: HoopS on October 29, 2015, 05:00:50 pm
Going out to watch Rakeem tonight. Stratford also has a sophomore named Chase Ellis who may end up being a D1 back as well.

I hope you'll give us your opinion on what you see?

Vantage 8 dude

Wait a second. Doesn't that dubious honor go to one Kane Whitehurst or was he considered a wide out ???   

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 29, 2015, 06:27:50 pm
Wait a second. Doesn't that dubious honor go to one Kane Whitehurst or was he considered a wide out ???   

Definitely WR.

Vin Ascolese LB
1909/1964/1965/1977

HoopS

Quote from: redeye on October 29, 2015, 05:56:07 pm
I hope you'll give us your opinion on what you see?
sure.

I've been watching him for years. I don't know his official 40 time but it's gotta be good. Has a nice burst and gets up the field. Not a dancer. Rarely gets the ball thrown to him. He's a good kid. Also a legit SEC back, imo. Plays good competition and is in a balanced offense so he has to block some and does fine. I hope we get him but A&M is not far down the road. 

I know that last season he was a very big fan of the Hogs. Think we waited to offer to make sure grades were in check possibly. Stratford is a tough school so I suspect he will handle college just fine.